Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370565 times)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3080 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
Damnit no FL dates. Might have to make a road trip somewhere.

Has Steven Wilson or Haken ever toured in the Southeast US?  They may have been to Atlanta for the progressive festival, but for a full concert?

Yes, I saw The Incident tour at the Tabernacle.  Well that was PT, so close.

HCE tour Center Stage fall of 16.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:12:04 PM by AngelBack »
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3081 on: September 21, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
SW's Grace for Drowining show (his first US show ever as a solo artist )was in Orlando at the House of Blues. Saw him with John Wesley subbing in for Niko Tsonev.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3082 on: September 21, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
Damnit no FL dates. Might have to make a road trip somewhere.

Has Steven Wilson or Haken ever toured in the Southeast US?  They may have been to Atlanta for the progressive festival, but for a full concert?   

He had many Florida dates for the HCE tour. I can't remember if he did two legs or just the one.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3083 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »
I'm looking at setlist.fm and it appears that he has done 5 headlining shows in Florida within a 5 year span.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=steven+wilson+florida&ref=opensearch

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: November 03, 2017, 04:07:56 AM »
Happy birthday Steven, 50 years old today.

https://www.facebook.com/StevenWilsonHQ/posts/1634443886575867
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3085 on: November 03, 2017, 04:35:42 AM »
The trolling going on here is gold:

https://www.last.fm/music/Steven+Wilson

:rollin :rollin

"Guys! I've just read an interview with SW where he says the next album will be aimed solely at extradimensional beings as he wants to expand his fanbase further. He expects to lose a portion of his current fanbase as the music won't be perceivable in our reality because for us people inhabiting only three standard geometric dimensions the music on the album will appear as silence. He's mentioned it's safe for him to expect it will be called a masterpiece by many of earthlings nevertheless. It will be considered a very progressive and brave thing to release 60 minutes of silence. There will be an E8 crystal vinyl edition and a deluxe quantum edition including a brain implant with an immersing documentary of the album recording session at CERN. And the live visuals will be also something completely else! Shame we won't be able to see them. Still, can't wait!"

:rollin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3086 on: November 03, 2017, 04:52:52 AM »
Happy birthday Steven, 50 years old today.

https://www.facebook.com/StevenWilsonHQ/posts/1634443886575867

I saw that as well. I’d like to look 35 when I reach 50 as well, damn!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3087 on: November 03, 2017, 04:56:52 AM »
Happy Birthday to SW.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »
Best post in Facebook

Wikipedia states:

"Wilson is also famous for using his sad music to feed off the tears of his fans, which he uses to preserve his relative youth, thereby explaining why he has not looked a day older than 35 for 15 years."

Which explains a lot.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3089 on: November 03, 2017, 06:35:59 AM »
Lmao

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3090 on: November 03, 2017, 06:52:38 AM »
Yep, it is on Wikipedia.  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3091 on: November 05, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »
Finally got to watch the documentary that comes on the Blu-ray. Though I'm not completely done watching it, does SW ever mention about Nick Beggs' bass playing being used for 'Song of I'? They show in the doc him playing and even label it as such. However, in the booklet, he isn't credited with the bass playing for that song. Furthermore, there isn't anyone credited to playing the bass in that song. Weird.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3092 on: November 05, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
Finished watching the documentary, it was really great to be a fly on the wall of the recording in the studio. I appreciate all the layers for each track a lot more now. I'm willing to bet there will be an EP out for this album as well, they showed some track that isn't listed anywhere 'Love saves us all' or something to that effect. I thought I heard a bunch of other snippets that weren't on the demo disc.

Either way been listening to the new record a lot more the past few days, I think the BR audio makes it that more enjoyable.

I think if I were to rank the albums now it would be something like this. Though I'd give all albums scores of 9/10 as I enjoy them all immensely. Ranking last doesn't mean it's a bad record for me at all.

1. Raven
2. HCE/To the Bone
3. Grace
4. Insurgentes

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3093 on: November 06, 2017, 02:05:53 AM »
SW did mention a follow-up EP in an interview sometime around the release, so we do have that to look forward to, next year presumably.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3094 on: November 07, 2017, 05:50:47 AM »
Since I didn't get the CD or get a download code from the bluray and was listening to the streaming version so far, I ripped the bluray audio and then used foobar to convert the tracks to mp3. I downmixed the 5.1 DTS MA HD tracks to stereo 320 kbps mp3 and they sound really great on my regular earphones. It's a great listening experience on my iPhone as well. I'm so glad Steven Wilson does these high resolution audio mixes on his blurays.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3095 on: November 07, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »
Since I didn't get the CD or get a download code from the bluray and was listening to the streaming version so far, I ripped the bluray audio and then used foobar to convert the tracks to mp3. I downmixed the 5.1 DTS MA HD tracks to stereo 320 kbps mp3 and they sound really great on my regular earphones. It's a great listening experience on my iPhone as well. I'm so glad Steven Wilson does these high resolution audio mixes on his blurays.

What software did you use to rip the audio?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3096 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
Questions for fans of To The Bone: What's your favourite track at this stage? How familiar with the album do you feel you are now?

For me, my favourite track is still Detonation. But I still keep being wowed by the sequence of Nowhere Now and Pariah. They are perfect examples of finding beauty in the sadness.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3097 on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »

I personally use ISO2DSD, it's free and easy to use.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:36:04 AM by Sacul »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3098 on: November 07, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »
Questions for fans of To The Bone: What's your favourite track at this stage? How familiar with the album do you feel you are now?

Favorite track is Refuge for me, which is an incredible track and became one of my favorite SW songs, followed by To The Bone and Same Asylum...I also enjoy A Door Marked Summer, specially the outro. Loved that instrumental outro section.

Other than that, the rest of the album is ok. Not his best work in my opinion. Would probably put it in the lower end of the SW catalog. Haven't played it much since the 1st week of release except for those tracks I mentioned above.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
People Who Eat Darkness still rocks my socks. It's a contender for my Song Of The Year when we sum up 2017.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3100 on: November 07, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
I'm still most drawn to the shorter, simpler songs. Nowhere now is a masterpiece, and I also adore Permanating, Song of unborn and the title track.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3101 on: November 07, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »
I haven't listened to the album for a few weeks now, I overplayed it a bit. But damn, it's definitely another stellar album by the man. After all those spins, I have to say Song of Unborn is my favorite. The emotions during the quiet parts run pretty deep, feel very genuine.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #3102 on: November 07, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
My favourite is probably Pariah, closely followed by Refuge and People Who Eat Darkness.

Also I suspect a video for People Who Eat Darkness by Jess Cope is released soon, Jess Cope posted on fb something about working for a video and the frames were labeled with PWED some time ago :p
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3103 on: November 07, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »

For me, my favourite track is still Detonation. But I still keep being wowed by the sequence of Nowhere Now and Pariah. They are perfect examples of finding beauty in the sadness.

Detonation and Song of Unborn are my two favorites, without question.  I think I'd give the slight nod to Song of Unborn.

The next tier would include People Who Eat Darkness, Refuge and the title track.

I think those will persist as the five classics (IMO) from this record.

Song of I is still my least favorite, and everything else is good.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3104 on: November 07, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
Permanating and Detonation are my favourites, but I admit I haven't listened to the album much since the week it came out. Tied with The Raven as my third favourite SW album

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3105 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »

I use MakeMKV. Great free tool that pretty much rips an exact copy of the files on the disc with some simple options. Been using it for ages now. I used foobar to convert the mkv tracks to mp3 after using the LAME codec.

As for favorite track, it's probably Nowhere Now, followed closely by The Same Asylum As Before. Hard to decide on a favorite track, they are great I feel. The passage in Nowhere Now at 2:15 to 2:37 and then Rush sounding part around 3:15 leading into the last chorus just gives me goosebumps everytime. I love the part in the documentary that shows the recording of that passage, fascinating stuff on the layers they create in each song and how they decide what sound best suits the track.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3106 on: November 07, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
Kinda strange that he is waiting so long after the release of the album to start touring on it.  Granted, tickets for it went on sale back then, but you rarely see an act wait this long between the release of an album and the start of the tour for it.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3107 on: November 08, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »

Yea, I agree about Nowhere Now and Pariah. Those two are my faves with Pariah being my #1, it's so damn good  :heart

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3108 on: November 08, 2017, 07:42:37 AM »
Kinda strange that he is waiting so long after the release of the album to start touring on it.  Granted, tickets for it went on sale back then, but you rarely see an act wait this long between the release of an album and the start of the tour for it.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall DT doing that with one of their recent tours. Not sure if it was ADTOE or DT12, but they released the album in September, then waited until January to start the tour. It makes sense in one way. Get autumn and Christmas out of the way; time for people to digest the album, then they get to hear the songs live.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3109 on: November 08, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall DT doing that with one of their recent tours. Not sure if it was ADTOE or DT12, but they released the album in September, then waited until January to start the tour. It makes sense in one way. Get autumn and Christmas out of the way; time for people to digest the album, then they get to hear the songs live.

He's also got a followup EP in the making for (I think) December, and I'm sure other commitments working for other artists that'll be released next year. Guy is busy!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: November 09, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »
Just saw the Get all you deserve BlueRay as I just bought the new BR + 2CD version. Love it.... got me thinking on how will the band differ on the TTB tour?

Marco Minneman has been changed for Craig Blundell
Nick Beggs and Adam Holzman are still there
Who is the guitarplayer now?
And is Theo Travis still there? Hope so as I love what he adds.

Also Ninet Tayeb will be there on the dates she has no concert of her own.... really hope she will be with Steven in Stockholm as I love her voice.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3111 on: November 12, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
I can't get out of my head the idea of running a new Steven Wilson tournament in Polls & Survivors. Especially as two albums have come out since the last Steven Wilson Survivor was run in 2013. I've got two formats in mind, either of which I would vastly prefer to running a standard survivor.

1. A tournament like soccer's World Cup, with a round-robin "group stage", followed by a single-elimination tournament (last 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final).

2. A straight-ahead round-robin where each song will go up against all the others across 49 rounds.

Whichever format we go for, the idea is for 50 songs to participate. Most of the standard album tracks are included, giving us 45 songs. The remaining songs (including bonus tracks, the 4½ EP, Cover Version, plus shorter interlude tracks from the albums) will compete in a qualifying tournament for the remaining five slots. (This may be fairly short, so we can get to the main tournament as quickly as possible.)

I know there are pros and cons to both formats. The more I'm thinking about it, I'm swaying towards format 1. I like the idea of having a Final match, whereas with format 2 it's fairly likely we'll know the champion before we get to the final round of matches.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3112 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
I was making a survivor like a year or two ago but life got busy and forgot to keep it up :P Feel free to pick it up or restart it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3113 on: November 12, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
Just saw the Get all you deserve BlueRay as I just bought the new BR + 2CD version. Love it.... got me thinking on how will the band differ on the TTB tour?

Also Ninet Tayeb will be there on the dates she has no concert of her own.... really hope she will be with Steven in Stockholm as I love her voice.

I can't think of his name , but I think I remember hearing that it is the same guy who is touring as the lead guitarist on the current Roger Waters tour.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3114 on: November 12, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »

According to goo goo who posted in the previous page, it'a new guitarist for this tour Alex Hutchinson. Theo wasn't there on the HCE tour, don't think he was there for the Raven tour either. I do love that bluray. Such an amazing performance and the sounds mixing kills it as well. It's so weird when you can finally appreciate those little things like sound mixing and formats, etc.. when you have a somewhat decent sound setup that is able to translate those nuances. Prior to my current PC everything sounded pretty much flat and you couldn't tell the difference between any sound format or quality.