Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 77132 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2018, 12:00:54 PM »
Has anybody tried much sous-vide? A couple friends started recently and they're becoming almost cult-like about it :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »
Nah, you just break them up a bit, not destroy them. And it's a quick scramble so the moisture doesn't break them down either
Oh, you're making migas. Different thing altogether (though also tasty). Now it all makes sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
Huh, new one for me. Doesn't seem to be much differentiation for the vatos I work with.

Has anybody tried much sous-vide? A couple friends started recently and they're becoming almost cult-like about it :lol

Daily. It serves a purpose, though I think it's fad status at the moment puts way too much importance on it. For consistency of product it can't be beat.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »

Daily. It serves a purpose, though I think it's fad status at the moment puts way too much importance on it. For consistency of product it can't be beat.

About what I figured. Anything in particular it works well with or anything where it's not really necessary?
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2018, 04:29:39 PM »
The things we use it for most is whole roast, like a strip loin or lamb leg. Season and cryovac it, let it go for 12 or so hours, then give it a sear to finish. Also, it's really good for confits. One of the main uses though is to cut down times on the line. If we take our chicken, break it into a skin on breast and a thigh/leg roulade, then cryo it, cook it sous vide and shock it in ice water. They'll hold like this for a week, and when needed on the line, we just hold them in the water at serving temp, then give it a sear to serve, bringing the service time to a few minutes instead of 15 to 20. This will work for steak, pork, and some sturdier seafood. I don't see it as necessary for veg, though some chefs swear by  it as well. To me it's just extra labor.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
Thanks, good to know :tup My friends seem to mostly be using it for protein (chicken, steak, and pork).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
Tonight's dinner.  Baby red potatoes, onion, brussel sprouts with roasted pepper and asiago chicken sausage.  I'll add the cherry tomatoes towards the end.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
Huh, new one for me. Doesn't seem to be much differentiation for the vatos I work with.
Chiliquiles is stale tortillas (not chips) simmered in sauce. I usually fry mine just enough for them to hold together, just like preparing them for enchiladas. Drizzle some crema and cheese on them, and for breakfast drop a couple of fried eggs on top. Migas is a scramble with broken up chips, like you described. In migas the chips will still be crunchy and still taste like chips. Chiliquiles will taste like enchiladas.

Maybe your vatos were just keeping it simple for the gabacho.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2018, 06:55:08 AM »
First run at sous vide with a couple of strip steaks last night turned out pretty damn well if I do say so myself.

Prepped and ready to start

Just after the sear

Not the best picture, but the final product. Made a little red wine reduction in the pan after I finished searing that came out really nice as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #289 on: March 25, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »
Damn, that looks decadent

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #290 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
This is more a question for lonestar but my parents gave me a Blue Apron to make and while I know it's sort of a joke how much they say to "salt to taste" but dear god take a look at how many times they mention it in this recipe? Is this excessive? I feel like if someone followed this literally you'd just have a salty mess. I mean the last step with the salad is literally "salt and pepper to taste, then toss to combine with the dressing (which was previously salted and peppered), and salt and pepper to taste AGAIN".

https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/mushroom-fontina-grilled-cheese-with-fig-apple-salad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
Salt is the single most important ingredient in cooking. I cannot stress enough that the biggest difference between everyday cooks and chefs is the proper use of salt. Now when that recipe states s&p, it means constantly taste, and season accordingly. If it's a protein, season it heavily.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #292 on: March 26, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
I'm glad the salt thing has been brought up since I want to hear an answer to this question from the boss.

Do I salt before putting meat on the grill or after? some have said if you salt before hand then it dries out the meat while others say that the salt flavor cooks into the meat. Please sort me out lonestar

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: March 26, 2018, 01:44:13 PM »
I'm not only anticipating that lonestar will say before, but will also tell you to gently and lovingly rub it into the meat. He may even tell you to salt it, rub it and let it sit for 30 or more minutes prior to putting it on the grill. He wasn't kidding about salting protein.

Let's see if I'm right.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #294 on: March 26, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
You're right. Lonestar constantly tells me to lovingly rub my meat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #295 on: March 26, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »
No need to lovingly rub in, just season before. But season HEAVILY!!! I mean, when you think you've seasoned enough, do it again.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: March 26, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
...and let it rest after you pull it off of the grill...goddamit!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2018, 02:26:12 PM »
I don't season my steaks anymore.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #298 on: March 26, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »
I'm glad the salt thing has been brought up since I want to hear an answer to this question from the boss.

Do I salt before putting meat on the grill or after? some have said if you salt before hand then it dries out the meat while others say that the salt flavor cooks into the meat. Please sort me out lonestar
I'm not the expert here, but I believe the science of it is that it draws the moisture away from the outside, thus creating a dry surface to cook. Steam is the enemy of a good sear. The interior of the meat probably isn't effected much by the salting. In fact, by getting a good sear might actually lock the internal moisture in better. 
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: March 26, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
First run at sous vide with a couple of strip steaks last night turned out pretty damn well if I do say so myself.

Had no idea what sous vide meant (I just googled it so I have an idea now) but that meat looks delish.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #300 on: March 26, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »

I'm not the expert here, but I believe the science of it is that it draws the moisture away from the outside, thus creating a dry surface to cook. Steam is the enemy of a good sear. The interior of the meat probably isn't effected much by the salting. In fact, by getting a good sear might actually lock the internal moisture in better.

Yes, the good sear does help the moisture, as does letting the steak rest after cooking. I think the most important part of seasoning before is to get that killer, salty crusty sear, and it applies to pretty much all proteins. Fish, lamb, pork, etc. they all just get that killer salty crust from a good sear that really creates the layers of flavor. You get that burst of salt and caramelization from the outside, then the fully cooked outside layers to the undercooked middle. It's the combination of these three layers that really brings out the full flavors of any protein.

I'm seriously getting a culinary boner just thinking about it man...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
For those not connected on FB with me, here are some shots of the new spring tea menu we did today...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
Now that's some art right there.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:26 AM »
Yea that's some good looking food

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #304 on: April 23, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »
I had a big pancake for breakfast

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 23, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Why does your giant pancake have drawstrings?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #306 on: April 23, 2018, 05:08:45 PM »

It's in its 40's.  Easier to get on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: April 23, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
Fuck that pancake looks good. I need to make some pancakes for dinner soon.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »

It was to foreshadow the sweat pants that I had to put after I ate it (which also have a drawstring)  ;D

I seriously didn't think I was gonna finish it, but was able to. I ate that thing almost 12 hours ago and my stomach is still bloated, lol.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »

See, I thought it was on its period.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #311 on: May 23, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »
Just got back from a BBQ and brewery place.

Got the BBQ combo (Ribs, Brisket and pulled pork) oh my god, so good...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #312 on: May 23, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
Hey, that's not bad looking fare. Not sure about mashed potatoes with BBQ, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »
You want some good BBQ, come to Sugarfire here in Missouri and have the smoked turkey.  Food shouldn't be that good. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
I didn't realize how popular BBQ food was in Florida (and I noticed more in North Florida).  We had some southern BBQ with my parents while in Jacksonville that was pretty good and even a bit different than the western BBQ I had in Colorado a few weeks before.

Anyway, this was from Disney last week: