Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 76079 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
Ok here's one.

Ham, Sausage, or Bacon?

Oh shit did I really just ask that question on DTF????
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
Different pig for different roles. In fact I have all three on the stove right now. Ham and andouille in a pot of beans, and bacon/ham in a pot of greens. If I had to pick just one, I'm not sure but I think I might go with sausage. As tasty and versatile as bacon is, sausage is just too useful, due in large part to the numerous varieties. Think of how many things you can do with plain ole breakfast sausage, both in bulk and link form. Then throw Italian sausage into the mix. Wurst makes for a variety of good eats. And then there's the mighty chorizo. While some bacon is certainly better than others, it's still bacon at the end of the day.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »
Ham is probably my least favorite of the three so it's always between sausage and bacon.  Lately bacon is king though.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 03:58:20 AM »
For seasoning things (beans, greens, whatever), I actually prefer dropping in some side meat or a ham hock.  But that's just me.

Hard to argue with the versatility of sausage.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »
Hot dog with a glazed donut bun

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
I honestly don't know if I'd consider that more disgusting or shameful. I enjoy doughnuts as much as the next guy they don't improve every single thing they could be added to.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »
Count me in. I'm gonna die fat and alone anyway so I may as well blaze as many interesting trails along the way as possible anyway.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »
Hot dog with a glazed donut bun

I would probably try that....and wash it down with a yoo hoo,

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 05:26:15 AM »
Glazed donuts are disgusting.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 08:44:34 AM »
Said no one ever.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
Ribs tonight

• DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »
Delightful.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »
So this thing appeared at work this morning

Sweet merciful mother of god, it was incredible  :hefdaddy

For those who know what Wegman's is, oh yes, its from wegmans.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:55:20 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
Yeah, I'd fuck that up for sure..  :drool:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 05:27:35 AM »
Yeah, I'd fuck that up for sure..  :drool:

My first pass at reading this missed the "up". 

And it still made total sense.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
Got a cut of filet mignon for the holiday. SOOO good.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
It's not that elaborate, but few things beat pasta with homemade meatsauce. I made some today - just ground beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, red wine and spices - and it was heavenly. Put on some fresh parmesan and you've got yourself an instant win.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
It's not that elaborate, but few things beat pasta with homemade meatsauce. I made some today - just ground beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, red wine and spices - and it was heavenly. Put on some fresh parmesan and you've got yourself an instant win.
Indeed. I use hot Italian sausage, myself, but the premise remains the same. It's a damned useful thing to have on hand, also. After you get tired of spaghetti you make a nice baked ziti out of it. With the Italian sausage it also makes a fine pizza. It's also damned easy to vac-pack a serving or two to leave in the freezer. I dig the shit out of having home cooked food on hand.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
A mix of hamburger and veal is so damn flavorful.   The wife is hanging with her best friend and making homemade sauce soon.  Got 6 jars last time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2015, 06:15:52 PM »
Anybody fortunate enough to live in a city with a Penzey's Spices in town should definitely take advantage of it. I've been a big fan of the spices for a while now, and they cost damn near the same as their greatly inferior Spice Island and McCormick counterparts. Great quality in the herbs and spices, and some wonderful blends (the vindaloo rules).

But the kicker is that they send coupons out in the catalog and in their emails for free stuff. I walked out of there the other day with two pretty good freebies. One of them was a Turkish blend that I've been hammering the shit out of. Mixed with yogurt and a bit of lemon juice it makes a fantastic marinade. Tonight I cranked out a couple of pounds of Kofta that was (and will continue to be) fantastic. It's awesome when somebody dumps a bag of spices on you that encourages you to venture into making new stuff.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
Ha, I just went to one yesterday and was encouraging a friend to go since he's getting more and more into cooking. I definitely agree that Penzey's is worth the trip.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 06:30:15 AM »
Anybody fortunate enough to live in a city with a Penzey's Spices in town should definitely take advantage of it. I've been a big fan of the spices for a while now, and they cost damn near the same as their greatly inferior Spice Island and McCormick counterparts. Great quality in the herbs and spices, and some wonderful blends (the vindaloo rules).

I don't think I've ever seen one by me but I'll look for a close one.  Maybe it's not too far.  I'm big on spices in cooking and I warn people that eat my food that they should make sure they like a heavy palate.  Although I've toned it down for some people. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »
Chipotle tonight  ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »
I had some leftover bacon so I made a mac n' cheese with bacon, cauliflower and I added gouda.   Topped it with panko crumbs.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
I had some leftover bacon

Said no one ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 07:45:22 PM »
Only two of us in the hizzle bro.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2015, 03:36:56 AM »
My girlfriend and I attempted our first curry dish tonight. I love indian food, so was quite skeptical that it would live up to my expectations, but I can honestly say that I would prefer to do this than going to a restuarant. All we have to find is a nice doughy naan recipe and I'd be set.

Also, we cooked quinoa instead of rice, which I quite liked since quinoa doesn't have much flavour compared to rice, which allowed me to enjoy the curry even more.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »

You're the second person to make that recommendation to me in the last month.  Thankfully, there is one in West Hartford, which is about 20 minutes from me.   There was a great spice store in Philly (Italian Market) which is great for me because I know the flavors, but I don't always know the names.  Might head over there this weekend. 

I like making things that sound gross or plain but adding something special to it.  I'd like to think my Shepherd's Pie is something special (my kid LOVES it), and I just tried a tuna noodle casserole that was good, but I already know what I have to do to make it a bit better.  I also like making penne ala vodka, and I have a killer sausage/pasta recipe I make.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
My girlfriend and I attempted our first curry dish tonight. I love indian food, so was quite skeptical that it would live up to my expectations, but I can honestly say that I would prefer to do this than going to a restuarant. All we have to find is a nice doughy naan recipe and I'd be set.
Are you one of those crazy fucks that roasts and grinds all the spices by hand? For my part that's what Penzy's is for. Not really because I'm lazy, but since I can't really go out and drop a ton of money on 15 oddball spices that I'll rarely use. Fenugreek? Now how often does the need for that arise?

Personally, I'm a big fan of aloo matar. Easy to make and goes well with a lot of things. Eventually I figured out that fresh serrano peppers are the secret to the whole thing. No other pepper gives it the right flavor.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

You're the second person to make that recommendation to me in the last month.  Thankfully, there is one in West Hartford, which is about 20 minutes from me.   There was a great spice store in Philly (Italian Market) which is great for me because I know the flavors, but I don't always know the names.  Might head over there this weekend. 
Yeah, you can spend a ton of time in there sniffing all of the sample jars. Tons of stuff to discover, though I lack the ability to sniff some new spice and think "hey, that'd work swell in X."  I do know that I've been blowing right through the 4oz bag of the Turkish seasoning blend they gave me a couple of weeks ago. Pretty easy to do crazy shit with that stuff.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 03:11:13 PM »
they call it clafouti. it's sort of an eggy pie-thing that you put fruit into, traditionally for cherries. it's tasty. made a couple recently

this one's with cherries

this one's with blueberries, I like it more

here's the recipe. the fruit can be any fruit
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
^^^ That looks very tasty

For lunch today I had Flank steak with mashed potatoes and gravy

And for dinner Prime rib and then Ice cream brownie

Its been a good day

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2015, 05:59:13 PM »
Bacon, tomatoes from the wife's garden marinated in basalmic vinegar and olive oil.  A blend of cheeses topped with grated Romano cheese and fresh basil again from the wife's garden.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »
^^^ That looks delicious