Author Topic: The end of the iPod Classic  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The end of the iPod Classic
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:42:25 AM »
Apple has announced that they will no longer make the iPod Classic.  They say they can no longer get the parts, although I suspect that the real reason is closer to "We can no longer get the parts at prices which make any sense due to lower demand in recent years."

The first iPod came out in 2001.  Musical snob that I am, I scoffed at mp3 as a format, and the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for a device that could only hold 30GB of them.  The original earbuds were a joke, and honestly, the ones made today really aren't much better.  But they caught on.  The masses were more concerned with convenience than quality, and if you needed more capacity, you could always pay more and get the 60GB version.  Yeah, right.  But people did.

Eventually I softened my stance towards mp3, when hard drives got larger and cheaper and mp3's at 256k or 320k ("near-CD quality") became more practical.  I'm talking about my PC, though.  If you have to go to 256k or 320k to get decent sound quality, an iPod made even less sense to me.

Meanwhile, I had high-speed Internet in my home, knowledge of and access to a couple of sources of full albums on high-quality mp3, and I kinda went nuts.  I thought about the legal and moral implications (but please, let's not get into that here) but mostly figured that these are albums I never would have bought anyway, being perpetually broke due to having two kids and an unemployed spouse, so no one is losing anything.  By the mid-2000's, I had hundreds of gigabytes of tunes on my hard drives.

iPods continued to get bigger and better, the 30GB and 60GB gave way to the 40GB and 80GB models, and in 2007 they announced the 160GB model.  160GB sounded like the first one that even had a chance of holding all my tunes.  I was stuck in an "all or nothing" mindset, which I eventually overcame, but it seemed to me that I could take over 100 gig of tunes with me, and at some point I'd feel like listening to a particular album, or maybe I'd be showing off my amazing collection to somebody and they'd ask about a particular album, and that happened to be one sitting at home on the PC, but not on the iPod.

Then I apparently did something amazing at work and got a bonus.  Not a huge one, $300.  The other thing that happened that year was my mother-in-law died and left us some money, so I got a new car.  The stereo had an "Aux In".  I'd never seen that before (I was still driving my '96 Chevy).  It was 1/8" stereo in, the headphone output from a portable CD or mp3 player.  Great, amplify the crappy sound from your crappy portable player.  I didn't think much about it because it also came with a six-CD changer in the dash, and I loaded that baby up.

But that $300 bonus and the fact that the 160GB iPod cost $299 could not have been a coincidence.  The music gods were trying to tell me something, so I complied.  I dove in.  I joined the ranks of mp3-absorbing punks who listened to music in an inferior format through tiny 1/4" speakers with no hope of producing decent fidelity.

But we have The Apple Store in our mall, and it has two entire walls of accessories.  I never opened my crappy earbuds, instead opting for some nice earphones with soft cushiony speakers and better frequency response than some home speakers.  Also, I found the device that would change my life.  It plugged into the 12v outlet in a car and hooked into the bottom of the iPod.  It thus provided power to the iPod and the 1/8" stereo output was line-level.  If you raise the armrest in the center console of my car, there is an extra 12v power outlet, and an extra Aux In to the audio system.  This little device was perfect.  Plug it into the power, run the 1/8" stereo line to the Aux In, and feed iPod line out through the little slot which is obviously made for exactly this purpose, and plug the iPod into it.  The iPod is powered, the sound is fed line-level into the car stereo, and everything is hidden under the console.

I've put over 125,000 miles on my 2007 Mercury, almost all of them while listening to my iPod.  Family vacations, solo road trips to Michigan to jam with the guys, and of course countless hours commuting.  The iPod has gotten me through it all.  The prospect of a solid state iPod is enticing, but the 64GB max is a tough pill to swallow.  Barely a third of my current capacity.  But realistically, I've found that I never touch at least half of what's on there.  It's cool having rock, jazz, classical, comedy, whatever I'm in the mood for, and the variety is great, but I suppose I could somehow live with only 64GB, if and when my current iPod finally dies.  It's gotten just a bit glitchy in the past year or so, but it still soldiers on.  I will miss it when it's gone.

A Tribute to the iPod Classic

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Re: The end of the iPod Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
I loved the iPod Classic! I had 3 of them  :angry:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
I still have my old one. It still turns on, without sound. I bought me another one that was bigger capacity, to hold my apple lossless rips.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
two have a failed HDD, one of them has 1/2 of it's vertical lines missing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
Never owned one, always had a cheaper alternative MP3 player that worked just as well.  But they, like the Iphone, were a great invention that changed the way we listen to music (or use phones) so I have respect for it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »
I have the 160GB, and it's pretty great. Kind of a shame they're discontinuing it. Does this mean the only iPods they sell now are ones with all the extra crap, like internet connection and all that? Maybe I'm weird, but I really want my music device to be just a music device. I have a computer for other stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
They're still gonna sell the other iPods, as far as I can tell.  The iPod Touch is probably the best alternative for me (and perhaps you).  It's the one that looks like an iPhone, and basically is except for not being a phone.  64GB solid state storage, which is the best you can get on any iPod once the Classic is gone.  But yeah, it also supports Wi-fi, apps, and has a touch screen and all that.  As I said, it's basically an iPhone without phone capabilities, and I'm sure that that's by design.  They want you to look at that and figure you might as well pay a bit more and just get the iPhone.

