Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370340 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #945 on: March 04, 2015, 07:55:33 PM »
Listening now. Already blown away by the guitar in 3 Years Older.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #946 on: March 04, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
Plot spoilers below for anyone still waiting for their albums and whatnot...

Well, as for the story of the "old" lady, she's not actually old. She disappears for many many years but when she returns she's still 28, even though she was born 104 years ago. Which leads me to my next point...

Why is nobody addressing the weird, potentially paranormal shit going on in this woman's life? She is being visited by unnamed beings and is talking about going somewhere with them. I suppose these could be hallucinations that come from isolating herself, buuut a lot of the signs point to maybe not. I mean, she wrote a diary entry as a teen that mentioned some weird related shit (a mysterious girl talked to her about how she can come back if she wants to, etc., and her sister told her not to mention it to anybody), and there's a copy of the weird "Key of Skeleton" book that was supposedly given to her by "them" in the deluxe edition. Sure, things are a bit ambiguous but I don't understand how people can just be saying "she reenters society" or "she dies" with all of this other crap on the table.

Anyway, I've listened twice so far and it's gorgeous, but it's going to take some further absorption.

Nonono, the way I read it is she returns as a 104 year old women, but dies age 28 cause that was her age when she disappeared. She only had 28 years of life as a regular person. But I do have to say that the way I read it, the years don't add up. So there could be something to say about your view.

Well, the 'aliens' are hallucinations. I don't see SW writing about paranormal or even extra terrestrial beings. I think she saw things, and even drew things while under the influence of hallucinations. But your point remains, this wouldn't be in the deluxe edition if it had no influence on the story. So maybe it's a key to understanding her disappearance better, I just don't hope SW comes out and says: 'well my idea was that she was abducted by green marsians'

Well first, I'm not sure I'd agree that SW wouldn't write about paranormal or extraterrestrial stuff when his last album was all ghost stories  :lol

Anyway, a few other points I want to make, first regarding Lena Springer.

The end of the entry for 28 March 2013 says:

Reports were made by the family and an investigation was undertaken by authorities, but no trace of his missing aunt ever surfaced. The year was 1876. Lena Springer was 28.

Herr Springer was able to produce an old family photograph of his mother with his aunt Lena. It was the exact likeness of the woman killed on the busy Vienna street.

Lena Springer died 104 years after her birth, at the age of 28.

I think that last line is pretty self-explanatory. She was born 104 years ago, but she was 28 when she reappeared/died. Also, if she came back as an old lady she would not have looked exactly like the photograph, which had to have been taken before she went missing. Ya dig?

Anyway, I'm willing to accept that she could be having hallucinations, but I don't have enough reason to fully buy that idea.
Regarding the isolation thing... It's not like she has completely disappeared from society for years. There are entries in the blog where she talks about going out, like to a party and a bar. There are periods where she says she hasn't talked to anybody in a while, but she's still talking about going to work as of April 2014. So no, I don't really buy that it's just "she's totally isolated and then reenters society." It doesn't add up.

Sure, all this talk about being "ready to go" could be killing herself because the voices say so, but again it doesn't really add up for me. One of the major reasons? The entry from 12 January 2015: if she's totally just out of her mind and making this all up, how the fuck does that photo exist? That legitimately creeps me out and I can't think of a logical explanation for it that doesn't involve actual "visitors" who are watching the two girls.

I'm sure I'll have more opinions on this the more I read through the book  :biggrin:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline 425

« Reply #947 on: March 04, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »
Got this today and just listened to it for the first time. Obviously my opinions are not very well formed at the moment, but I was impressed by it. It'll be interesting to see how it ages compared to The Raven..., particularly because the two are such different albums. The Raven... is basically Steven Wilson pulling out all the stops and going 100% prog, while Erase is probably the most diverse album I've ever heard from him (granted I haven't heard his first two solo albums). But from one listen, this is a very good album and a worthy addition to the Steven Wilson discography.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
Still truly amazing, nothing's changed. It's a bar-raising conceptual rock album with almost a 'pop' face to it, and yet it takes way more listens than you might think in order to fully grasp what SW has accomplished here. It's almost scary.

Well said!

Also, I think I might have to go to both NY shows after hearing this album, not just one show. I'm gonna love hearing this live.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Rob801

« Reply #949 on: March 04, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Another day, another RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

And I basically won't be able to listen tomorrow, so even if it comes I'm stuck till Friday. Great work Burning Shed. Back to Amazon it is with any future purchases.

Same here, still waiting. It's really baffling how preordering and showing support ends up being a negative. Next time I will just wait for the release date and pick it up at the local store.
Same here :-(... I'm sorry you guys are in the same boat as me but it at least reassures me that mine didn't get lost or stolen in route. Not sure where you guys are located but I order stuff from Amazon UK all the time and nothing ever takes a week to get to Denmark so not sure why it should be any different for Burning Shed... Hell, I sent a book to my mom in Las Vegas last month and she had it in five days. A tracking number would've been nice too.

I guess if it doesn't show up today I'll have to write and complain (I should probably do that anyway).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:33:27 AM by Rob801 »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #950 on: March 04, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »
As a small matter, what's everyone's preference/opinion on the varying track-listings? Is the album 8 tracks of 11?

Personally, I like the track-list with 8 tracks on it, especially since the 3 pairs of tracks that are stuck together definitely flow together and are meant to be together, so sticking them together as one track just makes sense to me. Then again, I love SFAM where each Scene is a single track, but that's just me.

-Marc.

ehhh the only one that makes absolute, inarguable sense to keep together is "Home Invasion/Regret #9." while the first and last tracks obviously overlap (or use the same synth from the track before, as in "Ascendant...") and you're supposed to listen in order, they're very clearly separate entities, their own thoughts – small paragraphs of the same story. so besides the overlap (which also happens across "Regret #9" and "Transience," which i don't see anyone arguing as a required pairing for this exact reason), i don't see why "First Regret" and "Ascendant Here On..." need to be grouped in, save the shuffle playlist thing.

I definitely agree about "Home Invasion / Regret #9" being paired together. I haven't fully delved into the story as much as I'd like quite yet, but musically speaking, the first two tracks flow together very well, as well as the last two, and I like that the one version of the album keeps them together.

On the version with 8 tracks, "Transience" doesn't crossfade from "Regret #9", though, so that's not an issue there, and I think I like those tracks apart anyway. I may, I make my own version of the album that includes that crossfade anyway, and also "Key Of Skeleton" and "Last Regret", but we'll see. I still want to completely 100% absorb this album before I tinker with the various tracks and such, but as it is, either version, the music is amazing.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #951 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:13 AM »
Regret #9 feels very much like Home Invasion just going into an instrumental break. Just that the break lasts 5 minutes and ends the song. Much like what Haken did with The Mind's Eye and Portals off the Visions album.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #952 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:44 AM »
Finally received it, let's spin this muthafucka

EDIT: eargasming just from the production already

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #953 on: March 05, 2015, 06:49:18 AM »
There is so much to soak in with any SW albums that it makes multiple listens in a day enjoyable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #954 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »
Even songs like "Hand Cannot Erase", which I originally weren't completely blown away by, are now destroying my soul. This is easily my favorite SW album.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: March 05, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the meaning/significance of the album cover? 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #956 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Recieved my copy of the deluxe edition today and just finished my first spin, amazing! This man is unbelievable, and the packaging is fantastic!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #957 on: March 05, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
Shmeg just pinged me regarding the album. Sorry, late to the party! (On vacation in Germany right now)

Brilliant album, absolutely. Very different from the Raven, but fuck, that guy is a pure artist if he can so seamlessly grow into a new style and still produce such a deep and satisfying album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
Have a few Hefeweizen on vacation sir!  I was shocked not seeing your take to the new album.  Get back to vacation now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: March 05, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »

she seems to be emerging out of the paint (obscurity), which is a nice visual representation of what seems to happen in "Happy Returns" (ish?).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #960 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »
She's a painter, and for some reason she prefers isolation to being with people. And for some reason that's not enough - she wants to disappear (according to her blog). The cover just shows exactly that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #961 on: March 05, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
Just listened to a little bit of the new album in one of Full Sail's Mastering rooms on B&W speakers. Sounds stupidly good.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #962 on: March 05, 2015, 12:56:47 PM »
Even songs like "Hand Cannot Erase", which I originally weren't completely blown away by, are now destroying my soul. This is easily my favorite SW album.

YES. The title track is just a HIT. It's the first thing I heard (with the iTunes single), and I didn't like it at all at first. In fact, I listened to it once, and since then not at all anymore, because I didn't feel like it. It made me extremely worried about the direction SW was going in.

But within this album, it's placed brilliantly and I guess it's really the 'anthem' of this record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #963 on: March 05, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »
Just listened to a little bit of the new album in one of Full Sail's Mastering rooms on B&W speakers. Sounds stupidly good.

Nice! I'd love to hear it on high end equipment in a treated room as well. The album still sounds amazing on my dynaudio studio monitors though.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #964 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »
Perfect Life, while not seemingly much on its own, proves to be one of the pivotal tracks on the album. It tells an important part of the story, and its chord progression returns at the album's culmination, Ascendant Here On..., with an incredibly sad sense of nostalgia. They had the Perfect Life, and now it's gone forever.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #965 on: March 05, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
So true. And the beat of Perfect Life is massive. I love how it continues at the end of the track, almost on its own.

Also, best sounding album by SW ever. In any case, the most natural and pleasant recording he's ever produced. You're literally inside the music, it's so freaking detailed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:17:32 PM by PixelDream »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #966 on: March 05, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »
Still. No. Album.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 425

« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »

I haven't delved as deep into the complexity of this story as some, but to me it relates to the fact that she was trying to disappear (and that she was a painter), as she's seemingly tried to paint over her face. However, the title, to me, implies that no matter how hard you try, you can't completely obliterate a human life—Hand Cannot Erase—hence the fact that much of her face is still visible despite the paint.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #968 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
I worry that I might be listening to the album too much. It's normally not the best sign for longevity when I'm listening to the album on repeat so early.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #969 on: March 05, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
Yea I've been listening to it like twice a day.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #970 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
There's no getting around it- it's made such great first impressions for a reason. Hopefully it doesn't wear us out too much going forward.

Still think Happy Returns is my favorite track. Followed by essentially every other song, all tied for second  :lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #971 on: March 05, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
Steven Wilson, you are a freakin' badass.  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: March 05, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »
Still. No. Album.

Just.Learned.Lesson.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: March 05, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
Typical. Nick. Fail.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #974 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
No album for me either. I think the Gods are taunting me. Probably my 2nd most anticipated album ever (behind the little slice of heaven in my avatar) and it's been a solid week of running to my mail box in anticipation followed by

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #975 on: March 05, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
 :lol Kev

I worry that I might be listening to the album too much. It's normally not the best sign for longevity when I'm listening to the album on repeat so early.

See, I'm listening to it a lot because I'm still trying to take it all in. It hasn't all clicked with me yet but I do love it. I'm on listen five in three days, so not too excessive.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: March 05, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »
  I'm still trying to take it all in

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #977 on: March 05, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »
I like to take my time when taking all of Steven in.

:eyebrows:

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #978 on: March 05, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
I like procreating with Steven Wilson.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #979 on: March 05, 2015, 06:14:11 PM »
I like to take my time when taking all of Steven in.

:eyebrows:

Yes, but how does he compare to Lonestar?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.