Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369420 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:29:37 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Steven Wilson v. The Man Who Refused to iPod
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
Oooooh Steven Wilson

:heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
Wow, Nick, you're really on a roll.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »
I wanna know how SW listens to music when he's out and about.

Cassettes and Sony Walkman ?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »
Nah. He wheels a giant vintage record player around with him.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
I'm envisioning flavor flav but with the turntable where the clock should be.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
Tagging the thread and casually stating that Insurgentes (the album) rules

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
My earholes are ready for new Wilson. I turned my ladyfriend onto him just yesterday and she's in that overly-addicted, 'honeymoon' phase where she wants every piece of music by him and when I told her that a new album is on the horizon she just about creamed herself after saying that Raven is her new favorite album.

I'm ready for that groovy, soulful, melancholic awesomeness that this man does so well. I'm also ready for that flowing hair and scruffy beard on tour, which I will definitely not miss this time around.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
Nah. He wheels a giant vintage record player around with him.

And the record player is on a miniature train.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
Nick this thread title delivers
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline adamack

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
I love the new album snippets!

That "poppy" tune sounds wonderful. Anyone know what he's saying? I swear it sounds like he says "Handcat love", but I don't know what a handcat would be.

One last thing...anyone ever notice when SW says words with "n's" in them, he adds an "L" sound? Totally random, I know, but I've always been so curious as to whether or not I'm crazy, or if people know what I mean.

Example: "Window" would be "Wilndow"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed that too.

Offline adamack

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed that too.

Awesome, great to know I'm not crazy

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
SW has the potential to be my favorite songwriter but he just chooses not to. TRTRTS is one of my 20 favorite albums ever, but the rest of the PT and SW catalog doesn't sound anything like that. SW is against making 1970's prog in 2014 which is a shame, because the one time he tried it, it was spectacular. I just don't like Grace and Insurgurentes (sp?). PT doesn't do anything for me almost as a whole.

If I love 70's prog and The Raven, can someone give me some SW/PT songs to check out?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
My earholes are ready for new Wilson.

What a coincedence, my penis is named Wilson.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
That doesn't go in there!
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »
Following! I've given GfD and Insurgentes a few listens in the past few weeks, since I love them both but TRTRTS was my first SW album and thus has a lot more listens. Particularly GfD is just AWESOME.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
If I love 70's prog and The Raven, can someone give me some SW/PT songs to check out?
His pre-Stupid Dream stuff is quite psychodelic and a bit proggy, so you should check either Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »

So Tom Hanks misses your penis
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
 :lol

Arj, you can have my earholes anytime, BB.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Steven Wilson has aged so well. I wonder if he works out. And what he eats...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »
He didn't get married.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »
He eats iPods. For breakfast.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »
Without any milk.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:18 AM »
Love the new thread title! :lol
He didn't get married.
:rollin

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
 :lol

I feel like the last couple of posts in the old SW thread should be here cause they had interesting stuff in them.

SW has the potential to be my favorite songwriter but he just chooses not to. TRTRTS is one of my 20 favorite albums ever, but the rest of the PT and SW catalog doesn't sound anything like that. SW is against making 1970's prog in 2014 which is a shame, because the one time he tried it, it was spectacular. I just don't like Grace and Insurgurentes (sp?). PT doesn't do anything for me almost as a whole.

Umm... he doesn't make music for you, brah.

:rollin

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
I don't think anyone brought this up yet but SW's just released a song he did with Mariusz Duda of Riverside and Lunatic Soul for download at Burning Shed. Proceeds go to raising money for cancer charities.

From SW himself...

'Myself and my friend Mariusz Duda have teamed up to record a song together, and for a very special reason.

Alec Wildey was a young fan who for several years had been passionate about our music, actively helping out with promotion as a leading member of the PT and SW street teams from the tender age of 17, and setting up a street team for Mariusz in 2010. Some of you will almost certainly have met Alec, as he attended many of our concerts. If you did you will have found him to be a sensitive, extremely intelligent and articulate young man. He was a devoted and enthusiastic music listener and movie watcher, as well as a self-published poet, with a very bright future ahead of him.

Unfortunately on Christmas Eve 2013 Alec learned he had a cancer of the lymphatic system, followed shortly afterwards by an additional diagnosis of liver cancer. He began a course of aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, but alas to no avail. At the end of July when he understood he had only a short time left, he emailed me to ask if it was possible that his two favourite musicians could set one of his poems to music, a long held dream of his. I immediately agreed but told him I would make a deal with him - I would make it happen if he could hang on long enough to hear it. We even discussed the possibility of him playing drums on the song himself. Unfortunately he passed away only a few weeks later on 25th August at the age of just 26, and so the idea to record the song has now become about honouring Alec's memory and all too short life, as well as a form of tribute to him and his family. One of Alec's poems The Old Peace has been beautifully set to music by Mariusz and sung and performed by both of us. It is now available to download from Burning Shed for a modest sum in both high resolution FLAC and mp3, with 50% of the proceeds going to the medical centre that cared for Alec during his final months, and 50% going to other cancer support group charities. We would be happy if as many people as possible paid for the official download (so please don't share it or upload it to any other sites) in order to raise as much as we can to help others that find themselves in the same awful situation. The song will be available to download until the end of January 2015, after which all the proceeds will be paid over to the cancer support groups.'

Link for download:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/multiproduct/65/4853/

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »
That's exactly one of the things I was talking about! Someone posted that in the old thread a day before it got locked and it hadn't been reposted. I was feeling lazy. Thanks :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 06:31:06 AM »
They've stopped making the iPod Classic. In a cave somewhere, Steven Wilson is writing a happy song.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »
They've stopped making the iPod Classic. In a cave somewhere, Steven Wilson is writing a happy song.

Holy shit I didn't know that, I love mine.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
I wonder how Steven feels about Spotify. :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »
I don't think anyone brought this up yet but SW's just released a song he did with Mariusz Duda of Riverside and Lunatic Soul for download at Burning Shed. Proceeds go to raising money for cancer charities.

From SW himself...

'Myself and my friend Mariusz Duda have teamed up to record a song together, and for a very special reason.

Alec Wildey was a young fan who for several years had been passionate about our music, actively helping out with promotion as a leading member of the PT and SW street teams from the tender age of 17, and setting up a street team for Mariusz in 2010. Some of you will almost certainly have met Alec, as he attended many of our concerts. If you did you will have found him to be a sensitive, extremely intelligent and articulate young man. He was a devoted and enthusiastic music listener and movie watcher, as well as a self-published poet, with a very bright future ahead of him.

Unfortunately on Christmas Eve 2013 Alec learned he had a cancer of the lymphatic system, followed shortly afterwards by an additional diagnosis of liver cancer. He began a course of aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, but alas to no avail. At the end of July when he understood he had only a short time left, he emailed me to ask if it was possible that his two favourite musicians could set one of his poems to music, a long held dream of his. I immediately agreed but told him I would make a deal with him - I would make it happen if he could hang on long enough to hear it. We even discussed the possibility of him playing drums on the song himself. Unfortunately he passed away only a few weeks later on 25th August at the age of just 26, and so the idea to record the song has now become about honouring Alec's memory and all too short life, as well as a form of tribute to him and his family. One of Alec's poems The Old Peace has been beautifully set to music by Mariusz and sung and performed by both of us. It is now available to download from Burning Shed for a modest sum in both high resolution FLAC and mp3, with 50% of the proceeds going to the medical centre that cared for Alec during his final months, and 50% going to other cancer support group charities. We would be happy if as many people as possible paid for the official download (so please don't share it or upload it to any other sites) in order to raise as much as we can to help others that find themselves in the same awful situation. The song will be available to download until the end of January 2015, after which all the proceeds will be paid over to the cancer support groups.'

Link for download:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/multiproduct/65/4853/
That is incredibly awesome of them to do.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
I wonder how Steven feels about Spotify. :lol

The same way he feels about download culture and iTunes :lol