Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371201 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #840 on: March 01, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »
Wow, this album is really really good! I think I still like Grace and Raven more, but I think it's really hard to top those two. But goddamn, what a great album, I never think that Steven embraced the concept thing so fully, there are even recurring melodies in the record. 3YO, Routine and Ancestral are instant classics, whilist all the other songs are just stunning. Love how the vibe is different, but so familiar too, Home Invasion really reminded me of PT. Like a lot, especially the intro and the chorus. And Regret #9  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy - never was I this happy of hearing a track that it's basically two solos. Waiting for my copy  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #841 on: March 01, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
Man, all these positive reactions are increasing my excitement for this album. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #842 on: March 01, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
I'd say I probably rate the Viet Cong album higher. It's the same with all those rating sites though. You got SW haters who downrates his music, just as you have SW fanboys who downrate other albums. It's really just how the internet works. Same with IMDB and movies.

Most albums ends up within the 3,4-3,6 range nowadays and, looking through SW discography, most of his albums have high ratings there.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #843 on: March 01, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »
I have to be honest. Not only is this an absolutely amazing album, this has got to be my favorite Steven Wilson solo album so far. In fact, there might be only a couple of Porcupine Tree albums I would consider better than this. It really is that fantastic. I'm too lazy to write more, just felt like joining the hype.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: March 01, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »
what's with the track splitting? seems like the actual CD has split tracking for "3 Years Older," "Regret #9," and "Ascendant Here On..." but the web release combined them with the song before?

One version also crossfades "Regret #9" into the opening of "Transience", while the other (with the combined tracks) has "Transience" apart from "Regret #9". Anyone know why there's such a difference? Did the web release get a different over-all mix?

-Marc.

"Transience" ends side C of the vinyl, so that explains where the lack of crossfade comes from. i wonder if the masters are otherwise different though!

edit: ... woops, i was talking about the transition into "Ancestral," not the one you said. so now there's no practical reason why the "Regret #9" crossfade wouldn't be there. hm... otherwise, the CD version has a lot more time between tracks EXCEPT this crossfade, and it's ever so slightly louder — like, i'm talking a quarter of a dB or less in the difference, just enough for the occasional transient to flatten out slightly (but that's a difference caused by the limiter, so it was a choice).

i love that "Ascendant Here on..." is a piano reprise of "Perfect Life." it was the right choice to end the record.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:01:35 PM by seasonsinthesky »

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #845 on: March 01, 2015, 09:23:35 PM »
knowing that there are ways to listen to this album but trying to wait till my copy arrives on thursday is killing me  :(
but in my pre-album SW binge i finally got around to listening to Insurgentes.  great album  :hefdaddy I think Raven is still my favorite of SW solo albums, but i might like it more than GfD.
Really excited for HCE since this is my first SW release since i started listening to him, then first time seeing him live in Philly in may  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #846 on: March 01, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
I listened to the new album earlier today. It is quite possibly my new favorite album from Wilson, both solo and in Porcupine Tree. This is just absolutely outstanding! :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: March 02, 2015, 12:15:47 AM »
I'm just listening to SW on the train. Wait.. what...  :lol

My favourite tracks are now 3 Years Older, Hand. Cannot. Erase., Home Invasion and Happy Returns.

Gotta love that new SW sound. Much more balanced, poppy and just the way I like it.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #848 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:12 AM »
I'm just listening to SW on the train. Wait.. what...  :lol

MIND BLOWN
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #849 on: March 02, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »
Small spoilers for anyone interested in living through the story the first time listening to the record

Story wise, the end. What happens there? Does she commit suicide? Or does she disappear like the old lady in the story?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #850 on: March 02, 2015, 01:43:32 AM »
Oh my. I am a new convert. Thank you, DTF.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #851 on: March 02, 2015, 02:34:59 AM »
My copy arrived this morning! :caffeine:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #852 on: March 02, 2015, 03:02:53 AM »
Small spoilers for anyone interested in living through the story the first time listening to the record

Story wise, the end. What happens there? Does she commit suicide? Or does she disappear like the old lady in the story?

The way I see it is that she stops in the middle of writing a letter because she's 'feeling drowsy', and then dies never getting to finish the letter. I haven't read the lyrics, or listened to the album more than once (except for Happy Returns), so that's just what I thought just what I've been picturing. If that's what it is, then it's really sad.

I don't even know what old lady you are referring to, so I might be way off, since the lyrics of Happy Returns are pretty much the only ones I really noticed.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »

The way I see it is that she stops in the middle of writing a letter because she's 'feeling drowsy', and then dies never getting to finish the letter. I haven't read the lyrics, or listened to the album more than once (except for Happy Returns), so that's just what I thought just what I've been picturing. If that's what it is, then it's really sad.

I don't even know what old lady you are referring to, so I might be way off, since the lyrics of Happy Returns are pretty much the only ones I really noticed.

Well in the deluxe edition there's a story of a young girl who disappears. Just off the radar. Yeaaaars later, when she's an old lady she reappears and dies at the same moment. The main character always felt like that was a sort of ideal life.
I believe she never finishes the letter because she can't, not after all those years. But the drowzyness is something I glossed over, that's a good point too.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #854 on: March 02, 2015, 04:58:42 AM »
I think she kind of breaks her isolation and returns to society, just to discover that nothing had changed. And then she meets her brother.

My fav track definitely is Routine - DAT climax :hefdaddy :heart.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #855 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:05 AM »
Home Invasion or Ancestral are winning this fight for best song, but Happy Returns is so good too.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #856 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
BIG SPOILERS

Steven said that the ending is pretty ambiguos, my theory is that since Happy Returns is the last thing we (society) know about her, I think that at this point she completely isolates herself in every way, so we don't really know what happened, although she says "It's time to leave now" in the diary.  I have no idea :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #857 on: March 02, 2015, 07:14:30 AM »
Ordering this one as soon as possible!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: March 02, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »
I'm curious what some of the prog fans will think of the album, because it isn't very progressive compared to his last few albums. Pretty diverse overall, I like it.

Even though it's not as progressive as his previous albums it still has tons of prog in there so I don't think prog fans will be complaining a lot about it.
Personally I found the album to be very interesting, it keeps being an SW album even though it goes to new territories and I got a good feeling while listening to it this morning going to work.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #859 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:37 AM »
Amazing album. Routine is my favorite song so far.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
It's not prog. It is progressive. But Steven Wilson has always been about progression instead of making prog, in my ears.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #861 on: March 02, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
I had a few instant favorites (Home Invasion / Regret #9, Ancestral), but after a few weeks of listening I have to say there's not one single weak song on the damn thing. Warmed up a lot to Three Years Older and Hand Cannot Erase, and I just recently fell completely for Happy Returns.

Better than The Raven? I didn't think so at first.. but this album just seems to have so much more emotion throughout. Also, I'm not a fan of 'The Pin Drop' at all, and I kind of dislike the ending to 'The Watchmaker'. This album has it all.. SW branching out vocally, catchy songs, orgasmic solos and fortunately and finally some headbang worthy moments as well.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #862 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
what's with the track splitting? seems like the actual CD has split tracking for "3 Years Older," "Regret #9," and "Ascendant Here On..." but the web release combined them with the song before?
It looks like the promo version includes combined tracks as well, because I read a magazine review where the writer was talking about "First Regret/3 Years Older" being heavily Rush-influenced (something I agree with btw).
I'm curious what some of the prog fans will think of the album, because it isn't very progressive compared to his last few albums. Pretty diverse overall, I like it.
Even though it's not as progressive as his previous albums it still has tons of prog in there so I don't think prog fans will be complaining a lot about it.
There were some pessimistic comments from disappointed prog fans when Perfect Life was released: https://www.facebook.com/StevenWilsonHQ/posts/890573920962871 I know the rest of the album doesn't sound like that, but I still find it pretty amusing to see people deeming the album a disappointment when they've heard only one or two tracks. :lol
Better than The Raven? I didn't think so at first.. but this album just seems to have so much more emotion throughout.
Definitely! The title-track of Raven is really beautiful, but I found it hard to connect with the rest of the album emotionally, probably due to the ghost story lyrics, whereas HCE feels much more accessible and easier to relate to.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #863 on: March 02, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »
AOTY

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #864 on: March 02, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
Really enjoying the female vocals on this.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #865 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »
I cannot help but smile everytime I hear 'Transience' and that catchy folk melody (It's only the start) pops up from out-of-nowhere. Genius.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #866 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:36 AM »
After multiple listens now I can say this is easily my favorite SW album, and would rank up there with the best PT albums. Truly amazing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #867 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
I cannot help but smile everytime I hear 'Transience' and that catchy folk melody (It's only the start) pops up from out-of-nowhere. Genius.
Yeah, that melody is beautiful. Even the short transition tracks on the album are tremendous.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #868 on: March 02, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »

I actually wished there were more. Her voice is stunning.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »

The version of Routine with only her vocals on the Blu Ray is awesome.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #870 on: March 02, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
Haven't gotten my copy yet, excited to hear all the positive reviews. My only concern is how unprogressive it is and how pop it is. I'm definitely not a pop fan and can't even see how a SW album could be solely of the pop genre. Surely even if it is pop it has that trademark SW sense of melancholy, right?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #871 on: March 02, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »
Haven't gotten my copy yet, excited to hear all the positive reviews. My only concern is how unprogressive it is and how pop it is. I'm definitely not a pop fan and can't even see how a SW album could be solely of the pop genre. Surely even if it is pop it has that trademark SW sense of melancholy, right?

Some vocal melodies are a bit more pop or classic rock inspired. That said, there's enough prog on it and the solos play an even bigger part than before.

More than anything though, it sounds more contemporary instead of looking towards the 70's.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: March 02, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »

Yes indeed. I also think on the behind the scenes videos these parts on Ancestral: "You can shut the door, but you can't ignore..." were female and I loved them more than what we've got in the final product. I totally enjoy her voice though, and the way she provides the backing vocals is just incredible; or course, when she's doing the lead ones it's even more incredible.

AOTY

It's a sure contender for it, but until I've heard Nightwish, Kamelot, The Gentle Storm, Mark Knopfler, Dream Theater, possible David Gilmour and a lot of other albums I will reserve my judgement.

Damn awesome album though. Steven didn't disappoint me once again, even though I was a bit anxious when I've heard about the poppy approach.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: March 02, 2015, 10:46:21 AM »
really liking the alt mix of "Perfect Life" more than the album version! the extra few minutes are just stunning.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #874 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
stop getting me so hyped for this I'm not getting this until like a month from now because I tend to buy albums in bulk omg