Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369436 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Steven Wilson v. The Man Who Refused to iPod
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
The concept sounds great and so does the music. Definitely my most highly anticipated album in the foreseeable future.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2014, 12:42:22 PM »
The Chick That Died In London (and other depressing aspects)
:rollin

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
Great clips, can't wait to hear the album. Seems a bit more lively than some previous album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
The concept sounds sad (in typical SW fashion :P) yet interesting, and the female vocals and boy choir add something new to the music - looking forward to hearing the album!
- Was Nick Beggs absent that day? Or does Steven always contribute on bass in the studio? Or is he just playing bass to write the parts, and then Nick will play them for the recordings?
Steven played bass on The Holy Drinker on the last album, so it's not exactly a new thing.
:clap:

Offline adamack

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
- Was Nick Beggs absent that day? Or does Steven always contribute on bass in the studio? Or is he just playing bass to write the parts, and then Nick will play them for the recordings?
Steven played bass on The Holy Drinker on the last album, so it's not exactly a new thing.

Oh wow never knew that! Thanks for the info.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »

:lol

You bastard!!  Loving what I'm hearing
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »
Well, guess I know what my most anticipated album of 2015 is. The potential on this one is off the charts man!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
This sounds amazing. Extremely pumped for this album.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »
There's not one thing this man does that doesn't impress me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
I'm mostly positive about the news, and it's nice to see him try on some new things. With that said, it sounds like it could either be a really special album, or that it could reach Ayreon levels of cheese. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he hasn't had any major disappointments really. Even his worst albums, you can still tell he puts a lot of energy and passion into them, and it's always worth the money to pick up an SW-related album.

I think similar to Raven, I will be very excited for the album going into the year, being a February release and all, but if the history continues to repeat itself, it will probably be an album I have kinda forgotten about when the end of the year comes. I can't think of any examples in the last 3-4 years when an album from the first 3-4 months have been up there for me when the year reaches its end, I think mostly because the strongest albums seems to come out in the spring/summer or fall, at least that's how it has been for me.

But yeah, I will be excited and I think we will get a good album. I don't expect SW to top himself or make something groundbreaking, because for the last years he has kinda found his role as making very solid and predictable albums, and whenever he puts out an album these days, you know what you will get, and you know it will be well produced with great music and some nice ideas.  :)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
This is sounding awesome.

- Love the female singer's voice. I may be the only one who thinks this, but I just hope that she isn't too involved. Nothing against her, I just prefer that any guest vocalist on any record be limited to a degree.  80% Steven and 20% guest vocalist would be great... Just hope it isn't 50/50 :(

- That documentary he references sounds so interesting, and so tragic. Dead in an apartment for 3 years, and nobody notices? So sad...

These three things are my thoughts exactly. I have to see that movie now!

Man, I'm pumped.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
Zantera, I have no idea what planet you are on, but TRTRTS was anything but predictable. Unless you count superb sound as predictable.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
70 prog sounding to him is playing it safe.  I get it with the younger crowd because using today's technology is expanding their musical horizons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
But how was it predictable? It sounds vastly different to his previous record, and really to anything else he's ever done. I guess that doesn't seem "predictable" to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
Zantera, I have no idea what planet you are on, but TRTRTS was anything but predictable. Unless you count superb sound as predictable.

Exactly.   

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
that new video is SO GOOD. the track with the female vocalist talking is straight out of a Max Richter album. i am so excited!

Offline adamack

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13:16 PM »

- Love the female singer's voice. I may be the only one who thinks this, but I just hope that she isn't too involved. Nothing against her, I just prefer that any guest vocalist on any record be limited to a degree.  80% Steven and 20% guest vocalist would be great... Just hope it isn't 50/50 :(

- That documentary he references sounds so interesting, and so tragic. Dead in an apartment for 3 years, and nobody notices? So sad...

Man, I'm pumped.

Same! Looking for it online now, to watch tonight.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2014, 03:16:58 AM »

It wasn't predictable because it was a 70s prog rock album, it was predictable because it was pretty much exactly what one would expect from Steven Wilson in 2013. And I don't think that predictable necessarily has to be something bad. Not every artist/band can be a Swans/Ulver-type of band and constantly surprise the listener. Many bands stick to their comfort zone and do a very good job at it, and there's really no shame in that either.

I would say Insurgentes was the last time SW really surprised me with an album, and what a fantastic album it was. Very different for him at the time, yet very refreshing. Grace For Drowning felt like a safe album IMO, and yet it is my favorite album he has done. So quality and predictability doesn't have to go hand in hand.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2014, 04:57:21 AM »
I disagree with most of your points. For me, Insurgentes (my favorite SW solo album) isn't really that different, it's just a very good amalgamation of all of SWs prior projects. There is some Bass Communion, No-Man, PT and Blackfield through the album though it's far more cohesive than one could expect from such different types of music.

On the other hand, I feel TRTRTS is a lot more innovative. When I listen to songs like Luminol or The Holy Drinker I really can't find anything comparable from SW's other projects - I don't think he has ever done anything so clearly 70's prog with no hints of pop, metal or ambient at all. It might not be innovative music, but I would definitely say it's innovative in the scope of his catalog.

Regarding GfD I'm on the fence really. I don't find it as innovative as TRTRTS but I also think he explored some new territory with songs like Raider II.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2014, 05:34:44 AM »
I disagree with most of your points. For me, Insurgentes (my favorite SW solo album) isn't really that different, it's just a very good amalgamation of all of SWs prior projects. There is some Bass Communion, No-Man, PT and Blackfield through the album though it's far more cohesive than one could expect from such different types of music.

On the other hand, I feel TRTRTS is a lot more innovative. When I listen to songs like Luminol or The Holy Drinker I really can't find anything comparable from SW's other projects - I don't think he has ever done anything so clearly 70's prog with no hints of pop, metal or ambient at all. It might not be innovative music, but I would definitely say it's innovative in the scope of his catalog.

Regarding GfD I'm on the fence really. I don't find it as innovative as TRTRTS but I also think he explored some new territory with songs like Raider II.

I think you bring up a good point with Insurgentes, but I feel like he made something new with elements he had only explored on the surface before. There's some Bass Communion and IEM on Insurgentes for sure, but with that album he took his darker influences and presented them in a really fresh way. Tracks like Harmony Korine or the title track could have been slightly re-arranged and worked as PT or Blackfield songs, but he really made something brand new with tracks like Salvaging, Get All You Deserve or Abandoner IMO, things I hadn't really heard from him before. Sure, influences from his more obscure projects, but never presented like this, and with interesting vocals as well.

Regarding Raven, we've had the discussion before about Raven being similar to GfD. We don't need to go down that road again, some people think Raven is totally different, others like me feel like Raven continues down the path GfD started. While 70's prog rock has been a major influence for Steven Wilson since the beginning (albums like Up the Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify) it has resurfaced again with GfD and Raven. My comment as for it being predictable comes more from an overall view on the genre itself. Reverting back to a more traditional sound with the roots in 70's prog rock has been a trend, and apart from SW you also have bands like Opeth and Pain of Salvation doing similar things. It's just the direction the genre has been going lately, and it's also very popular, both from a fan perspective, but also because many of these bands are in that age where they grew up with 70's prog rock, and it's very likely to shrine through in their music.

Since the new album is not out yet, we don't quite know what direction it will take, apart from a few brief samples, but the progressive element which has been featured heavily on Grace For Drowning and Raven seems intact, with a refreshing variety of some softer songs as well. As for Raven, it's such a fascinating album for me. I would give it an 8.5 or maybe even 9 out of 10, but I still have a weird stance on it. Musically it's a fantastic album, but I think predictable or familiar are good words. Again, not that SW has done this a million times before, but in this day and age and looking at where Prog Rock as a genre is, it's kinda the norm to make a 70's influenced album. I pretty much expect it, after seeing several of my favorite Prog Rock bands go down that road. But as he has shown us in the past, he tends to shift gears after a few years or so.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2014, 07:08:47 AM »
I think you bring up a good point with Insurgentes, but I feel like he made something new with elements he had only explored on the surface before. There's some Bass Communion and IEM on Insurgentes for sure, but with that album he took his darker influences and presented them in a really fresh way. Tracks like Harmony Korine or the title track could have been slightly re-arranged and worked as PT or Blackfield songs, but he really made something brand new with tracks like Salvaging, Get All You Deserve or Abandoner IMO, things I hadn't really heard from him before. Sure, influences from his more obscure projects, but never presented like this, and with interesting vocals as well.

Regarding Raven, we've had the discussion before about Raven being similar to GfD. We don't need to go down that road again, some people think Raven is totally different, others like me feel like Raven continues down the path GfD started. While 70's prog rock has been a major influence for Steven Wilson since the beginning (albums like Up the Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify) it has resurfaced again with GfD and Raven. My comment as for it being predictable comes more from an overall view on the genre itself. Reverting back to a more traditional sound with the roots in 70's prog rock has been a trend, and apart from SW you also have bands like Opeth and Pain of Salvation doing similar things. It's just the direction the genre has been going lately, and it's also very popular, both from a fan perspective, but also because many of these bands are in that age where they grew up with 70's prog rock, and it's very likely to shrine through in their music.

Since the new album is not out yet, we don't quite know what direction it will take, apart from a few brief samples, but the progressive element which has been featured heavily on Grace For Drowning and Raven seems intact, with a refreshing variety of some softer songs as well. As for Raven, it's such a fascinating album for me. I would give it an 8.5 or maybe even 9 out of 10, but I still have a weird stance on it. Musically it's a fantastic album, but I think predictable or familiar are good words. Again, not that SW has done this a million times before, but in this day and age and looking at where Prog Rock as a genre is, it's kinda the norm to make a 70's influenced album. I pretty much expect it, after seeing several of my favorite Prog Rock bands go down that road. But as he has shown us in the past, he tends to shift gears after a few years or so.

I kind of agree with your analysis of TRTRTS, I think we are just taking a different point of view when deciding whether it's innovative or not - you are looking at it from the "current trends by similar bands" perspective, while I was looking at it strictly from the SW perspective.

Regarding TRTRTS vs Grace, we will just agree to disagree there, it's true that it has been discussed many times and both views have their merits, they just don't feel similar at all to me (and I realize I might have had a different opinion when the album just came out, I just feel that way now that I've got to know it better).

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »

Man, I'm pumped.

I put it on hold from one of the local libraries, so should be getting it in the next couple days  :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
VCR Geek. :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
It's a DVD! :censored

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
Going against all your indie morals.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
 :lol

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »
I love 1970's prog (and thus I love The Raven) but I don't love the handful of SW/PT songs I've heard (I don't love Raider II, Somewhere But Not etc, etc), can someone rec me SW/PT songs I would like if like 70s prog?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
I love 1970's prog (and thus I love The Raven) but I don't love the handful of SW/PT songs I've heard (I don't love Raider II, Somewhere But Not etc, etc), can someone rec me SW/PT songs I would like if like 70s prog?

Dark Matter, The Sky Moves Sideways, Radioactive Toy, Even Less.

And that's relatively old Porcupine Tree. The band has had many different 'phases'. Try these.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »
Couldn't agree more, especially on DM, TSMS and RT. Even Less is great but I don't get an overly 70's vibe from it. Then again I've only heard when I've been shown from my 'rents in that regard, I'm only 25. But DM and TSMS especially, ten fold over. Some of my favorite PT songs.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
Steven Wilson is being shown to kids by their parents at this point?

Fuck.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
I believe he meant the only 70's sounding music was music his parents had shown him.

Also, definitely excited for the new album. I'm happy he's going in a different direction. If he can top Raven's title track, I'll be impressed.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »
Yes, that's what I mean; a bit jumbled in my description, apologies. Right, I've heard tons of 70's music due to my parents' tastes and preferences throughout the years. I had only heard SW when I got into the Kazaa era and discovered him on accident, just like Dream Theater, which started this now cosmic-sized snowball.  :millahhhh :heart

Although my dad loves the Wilson, he had no idea who he was when we went to the California concert (also met up with Jackie there! Good times) for the Grace tour. He immediately fell in love with (and this came out of the absolute furthest corners of the universe's left field) Raider II and Index. I pretty much wept when I saw that he was as into it as I was. Jackie and I were on the bottom floor and he was chillin' by the upper-floor bar and was just groovin' along. I figured he'd be miserable and would leave halfway through the set, if that far.  :lol

Anyway, great stuff and I love the vibe of this new entry thus far. Definitely deviating from his norm in terms of the solo-sound. Still very identifiable but also a bit...more sinister...? I can't wait to hear it all. I think there will always be that tinge of 70's influence since he is so in love with that sound, which I totally support and adore, but this time he's twisting it a bit further, it seems.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »
Good times  :D
I'm so willing to travel again this time if he doesn't come to CO. Or even if he does, really.

Offline adamack

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »

Man, I'm pumped.

I put it on hold from one of the local libraries, so should be getting it in the next couple days  :D

Did you receive/watch this yet? If so, how was it?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
I picked it up but haven't had time to watch it yet. I will in the next few days  :D