Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. No comeback by now :(  (Read 16424 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Porcupine Tree v. No comeback by now :(
« on: November 14, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
I can't find the band thread, and it seems to be old, so a new one won't hurt. About the news:

A Spanish prog-news web has unveiled a confirmation from a member that's near to Steven's career that he's planning to  resurrect the band after the release and tour of his next solo album. For those of you who know some spanish, this is the article. “I talked with xxx… he revealed to me that this week Wilson had said him he wanted to recover Porcupine Tree in a pair of years, in 2016.″ said the secret contact. They might consider revealing his identity soon, since he's near to the band and it's members.

I'll still wait for official confirmation, though, but - news of the year, huh?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:12:55 AM by Sacul »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Porcupine Tree v. News of the year! Possible comeback in 2016-2017
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »
I would be excited if there was some truth to it, but before we know anything, I will stay on the pessimistic side.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »
That'd be great news, if it's true. :tup

I seem to remember that a lot of folks here figured that if PT ever came back, their next album would probably be something more electronic, like Radiohead's Kid A? That'd be a pretty sweet direction to see the band go in, though I would prefer for such a move to still have a good amount of guitars present, albeit less riff-based and more textural. Like a blend of Kid A and Grace Under Pressure, so to speak.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »
With the quality of SW's solo stuff, it really doesn't matter to me whether PT comes back or not. Plus the information seems a bit suspect with this "secret contact".

That said, if it were true, I'd be pretty excited.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
With the quality of SW's solo stuff, it really doesn't matter to me whether PT comes back or not. Plus the information seems a bit suspect with this "secret contact".

Indeed, although I really feel that both are different enough musically that it'd be easy enough for them co-exist together.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »
Yeah, I know it's hard to believe, but the site is trustable, and so does their "contact", it seems. I hope Steven confirms this soon.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 08:32:48 AM »
This would be amazing if true

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
I won't get my hopes up based on rumors, but I'll be incredibly happy if that gets officially confirmed. There's nothing wrong with Steven's solo output, but I personally prefer PT's more modern sound to his solo band's jazzier approach.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:50:00 AM by ? »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
Well, these news are alright, would be nice to see another PT record; but as I'm fine with Steven's solo work too, I guess it's a win-win situation for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »
Well, these news are alright, would be nice to see another PT record; but as I'm fine with Steven's solo work too, I guess it's a win-win situation for me.

I agree.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
I believe it when I have the CD in my hands, not sooner
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
It would be nice, but whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »
Soooo sketchy.  :lol But it'd be awesome if it's true, if and only if they are all motivated enough. No matter what anyone's opinion is on TI, it was clearly less inspired than previous efforts; if they're gonna come back, I'd want it to be with a fire under their ass and full of inspiration. I'll echo what others said in that I love SW's solo work so much that, while a new PT record could be interesting, it wouldn't really bother me all that much if it didn't pan out. I would MUCH rather them not come back at all then to come back with a shitty record only to say "Okay, yeah, we're done".

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
Agreed, this kinda sounds like bullshit to me, but if it's true that would be awesome.

Steven Wilson's solo albums are good, but man, I miss Porcupine Tree. There's something about the songwriting that SW's solo albums haven't managed to capture yet, for whatever reason.

Even if there's no new album, I really hope they at least do another tour sometime, since I've never seen them live before.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »
Even if there's no new album, I really hope they at least do another tour sometime, since I've never seen them live before.
Totally this. I've just watched Arriving Somewhere, and they put on a great show. By the way, what's the name of the song on the credits?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Totally this. I've just watched Arriving Somewhere, and they put on a great show. By the way, what's the name of the song on the credits?

Revenant....it's one of the four bonus tracks from the DVD-A version of Deadwing. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »

Yeah, this. Although I'm more a fan of PT's earlier stuff anyway. Wilson's solo work is pretty fantastic though, so it doesn't really matter, as long as the man keeps releasing awesome music, I'll be content.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
I'll believe it when SW says it's happening but I would love some new PT material. I doubt SW would say anything now on the heels of a new solo release so maybe after the tour.

