Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 76100 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
Nice man... I've never dry aged myself, though I've eaten it tons of times. Totally worth the work.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2017, 04:00:02 AM »
Looks really awesome but please take the fuckin napkins off the stovetop.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
Looks really awesome but please take the fuckin napkins off the stovetop.
Napkins are actually a pretty slick idea there. Assuming it's an induction cook top they won't catch fire, and he'll be able to clean spills instantly, rather than waiting for everything to cool down like the rest of us schmucks. Wish I could do that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »
It's not an induction stove (I wish) and I suppose it would be an issue, as BF suggests, if I were to turn on the stove and walk away, but guess what I never do?! Also, I typically move them to the counter when cooking on the stove top.  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
I'll post these here as well so those of you who aren't on my FB can hate me as well...

Had a guy come in to do a tasting for our executive pastry chef position, some of the best desserts and breads I've had, and collectively this was easily the best tasting I've been part of. This guy was fucking nails man, everything so clean, crisp and perfectly executed.

In the culinary world, this is how you get hired my friends...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
So how much time and money did the guy invest in this resume? Was it worth it for him?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
That stuff looks awsome

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2018, 06:05:20 AM »
So how much time and money did the guy invest in this resume? Was it worth it for him?

All the ingredients were from in house, he paid nothing. The cooking took three days total, if he ends up getting hired I'd guess hell be making between 80 and 90 a year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »
Wow, that is pretty cool.  Looks so good and more like a form of art really.  Like I shouldn't eat that it looks so well done.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
Yet once you break the seal and start eating, you can't stop.

That's one of the coolest things about my job. You get satisfaction twice. First there's the "omg it's so beautiful I don't wanna touch it" part followed by a moment of pictures and Instagram post, all decorum and formality still intact. Yet once they dig in and get the killer flavors hiding in the artwork, the instinctual, animal side takes over followed by ten minutes of grunting and snorting, ending with the remnants of sauce being mopped off the plate. I can sit in the kitchen and follow the process, knowing full well that their breakdown of form to that animalistic state was because of my work.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »

All the ingredients were from in house, he paid nothing. The cooking took three days total, if he ends up getting hired I'd guess hell be making between 80 and 90 a year.
Ah, so he had y'alls kitchen and probably a little staff help. That makes sense.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
Yet once you break the seal and start eating, you can't stop.

That's one of the coolest things about my job. You get satisfaction twice. First there's the "omg it's so beautiful I don't wanna touch it" part followed by a moment of pictures and Instagram post, all decorum and formality still intact. Yet once they dig in and get the killer flavors hiding in the artwork, the instinctual, animal side takes over followed by ten minutes of grunting and snorting, ending with the remnants of sauce being mopped off the plate. I can sit in the kitchen and follow the process, knowing full well that their breakdown of form to that animalistic state was because of my work.

As great as that is, what my mother always complained about while I was growing up and cooking dinners for a family of 6 every night, was that after all the hours of work, it's gone in 10 minutes and then back to work cleaning it up.  So much effort and then we pig out so quickly.  My family are fast eaters, but I can only imagine how much I'd eat and how quickly I'd eat it if you presented those plates to me.  Hence why I am over weight.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
On today's lunch menu, I made bacon egg and cheese on toasted wheat bread. I also threw on some guacamole. So damn good

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »
I definitely approve of the sandwich. I also approve of guacamole on that sandwich. I do not approve of that guacamole, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
It does look more like a sauce than guac

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
Yeah, i goofed up. it was herdez guac. it was still good, but next time I'll get the real thing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
You don't have to just to appease food snobs  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »
It looked like taqueria green sauce, which rules, but in that amount would have rendered the sandwich inedible to all but the heartiest of Mexicans.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:14 PM »
BIG fan of the [protein] egg and cheese sandwich; I don't care if it's ham, bacon or sausage.  I like a thin slice of tomato on there as well.

Here's the question, though:  the egg.  Scrambled (as it looks like in that photo) or otherwise?   me, I'm partial to an egg over medium; I want that yolk to ooze and drip down through the sandwich... that could be on the menu for my last meal. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2018, 03:16:33 PM »
Personally, I'm not an oozing yolk guy.  I go scrambled, or maybe like a mini omellete with the cheese melted inside when I make breakfast sandwiches, and of course the added protein (ham, bacon, sausage, pork roll  ;D )

One of my favorite dishes when I travel to Amsterdam is uitsmijter which is essentially an open faced egg sandwich, with the eggs oozing with yolk.  As much as I'm not into that, I really enjoy this.  Maybe it also has to do with the place I go for it, but it's really good. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
I go with over easy or over medium for my breakfast sandwiches, but scrambled if I'm just getting a plate of eggs.

And cram, looks like you misspelled taylor ham ;)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
I go with over easy or over medium for my breakfast sandwiches, but scrambled if I'm just getting a plate of eggs.

Actually wrote it taylor ham and then figured maybe people wouldn't know what I was talking about so erased it :lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »
whew, was worried you were one of those pork roll truthers :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »

Actually wrote it taylor ham and then figured maybe people wouldn't know what I was talking about so erased it :lol
The good news is that you right. Never heard of Taylor ham. The bad news is that I don't know what the fuck a pork roll is, either. Looks like Spam to me.

Can't be afraid of a runny egg. It takes away too many wonderful things.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »
Love me my fried egg sammiches. 3-4 days a week easy. Runny yolk is best, but sometimes I don't want the mess. A sunny side egg on a burger is to die for.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
You know, I've never tried that!   I love a good burger and when I make my own around the house, it's usually a hit.  I might fry up an egg next time to see how it goes...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
There's a place down here that does a CFS on top of two eggs over easy on top of home fries. The eggs pretty much disappear but make everything above and below that much richer. Pretty good shit.

E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
One of my favorite beer spots in NYC does a brunch sandwich that's a piece of fried chicken with an over easy egg, sausage gravy, bacon, and cheese. Sofa King good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
That CFS immediately reminded me of our lunch in Dallas EB

Love me my fried egg sammiches. 3-4 days a week easy. Runny yolk is best, but sometimes I don't want the mess. A sunny side egg on a burger is to die for.

There's a new burger joint near work called BurgerFi (it's a new chain) and they have a breakfast burger:

Natural Angus Burger, American Cheese, Bacon, Maple Syrup, Fried Egg, Hash Brown, Grilled Onions, Ketchup

And it's really really good (although a bit expensive).  That was my first experience with an egg on a burger and it it can work really well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
People put eggs on burgers all the time down here, but if I want a burger there are a lot of other directions I'd rather go. Blue cheese and bacon. Swiss and shrooms. Green chiles. None would benefit from an egg.

That CFS immediately reminded me of our lunch in Dallas EB
Ozona does a pretty good CFS, but it doesn't come close to the one I posted. Even without the eggs/home fries it's still better.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »
I'm going to take a chance and make my own pastrami tomorrow, it should be ready by next weekend. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2018, 06:45:23 AM »
So, what are y'all making for the Super Bowl today?

I'm making barbecue pulled pork sliders, but the twist is the barbecue sauce I made is blackberry based rather than tomato. The slider buns are pretzel rolls from Costco.  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2018, 06:55:14 AM »
My gf is making homemade beer cheese and I'm making some homemade pretzels. One of our friends is bringing her jalpeno poppers and we are ordering a pizza and garlic knots.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2018, 07:25:36 AM »
Mrs.Jingle's b-day today, so that takes precedence over yet ANOTHER Pats SB.

Making a slow-cooker tuscan chicken.  Had the chicken marinating in white wine vinegar and some spices over night... adding sundried tomat's and artichoke hearts to it as well.  First time using this recipe, so I'm hoping it turns out A-ok.

Also, Belgian waffles and french vanilla ice-cream for dessert.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
Mmmmm, Belgian waffles.
Photobucket sucks.