Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370371 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3640 on: December 12, 2018, 12:55:43 AM »
I am not too fond of the studio version of Detonation, but it rocked live.

It does, doesn't it? I thought the live presentation was fabulous (dancing figures) although I've always loved the instrumental part of the song, especially when played loud. Very loud. (Which might explain why I've developed tinnitus in my left ear over the last year, alas.)

All of the musicians were good, but the bass player was on fire and was really enjoying himself.

That'll be Sir Nicholas Beggs. Fascinating chap and career, look him up.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3641 on: December 12, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »
All of the musicians were good, but the bass player was on fire and was really enjoying himself.

Agreed, there were moments when I felt like he was playing just for me and showing off  :lol  Really enjoyed his playing and I am not familiar with him at all.  And he gave me a fist bump  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3642 on: December 12, 2018, 09:16:10 AM »
His first band professionally was Kajagoogoo.  An 80's pop band and the big single was Too Shy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3643 on: December 12, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »

Agreed, there were moments when I felt like he was playing just for me and showing off  :lol  Really enjoyed his playing and I am not familiar with him at all.  And he gave me a fist bump  :metal

When Steven introduced the band during the encore, he stated now the only girl in our band(Sir Nicholas Beggs) and Sir Nicholas replied it takes a woman to keep you all in line.

After seeing the long set by Steven Wilson with no opening act, I hope someday to see Haken do a show with no opening bands.  When I saw them a couple of weeks ago the set just flew by with me wanting more.  With Steven Wilson, I needed or wanted no more after the long set list because my legs were jelly and hurting. :lol
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3644 on: December 13, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Going to the concert now. Does Steven come on exactly at 8?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3645 on: December 13, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »
Going to the concert now. Does Steven come on exactly at 8?

Not for the Florida dates. John Wesley will be opening for those shows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3646 on: December 13, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
In other words, don't show up until like 8:45. :lol :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3647 on: December 13, 2018, 07:12:45 PM »
In other words, don't show up until like 8:45. :lol :lol

Would kill to see JW open up in Texas.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3648 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »
John pkayed about 30 minutes. Steven Wilson started at 845. He said the show will go on til midnight.
20 minutes break right now
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #3649 on: December 14, 2018, 06:38:27 AM »
Concert was amazing! After the show met Adam, John and Alex who were hanging out at the merchandise desk.
I think it was the same setlist as Atlanta with the exception of blackfield we got even less instead.

Nick was on fire as was Craig.

Loved the bit where Steven said at the show in Japan the audience was clapping out of time and they've been trying to mess with Craig ever since by going up to him during some sections and clapping in the wrong time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3650 on: December 14, 2018, 06:54:02 AM »
 :lol nice

Online faizoff

« Reply #3651 on: December 14, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
Setlist for those who want to know

Set 1:
1.   Nowhere Now
2.   Pariah
3.   Home Invasion
4.   Regret #9
5.   The Creator Has a Mastertape (Porcupine Tree song)
6.   Refuge
7.   The Same Asylum as Before
8.   Ancestral

Set 2:
9.   Arriving Somewhere but Not Here (Porcupine Tree song)
10.   Permanating
11.   Song of I
12.   Lazarus (Porcupine Tree song)
13.   Detonation
14.   Heartattack in a Layby (Porcupine Tree song)
15.   Vermillioncore
16.   Sleep Together (Porcupine Tree song)

Encore:
17.   Even Less (SW electric guitar with amp on stage playing solo) (Porcupine Tree song)
18.   Sign “☮” the Times (Prince cover)
19.   The Sound of Muzak (Porcupine Tree song)
20.   The Raven That Refused to Sing

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3652 on: December 14, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »
i really hope he keeps Raven as his set closer. Seen it on HCE and TTB tour now, and it's just a perfect ending to an evening of his music. (until he writes something even better of course if possible)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3653 on: December 14, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
I really liked the show I caught and can't complain, but man I would've freaked out to hear Even Less, Arriving Somewhere... and Heartattack In a Layby.

Maybe next time
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #3654 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
I really liked the show I caught and can't complain, but man I would've freaked out to hear Even Less, Arriving Somewhere... and Heartattack In a Layby.

Maybe next time
+ 1 on Heartattack In a Layby... love that song and would love to see it performed live. Really wish he was stopping by the West coast on this leg.

Oh, well... at least I finally get to see Gavin Harrison live as I just bought my tickets to King Crimson at The Greek Theater here in L.A.  ;D. Last time I saw them there was on the Beat tour...

Edit: damn, forgot it was part of the extras on the new BD.

Edit 2: I would also LOVE to see him do Mellotron Scratch Live... The whole song but especially the last couple minutes from 5:05  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:42:17 PM by Rob801 »

Online faizoff

« Reply #3655 on: December 14, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Heartattack in a layby was a surprise for me. I too forgot about it being an extra on the concert Blu-ray. All the songs were awesome to witness.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3656 on: December 14, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »

Oh, well... at least I finally get to see Gavin Harrison live as I just bought my tickets to King Crimson at The Greek Theater here in L.A.  ;D.

You'll be in for a treat. Fripp smiles during one of the last encore songs when Gavin does a solo. When Fripp smiles, you listen and watch.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #3657 on: December 15, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Will keep an eye out for it. Can’t wait, but damn sept is a long way off yet.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3658 on: December 19, 2018, 07:45:01 AM »
Finally watched the entire Home Invasion bluray. The sound and video is breathtakingly amazing. I heard the concert on my Sennheiser HD 6xx and what a joy to listen in stereo. I so wish the other nights were recorded esp night 2 at the Albert Hall. This is probably my favorite concert video of Steven Wilsons'.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3659 on: December 19, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
It's probably the best sounding and best looking concert blu-ray I own, and I have quite a collection now.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3660 on: December 20, 2018, 12:43:50 AM »
I was lucky enough to be at all three of those shows. For me, the third night was the least best partially because Steven didn't speak anywhere near as much as the other two nights although I get why, and also because the venue was simply too well lit so some of the atmosphere was lost. That was presumably for filming purposes. Obviously you can't tell how comparatively bright it was on the blu-ray because it's been processed back to how it appeared on the first two nights. Score was the same.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #3661 on: December 20, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
What I would give to have been at all those three shows.

I too noticed how little Steven spoke on the bluray show. I just assumed it was to save time, no complaints though. At the actual concert that I saw a few days ago, he was his talkative self.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: December 20, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »
Yea I just assumed they cut out most of the banter even though he did say at one point he wasn't going to go on

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3663 on: December 22, 2018, 07:59:13 AM »
Saw SW last night in San Antonio for the last show of the US tour. Steven was sick and stuggled a lot in the high notes/falsetto sections. He seemed to be frustrated at this and said “fuck, I can’t sing this” cutting the lines he was singing. Sometimes the crowd picked up the slack, sometime we didn’t. We got to hear Permanating which was about 1/2 instrumental since Steven couldn’t sing it. Highlight of the night for me was Arriving Somewhere...God i miss that metal sound that SW has with his PRS guitar. Overal, much better experience than the Phoenix gig earlier this year. Craig is a monster on drums and Alex was great. It was a fun show.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3664 on: December 22, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »
Really sucks about him being sick, I wonder if Nick or Alex could've filled in at parts. Like how John would essentially sing lead verses on many songs during PT's tours.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3665 on: December 22, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Always sucks when someone in the band is sick. It's tough because at my desk job I can completely do it while sick but performing is completely different, especially singing. I was with my gf when we saw barenaked ladies and the lead singer was incredibly sick. He looked like he was going to pass out at any moment, obviously the show wasn't that great (especially compared to previous times we've seen them) but it was admirable to see him get through a 2 hour set.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3666 on: December 22, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »
I believe JP was sick with a cold when performing Score (I think you can see him sniff a few times).  I know there were touch-ups on the DVD but I remember people who attended the show saying he still played like a champ. Oddly enough my first DT concert was in London on the ToT tour and he was sick then as well.

If Steven was sick during the recording of the Albert Hall show, now that would really have sucked. I wonder what they would've done in that case.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3667 on: December 22, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »
Maybe studio magic or rescheduled the shows.  But agreed that it sucks for these guys to get sick, cool he did his best and didn't cancel the show, but also good for him the tour is over so he can recover. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: December 23, 2018, 01:05:47 AM »
I believe JP was sick with a cold when performing Score (I think you can see him sniff a few times).  I know there were touch-ups on the DVD but I remember people who attended the show saying he still played like a champ. Oddly enough my first DT concert was in London on the ToT tour and he was sick then as well.

Yeah, JP was right rough that night and looked it, too, from about four rows back. Never would have known it from the way he played, though.

Your first DT concert: was that the 17th January 2004? That was my first DT concert, too, and my birthday! :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online faizoff

« Reply #3669 on: December 23, 2018, 05:12:59 AM »

Yeah, JP was right rough that night and looked it, too, from about four rows back. Never would have known it from the way he played, though.

Your first DT concert: was that the 17th January 2004? That was my first DT concert, too, and my birthday! :biggrin:

Yeah unforgettable night. First time dt were doing the evening with tours and watching the 3 hour set was something else .I'm super glad they released a video of the tour as well .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3670 on: December 23, 2018, 05:14:53 AM »
Finally watched the blu ray; as much as I miss PT and all, I have to say he raised the bar again! Fantastic sound, vision and setlist. Love Arriving Somewhere on it, one of his best songs ever afaic. This concert film is also miles ahead of Get All You Deserve as it doesn’t suffer from Marco Minneman’s tinny snaredrum. It’s just fantastic except for Permanating. It’s a funny song for him but I have to say, even live it falls a bit flat.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3671 on: January 01, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
Last year, I ran a Steven Wilson tournament over at Polls & Survivors, which went pretty well. Nothing's set in stone yet, but recently the thought has entered my mind about potentially doing it again for the new year. Unlike a survivor, a lot of this tournament as far as which songs go up against each other relies on the luck of the draw, which means we won't have exactly the same tournament as last year. It's just a thought, but all of a sudden I'm rather excited by the prospect of doing this again.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3672 on: January 02, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »
Hey all

just got an e-mail from Rocket 88 books, announcing that they are having a sale, selling many of their books at half price, including Rich Wilson's biography on Porcupine Tree. So if you've been sitting on the fence on whether to pick it up, now would be a good time to do so!

https://rocket88books.com/collections/porcupine-tree?utm_source=Rocket+88&utm_campaign=238ffe7efb-New_Year_sale_1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3673dcadbc-238ffe7efb-380242493&goal=0_3673dcadbc-238ffe7efb-380242493&mc_cid=238ffe7efb&mc_eid=f77dbcb771
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3673 on: January 02, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
I'd love to buy it but with 58 GBP for shipping I think I'll pass  :'(

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3674 on: January 02, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
Still waiting on the ebook. I know they said there will be none, but then Steven Wilson once said that his music wouldn't be on spotify.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D