Author Topic: The "Christopher Nolan's Interstellar" Thread - Free Spoilers Included!  (Read 9408 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
I decided to take Blob's advice to heart and open up a separate thread for Christopher Nolan's new film, Interstellar. Spoilers are obviously going to be here. :)
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The "Christopher Nolan's Interstellar" Thread - Free Spoilers Included!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »
If I have a complaint it is the character played by Damon. For as hyped as he was by Hathaway's character as to being this 'leader' who convinced 11 others to take on that mission....he certainly seemed like an idiot to be frank. Sure he explained to Cooper as he was trying to kill him 'why' he was doing what he was doing but his decision making seemed a bit suspect. Especially the docking scene...surely he'd have known that there was a reason it wasn't a complete dock and that it was unsafe? anyway....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »
Like I said in the movie-thread; I loved this movie. #1 of the year so far. And it will most likely stay like that way from the look of the rest of the movie year 2014.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:13 AM »
If I have a complaint it is the character played by Damon. For as hyped as he was by Hathaway's character as to being this 'leader' who convinced 11 others to take on that mission....he certainly seemed like an idiot to be frank. Sure he explained to Cooper as he was trying to kill him 'why' he was doing what he was doing but his decision making seemed a bit suspect. Especially the docking scene...surely he'd have known that there was a reason it wasn't a complete dock and that it was unsafe? anyway....

He'd probably gone a bit crazy from isolation.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:54:02 AM »
This movie was a pivotal experience for me. Adjusting back to real life after I came out of the theater took longer than ever before. Thank you, Christopher Nolan!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:35:13 AM »

He'd probably gone a bit crazy from isolation.

Yeah I had thought about that but still....his character seemed very heartless even for a scientist  :lol . But it's a small nit pick.

As far as Cooper spelunking intot the black hole....I found the physical traits of the black hole neat but am curious as to if he'd have died had 'they/we' not intervened and placed him in that 5th dimension to communicate with his daughter? I mean, was Nolan trying to say that the black hole itself was a gateway to that dimension....that its artificially created or did 'they/we' just pull Cooper from it and place him somewhere else?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
I mean, was Nolan trying to say that the black hole itself was a gateway to that dimension....that its artificially created or did 'they/we' just pull Cooper from it and place him somewhere else?

By guess is on the bolded option.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
Normally, I'm not the sort of person who would notice things like this until they are revealed later in the film in its due course, but I got that he was the ghost as he was leaving his daughter's bedroom, when he was about to go through the door and the one last book fell as a last desperate message alongside the STAY. While it didn't ruin the film for me, it did mean I went through it with one eye trained on working out how he was going to become the ghost. It meant, for example, that the moment they mentioned the black hole, I was almost positive they'd find their way into it at some point.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
By the way, you might want to change the thread title. I read it quickly and thought "spoiler-free? What's the point of spoiler-free discussion of this film?", then came in here and had to look at it again. If someone who hadn't seen the film had the same experience, they'll be spewing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »

Never felt so helpless! Thx Neil!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
This movie was a pivotal experience for me. Adjusting back to real life after I came out of the theater took longer than ever before. Thank you, Christopher Nolan!

Very much this. I just saw it last night. Usually after I come out of a theater, I always have lots to say about it in the afterglow of the film. After seeing this, I could honestly not form coherent words and it took so long just to collect my thoughts on the whole thing.

I'll definitely have to see it more than once, not just cause it was such an enjoyable film, but because I feel I really need to digest it a little more. But as it stands, it's my favorite movie of the year by far.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
Nolan strikes again!!!

Seriously, this movie blew my mind, it was like a 2 1/2 hour science lesson  :lol. I loved how adventurous it was and I nearly teared up at the part when Cooper sees Murph as an adult for the first time on the video screen. Best movie of the year, no doubt.

That being said, I didn't like it as much as Inception.....that one still remains his best film IMO

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
^ I wonder what McConaughey was thinking in that scene to get so emotional.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »
^ I wonder what McConaughey was thinking in that scene to get so emotional.

