Author Topic: What is it about Labrie's voice that some people complain about?  (Read 12126 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What is it about Labrie's voice that some people complain about?
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2014, 07:42:20 AM »
I do, in fact, say so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »
"Another Hand - The Killing Hand" is the extended intro, LATM version of the original "Another Hand" and is a full 2 mins longer.  Yeah, it is the definitive version.  However, as good as JLB is in this version, I think he goes a little too crazy with the screaming towards the end of the song between the 9:00 - 10:00 min mark.  It detracted from how good that song is.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
"Another Hand - The Killing Hand" is the extended intro, LATM version of the original "Another Hand" and is a full 2 mins longer.  Yeah, it is the definitive version.  However, as good as JLB is in this version, I think he goes a little too crazy with the screaming towards the end of the song between the 9:00 - 10:00 min mark.  It detracted from how good that song is.

Yes, I know what it is, lol. Though to be honest, I've always been more partial to the original acoustic intro.

But I don't know, I think everything JLB does on this version improves the song. It was the best song on WDADU (in my humble opinion of course) but it was still very rough around the edges, like the whole album, but the LATM version just put it at the level of I&W songs.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »
Well, I wasn't implying that you didn't know.  Just sayin' and I think the extended live intro is lightyears better than the original.  Although, I can still appreciate the original.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2014, 08:09:52 AM »
It's tough, because I actually really like the extended middle instrumental section of The Killing Hand that they implemented later on... Man, if we could combine the acoustic intro, followed by Another Hand, going into The Killing Hand, with LATM vocals and the extended instrumental section... I wouldn't need any other version.  :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »
Another Hand from that recording is one of my favorite passages of music from DT's entire corpus.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »
Another Hand from that recording is one of my favorite passages of music from DT's entire corpus.

Out of curiosity, why that version of Another Hand? I really like the piece too, but I've never really considered comparing the versions of this one, mostly because it's so short that you don't notice as much. And other performances of it don't exactly seem to have obvious flaws that I remember.

Well, I wasn't implying that you didn't know.  Just sayin' and I think the extended live intro is lightyears better than the original.  Although, I can still appreciate the original.  :biggrin:

Tbh I quite like the acoustic intro too. Feels like an old Metallica song with the epic intro before it kicks into gear.

It's tough, because I actually really like the extended middle instrumental section of The Killing Hand that they implemented later on... Man, if we could combine the acoustic intro, followed by Another Hand, going into The Killing Hand, with LATM vocals and the extended instrumental section... I wouldn't need any other version. :hefdaddy

Yeah, now we're talking!  :metal Although, there's a lot of "mix and mash" live versions that I'd like. Sometimes they can have a perfect performance from one member, but the whole band might not be as tight. And there are some versions with cool little improv fills and extras, references or cover extracts. Too bad this isn't very viable from a mixing perspective as whenever you try this, the sound quality will never match up when you consider the balance of crowd and background noise, different recording equipment, different performance with different tempos.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »

Out of curiosity, why that version of Another Hand? I really like the piece too, but I've never really considered comparing the versions of this one, mostly because it's so short that you don't notice as much. And other performances of it don't exactly seem to have obvious flaws that I remember.
This is the first version of it I heard.  All other versions I've ever heard deviate in small ways. This one is perfect.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »
I like JLB's voice, but I have to admit that I did not understand more than half of Innocence Faded.

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
I like JLB's voice, but I have to admit that I did not understand more than half of Innocence Faded.

I don't understand more than half of most people's vocals, in Rock music to be honest. Between Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Iron Maiden and most other bands I listen to, I'd say I understand 45% to 60% of what they're saying.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »

I don't understand more than half of most people's vocals, in Rock music to be honest. Between Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Iron Maiden and most other bands I listen to, I'd say I understand 45% to 60% of what they're saying.
I'd have to agree with this sentiment, although I feel like DT's catalog might fall under one of those bands that I have a slightly harder time listening to (in terms of discerning what is being said).

Not as indiscernible as some Trivium songs, however.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »

Innocence Faded is just an extreme case for me. For example I never understood one word in this part when I heard it.

"Wearing apathetic displays
Sharing flesh like envy in cages
Condescending
Not intending to end"

Not one word.  :lol

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »

:lol Yeah, I can relate to this. A lot of Awakes vocals I didn't really understand, I kinda take it for granted now cause I've sort of memorised the lyrics at this point but when I first heard Awake.. I mean those bits in Caught in A Web (second verse), and second verse of Voices has a similar deal, and of course Innocence Faded the entire song xD. I had no idea what was going on there, all I knew was that it sounded powerful, but nonsensical.

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »

Innocence Faded is just an extreme case for me. For example I never understood one word in this part when I heard it.

"Wearing apathetic displays
Sharing flesh like envy in cages
Condescending
Not intending to end"

Not one word.  :lol

I always understood "Condescending".... But yeah, that's it from that phrase, haha.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2014, 04:19:01 PM »
There are confusing/undiscernible lyrics throughout all the albums, at least for me! I hear "hooligan" [fall again] in Pull Me Under, "I'll never be old" [I'll never be o-] in Space-Dye Vest, "painting my own Mona Lisa" [??????] in Blind Faith, and I used to take "cowards for salvation" for something else I don't remember what in Illumination Theory.

« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
"painting my own Mona Lisa"

That is the lyrics.
"I've painted my own Mona Lisa,
Cheesesticks everyday"