Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369406 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Steven Wilson v. The Man Who Refused to iPod
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
I love Steven, but he's a bit of a misanthrope.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Brilliant meme!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
Today I saw the music videos for Track One and Remainder The Black Dog.
Both scared the shit out of me  :omg: - especially Track One's
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
:lol :lol :lol

Brilliant meme!
Thanks!
Today I saw the music videos for Track One and Remainder The Black Dog.
Both scared the shit out of me  :omg: - especially Track One's
Speaking of Track One (not made by me):

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
I wonder how Steven feels about Spotify. :lol

The same way he feels about download culture and iTunes :lol

I mean, if his bands didn't release limited edition, hard-to-find, very expensive albums, then I'm sure people wouldn't have to download or illegally obtain them. Hell, make his music only obtainable through INEXPENSIVE, PHYSICAL formats and then I can see his point.

But the fact that he allows his music to be sold on digital and streaming websites seems counter to his POV. Sell CDs and Vinyl only, don't make music legally available in digital formats, and stand your ground on the matter. Digital music will always find its way through the internet, free or pirated, legal or illegal, fans and music lovers will obtain anything and everything they want. It's just the culture we live in now.

Then again, the man does have to make a living, so allowing digital formats to be sold sort of helps, but if he toured more often, with any or all of his bands, he'd be making bank. Maybe he's waiting to do a Porcupine Tree reunion tour to sell out and make a ton of money that way!!!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:46:57 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »
Why isn't Lightbulb Sun on iTunes though? Everything else seems to be
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
I don't think anyone brought this up yet but SW's just released a song he did with Mariusz Duda of Riverside and Lunatic Soul for download at Burning Shed. Proceeds go to raising money for cancer charities.

From SW himself...

'Myself and my friend Mariusz Duda have teamed up to record a song together, and for a very special reason.

Alec Wildey was a young fan who for several years had been passionate about our music, actively helping out with promotion as a leading member of the PT and SW street teams from the tender age of 17, and setting up a street team for Mariusz in 2010. Some of you will almost certainly have met Alec, as he attended many of our concerts. If you did you will have found him to be a sensitive, extremely intelligent and articulate young man. He was a devoted and enthusiastic music listener and movie watcher, as well as a self-published poet, with a very bright future ahead of him.

Unfortunately on Christmas Eve 2013 Alec learned he had a cancer of the lymphatic system, followed shortly afterwards by an additional diagnosis of liver cancer. He began a course of aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, but alas to no avail. At the end of July when he understood he had only a short time left, he emailed me to ask if it was possible that his two favourite musicians could set one of his poems to music, a long held dream of his. I immediately agreed but told him I would make a deal with him - I would make it happen if he could hang on long enough to hear it. We even discussed the possibility of him playing drums on the song himself. Unfortunately he passed away only a few weeks later on 25th August at the age of just 26, and so the idea to record the song has now become about honouring Alec's memory and all too short life, as well as a form of tribute to him and his family. One of Alec's poems The Old Peace has been beautifully set to music by Mariusz and sung and performed by both of us. It is now available to download from Burning Shed for a modest sum in both high resolution FLAC and mp3, with 50% of the proceeds going to the medical centre that cared for Alec during his final months, and 50% going to other cancer support group charities. We would be happy if as many people as possible paid for the official download (so please don't share it or upload it to any other sites) in order to raise as much as we can to help others that find themselves in the same awful situation. The song will be available to download until the end of January 2015, after which all the proceeds will be paid over to the cancer support groups.'

Link for download:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/multiproduct/65/4853/
That is incredibly awesome of them to do.

Not a fan, but yes it was indeed awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
Something similar - there are no pre-Stupid Dream albums on Spotify ???

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Something similar - there are no pre-Stupid Dream albums on Spotify ???

No pre-In Absentia* albums on Spotify.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
I wonder how Steven feels about Spotify. :lol

The same way he feels about download culture and iTunes :lol

I mean, if his bands didn't release limited edition, hard-to-find, very expensive albums, then I'm sure people wouldn't have to download or illegally obtain them. Hell, make his music only obtainable through INEXPENSIVE, PHYSICAL formats and then I can see his point.

But the fact that he allows his music to be sold on digital and streaming websites seems counter to his POV. Sell CDs and Vinyl only, don't make music legally available in digital formats, and stand your ground on the matter. Digital music will always find its way through the internet, free or pirated, legal or illegal, fans and music lovers will obtain anything and everything they want. It's just the culture we live in now.

Then again, the man does have to make a living, so allowing digital formats to be sold sort of helps, but if he toured more often, with any or all of his bands, he'd be making bank. Maybe he's waiting to do a Porcupine Tree reunion tour to sell out and make a ton of money that way!!!

-Marc.

He's sort of cooled his position on a lot of this stuff recently, and his general position is that he'd rather people hear the music in whatever form rather than not hear it at all.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has posted this:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVEN!

That mofo is 47 today but somehow manages to still look 17.

Jordan tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/Jcrudess/status/529393178659803136
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »

-Marc.

He addresses that paradox you pointed out (and it's quite a valid critique on his stance, I might add) in this video that was a bonus feature in the Insurgentes documentary. Something along the lines of "Just because I make it available on iTunes doesn't mean I like it". But as someone mentioned already, he's cooled down a bit on the topic since then (after all this was back in 2009/2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz0Wyveu4RQ

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 12:36:53 AM »
Jordan tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/Jcrudess/status/529393178659803136

While it's a nice gesture, I really don't think this particular song needed 30 times more notes

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 01:14:55 AM »
^Agreed.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 04:53:23 AM »
It'd be so cool if SW reciprocated JR's gesture today.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 07:41:24 AM »
I have a hard time seeing SW cover a DT song. It just doesn't seem like his cup of tea.  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
He should cover Space-Dye Vest.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »

While it's a nice gesture, I really don't think this particular song needed 30 times more notes

Yeah, bummer really. But, it's what he does I guess.

Now that's something I would like to hear.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
What was his issue with iPods, anyway?  I seem to remember something about it years ago, but it was before I really knew who he was (and thus didn't care what he had to say).  Something about how it's not the proper way to listen to music?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
These days it's more of a joke than anything. People who take it seriously are morons. He's had some negative things to say about the new generation of music trends, but his problem has nothing to do with iPods themselves; it's about the effect it has on the musician and the album and what they've brought, not the hardware or the company (arguably, anyway...I mean the iPod and Apple were kind of the big bang for the paradigm shift in music). He's made a few comments on how it's become less personal and not as intimate as well as having a problem with the use of 'shuffle' in that it essentially negates the way an album is constructed; furthermore, the new emphasis on single songs instead of albums seems to rub him the wrong way as well as the 'way' it's become popular to listen to (I remember one interview had him commenting about him reminiscing, listening to an album in his room on vinyl, from start to finish and how that'll be an extreme rarity) and of course, like any other musician today, seems to have a problem with the age of music sharing, downloading, etc.

Sure, he's crotchety sometimes, but I can see why with how drastic the music industry has changed in just my own life alone. I can't imagine being born during a time when vinyl was the main format and seeing all the changes till now. It's not necessarily bad, but I don't blame him for being the grumpy old man sometimes.  :laugh: Other than that, it's mostly people being people and blowing shit out of proportion and/or poking fun at it, which is never a bad thing (the latter, anyway). Adapt!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:11:17 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »
:omg: :millahhhh :metal

THIS IS GONNA BE SO FUCKIN' TITS.

Lovin' that pinao in the beginning snippit, as well as the story. Oh, and everything else.

RIP DTP.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was more that people weren't listening to entire albums and just listening to songs out of context. Plus the issue of artwork not being able to be fully appreciated.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »
I'm not sure if that was commented at me, but I said that... So yes, correct.  :P

Except the artwork, I missed that point, which he seemed to emphasize. I certainly agree, now that I've bought my first album (Devy's Z2) in YEARS and it's awesome having tangible artwork. Pretty sure Mr. Wilson's work will be next that I buy tangibly.

RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »
Damn that sounds awesome.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
This sounds like it's going to be amazing and I cannot wait. Aren't we about due for some BurningShed pre-orders soon? February is only 3-4 months away...I need to know soon so I can save up the right amount of money for the damn "super-deluxe extra-special limited edition in slipcase-digibook with bound-in 48-page full color booklet with interviews and photos with bonus chewed-on guitar pick".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
I love the boy's choir snippets  :omg:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
Definitely that. ^

I've already listened to it three times, it really is equally beautiful and haunting; especially given the subject matter of the album.

RIP DTP.

Offline adamack

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »
This is sounding awesome.

Few thoughts:

- Was Nick Beggs absent that day? Or does Steven always contribute on bass in the studio? Or is he just playing bass to write the parts, and then Nick will play them for the recordings?

- Love the female singer's voice. I may be the only one who thinks this, but I just hope that she isn't too involved. Nothing against her, I just prefer that any guest vocalist on any record be limited to a degree.  80% Steven and 20% guest vocalist would be great... Just hope it isn't 50/50 :(

- That documentary he references sounds so interesting, and so tragic. Dead in an apartment for 3 years, and nobody notices? So sad...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »
Can't wait for this.  :coolio :hat

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
Oh wow! Can't wait for this now!

Now we know the basic story, any guesses for the title? He mentioned "Routine" a few times as a song title.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:18:02 PM by RoeDent »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
The Chick That Died In London (and other depressing aspects)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
 :|  :rollin

RIP DTP.