Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369445 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3150 on: December 24, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
Even the greats aren't always totally right. ;)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3151 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »
I do like the drums on People Who Eat Darkness!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3152 on: December 24, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
True, but he said he was going for a more simple approach on this album from a playing standpoint, so it was never going to be an album with playing as "flashy" as his prior two solo records.

I will say this: the drumming on this album is really lacking. Every time I listen to Nowhere Now, the drums irk me.  Maitland, Harrison and Minnemann could all play, but they could always make the simple stuff still sound great.  There are too many moments on this album where the drums lack "oomph," most notably in Nowhere Now.  The drumming in that song fails to drive the song as much as it should.

I actually think the drums are perfect for the song. Maybe it’s just me, but Nowhere Now reminds me of a Tom Petty track, namely in the guitar sound. The drums play for the song and have that bombastic ending (bombastic in the sense of the album). Then again, I’m just in love with the drum sound for the album, especially on Refuge during the solos.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3153 on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Anyone listen to the Last Day of June soundtrack?

I love hearing this take on his music.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3154 on: December 29, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
Nope, not yet but have been meaning to check it out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3155 on: December 30, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »

I actually think the drums are perfect for the song. Maybe it’s just me, but Nowhere Now reminds me of a Tom Petty track, namely in the guitar sound. The drums play for the song and have that bombastic ending (bombastic in the sense of the album). Then again, I’m just in love with the drum sound for the album, especially on Refuge during the solos.

Listening to this the other day, I did think the drums in Refuge were really good, so I am with ya on that one. :tup :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3156 on: January 01, 2018, 04:05:14 AM »
I think the drumming on this album is great. Though it's mainly simple stuff, Craig makes it sound pretty awesome. And that's a very hard thing for a drummer imo. The masters in this field are of course Keith Carlock, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta (and pretty much everyone involved with later Steely Dan records) but I think this approach fits the album well and is exactly what Steven intended. No huge fills, no polyrhythm stuff, just basic, awesome 4/4 that grooves AF.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3157 on: January 01, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I think the drumming on this album is great. Though it's mainly simple stuff, Craig makes it sound pretty awesome.

Craig Blundell only plays on Pariah, Song of I, People Who Eat Darkness and Song of Unborn. It's Jeremy Stacey on the other tracks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3158 on: January 01, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Refuge is such an ode to Red Rain by Peter Gabriel.  Play them back to back.  Refuge is my favorite tune on the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3159 on: January 01, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
I think the drumming on this album is great. Though it's mainly simple stuff, Craig makes it sound pretty awesome.

Craig Blundell only plays on Pariah, Song of I, People Who Eat Darkness and Song of Unborn. It's Jeremy Stacey on the other tracks.

Damn this is embarrassing... Anyway, Craig AND JEREMY make it sound pretty awesome!

Refuge is such an ode to Red Rain by Peter Gabriel.  Play them back to back.

And I think Pariah is an ode to Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel! But you're totally right, the Red Rain comparison works just as well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3160 on: January 03, 2018, 03:19:46 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/steven-wilson/steven-wilsons-2018-new-year-update/1695867870433468/
Moving into 2018, the big event is touring most of the year with my band. As well as playing music from To the Bone, I’m going to be dedicating some of the repertoire to two albums that are soon to receive high-profile reissues, which are In Absentia and Deadwing (starting first with remastered vinyl editions in February/March). There is also going to be a lot of new visual elements to the show – myself, Lasse Hoile, Jess Cope and lighting designer Martin have all been working hard to try to take everything to the next level in terms of spectacle.
Let the setlist speculation begin, right? :P I'm expecting at least Blackest Eyes to make an appearance, given that it's one of the biggest PT songs, but SW hasn't played it with his solo band yet. Out of the more obscure tracks, maybe Mellotron Scratch and the live premiere of Collapse the Light into Earth?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3161 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
I thought both of these albums had already been reissued and remastered over and over again and released as cd, vinyl, 5.1 audio, bluray audio, etc. If the new reissue doesn't have any unreleased tracks or live tracks, I don't see the point.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3162 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
I think they've only been reissued once, but never remastered, so I'm glad he's giving them the proper treatment now, and will release them on CD as well. Deadwing has So Called Friend and Half-Light included so that's nice. But yeah, more unreleased tracks and maybe demos would have been nice.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3163 on: January 03, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/steven-wilson/steven-wilsons-2018-new-year-update/1695867870433468/
Moving into 2018, the big event is touring most of the year with my band. As well as playing music from To the Bone, I’m going to be dedicating some of the repertoire to two albums that are soon to receive high-profile reissues, which are In Absentia and Deadwing (starting first with remastered vinyl editions in February/March). There is also going to be a lot of new visual elements to the show – myself, Lasse Hoile, Jess Cope and lighting designer Martin have all been working hard to try to take everything to the next level in terms of spectacle.
Let the setlist speculation begin, right? :P I'm expecting at least Blackest Eyes to make an appearance, given that it's one of the biggest PT songs, but SW hasn't played it with his solo band yet. Out of the more obscure tracks, maybe Mellotron Scratch and the live premiere of Collapse the Light into Earth?