How there's no other male actor in Hollywood right now that can compete with him......dude's in a zone!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
I don't think this movie would have been as good with any other acting trio.....Mackenzie Foy (young Murph) and Jessica Chastain were perfect in that role....and of course Matthew McConaughey gave another great performance. I can't think of the movie with any other actors playing those roles....?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 06:40:56 AM »

Very much this. I just saw it last night. Usually after I come out of a theater, I always have lots to say about it in the afterglow of the film. After seeing this, I could honestly not form coherent words and it took so long just to collect my thoughts on the whole thing.

I'll definitely have to see it more than once, not just cause it was such an enjoyable film, but because I feel I really need to digest it a little more. But as it stands, it's my favorite movie of the year by far.
Yep, I'm going to see it again this week.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
I loved it but I shouldn't have gone to see it in quite a low mood as it left me on a bit of a downer. :(

SPOILERS

Thinking about Coop behind that bookcase and at the end - knowing that he went off to find Brand even though the wormhole had gone and there was no way of ever getting to that planet and her being alone in cryo til humanity reaches her.

It was probably the biggest downer in a Nolan film.

I wasn't expecting some big happy Hollywood ending but not that. :lol

Also the fact that Murph was an elderly woman when they finally met up again.

I guess that was ok since she'd realised he was there the whole time after all.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
I loved it but I shouldn't have gone to see it in quite a low mood as it left me on a bit of a downer. :(

SPOILERS

Thinking about Coop behind that bookcase and at the end - knowing that he went off to find Brand even though the wormhole had gone and there was no way of ever getting to that planet and her being alone in cryo til humanity reaches her.

It was probably the biggest downer in a Nolan film.

I wasn't expecting some big happy Hollywood ending but not that. :lol

Also the fact that Murph was an elderly woman when they finally met up again.

I guess that was ok since she'd realised he was there the whole time after all.

As far as I can remember, having seen the film twice, the wormhole wasn't gone at the end of the film. There's nothing to indicate that it left. However the tesseract that Cooper found inside Gargantua closed down after he'd finished communicating the equation to Murph.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
Jonothan Nolan said in an interview with IGN that it's gone at the end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »

Well then.....for as much as I loved the movie.......that was by far the most retarded way to end it then. Cooper flying off presumably at engine power to reach a Galaxy that could be anywhere? How dumb. I was under the impression the black hole was still there. Being revealed that it's not and that Cooper just took off.....what's that suppose to prove? Ugh....just Ugh.....

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »

Well then.....for as much as I loved the movie.......that was by far the most retarded way to end it then. Cooper flying off presumably at engine power to reach a Galaxy that could be anywhere? How dumb. I was under the impression the black hole was still there. Being revealed that it's not and that Cooper just took off.....what's that suppose to prove? Ugh....just Ugh.....
Nolan worked with various physicists to write this film. I assure you, there's valid logic behind the film that proves it isn't dumb. And keep in mind, Nolan stated that much of the film is supposed to be "speculation" because it deals with various scientific theories that have yet to be proven or explored.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »

Nolan worked with various physicists to write this film. I assure you, there's valid logic behind the film that proves it isn't dumb. And keep in mind, Nolan stated that much of the film is supposed to be "speculation" because it deals with various scientific theories that have yet to be proven or explored.

I'm not saying anything leading up to the end is 'dumb'.....I've read the articles about the physicists and input...it's fascinating. What I'm saying....is that if they are suggesting that Cooper hopped into an X-Wing fighter at the end with no 'light speed'....just normal enginge propultion....aimed at a star and took off to find Brand without going throught the wormhole to do so.....that is a retarded ending and a horrible way to end a great movie.

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

I'm not saying anything leading up to the end is 'dumb'.....I've read the articles about the physicists and input...it's fascinating. What I'm saying....is that if they are suggesting that Cooper hopped into an X-Wing fighter at the end with no 'light speed'....just normal enginge propultion....aimed at a star and took off to find Brand without going throught the wormhole to do so.....that is a retarded ending and a horrible way to end a great movie.
Well, that's the thing about Nolan films that many people have problems with. Plot Holes. The majority of things that happen in the film make sense, Nolan just doesn't have the time to explain it all and connect the pieces. You have to let it slide. What Cooper did at the end of the film works perfectly well, logically speaking, it's just not explained in detail that allows you to know 'exactly' how it worked out and make sense.

