Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 76066 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
Nice! I've been doing the same pretty much and have lost 30 lb just on eating better alone over the last 4 months. I've also gotten more inspired to make my own little things like salsas and I'm going to try hummus either today or tomorrow along with falafels.

I try to do strenuous exercise each day but with my injuries it's not very easy so it's slow progress.

Which is still better than zero progress

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
I love making humus and tabbouli.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2017, 01:58:34 PM »
This is my first crack at middle eastern stuff but the recipes seem easy enough. If it's anything like the salsa recipes I won't be buying any brand name stuff once I start making it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »
When I lived in Dubai as a nipper - Hummus and pitta bread was like my favourite thing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
The prep time is the hardest. I need to make my grandmother's recipe for kibbeh.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
I really wanna make my own shepherd's pie. I know it's really easy but the prep time vs how long it would take me to polish it off is not worth it :lol

1. Stir fry some minced beef with onions and vegetables in a wok or pan

2. Wash and peel some potatoes and boil them to make mash

3. When both are done - pour mince into a baking tray and spread the mash on top.

4. Grill until the mash is golden brown

I usually have it with a drizzling of tomato sauce because it really is the perf condiment. Just like a pinch of salt is PERFECT on fried eggs on toast.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
 :lol

Funny, I've been telling my wife I've been wanting to make that as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
:lol

Funny, I've been telling my wife I've been wanting to make that as well.

Shepherd's Pie was like my fave meal when I was a kid and it still f*ing is because it's so crazy delicious.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
Shepherd's pie is one of Mrs. C's favorite dishes I make.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »
Hey Kotowboy and Orcus, congrats on y'all's weight loss! I'm really proud of you both :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »
Hey Kotowboy and Orcus, congrats on y'all's weight loss! I'm really proud of you both :tup

Thanks BF  ;D.

It has plateaued a bit now so I need to step up the exercises.

I'll do whatever I can manage.

I've 8 days off work starting today so don't have to worry about aching at work the next day.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »

Thanks! It was something I just needed to do and clearly it's paying dividends. Exercise is the one thing I need to get off my ass and do.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
First attempt at falafels: taste wise, pretty solid but execution wise? Welp I should've listened to myself when I was rolling the balls and though "hey these are like meatballs, shouldn't I be using an egg binder?". Out of 11 balls only 3 made it but hey i still have nice cooked falafel filling.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
Speaking of guys here losing weight, I too have been losing a fair amount of weight.

A bit of a backstory.  Around the time I finished community college in 2014 I was around 160-162 pounds.  Then I went back to Cal Poly Pomona and I was stuffing myself silly with Carl's Jr, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and lots of bagels that had some various cream smears at this bagel place on campus.  When I graduated in 2016, I weighed close to 175 and I didn't know why I was that weight since I was walking around a lot and stuff. 

So back in July-August, I decided to do away with fast food and shopped at my nearest convenience stores (Walmart and Smart & Final mainly) and bought some whole wheat bread, hamburger buns, deli meat, frozen fish fillets (shaped like patties), cheese slices, cereal (had to wait a bit patiently for the best sales), milk, and some fruits and veggies.  It's pretty affordable if you have an idea of how much certain items should be and pretty good.  The end result, I somehow lost 20 pounds that I didn't think would ever happen.  It feels good.  I don't have to feel like I'm bloated and lacking motivation.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
Speaking of guys here losing weight, I too have been losing a fair amount of weight.

A bit of a backstory.  Around the time I finished community college in 2014 I was around 160-162 pounds.  Then I went back to Cal Poly Pomona and I was stuffing myself silly with Carl's Jr, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and lots of bagels that had some various cream smears at this bagel place on campus.  When I graduated in 2016, I weighed close to 175 and I didn't know why I was that weight since I was walking around a lot and stuff. 

