Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179450 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
I'm behind the thread a little bit, and I'm not a hardcore Metallica fan, so take this for what it is, but...

- When I hear the "Load/Reload should be one concise album" talk, I don't think about cutting tunes, but I do think about perhaps having two discs that are like "light and shade" or something.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new James singing (as opposed to the isolated yell with tons of echo on it) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sort of expansion beyond pure thrash (number one on my musical wish list is a solo album by James that emphasizes his love of Skynyrd and outlaw country).   What I hate is how some of the music just seems like a collection of random songs as opposed to a cohesive album.
- When I hear the talk about "LAZY", I think the only place it really shines for me is with Kirk.  I still feel like James is the coolest guy in rock, so I'm fine with that, and frankly, I don't listen to Metallica to hear Neal Peart or Bill Bruford.  I can only recount - yet again - that episode of Later... with Jools Holland that I  told in the "Metallica v. Iron Maiden" thread.  No one in that audience - a CLEARLY non-metal crowd - gave even a half a fuck about whether Lars was blurring his blast beats or whatever the terminology is. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
Awesome performance of Orion! Reminds me of how good of a track that still is. Great.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-to-announce-2018-north-american-tour-on-monday/

An arena tour of NA sounds pretty cool!

Yeah that would be great, looking forward to the announcement!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
Looking forward to it as well. Hopefully they are swinging by somewhere close.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »
Oh hell yes, in for any and all NJ/NYC shows :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
This is what I was waiting for. And Arena venue. much better sound

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2018, 04:01:38 AM »
I just got the Master of Puppets remastered vinyl and it actually sounds a lot punchier and clearer than my original CD. Definitely worth the purchase.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »

hmmm, this list of cities didn't include a NYC/NJ show https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-here-is-a-list-of-all-cities-and-venues-teasing-2018-north-american-tour/.  Let's hope for one though since thats hopefully not the full list.  They did list a University Park PA date which I would totally love to go to since a trip to my Alma Mater is something I'd love to do.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
Damn, no Metallica dates within 3.5 hours of NYC. This isn't supposed to happen to us :lol Maybe I'll use them as an excuse for a Vegas trip :hat

It is cool that they're visiting some places they haven't been to since the 80s.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »
Im trying to find out my friends wedding date which I think is in October, but if it's not that weekend, October 20th at Penn State while there's an away football game seems like a really fun weekend to me. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
Pittsburgh show!  :metal

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »
Im trying to find out my friends wedding date which I think is in October, but if it's not that weekend, October 20th at Penn State while there's an away football game seems like a really fun weekend to me. 

I was also considering trying to talk friends into maybe making that trip.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »

I was also considering trying to talk friends into maybe making that trip.

It's a simple (but long) drive down route 80.  The decision is fairly easy to me, I love going back to visit Penn State's campus.  However, hotel rooms seem really expensive that weekend, as if there was a home football game.  My friend's wedding isn't that week so I'm good, but debating about wether I'd rather just go there during a football weekend for a game instead. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »
It is so awesome that they are taking the road less traveled.  Happy for fans getting shows close to their home venues.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2018, 05:09:43 AM »
Coming to Charlotte so I'm definitely going

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »
Picked up a couple of GA floor tickets for the State College PA show.  I'm not entirely sure I'll go at this point, but wanted to scoop them up while I can.  I just hate the hotel situation out there right now for that date, but I really want to be there.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
Picked up a couple of GA floor tickets for the State College PA show.  I'm not entirely sure I'll go at this point, but wanted to scoop them up while I can.  I just hate the hotel situation out there right now for that date, but I really want to be there.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for floor tickets?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for floor tickets?

DATE   ITEM   DELIVERY METHOD   QTY   PRICE (USD)
Sat Oct 20 2018
7:30 PM   
Metallica
General Admission All Ages

Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA   USPS First Class Mail
$2.99   2   $135.00
Item Total:   $270.00
Service Fees:   $31.90
Delivery   $2.99
Total Charge   $304.89

Not cheap, but cheaper than the Metlife Stadium show last year for a much better ticket.  I can't complain about this price to be on the floor for Metallica.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Gotcha, thanks. I've been trying to get tickets for the Pittsburgh show through the fanclub pre-sale but I keep getting a message saying tickets are unavailable. Not sure if the allocated amount for pre-sale has already sold out or what.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:20 AM »
Darn. A friend just told me about tickets today and those prices are not what close to what I'm willing to pay. Guess I'll never see them :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
Darn. A friend just told me about tickets today and those prices are not what close to what I'm willing to pay. Guess I'll never see them :(

There were tickets much cheaper, I think 65 before fees. 

Gotcha, thanks. I've been trying to get tickets for the Pittsburgh show through the fanclub pre-sale but I keep getting a message saying tickets are unavailable. Not sure if the allocated amount for pre-sale has already sold out or what.

Yea they are probably gone.  I got that my first few attempts then it put me in a timed queue for 3 minutes, when it ended I had the floor tickets so I just snatched them.  I was actually first trying to get the cheaper tickets and this was at 11am on the dot.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
Listening to the Black Album which I haven't done for sometime and it's interesting when I think about the fact that it's probably the single one metal album I listened to the most through my life. I know we're all at diffrent ages so anyone older or younger than me obviously have a diffrent time perspective but to me it's pretty cool that i've listened to this album and songs since 1993 when I at 11 discovered Metallica and metal in general, can't believe that's 25 years ago. Even though Maiden is a much bigger and important band to me, this album still holds a special place for me. Dosen't mean it's my favourite album by theirs but I think you know what i'm getting at.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »
Listening to the Black Album which I haven't done for sometime and it's interesting when I think about the fact that it's probably the single one metal album I listened to the most through my life. I know we're all at diffrent ages so anyone older or younger than me obviously have a diffrent time perspective but to me it's pretty cool that i've listened to this album and songs since 1993 when I at 11 discovered Metallica and metal in general, can't believe that's 25 years ago. Even though Maiden is a much bigger and important band to me, this album still holds a special place for me. Dosen't mean it's my favourite album by theirs but I think you know what i'm getting at.

I totally get where you are coming from. I was 8 when The Black Album came out and my older brother (who got me into metal) was 16. I have vivid memories of us sitting at the kitchen table, drawing lots of fantasy art and listening to TBA. He really played that album to death, for about 3 years, but I just wasn't really into music at that stage. It was just always on in the background, seeping into my DNA. I only really remember knowing the song 'Sad But True' at that time because when my brother was taking the piss out of me, he'd say I was sad but true (and sing it James Hetfield style)  :lol

As I got older and my brother moved onto other stuff and I kind of forgot about Metallica. Then in about 2001 I was working my first job, I was 18, and listened pretty much to rap music (although I was getting into to some pop punk stuff). There was a guy I used to work with who was in his early 30s at the time. We had similar tastes in rap music and we'd stick CDs on at work. One day he bought in TBA and blasted it out (he just put it on, he didn't tell me what he was putting on). I was just like "I know all of these songs, what the fuck is this??". I went out and bought TBA as soon as I could and the rest is history. I pretty much binged Metallica for like 6 months straight and never went back to listening to rap music  :lol

Within the next few years I made a load of new friends, who were mostly metalheads (or into punk rock, which I also love). For the majority of us (and countless others of my generation, or any generation for that matter) TBA was THE gateway album for metal. It just has something that makes the inner metalhead in you sit up and go "What the fuck is THIS??". It may also be my most listened to album of all time. I now work with teenagers who have come from abusive backgrounds and I often explain to them how important music can be, and is to me, as a way of dealing with issues in your life. Most of the young people I work only want to listen to the popular rap/pop stuff that's in the charts (which is obviously fine, if it's what they want) but a few are definitely more alternative in what they look for in music. TBA is generally the album I recommend to these kids as it's kinda perfect. If they dig it then you know that metal is going to become their life!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
Really cool video about one of James' new guitars -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9LfzWTaLQ

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Ugh. That and his other Ken Lawrence guitar are my favorite guitars ever. I'd murder Stadler for one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Ugh. That and his other Ken Lawrence guitar are my favorite guitars ever. I'd murder Stadler for one.

I disagree with this
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #238 on: April 09, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »

I disagree with this

:lol

Good call on the Ken Lawrence guitars Adami, those things are works of art.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #239 on: April 09, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
Great story behind that guitar. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
Just wanted to say that the isolated vocal track from Fuel is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever heard :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmfjrQ3ik0

Offline dparrott

« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »

I was getting over a girl ditching me to go out of town to college in 92, I listened to Justice a lot (yes, on a walkman!) to numb the pain.  That's when I really got into the band.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #242 on: September 05, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
They covered When doves cry

https://youtu.be/FgQ57Gv7W7k?t=2

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #243 on: September 05, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
They covered When doves cry

https://youtu.be/FgQ57Gv7W7k?t=2

I tapped out a little less than two minutes in, that was godawful.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #244 on: September 05, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com