As a writer, one of the trickiest things you have to master is the concept of "Suspension of Disbelief" and the only way you can accomplish that is to make sure the story is as emotionally engaging as possible, therefore it allows the viewer/reader to be comfortable with letting certain details slide.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
I wouldn't call it retarded or 'a horrible ending', but it is a hole in the movie's logic. But then, it's so obvious that I can't imagine there not being an explenation that Nolan had in mind that just didnt make it into the finished movie.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »

Link? That's news to me.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »

Link? That's news to me.

By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/08/jonathan-nolan-interstellar-spoilers

Maybe Coop and TARS / CASE had enough information from the black hole / tesseract that they knew how to create one ?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »

Link? That's news to me.

By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/08/jonathan-nolan-interstellar-spoilers

Maybe Coop and TARS / CASE had enough information from the black hole / tesseract that they knew how to create one ?

Ugh. That actually takes away from the film for me. If that's what J. Nolan's head-canon of the film is, he should have actually shown that in the film itself. Never leave something important like that out of the film and then just mention it casually in an interview. >:(

But more importantly, for me, this takes away from the film's concept of how humanity isn't supposed to stay in one place. According to the film, the wormhole leads to other galaxies besides the one the protagonists went to, so the idea of other people eventually going through to explore those other worlds would be really cool for me.

But yeah, I'm going to guess that the equation that Cooper and TARS retrieved from the tesseract would enable them to create another wormhole or find another means of interstellar travel to go reunite with Brand.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
I wouldn't call it retarded or 'a horrible ending', but it is a hole in the movie's logic. But then, it's so obvious that I can't imagine there not being an explenation that Nolan had in mind that just didnt make it into the finished movie.

I hope so....because this information that the wormhole was gone has just put a sour taste in my mouth about what I had thought to be a pretty remarkable movie. That ending is just silly now. Not only did he spend merely 5 minutes speaking to a daughter he did anything to get back to....then just leave....he jumps in a single man craft and starts to 'row' to the nearest star... :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »

I hope so....because this information that the wormhole was gone has just put a sour taste in my mouth about what I had thought to be a pretty remarkable movie. That ending is just silly now. Not only did he spend merely 5 minutes speaking to a daughter he did anything to get back to....then just leave....he jumps in a single man craft and starts to 'row' to the nearest star... :lol

Yeah, at this point, I'm really just going to have to politely ignore the Nolans' intended ending there. It really takes away from the film itself.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »

Yeah, at this point, I'm really just going to have to politely ignore the Nolans' intended ending there. It really takes away from the film itself.

Let's form a club...the 'We shall ignore that what has been revealed to be a ridiculous ending to a very good movie' club.....

Just read that linked article and sure enough....that's the intention....the wormhole is gone and Cooper is just meandering around space with a robot and a single cock pit (I guess) super space ship. Hope he took a canteen and a power bar.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
But wouldn't Murph had known it was gone? But anyway, they were near Saturn so Coop didn't have long to travel, right?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
But wouldn't Murph had known it was gone? But anyway, they were near Saturn so Coop didn't have long to travel, right?

No....the original worm hole was near Saturn....which led them who knows how far across space to a different Galaxy....where Brand is now alone on some planet.....and the worm hole to get there has now vanished. How's he gonna get to her?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »

No....the original worm hole was near Saturn....which led them who knows how far across space to a different Galaxy....where Brand is now alone on some planet.....and the worm hole to get there has now vanished. How's he gonna get to her?

Through the wormhole which is near Saturn/his space station. It'll be a short journey. :tup

I mean it's not like the wormhole closed at the ending or anything like that. :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »

Through the wormhole which is near Saturn/his space station. It'll be a short journey. :tup

I mean it's not like the wormhole closed at the ending or anything like that. :biggrin:

I hope your  :biggrin: is your way of saying that you know that's exactly what Nolan's brother stated....that the worm hole was gone at the end.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »

I hope your  :biggrin: is your way of saying that you know that's exactly what Nolan's brother stated....that the worm hole was gone at the end.

That would be the implication, yes. We are 'ignoring' that particular detail, after all. :lol :tup

Let's just allow the film to remain strong by going with our own interpretation of it, and since there really is no indication that the wormhole is gone inside the film itself, it's really not that hard to simply ignore the Nolans' intended ending and just go with what's actually inside the film itself.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea