Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 76098 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
Should've waited for us to run out of dick jokes before starting a new thread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »

There, have a balls.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »
A sundae, girls can sink their teeth into.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:33:09 AM »
 :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »
The one and only:

CHESNEY HAWKES BURGER RECIPE

My god he hasn't aged one bit!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
So last night we did a food and wine event for charity, and at the booth next to me was a contestant from Season two of Top Chef, the spiky haired Jen. Very nice lady, and excellent food. Gonna hit up her restaurant later this week, and I'll have a full report.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »

Umm, no teeth please!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »

Umm, no teeth please!

Some like it that way. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Gentle raking, not peter breaking.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
 :lol :rollin  :o

Jesus fuck, I love the Japanese. The one on the left at the end...her face.  :lol OMNOMNOM

Following cause fatty.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
lonestar, outside of that awesome stew, which I'm making this year, do you have any good winter recipes?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »
lonestar, outside of that awesome stew, which I'm making this year, do you have any good winter recipes?

Oh yeah ... I'll be diggin that sucker up like I do every winter. Just wish there was a great bakery around here that I could find some sourdough buns/bowls.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »
My parents finally bought me something I've been asking for for ten years! They never wanted one of these in their house, and now that I have my own, they saw this as a fitting birthday gift. Makes two at a time!  :metal

Waffles for dayzzz

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
We got one of those (not a double though) for jingle.daughter for Christmas last year - as she loves waffles.  Find a good recipe, and make 'em from scratch.  It's awesome.  She makes a batch on the weekend to last her the whole week.  It's her breakfast every morning.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
We got one of those (not a double though) for jingle.daughter for Christmas last year - as she loves waffles.  Find a good recipe, and make 'em from scratch.  It's awesome.  She makes a batch on the weekend to last her the whole week.  It's her breakfast every morning.

I need a good recipe as the one on the Bisquick box is shit.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
I never got the appeal of waffles, honestly. With regards to your breakfast breadstuffs, I'd have to rank them last: waffles<biscuits<French toast<pancakes<biscuits+gravy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
I never got the appeal of waffles, honestly. With regards to your breakfast breadstuffs, I'd have to rank them last: waffles<biscuits<French toast<pancakes<biscuits+gravy.

Barto. I generally agree with you on everything and always look forward to reading your posts, but I have to respectfully tell you to shut the fuck up ( :heart). How can you possibly say that? The waffle is so versatile. You can put chocolate chips in them. Put ice cream on them with all kinds of fruits and syrups. You can make french toast waffles. You can put bacon egg and cheese between two waffles. They can be eaten with a utensils or with your bare hands. I'm flabbergasted right now, and slightly heartbroken.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:24:05 PM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »

Barto. I generally agree with you on everything and always look forward to reading your posts, but I have to respectfully tell you to shut the fuck up ( :heart). How can you possibly say that? The waffle is so versatile. You can put chocolate chips in them. Put ice cream on them with all kinds of fruits and syrups. You can make french toast waffles. You can put bacon egg and cheese between two waffles. They can be eaten with a utensils or with your bare hands. I'm flabbergasted right now, and slightly heartbroken.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the English muffin, which also kicks the living shit out of waffles.  :lol

All of the things you mention can be done with other items. The English muffin (or croissant) make far better breakfast sandwiches. Hell, given the inherent crunchiness of the waffle, so do pancakes and maybe even crappy-ass wheat toast. There's nothing you can put into waffles that you can't put into pancakes, including chocolate chips (if that's your bag).  You can put ice cream on French toast. I suppose my problem with waffles is twofold. For one thing they're a bit too crunchy. If you think about it, they're actually quite thin. All of the thickness is made of empty space. Pancakes are actually a bit thicker and ten times crunchier. The other problem is that waffles are hard to work with. They're impossible to butter unless you melt it down and pour it all over them, and the syrup just collects in pools. Not what I'm looking for. With the common pancake, which I consider the closest equivalent to the waffle, the syrup runs all over it whist being absorbed. That's how it should work. Same with French toast.

And as I'm typing this, I'll also include tortillas (both flour and corn) to the breakfast breadstuff pantheon. You mentioned using them as utensils, and tortillas work great in that regard. You can roll up all of your other breakfast stuff in flour tortillas, and corn tortillas are awesome with fried eggs. Great as a utensil and they taste great as they soak up the yolks. Probably not something that happens up there in Yankee-town, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »
I hate you so much right now.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
Pancakes are actually...ten times crunchier.

?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 11:02:12 AM »
Pancakes are actually...ten times crunchier.

?
Damn. I meant fluffier.

I'm trying to think of some redeeming quality in waffles to win back Chino's favor. I'm not having much luck, though. I suppose if you come under attack during breakfast you might be able to throw one hard enough at your assailant to cause a brief moment of distraction with which to gain the advantage with more conventional weaponry. Honestly, though, the knife that you used to put butter into each of 36 little waffle holes would be a lot more helpful.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
Reported for hate speech.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Gotta side with Barto, waffles are overrated. Biscuits and Gravy is where it's at.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
For my breakfasts I usually just pour chocolate syrup over shredded wheat cereal
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »
Gotta side with Barto, waffles are overrated. Biscuits and Gravy is where it's at.

Reported: personal attack

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »
For my breakfasts I usually just pour chocolate syrup over shredded wheat cereal

'beetus
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
So I'm going to make another Michael Bay sandwich soon since I completely pulled pork the other night. A quick recap, a Michael Bay is:

Pulled pork
Sliced beef - using prime rib leftovers from tomorrow's dinner
Bacon
Mac and cheese

For the mac and cheese it'll be my first attempt at doing baked mac and cheese but it looks super easy. I'm using this recipe and adding in 3 oz of gruyere to the sauce:
https://www.chow.com/recipes/30436-homerooms-classic-macaroni-and-cheese

I think I'm going with a brioche bun this time around as well. Will post pics.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
Orc, dat shit sounds delightful.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »
There's too many words and not enough pictures in this thread.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 06:46:13 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »
Here are two progress photos from the pulled pork:

Used brown ale and liquid smoke for the liquid and I don't regret it for a second.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 02:23:33 AM »
 :tup

Oh, and to revive the breakfast discussion:

This, clearly.  Pancakes over waffles any day of the week, but biscuits & gravy rules them all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 02:36:49 AM »
:tup

Oh, and to revive the breakfast discussion:

This, clearly.  Pancakes over waffles any day of the week, but biscuits & gravy rules them all.

I'm not a breakfast person save for the ultimate plate of bacon, but I always choose waffles over the alternatives (pancakes, french toast).