I'm seriously hoping for Collapse The Light Into Earth or Lips Of Ashes. Both previously unplayed but my favorites on the album along with Heartattack In A Layby (which is likely to be played considering SW loves it). I'd really be disappointed if it's the "usual suspects" like Blackest Eyes, Trains, and Sound of Muzak.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3164 on: January 03, 2018, 01:41:16 PM »
How about Gravity Eyelids? Am I the only one who loves that song?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3165 on: January 03, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
no :-)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3166 on: January 03, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
Collapse... and HAIALB are two of my favorite songs ever written, not just by SW. I'd pay just to see those live. Used to play Collapse all the freaking time in college in the practice rooms when I'd get sick of Beethoven :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3167 on: January 03, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
How about Gravity Eyelids? Am I the only one who loves that song?

Nope.  I love that song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: January 03, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »
I think they've only been reissued once, but never remastered, so I'm glad he's giving them the proper treatment now, and will release them on CD as well. Deadwing has So Called Friend and Half-Light included so that's nice. But yeah, more unreleased tracks and maybe demos would have been nice.

I’m really bummed chloroform didn’t make it on the reissue.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: January 03, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »
I'm not a big fan of that song so I don't mind, but I'm really disappointed Drown With Me isn't included.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3170 on: January 03, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »
Where are results, sacul  :corn

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3171 on: January 03, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »
Gawd, after seeing that announcement I am even more excited that I'm seeing him four times this year :caffeine:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3172 on: January 04, 2018, 12:59:22 AM »
I thought both of these albums had already been reissued and remastered over and over again and released as cd, vinyl, 5.1 audio, bluray audio, etc. If the new reissue doesn't have any unreleased tracks or live tracks, I don't see the point.
Only vinyl reissues have been announced so far, but SW's post seems to hint at CD releases as well.
I'm seriously hoping for Collapse The Light Into Earth or Lips Of Ashes. Both previously unplayed but my favorites on the album along with Heartattack In A Layby (which is likely to be played considering SW loves it). I'd really be disappointed if it's the "usual suspects" like Blackest Eyes, Trains, and Sound of Muzak.
I'd love to hear Lips of Ashes, but I get the feeling that it's more of a studio song, with the hammered dulcimer, guitar and vocal layers and all. I could see Heartattack being played though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3173 on: January 04, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
Gawd, after seeing that announcement I am even more excited that I'm seeing him four times this year :caffeine:

I'm definitely considering switching from the Philly show to the back to back NYC shows.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3174 on: January 05, 2018, 06:08:36 AM »
Song of Unborn is my favorite new song of any artist in 2017.  Musically and lyrically fantastic. 

I have a question though.  Do any of you hear a slight slur in some of SW's pronunciations?  I've been a huge fan since the early PT days and have always wondered if anyone else heard it.  NOT criticizing - it actually adds a little to the "mystique" that is SW.  Just curious if others hear it.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3175 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
I think Song of Unborn is wonderful. Sometimes I forget that it's there buried at the end of the album.

I don't hear any slurs, do you have an example?

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: January 05, 2018, 07:01:15 AM »
I think Song of Unborn is wonderful. Sometimes I forget that it's there buried at the end of the album.

It's very subtle, I hear it on some "S"'s and moreso on "L"'s.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3177 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »

Since English is not my first language, I don't quite understand the word "slur". Can you explain what you mean?

BTW, Song Of Unborn is indeed fantastic. Definitely one of my 3 favs on To The Bone and a perfect way to end the album.

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »

Since English is not my first language, I don't quite understand the word "slur". Can you explain what you mean?

BTW, Song Of Unborn is indeed fantastic. Definitely one of my 3 favs on To The Bone and a perfect way to end the album.

It's like his lips are improperly forming the way an S or L would normally be spoken.  Again, not a big deal I was just curious is others ever noticed.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3179 on: January 05, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
Yeah, I've noticed it too.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3180 on: January 10, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
I really want to gauge how much interest there would be for taking part in a new SW tournament. We'd start with a qualifying tournament involving most of the non-album tracks (bonus tracks, 4½ EP, original tracks from Cover Version), plus the interlude tracks from the main albums (songs like First Regret and Raider Prelude). I kinda want this to be done as quickly as possible, so it'll probably be a simple "vote for your favourites", and we'll cull so many in one go. We'll probably need subsequent rounds, but certainly not 35 rounds. Anyway, five of these qualifiers will join the 45 songs in the main tournament, which will involve a round-robin group stage, then a 16-song knockout tournament.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: January 10, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
I'd participate, but feel free to revive my old Survivor or start something new :P

Also, has anybody been listening to the latest Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/No-Man Remasters? I think Steven has massively improved his mastering skills in the last 5 years or so, and it's now making his backlog way more dynamic and clear. Was listening to the new 2 CD edition of No-Man's Returning Jesus and it sounds fantastic. The first two Blackfield and the early PT albums got an amazing treatment as well. Really looking forward to the In Absentia and Deadwing ones  :metal

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3182 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
I don't want to run it as a Survivor. I want it to be where we vote for the songs we like more rather than those we like least. Also, there will be some elements of chance involved, as the groups and each round of the knockout stage will be determined by a random draw.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3183 on: January 11, 2018, 01:38:41 AM »

PLEASE STEVEN PLAY GRAVITY EYELIDS AND MELLOTRON SCRATCH :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: January 11, 2018, 05:42:58 AM »
Oh man Mellotron Scratch would be awesome. That was the first PT song I heard.