I believe the Classic is the last one with the tiny hard drive in it.  That's why it can hold so much, but that's also what's so expensive and probably why they can't make them affordable anymore.  The rest are solid state.  Cheaper to get parts, more reliable, but something about the design (I've only read a little bit about it some I'm not quite sure) makes it so that past 64GB, the price to make them at higher capacities starts jumping.  That's why there's no 128GB iPod Touch, which I would jump on without hesitation.  There's probably not much demand at that level, either.  Dinosaurs like me, who like to actually carry a wide variety of high-quality music, are rare.  Mostly it's kids with a couple albums of shitty 128k mp3's, and that's fine with them.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
I've had a 160GB one for years, I guess when they were first introduced. Forgot about it a couple of years, but I've been using mine extensive lately.
I've been splitting up my music collection, there's a bit that I have physically, and a lot of new 'to listen to' stuff on spotify, but there's a lot of demo's, bootlegs, unofficial albums and rarities that I really only have digitally and is nowhere to be found. Because I've been splitting things up like that, my iPod has regained his place in my world.

The solid state being too expensive to build is just temporary of course. Solid state harddrives for laptops are getting cheaper every second, the true problem, like you said Orbert, could be demand. People just don't own music anymore, not on cd's, not on a computer. Everything's on Youtube or Spotify.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
I love my 160 gb.  If it goes I will loose it.  I love that I can carry so much of my music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
I love my 160 gb.  If it goes I will loose it.  I love that I can carry so much of my music.
This.

Why do all the companies refuse to make large-capacity mp3 players? The reason I got my iPod Classic was that Apple was pretty much the only company still doing it, and now they're giving up. So so lame.

EDIT: Ok turns out a couple of other companies are making big ones now. Hopefully that continues. Screw Apple.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:50:28 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
My  history :

iPod Nano second generation (x2)

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5S

Plus i've had two iMac too. :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
I have never owned an iPod. Or iPad, or iMac, or MacBook, or Macintosh, or iAnything, or any Apple product. I'm not a hater, just never purchased one.

Anyone else in that boat?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
I have never owned an iPod. Or iPad, or iMac, or MacBook, or Macintosh, or iAnything, or any Apple product. I'm not a hater, just never purchased one.

Yup.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »
Why do all the companies refuse to make large-capacity mp3 players?

I think the new idea is to stream music, although I personally love having my entire music collection on me at all times. I helps me rediscover things all the time when I shuffle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »
I find that the more music I have with me - the harder it is to
Actually decide what to listen to and just shuffle anyway.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
I love the large capacity.  Coming from the age of carrying my 32 CD holder all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
I love large capacity too, recently upgraded to a 64GB SD card on my galaxy s5 just for music.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
I'll cherish my 80gb classic forever, had it since 06.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »
Mine still stands proudly on my iHome. I never bought an iPhone. Or any smartphone, come to think of it.  :|
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
I have had a total of 6 iPods since 2003.  The first one I bought had a battery that died out in 2007, and the six in between met their untimely end by my accidental undoing, of which my favorite was wiping my iPod touch by walking up to a 11.75 Tesla magnet.  You would think with my track record I would avoid buying another one, but I pretty much don't function without my iPod.  I use it when I walk my dog, drive my car, go shopping, walk from my car to my office, while in my office, cook dinner (playing through a stereo), and tons of other times.  In grad school, the joke around the department was that it merged with my flesh.  Like Orbert and others, I don't use the earbuds that come with it.

I would be lying if I didn't admit to thinking about buying one as an insurance policy now.  Whatever replaces the 160 GB classic better have at least 160 GB or I'm going to throw my broken iPod's through the heads of people at Apple if/when it comes time to replace my current one.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »
It would be so awesome if he got a 160 GB iPod Touch.

I mean, I still have my 160 GB classic and it's amazing, but I know that one day it will bite the dust as all technology does sooner or later... and it would be nice to have something to replace it (although nothing will ever beat the wheel hardware of the classic iPod).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
I don't think there will be another high-capacity iPod. Apple is just trying to push the new higher capacity iPhones and their iCloud service. Not to mention that iPod users don't upgrade their iPod every one or two years like a lot of iPhone users do to get the latest model, so there is way more money in churning out iPhones than making a quality product that fewer people buy and that they keep for a much longer length of time.

My current plan for when my iPod classic dies is to just get a small seven-inch tablet that supports 128GB SD cards (there are a few around already). Though hopefully by the time I need to do this there are tablets that support 256GB cards.

The only other viable option I found was the FiiO X5 but I didn't like that its library only supports 5800 songs (you can access more than that in folder browser, but I think folder browsing sucks), and it doesn't support gapless playback (I guess the software development team is stuck in the 90's). Though the iPod-like design and wheel, high capacity (if you buy two 128GB cards and don't mind the cost), plus the much higher quality audio components make it tempting.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 01:35:18 AM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 02:30:19 AM »
I don't think there will be another high-capacity iPod.
Thing is, they're making iPhones with 128GB now, so I don't see why they can't make the iPod Touch. Only problem is the expense - you pay an absurd amount of money for loads of stuff that you just don't need.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 02:50:17 AM »
Mine died earlier this year. Left me absolutely heart broken, now I have to pick and choose what music to put on my phone  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 03:28:35 AM »
I don't think there will be another high-capacity iPod.
Thing is, they're making iPhones with 128GB now, so I don't see why they can't make the iPod Touch. Only problem is the expense - you pay an absurd amount of money for loads of stuff that you just don't need.
I don't think they will release a 128GB Touch, but even if they were going to, I wouldn't even want to imagine what they'd charge for it. :lol The 64GB Touch is already more expensive than the 160GB Classic used to be.

The entire iPod line is on thin ice. The Classic is already gone and then you look at stuff like this, it's clear why Apple is doing it. Revenue from the iPod is dropping fast, and they are absolutely raking it in with the iPhones. And the reason iPod revenue is dropping is because there really is significantly less of a market now because the majority of people are content to use their phone for music.

This one says it all:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »

I have a 32gb second gen iTouch. I only bought it because I got it for $100. (I was replacing my then girlfriend's macbook, which I accidentally spilled an entire can of 7-Up on. They were running a special... buy a mac get an 8 gb ipod for free. I was able to upgrade to the biggest one at the time for $100... so I did. That was 09. It is now sitting in my car... dead... hasn't been used in... 2 years. No need with my phone has 16gb of internal plus a 32 gb card in it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »
Revenue from the iPod is dropping fast, and they are absolutely raking it in with the iPhones. And the reason iPod revenue is dropping is because there really is significantly less of a market now because the majority of people are content to use their phone for music.

Yep, the times, they are a-changin'.  The general public will always choose convenience over quality, even if it means paying more in the long run.  I just can't compromise like that when it comes to music.  If you can't get high-bitrate music over the air or from the cloud, I'm not interested, and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay for it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
Aww, this makes me sad. Like you Orbert, I was very resistant to this technology when it came out. I've always been much more old-school than my peers about this sort of thing. Finally a boyfriend in college talked me into asking for one for Christmas (I believe this was around 2005) and I've been rollin' with the same 80GB classic since then. jPod has "died" on me a few times where I thought it was gone for good, but it always comes back to life after a couple days and a reset. I will be very sad when it is really done. This thing has been through a lot with me, including travel to/through the majority of the US states (and an hour or two in B.C.).

I know it will die someday, but I'm in denial (same thing with my almost-as-old Macbook). I will have to to buy something... more advanced :dangerwillrobinson:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
OK, so my 160G iPod is basically full and I was thinking about getting a second one. How much longer before they are completely unavailable?
Then once they disappear, what are my optons? I'm not about to get a new phone.
Does anyone else make something like this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
I still have mine sitting on my desk, hard drive is toast, it just clicks when I try resetting it, and I pried it open to look at it so it's in even rougher condition now, but every once and awhile I try resetting it just because I don't want to believe it's dead.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
I remember when the first iPod came out. Technologically, the iPod was not all that special; you could get better storage/price ratio from other companies, and MP3 players had been around for quite a while. The difference, as usual, was the user interface. Operating the competitor devices drove you nuts, as they were clearly designed by engineers with no feel for what makes an interaction enjoyable and what doesn't.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 02:20:51 PM »
I remember when the first iPod came out. Technologically, the iPod was not all that special; you could get better storage/price ratio from other companies, and MP3 players had been around for quite a while. The difference, as usual, was the user interface. Operating the competitor devices drove you nuts, as they were clearly designed by engineers with no feel for what makes an interaction enjoyable and what doesn't.

That can sum up apple's entire strategy to be honest.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
So a few years ago, my 160G cost $250. On Amazon, a new one costs twice that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
I saw that too.  Pissed me off.  My 160GB was $299 in 2007, and I was thinking that if anything, it would be less than that now, not more. 

But Apple products never come down in price; they only go up.  Plus the announcement may have affected prices.