Author Topic: What is it about Labrie's voice that some people complain about?  (Read 12127 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: What is it about Labrie's voice that some people complain about?
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »
Aboot. They say aboot, not aboat.

I think we know what we say. It's actually more like abeut.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
Pretty sure that comparing accents is easier externally.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
Pretty sure that comparing accents is easier externally.

Only if you actually hear the proper accent, and not the "stereotypical outsider's interpretation" of that accent.

Speaking of which, I watched some footage of Dream Theater performing back in 1992, and man, JLB's Canadian accent was so much heavier back then. These days, it's not noticeable at all. Or at least, it's as "Americanized" as it gets here in Toronto. Back then, he still had that heavy small town Canuck accent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
TGP, you better be on the debate team. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »
TGP, you better be on the debate team.

Something I REALLY missed out on when I was at school, it seems.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »
James' accent seems to come and go. Sometimes he has it, other times he doesn't. I've noticed it more when it's a video where someone is talking to him casually, and less when it's like a formal interview.

So I have heard three James voices - his full-on Canadian voice, his slightly more plain sounding "American" voice, and whatever the heck he has going on with his voice when he's bantering on stage.

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »
James' accent seems to come and go. Sometimes he has it, other times he doesn't. I've noticed it more when it's a video where someone is talking to him casually, and less when it's like a formal interview.

So I have heard three James voices - his full-on Canadian voice, his slightly more plain sounding "American" voice, and whatever the heck he has going on with his voice when he's bantering on stage.

Well, it was on stage, in 1992, when his Canuck accent was the heaviest I ever heard it.

But yeah, I guess it's entirely possible that in casual conversation, I simply didn't notice it because we live in the same city.  :lol

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
As a Canadian, I honestly don't know what people are saying when they refer to JLB's Canadian accent, can someone link to some YT videos showing it?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »
James IMO doesn't have a stereotypical Canadian accent. He just has terrible diction when singing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
As a Canadian, I honestly don't know what people are saying when they refer to JLB's Canadian accent, can someone link to some YT videos showing it?

This video at the very beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj50lT1H6EM

It's really not that heavy, there's just the odd word here and there that he says that sounds very Canadian. And sometimes not even the way he pronounces them, just the pacing in his speech.
I have this friend, and she speaks with a normal American accent, but the way she bends the occasional vowel, or the emphasis on certain words in her speech that makes her sound very Hispanic, since she's Puerto Rican. It's kind of the same thing with JLB in this video.

Also, funny how he refers to Kevin Moore as "The wizard". All those years ago, way before JR came into the picture.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
I have weird, mixed feelings towards this. On the one hand, I can definetly hear that JLB is a trained singer and I can't imagine another voice for DT. On the other hand, I don't really like his voice, especially regarding many live performances. There is something about his voice that just feels off to me. Not sure what it is though.

Offline Newmz

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
I think the crazy vibrato and weird diction gets people a bit.

if you listen to the human equation (ayreon), though, you get less of those things than in DT (at least in my opinion). I wonder what those same people would say about his voice there...

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with those things. I mean, I guess for some people, that might be the main issue, but I think most people just don't like his voice, which is a shame.

Can someone please give me an example of this so called "crazy vibrato"? I've never heard him do anything that I thought was too over the top. Nothing that made me go, "Whoa! That's way too much vibrato" even back when I wasn't into him.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
No offense, TGP,  but you never "hear" the stuff we point out. I doubt this instance will be any different.

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »
No offense, TGP,  but you never "hear" the stuff we point out. I doubt this instance will be any different.

Hey, I'm not expecting you to change my mind. I'm just curious what you guys consider to be "too much vibrato" from James. You could've named one part of one song, from one live release and answered my question, instead of being all snooty about it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
BTFW, Illumination Theory, the section that ends in "Money, love, and faith". It's the shrillness we were talking about, and " faith" has this super-wide vibrato that just doesn't sound good.

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »
My biggest problem is how comfortable he's gotten with his Labrie-isms. Half of the time it sounds like he's mocking the lyrics or delivering them with entirely different intonations than originally intended.

Also, I find it kind of interesting that so many people here dislike the kind of singing that made him famous in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:49:42 PM by marlencrabapple »

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2014, 05:57:23 AM »
BTFW, Illumination Theory, the section that ends in "Money, love, and faith". It's the shrillness we were talking about, and " faith" has this super-wide vibrato that just doesn't sound good.

It doesn't sound so bad. It is pretty wide, and I guess it wouldn't be too good if it was that wide on every song, but every once in a while it's okay.
Although there's not a single part of that passage that I'd refer to as shrill.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »

It doesn't sound so bad. It is pretty wide, and I guess it wouldn't be too good if it was that wide on every song, but every once in a while it's okay.
Agree. Yeah, it's wide, but it sounds good. I mean, it sounds like JLB. It's not an out-of-place excessive vibrato like the ones we can hear from him in Chaos in Motion. Even if it was corrected in the studio, that part right there is one of JLB's best live moments in recent years by far.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
Even if it was corrected in the studio, that part right there is one of JLB's best live moments in recent years by far.
This. When I first heard the studio version, I couldn't believe my ears ("wow, he can still do this?"). While watching the DVD for the first time, my heart was pumping in anticipation ("can he pull it off like in the studio or will he tone it down like on some other live bootlegs?"). He completely nailed it and I felt incredibly satisfied as shivers ran down my spine and my eyes got a little teary. James motherfuckin' LaBrie!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »

Agree. Yeah, it's wide, but it sounds good. I mean, it sounds like JLB. It's not an out-of-place excessive vibrato like the ones we can hear from him in Chaos in Motion. Even if it was corrected in the studio, that part right there is one of JLB's best live moments in recent years by far.

Hmm, don't get hung up on that specific example. I was yesterday trying to come up with an example of wide vibrato and screechiness, and obviously IT from BTFW came to my mind because it was the most recent thing I listened to. He does it regular in his performances.

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »

While I would agree that he doesn't sound particularly good on Chaos in Motion, it is pretty well known that there were some unfortunate post-processing decisions made that made him sound like that. So when it comes to Chaos in Motion, I don't really take it as an accurate example of what I'd call "JLB's worst moments". Perhaps whatever it was they did, did exaggerate his minor flaws to a somewhat unpleasant level. But on a normal basis, especially on recent recordings like BTFW and LALP, he hasn't been doing anything unpleasant, like I mentioned, except for those extremely high screams on Under A Glass Moon chorus. Otherwise, he's been in top form, I'd say. And any vibrato he's been doing, I'd say sounds good.
Of course, sadly, we'll never have the LATM JLB back, but heck he still (or should I say 'again') sounds absolutely amazing, even if you don't consider the throat injury and his age.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2014, 07:07:46 AM »
WTF ?  :facepalm:

JLB is the perfect singer for DT, period.  :metal

With age it become more and more difficult for him to take care of his vocal chords, yet he still a great singer, but I think that the criticism about his voice will never end... :yeahright

And concerning this quote : "Of course, sadly, we'll never have the LATM JLB back..."
It's a joke right ?? The vocals on LATM were "re-recorded" in the studio, this is a well known fact!!
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2014, 07:38:57 AM »
And concerning this quote : "Of course, sadly, we'll never have the LATM JLB back..."
It's a joke right ?? The vocals on LATM were "re-recorded" in the studio, this is a well known fact!!
Yeah, but that is still the release he sounds best on (in the opinion of many people), so I'm pretty sure the quote just refers to that performance by JLB, or JLB of that era.  Not sure why that is hard to understand.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2014, 07:48:44 AM »
Yeah, but that is still the release he sounds best on (in the opinion of many people), so I'm pretty sure the quote just refers to that performance by JLB, or JLB of that era.  Not sure why that is hard to understand.

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you Hef.  :tup But even outside of LATM, if you listen to their Ytsejam bootleg from 1993, or watch Live in Tokyo, and all those shows around the I&W era, he may have overdone it a little on his gritty voice when performing, but still, the effortless range and power that he delivered the vocals with... Like, I was listening to it and (cheekily) I said, "Fuck! James! Stop being so good!"
Ironically enough, since he did stop being so good, because of that damn throat injury. Anyway, yeah, that was my point. As amazing as he is now, we'll never have the Images and Words era JLB back.

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2014, 08:08:04 AM »
Ok I see what you mean, my mistake fellas!!  :tup

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »

But yes, I do agree that he is the perfect singer for DT. If people don't like him, it's their loss.

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »

But yes, I do agree that he is the perfect singer for DT. If people don't like him, it's their loss.

Amen to that. :metal

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Wide vibrato
His often over use of vibrato. It's girth making this point worse
His high notes are no longer full
Instead of singing Aww he sings Aaa
He doesn't hit most notes he slides into them
He often doesn't pronouce E in the proper context. Example, he'll say buh-lieve instead of believe

I still love listening to him.

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
He doesn't hit most notes he slides into them

I found this to be a prominent issue in mid 2000s, but recently, I haven't heard him doing it too much.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
I was listening to Awake the whole day yesterday. Listened around five times.  :metal Then this morning, I have been listening to Soundgarden's Superunknown, and all I can think about now is Chris Cornell would surely sound amazing on Awake.  :lol

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2014, 11:05:48 PM »
Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you Hef.  :tup But even outside of LATM, if you listen to their Ytsejam bootleg from 1993, or watch Live in Tokyo, and all those shows around the I&W era, he may have overdone it a little on his gritty voice when performing, but still, the effortless range and power that he delivered the vocals with... Like, I was listening to it and (cheekily) I said, "Fuck! James! Stop being so good!"

I went to listen Metropolis on Live at the Marquee after your post, and I need to thank you for pointing it out. Wow, what a performance, Labrie's really standing out! I used to held Labrie slightly below the other members from the technical point of view but now I discovered James also has some impressive skills.

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »
I went to listen Metropolis on Live at the Marquee after your post, and I need to thank you for pointing it out. Wow, what a performance, Labrie's really standing out! I used to held Labrie slightly below the other members from the technical point of view but now I discovered James also has some impressive skills.

No problem!  :tup
If you haven't heard it before, I also really recommend listening to that album's version of The Killing Hand. The definitive version of the song in terms of vocals, IMO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
Nothing to do with JLB's vocals, but that recording also has THE definitive version of Another Hand.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
Nothing to do with JLB's vocals, but that recording also has THE definitive version of Another Hand.

Another Hand was always so brief that I haven't done the comparison between all the different versions, lol. They all sound great to me, but if you say so.