There is something special on PT that really clicks with me that no other SW project has been able to do so if another album comes out I'll be very excited.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
It's been 2 years since Octane Twisted came out, and it'll likely be about another 2 years before any NEW PT material gets released, so at this point, I'll believe it when I see a pre-order. Otherwise, I still won't hold my breath.

If true, then that gives SW plenty of time to promote his next solo album, Gavin enough time to tour and possibly record with King Crimson, and whatever else Richard and Colin are up to. 2016 seems reasonable, so I'll give it that, but we'll see. I'm still hyped up for SW4, as well as the prospect of new KC with Gavin on drums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
The major rumor, at least on the PT forum was from one of the most frequent (and most trusted) posters who had an unnamed source (close to the band) who said the PT break-up initially came from a small feud between Steven, and Richard/Gavin on the other side. Basically what this was all about was SW approaching the band with new material sometime after writing Grace, and Gavin/Richard not liking the direction. And if this is true, Richard and Gavin wanted to re-work the material drastically and have the whole band very involved in the process, and Steven just wasn't willing at all to let go of so much control, and that's really all up to him considering he has been the main driving force and songwriter for the band since the start, and it comes down to him in the end. But basically the "clash" in creativity and not agreeing on a direction was what caused the "rift", and that's when SW decided to make something bigger with his solo career, and he announced major tours for Grace shortly after, and has since only focused on his solo career.

Now, like everything you hear, do take this with a bit of salt. It's impossible to find out exactly what happened, and even if we heard Steven's story about it, that might not be the whole story either, so only they know. But what I do find interesting about this rumor is the fact that a lot of it makes sense. If we start with the creative side of the band, PT did have a period of time when it felt much like a band collaboration. SW was still the main guy, but from Signify to Deadwing, the band felt like a band where everybody had a lot to do with the sound. Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident were different in that sense. It became more about SW, and while it had always been mainly about him, these two albums did sweep the other guys to the side a bit more than before. An argument over direction? Totally possible. SW has said it himself that the music he wrote for Grace wasn't the cup of tea for some of the PT members, and so it would be logical. Richard/Gavin possibly wanting to get a bit more involved songwriting wise would also make sense, who doesn't want a say in the music your band makes? So again, a grain of salt, but it's not THAT far fetched and a totally plausible explanation for why they went different roads after The Incident and put the future of PT on ice. If it was a bad or friendly decision, that's really the key part of it, because that would either open the door for a PT future, or close the door completely.

SW seems very happy with the current state of his career, and why wouldn't he? While us hardcore fans still talk about Porcupine Tree, he has done a great job of breaking free from those bonds. I remember when Insurgentes came out. Not that the album received bad reception or anything, but a lot of people were worried about PT, but with the release of Grace and especially Raven, you hear those whispers less frequently, and more people seem at peace with the idea of never getting another PT album, as long as SW keeps doing what he is doing. He has reached this "godfather of prog in the 21st century" status, and his popularity isn't really decreasing despite PT being out of the picture, if anything he seems to get bigger with each solo album. It really comes down to SW and his stance on how much control he wants to have. With his solo music he has all the freedom in the world. If the current guys doesn't like what he has in mind for the next album, they can go, and SW will still be SW. In PT, he would have to adjust the music a bit more to fit the vision of the other guys, and I don't think the possibility of just firing someone in PT, or splitting ways is as likely. PT wouldn't really feel like PT without Richard, Colin or Gavin. So in conclusion, SW doesn't really need to go back to PT, unless he really wants to. His solo career is doing great, but it would really be a dream if PT came back in big fashion. After Grace and Raven and how much SW has matured as a songwriter, I want to hear the 2015-2016 Steven Wilson and his vision, with Richard, Colin and Gavin by his side. Magic would happen.  :heart

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
Personally I never felt like FOABP and TI were any more about Steven then any of the previous records were.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
Personally I never felt like FOABP and TI were any more about Steven then any of the previous records were.

I did. The records are very different from what came before.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »
I disagree.  FOABP seems like the next logical and natural step from Deadwing...and it's really not terribly different...though Sleep Together had some newer sounds on it.   

I think there was a very logical and natural flow to the progression of albums from TSMS all the way up to TI.   None seem terribly out of place with the one that preceded it.    Possibly the biggest and most noticeable shift would have come between LS and IA...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
Possibly the biggest and most noticeable shift would have come between LS and IA...

I'd say the shift from Signify to Stupid Dream would be bigger. They went from their psychedelic/Floydian phase to something a bit more song-oriented, and they even went as far to cut the opening track "Even Less" in half and take out the spacey/rocking second half.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »
Steven Wilson's solo albums are good, but man, I miss Porcupine Tree. There's something about the songwriting that SW's solo albums haven't managed to capture yet, for whatever reason.
100% this!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
I freakin' worship what SW is doing solo, but Porcupine Tree has more of a 'rock band' vibe that I really like.

It's good to see this 'news' pop up here. It doesn't surprise me. I have heard from various sources (my gf has connections with people that are involved with SW and the other PT members) that there is indeed a PT comeback coming. Although you can never be certain. I have heard this 'news' a few months ago and I was stunned. I hope it is true. But I don't believe Porcupine Tree will end their career with 'The Incident'.

Zantera, good post! I'd love that as well. And SW doing PT again wouldn't necessarily mean he can't continue releasing solo albums.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:39:17 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline adamack

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
If this is indeed true, then it is absolutely the news of the year!

For me, at least.

The only thing that could even come anywhere close is if we learned that DT are definitely releasing a new album in 2015.

But even that would pale in comparison to PT coming back, as it's been so damn long.

Don't get me wrong, I love SW as a solo artist. But overall when comparing each catalog of songs, it's PT by a reasonable stretch for me.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
I'm one of the few who isn't really big on SW's solo stuff, so nothing would please me more than PT getting back together.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
Interesting. I'll echo a couple of sentiments I've already seen here:
1. I'll believe it when I see it.
2. Yes, that would be awesome, but I love SW's solo stuff a lot, so I'm not really holding my breath.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
Interesting. I'll echo a couple of sentiments I've already seen here:
1. I'll believe it when I see it.
2. Yes, that would be awesome, but I love SW's solo stuff a lot, so I'm not really holding my breath.
100% this! Whatever's in SW's game plan after solo album #4, I'll support and respect whatever decision he takes.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
100% this!

I second this!    Also, would one of my favorite bands please come the Southeastern USA.  PT, SW, Haken, Beardfish.  Even my favorite American/Canadian band will not make an appearance.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 05:13:57 AM »
This would be such wonderful news if it were true.
For me, there are two main reasons that I want to see PT active again.

1) The PT chemistry 
No matter who SW has play with him solo, for me personally it is always going to fall short to that special chemistry that I think that the four guys in PT have.
I am a huge fan of Richard's sound textures. I love Colin's touch on bass. Always so tasteful and groovy. And of course Gavin's drumming.
When you combine that with SW, it's a totally unique sound.

2) Live
PT has such a fantastic back catalog and I imagine a lot of people  (myself included), would really like to see these great songs performed live again.

I wonder what a PT album would sound like in 2016?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 05:28:44 AM »
Special chemisrty?  I guess you haven't seen his solo band live then.  I want P-Tree back as well but I like to have both.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 05:53:01 AM »
His solo band has shifted quite a bit though. I think only two or three of them (my guess is Theo Travis, Adam Holzman and Nick Beggs) have been with SW on all tours post Grace. Guthrie Govan joined for Raven and while Minneman has played with SW on both tours, I know for a fact that SW had another drummer for at least one tour. Did these "changes" in the lineup really affect anything? Not really. We're talking great musicians, but it's not the same with his solo project that it is with PT, where every member is vital for the sound.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 05:56:28 AM »
I've seen both and I love both. But both have chemistry
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC