Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371173 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:21 AM »
"Time has left it's curse upon this place". Goosebumps every time.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #596 on: January 26, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »
The whole song is just shiver inducing in every aspect. Might be my favorite from Raven  :hefdaddy
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #597 on: January 26, 2015, 06:12:16 AM »
There's a new SW interview by Face Culture up on their youtube channel, and the original source for the video where he spoke about the PT rumors.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYX_sEeAV9Y
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkN_xcehtrA

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
I find it kind of sad that the other guys will constantly live under PT's shadow (check out Gavin's upcoming solo record), while SW makes it big with his solo project.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »
"Time has left it's curse upon this place". Goosebumps every time.

Especially that "Asian body shared". Mysterious, and creepy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: January 26, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
Just checked out the tickets for the two NY shows at Best Buy Theatre.  They are doing seating, not standing?  Bleh.  I went there during the Grace for Drowning tour and it was all standing.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: January 26, 2015, 12:49:30 PM »
I find it kind of sad that the other guys will constantly live under PT's shadow (check out Gavin's upcoming solo record), while SW makes it big with his solo project.

The teaser for Gavin's album sounded really interesting IMO. I think it could be a nice release to fill a small part of the void of the people missing PT.

After watching the new SW interview I was happy to hear him talk about the new album, and how it will be a more modern sounding album. That to me signals that hopefully he is leaving the 70's thing behind, and combined with the other news of female vocals, no flute and just a quick look at the tracklist, it feels like this could be a very different album. Personally I would love for him to leave the progressive rock element all together, but since it's part of his DNA, this seems to be the closest we will get. The story behind the album is fascinating, and I hope he does it justice.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #602 on: January 26, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »

The teaser for Gavin's album sounded really interesting IMO. I think it could be a nice release to fill a small part of the void of the people missing PT.

After watching the new SW interview I was happy to hear him talk about the new album, and how it will be a more modern sounding album. That to me signals that hopefully he is leaving the 70's thing behind, and combined with the other news of female vocals, no flute and just a quick look at the tracklist, it feels like this could be a very different album. Personally I would love for him to leave the progressive rock element all together, but since it's part of his DNA, this seems to be the closest we will get. The story behind the album is fascinating, and I hope he does it justice.
Yeah, I'm also looking forward to listening to that album. That being said, PT was Gavin's big boom as a drummer, and he's still stuck as PT's drummer. He's done a nice job as one of KC's drummers, but I can't see him having actual growth in the industry.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #603 on: January 26, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
Just like with MP, drummers rise and fall with the band they play in. You can be the best drummer in the world, if people don't like the songwriting, nobody will care.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #604 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »
So I finally heard the title track, and I love it. Really excited if this is representative of the album.

Offline TL

« Reply #605 on: January 30, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
On the one hand, yes, Steven Wilson has every right to decide what path his career will take going forward, and he absolutely should do what he wants to do.

On the other, he seems weirdly dismissive of his former bandmates; almost disrespectful honestly. I mean, we're talking about three talented individuals who he played with for years and created a lot of great music with. People with whom he was a part of something really unique and special.

If he sees that as being in the past, that's okay. If he's feeling much more into the whole solo thing, that's just him being honest. Saying things like "why would I ever go back to that?" is pretty damn flippant though. Even if he doesn't intend for some of his statements to come off so disrespectfully, they absolutely do, and he should maybe be a bit more aware of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #606 on: January 30, 2015, 09:21:08 PM »
I disagree.  I think PT had grown to a point where it was no longer SW- 100% dominated from a writing standpoint, and since he is obviously someone who likes to have full creative control, keeping at it with his solo career is the better way to go at this point.  Him saying, "Why would I go back to that?" is more a reflection of him wanting to maintain full creative control than it is being dismissive of his former bandmates.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #607 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »
People who interpret that comment as a slight towards the rest of PT need to have their heads checked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #608 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
Well, I get that some want their Porcupine Tree back, and hell so would I, but I respect the right of the artist to pursue his or her true artistic vision.  And I seriously doubt this is what SW intended to do. After The Incident tour, when he started working on GFD, I doubt his intention was to chuck PT to the side, but he made that album, got a band together for the live tour and had such a great time, he decided to do another solo album with that band (The Raven), and here we are.  He is obviously having a blast with it all, so he is supposed to throw it all aside for PT, or lie to the press and us and say that longs to return to a real band?  Of course not.  And, again, what he said was not a slight to PT or any of the members; it was merely him all but saying how much he loves having full control of his artistic creativity.  How can you not love that?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:17 AM »
The rumor about the break-up/hiatus was that SW had written some material post-Incident that he showed the other guys. They weren't extremely happy, and wanted to re-work the songs and make it more a collaborative thing, and SW wasn't ready to give up that much control. A rumor is a rumor, but it would seem logical with everything else we know. And it's entirely up to SW. If he doesn't want to give up control, then that's his decision.

I agree with Kev that PT had grown more into a direction where SW wasn't 100% of the band, and I think it showed particularly on The Incident. Similar with how Aviv Geffen's role in Blackfield had gotten bigger, and SW left that project as well. SW wants to be the guy in control, and as a musician (although nowhere near the same level) myself, I can understand him, and I'm kinda the same way. It's admirable because if he pulls it off, he is the one who will get the appreciation, but if he fails to deliver, he also has to hold the responsibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #610 on: January 31, 2015, 03:40:10 AM »
SW wants to be the guy in control, and as a musician (although nowhere near the same level) myself, I can understand him, and I'm kinda the same way. It's admirable because if he pulls it off, he is the one who will get the appreciation, but if he fails to deliver, he also has to hold the responsibility.

I can understand wanting control too. But after having written and having complete control over my own music alone for like 7 years, and having recently formed a band, it's really really fun and a relief almost to share the responsibility of creating music, so I personally wouldn't give that up. But then on the other hand, maybe it works both ways. Maybe after having spent all those years in a band, he felt that it was nice to do things on his own.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #611 on: January 31, 2015, 04:15:29 AM »
On the one hand, yes, Steven Wilson has every right to decide what path his career will take going forward, and he absolutely should do what he wants to do.

On the other, he seems weirdly dismissive of his former bandmates; almost disrespectful honestly. I mean, we're talking about three talented individuals who he played with for years and created a lot of great music with. People with whom he was a part of something really unique and special.

If he sees that as being in the past, that's okay. If he's feeling much more into the whole solo thing, that's just him being honest. Saying things like "why would I ever go back to that?" is pretty damn flippant though. Even if he doesn't intend for some of his statements to come off so disrespectfully, they absolutely do, and he should maybe be a bit more aware of that.
Exactly; the "why on earth" comment makes it sound like he thinks a PT reunion is the most ridiculous idea he's ever heard. He could've said it in a more diplomatic way, like "I may get back together with the PT guys at some point down the line, but right now I'm enjoying the freedom of being a solo artist."

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #612 on: January 31, 2015, 05:07:31 AM »
Yeah, thinking about it, in the end the problem is the way Steven expressed about the whole thing, he could've been more.. I don't know, gentle? No, I don't know if gentle is the way he should've been. Well, whatever.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline pfillion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #614 on: January 31, 2015, 06:27:48 AM »
You have to register to read the review?  To hell with that.  Sites like that suck.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: January 31, 2015, 06:32:29 AM »
You have to register to read the review?  To hell with that.  Sites like that suck.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #616 on: January 31, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
Someone please copy and paste it here.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #617 on: January 31, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
Done XBOX

Spoiler alert:

Inspired by a tragic true story, Wilson’s fourth solo album explores 21st century loneliness, and reveals fresh new depths to his musical character.

As the old adage has it, truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Not least with the latest starting point for Steven Wilson’s fourth album. Forget the ever lengthening shadows, the haunted houses and the ghost and ghouls that made up 2013’s The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) – the spectres that form Hand. Cannot. Erase. are very real indeed, like a bad dream from which you can’t wake up as you realise that you’ve been conscious all along.

Wilson’s no stranger to the dark stuff, he has an eye for the melancholic and a taste of the macabre, but no one can be surprised by the impact that the story of Joyce Carol Vincent (as realised in the Carol Morley’s acclaimed documentary Dreams Of A Life) had on the songwriter when he first stumbled upon it in 2011.

He was, he says, “completely spellbound” by the film. The complex story of the circumstances making up Vincent’s death is truly the stuff of nightmares. A high-flyer who suffered at the hands of an abusive partner, she went on to become a recluse living in a bedsit in north London, estranged from her family and friends. She died there and then, through a series of extraordinary and tragic circumstances, wasn’t discovered until almost three years later, in January 2006. She was found, almost skeletal, in the flickering light of her still-functioning TV, next to some partially wrapped presents she’d been preparing for Christmas.

“This planted the seed,” says Wilson, “and the rest of the concept ballooned from there. The story seemed so symptomatic of the modern world, the idea that – even in this age of social media – you could be surrounded by millions of people on the other side of walls and yet still be completely isolated. I used Joyce Vincent as a starting point, a vessel to explore all these subjects, and invented a fictional character.”

As a jumping-off point it’s precariously high, and it would be understandable if Wilson had chosen instead to continue telling horror stories in the dark, but for a man whose head was irrevocably turned at the age of eight by both Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon and Donna Summer’s Love To Love You Baby, each with their own intractable arc, standing still creatively was never going to be enough.

Hand. Cannot. Erase. is as expansive as Wilson might have ever been and more concise than he’s ever been before. Case in point, the almost fleeting title track – a relatively scant four minutes plus – which, with its lyrical phrasing and staccato melody could have easily featured (as strange as it may sound), on the Manic Street Preachers’ This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours album. It’s a hitherto unseen side to Wilson’s musical personality and a welcome one too.

Purists shouldn’t fret though, Wilson is as singularly uninhibited as he’s ever been on Hand. Cannot. Erase. He utilises Israeli singer Ninet Tayeb to thrilling effect on the undulating and sprawling Routine – in typical Wilson fashion, he tried the same song with four different singers before settling on her vocal. Elsewhere, there’s a choir and, perhaps most chillingly, a remote female voice who occasionally carries the storyline along in near colourless monologues set against spiralling washes of music that are as much looping, ambient dance as they are anything to do with progressive rock.

That said, Wilson and his band (Marco Minnemann, Guthrie Govan, Nick Beggs and Adam Holzman) lean heavily on Rush’s Jacob’s Ladder and The Camera Eye, not least in the co-joined opener First Regret/3 Years Older. There are also flourishes of 70s rock in the hard driven Ancestral, as fiercely overblown in parts as the lamenting Perfect Life is an exercise in defeated understatement, though both have an elegant charm all their own.

Happy Returns is the chilling denouement, sounding like one final phone call to the outside world before the shades are forever pulled down tight. Its high keening tone is the last refrain as night falls forever and the door is closed on a life ended in futility, lost and utterly alone, doomed to be shrouded by darkness for the next three years, Wilson’s wonderful elegiac soundtrack its fitting swansong.

Offline TL

« Reply #618 on: January 31, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »
I feel like some (not all) of the people replying to what I said in here ignored 90% of my post.
I'm not saying SW should go back to Porcupine Tree. As much as I would like that, I absolutely respect his decision to focus on his solo material. I don't need him to keep teasing some remote chance that PT will get back together. If he were to say "Porcupine Tree is something that's behind me now, and I'm definitely going to stick with my solo career", that would be okay.

Whether or not PT will ever make another album together isn't the issue. It's how dismissive he seems to be about the band (and by extension, the other members of the band). "?" got what I was saying. SW is allowed to be done with PT if he wants to be. It's just disheartening to hear how he seems to view the band in retrospect.
There's a big difference between "we're not getting back together" and "why would I ever go back to that?", and he's a smart enough guy that he should know that.

I'm sorry, rumborak, if recognizing that different words mean different things means that I apparently need to have my head examined.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #619 on: January 31, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
Okay, but his exact words were, "Why would I want to go back to a band now?"  He is not dismissing PT; he is dismissing the idea of going back to any band.

As for that review, wOOt! Bring it. :hat

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #620 on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:27 PM »
The funny thing is, I feel as if his current "solo" band has as much chemistry and togetherness as PT. In fact, I entertained the thought of this lineup becoming a full band, with a name and everything. Much the same way as PT started off as a solo moniker for SW then developed into a band.

And that review is awesome! Interesting comparison with the title track and one of my favourite non-prog albums.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #621 on: January 31, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »
I think SW is just fed up with the constant asking and pestering about doing more with PT, after years of saying "this is what I want to do, not PT." He needs to be blunt to get the idea across. He even says that PT still has a close place in his heart, it simply just isn't in his interests. Which is fine. When you start doing something that isn't fun, the quality suffers. Steven Wilson sees that very clearly, and thus has consistently come out with some of the most high quality music throughout the years.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: February 01, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »
But he has himself and the others to slightly blame for that. When you keep leading fans on for 5 years and constantly talk about "there will probably be another album", fans are gonna keep asking. If they had gone out after the anniversary shows in 2010 and said "this is it", I bet the amount of people asking would be much lower. Sure, there's always gonna be some nostalgic people who long for the old days, but the way SW and the others have handled this by constantly saying that it's not over and more music is in the future, they keep "teasing" the fans, and the fans keep asking as a result.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #623 on: February 01, 2015, 04:52:54 AM »
I think SW is just fed up with the constant asking and pestering about doing more with PT, after years of saying "this is what I want to do, not PT." He needs to be blunt to get the idea across.
This. And I can't believe it's so hard for people to let it go finally.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #624 on: February 01, 2015, 05:00:00 AM »
Steven follows his musical heart and that's all that should matter.  None of us has any influence over him or his artistic views.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Skeever

« Reply #626 on: February 01, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Don't bother with magazines like Prog anyway. "Reviews" from enthusiast press sites like that are always so predictable anyway.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: February 01, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »
Music reviews in general has kinda worn off on me, because few have anything interesting to say. On one side you have people who are clearly blinded by fanboyism and always gives fantastic reviews for their favorite bands and never mention negative things, and on the other side you have people that are biased in a negative way and write something off before they have heard it.

Most of the pre-album release reviews are incredibly predictable, and are often just there to please the artist. "Thanks for letting us hear the album in advance, here's your good review". There's just too many reviews that talk about quality (which is just subjective in itself) rather than going into detail why they like or dislike something. I think that's why I love, and watch almost all reviews that The Needle Drop puts up on his Youtube. I don't really care if I agree or disagree with him when it comes to the rating on an album, but he is great at putting things in words that a lot of reviewers just can't. It's more interesting to learn why a reviewer liked or disliked something, than just hearing how good or bad something is.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #628 on: February 01, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »
I tend to agree with you Zantera. I know it's been way too long since I've done a review, but I have always tried to point out interesting things and describe the music, along with simply stating what I liked and didn't like, to try and give people a sense of the album. That said I rarely ever read reviews, mainly because when an album is announced I either know I will buy it, or won't. It's only the occasional ones I'm unsure of that I'll look at reviews for.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #629 on: February 01, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
Any pre-release review is useless, yeah. It's just a circle-jerk between the magazine and the artist.
And even the ones written within a month of release are kinda useless, since it's often uber-fans with no perspective. After a month you start seeing honest reviews.