Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370537 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #910 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
Jesus, it's sounds amazing in 5.1.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #911 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
I wish I had that setup. Hopefully some day soon.

Anyways, this album is growing on me with each additional listen.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #912 on: March 03, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »
Anybody else getting a Signify / Up the Downstair vibe from Regret #9?

Honestly, not really.

The keyboard solo is very Pink Floyd-esque more than anything, and the guitar solo is far more flashy than anything Wilson himself plays.  Regardless, that is a beast of a song. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Jesus, it's sounds amazing in 5.1.

I can imagine.  Actually, I don't have to, cause a buddy of mine who has a great surround sound set-up will be getting the 5.1, so I'll listen to it over there pretty soon. :coolio

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #913 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
I GOT MINE :dangerwillrobinson:

Unfortunately I don't have enough time between work and the writing group I'm going to, so I won't be able to listen to it til about 9 tonight. I think I'm going to leave the package sealed until then, because I'm not sure I'll be able to control myself once it's open.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #914 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »
Just give in and do it.  :biggrin: :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #915 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »
Ancestral is pretty much my favorite song ever right now. It's Steven Wilson reinventing himself for 13 minutes. It's blows my mind and my balls away with the emotion, its epic nature and raw intensity.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:39:06 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #916 on: March 03, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »
HCE is pretty much my favorite SW album right now. It's Steven Wilson reinventing himself for 66 minutes. It's blows my mind and my balls away with the emotion, its epic nature and raw intensity.
Fixed for me.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #917 on: March 03, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
Just give in and do it.  :biggrin: :lol

I only had 45 minutes! No way.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #918 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:10 PM »
I went into the music store expecting to pick up just the CD and Blu-ray packages.  I told myself I didn't need the Deluxe Edition.  Then, I saw it just sitting in the store.  Beckoning me.

...suffice it to say, I have no regrets picking up that set. Following the Blu-ray along with the pages in the book was a great experience and adds a lot to the concept as a whole.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #919 on: March 03, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »
Every. Single. Person.

That I've seen talk about the deluxe set has been fucking drooling over it. The content for the $ was certainly not there, but the set itself is obviously fantastic, and now I'm kinda regretting not getting it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #920 on: March 03, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Every. Single. Person.

That I've seen talk about the deluxe set has been fucking drooling over it. The content for the $ was certainly not there, but the set itself is obviously fantastic, and now I'm kinda regretting not getting it.

My wallet is f*cking regretting it, I'll tell ya that much!  I'll be passing on my next few impulse buys for sure.  "No, you're not getting that Blu-ray.  You picked up the Deluxe Erase, remember?"

Still, money comes and goes.  Even if I only pull out the box a handful of times, those are experiences I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #921 on: March 03, 2015, 07:04:33 PM »
Routine is just...my...God. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #922 on: March 03, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »

Seriously.

Only on my first listen right now, on Home Invasion. I was kinda hesitant at the first few songs, but now I'm diggin it all sorts of hard.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #923 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »
Yeah, this album is just really good. Continually impressed with how much good music this man can create.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #924 on: March 03, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »

When it explodes after the piano part... shivers.

Actually, on my first time I nearly shitted myself  :lol
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #925 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:35 AM »
Small spoilers for anyone interested in living through the story the first time listening to the record

Story wise, the end. What happens there? Does she commit suicide? Or does she disappear like the old lady in the story?

The way I see it is that she stops in the middle of writing a letter because she's 'feeling drowsy', and then dies never getting to finish the letter. I haven't read the lyrics, or listened to the album more than once (except for Happy Returns), so that's just what I thought just what I've been picturing. If that's what it is, then it's really sad.

I don't even know what old lady you are referring to, so I might be way off, since the lyrics of Happy Returns are pretty much the only ones I really noticed.

Well in the deluxe edition there's a story of a young girl who disappears. Just off the radar. Yeaaaars later, when she's an old lady she reappears and dies at the same moment. The main character always felt like that was a sort of ideal life.
I believe she never finishes the letter because she can't, not after all those years. But the drowzyness is something I glossed over, that's a good point too.

Well, as for the story of the "old" lady, she's not actually old. She disappears for many many years but when she returns she's still 28, even though she was born 104 years ago. Which leads me to my next point...

Why is nobody addressing the weird, potentially paranormal shit going on in this woman's life? She is being visited by unnamed beings and is talking about going somewhere with them. I suppose these could be hallucinations that come from isolating herself, buuut a lot of the signs point to maybe not. I mean, she wrote a diary entry as a teen that mentioned some weird related shit (a mysterious girl talked to her about how she can come back if she wants to, etc., and her sister told her not to mention it to anybody), and there's a copy of the weird "Key of Skeleton" book that was supposedly given to her by "them" in the deluxe edition. Sure, things are a bit ambiguous but I don't understand how people can just be saying "she reenters society" or "she dies" with all of this other crap on the table.

Anyway, I've listened twice so far and it's gorgeous, but it's going to take some further absorption.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #926 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:45 AM »
Wow, the reviews here are amazing. I really need to get this album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #927 on: March 04, 2015, 03:21:27 AM »
My only "fear" is that this will become another The Incident, great the first X amount of listens, but fades away a lot with time. I mentioned it on another forum, but my only complaint (which is fairly small) is that the album lacks any major powerhouses for me. All of the songs are great, but none of them blew me away the same way that Raven title-track did, or Deform/Raider II on Grace did. I will say that a strong album with only great songs is probably much better than a decent/good album with a few home runs and a few misses, so I just hope the life length on the album is long.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #928 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »

When it explodes after the piano part... shivers.

Actually, on my first time I nearly shitted myself  :lol

It's my favorite song on the album. Unbelievable.

EDIT: This album is incredible. Hard to tell if it's on my top shelf of albums yet, as it needs to stand the test of time, but I love it about as much as one can love an album after a day or two.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:26:49 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #929 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
Well, as for the story of the "old" lady, she's not actually old. She disappears for many many years but when she returns she's still 28, even though she was born 104 years ago. Which leads me to my next point...

Why is nobody addressing the weird, potentially paranormal shit going on in this woman's life? She is being visited by unnamed beings and is talking about going somewhere with them. I suppose these could be hallucinations that come from isolating herself, buuut a lot of the signs point to maybe not. I mean, she wrote a diary entry as a teen that mentioned some weird related shit (a mysterious girl talked to her about how she can come back if she wants to, etc., and her sister told her not to mention it to anybody), and there's a copy of the weird "Key of Skeleton" book that was supposedly given to her by "them" in the deluxe edition. Sure, things are a bit ambiguous but I don't understand how people can just be saying "she reenters society" or "she dies" with all of this other crap on the table.

Anyway, I've listened twice so far and it's gorgeous, but it's going to take some further absorption.

Nonono, the way I read it is she returns as a 104 year old women, but dies age 28 cause that was her age when she disappeared. She only had 28 years of life as a regular person. But I do have to say that the way I read it, the years don't add up. So there could be something to say about your view.

Well, the 'aliens' are hallucinations. I don't see SW writing about paranormal or even extra terrestrial beings. I think she saw things, and even drew things while under the influence of hallucinations. But your point remains, this wouldn't be in the deluxe edition if it had no influence on the story. So maybe it's a key to understanding her disappearance better, I just don't hope SW comes out and says: 'well my idea was that she was abducted by green marsians'
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #930 on: March 04, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
Another day, another RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

And I basically won't be able to listen tomorrow, so even if it comes I'm stuck till Friday. Great work Burning Shed. Back to Amazon it is with any future purchases.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #931 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:28 AM »
My copy arrived today! :DDDDDD
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #932 on: March 04, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »
Another day, another RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

And I basically won't be able to listen tomorrow, so even if it comes I'm stuck till Friday. Great work Burning Shed. Back to Amazon it is with any future purchases.

Same here, still waiting. It's really baffling how preordering and showing support ends up being a negative. Next time I will just wait for the release date and pick it up at the local store.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #933 on: March 04, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Listening to Routine Ninet solo vocal version. SW made the right choices which parts to give away and which to keep for  himself.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #934 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »
I love the vocal melodies in Routine.

and I think I am in love with the female vocalist's voice. Like... her voice is fucking sexy. I'd have sweet relations with her voice.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: March 04, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
and I think I am in love with the female vocalist's voice. Like... her voice is fucking sexy. I'd have sweet relations with her voice.

:lol 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #936 on: March 04, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »
  It's really baffling how preordering and showing support ends up being a negative. 

Yep. It's why I never bother with pre-orders anymore, especially when I know it is a CD I can pick up at Best Buy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #937 on: March 04, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
As a small matter, what's everyone's preference/opinion on the varying track-listings? Is the album 8 tracks of 11?

Personally, I like the track-list with 8 tracks on it, especially since the 3 pairs of tracks that are stuck together definitely flow together and are meant to be together, so sticking them together as one track just makes sense to me. Then again, I love SFAM where each Scene is a single track, but that's just me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #938 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
My mp3 review copy had 8 tracks, and as far as I know every retail version has 11.. At least my special edition does.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #939 on: March 04, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »
My mp3 review copy had 8 tracks, and as far as I know every retail version has 11.. At least my special edition does.

The iTunes deluxe version has the main album as 8 tracks with 2 bonus tracks from the Alt Mix bonus disc off the Limited/Deluxe Edition.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: March 04, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »
As a small matter, what's everyone's preference/opinion on the varying track-listings? Is the album 8 tracks of 11?

Personally, I like the track-list with 8 tracks on it, especially since the 3 pairs of tracks that are stuck together definitely flow together and are meant to be together, so sticking them together as one track just makes sense to me. Then again, I love SFAM where each Scene is a single track, but that's just me.

-Marc.

ehhh the only one that makes absolute, inarguable sense to keep together is "Home Invasion/Regret #9." while the first and last tracks obviously overlap (or use the same synth from the track before, as in "Ascendant...") and you're supposed to listen in order, they're very clearly separate entities, their own thoughts – small paragraphs of the same story. so besides the overlap (which also happens across "Regret #9" and "Transience," which i don't see anyone arguing as a required pairing for this exact reason), i don't see why "First Regret" and "Ascendant Here On..." need to be grouped in, save the shuffle playlist thing.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #941 on: March 04, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
Still no HCE for me either. And I got mine from Amazon (Canadian, though).

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: Friday, March 6, 2015 - Tuesday, March 10, 2015 by 8:00pm

...why.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #942 on: March 04, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »
Still truly amazing, nothing's changed. It's a bar-raising conceptual rock album with almost a 'pop' face to it, and yet it takes way more listens than you might think in order to fully grasp what SW has accomplished here. It's almost scary. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #943 on: March 04, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »
Still truly amazing, nothing's changed. It's a bar-raising conceptual rock album with almost a 'pop' face to it, and yet it takes way more listens than you might think in order to fully grasp what SW has accomplished here. It's almost scary.

Well said. 

Every listen is getting better than the previous one. 

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #944 on: March 04, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
Goddamn you people. My copy is still en route. Where is it oh ye gods of the mail system?