So back in July-August, I decided to do away with fast food and shopped at my nearest convenience stores (Walmart and Smart & Final mainly) and bought some whole wheat bread, hamburger buns, deli meat, frozen fish fillets (shaped like patties), cheese slices, cereal (had to wait a bit patiently for the best sales), milk, and some fruits and veggies.  It's pretty affordable if you have an idea of how much certain items should be and pretty good.  The end result, I somehow lost 20 pounds that I didn't think would ever happen.  It feels good.  I don't have to feel like I'm bloated and lacking motivation.

How tall are you? 155 (if I did my math right) is a pretty low weight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
I think the last time I checked I'm about 5'7-5'8.  I'm probably the average asian male height.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2017, 04:31:05 AM »
Apparently US feet are 10cm not 12 so using an online calculator to convert cm to feet and inches makes

someone about 2 inches shorter.

If you convert Mike Dirnts height of 175cm to feet - Google says he is 5'8" which he blatantly isn't.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
So with grilling and seasoning, do you salt and season right before grilling, or do you do it and let it sit for a half an hour first. What's the best method?

I was reading about if you don't do it right then it can dry out the meat, so I am hoping to do it right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »
That depends on what meat I'm cooking. With beef I rub it with salt and pepper (maybe some fresh garlic) and let it sit (in the fridge) for an hour or so. Poultry and pork I only spice as it goes out to the grill, unless its a brine or a marinade, which of course goes in the fridge for a couple of hours first.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »
Just want to say I had the Honey Dew Triple Double last night...

...and it was motherfucking amazing!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »
That looks pretty damn good

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
Just want to say I had the Honey Dew Triple Double last night...

...and it was motherfucking amazing!!

That looks unreal!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2017, 10:17:22 PM »
I got $100 that says the sandwich you ate looked NOTHING like that.

And good fawking lord - 1030 calories!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
This past weekend, I took my wife away to the coast for a weekend getaway. As a result, I had some awesome food at a couple of great restaurants.

Scallops with asparagus and fennel

And warm peel-and-eat shrimp (1/2 pound) with a crabcake and corn, and a side of conch fritters

Heaven.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Hell yeah. If I ever win the lottery, I'm finding out exactly how much seafood I can eat on a weekly basis without fucking up my health and then eating that much every week for the rest of my life.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
I'm with you.  I could eat seafood every day.

I think the best seafood I ever had was a swordfish dish on our honeymoon.  I haven't seen it's like since.

Of course, I like things as simple as fish & chips or calabash-style fried fish and shrimp as well. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Yummy, sadly now that I have been diagnosed with gout, I need to watch my seafood intake.  It was never that much to begin with so I don't think much will change, but I don't think I could eat it constantly like you guys wish  :lol

Dell took us out to a famous hot dog spot in NJ, Rutt's Hut.  Pretty awesome hot dogs and even more awesome when someone pays for you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
on our honeymoon

The forum wasn't supposed to know about us.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
on our honeymoon

The forum wasn't supposed to know about us.
How could they NOT?  Obviously the two sexiest guys on the forum.  What else could happen?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
 :heart :heart :heart

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
That scallop dish looks phenomenal, is that pickled mustard seed on it? That would compliment the dish nicely for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2017, 06:08:03 AM »
Not a seafood person at all. I mean, I can to fish n chips. I can eat a baked cod or salmon, but I would never order it.
I would never touch shrimp, lobster, crab, scallops. Especially with fennel!

Those plates do look amazing though, Hef.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
That scallop dish looks phenomenal, is that pickled mustard seed on it? That would compliment the dish nicely for sure.
Yes it is, and yes it did.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
Not a seafood person at all. I mean, I can to fish n chips. I can eat a baked cod or salmon, but I would never order it.
I would never touch shrimp, lobster, crab, scallops. Especially with fennel!

Those plates do look amazing though, Hef.

I'm with you TAC. The only thing I eat that comes from the sea is fried calamari :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:44 AM »
I generally dig shellfish but can't stand the regular, swimming variety. Dip it in beer batter and deep fry it and I'm alright, but for the most part I'm not a fan. Scallops are awesome, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson