Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369422 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3570 on: September 28, 2018, 04:53:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwtaqozGwIY

Great new interview with SW.
His best interview, in my humble opinion.

Wonderful interview.... thanks for the link

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3571 on: September 28, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwtaqozGwIY

Great new interview with SW.
His best interview, in my humble opinion.

Wonderful interview.... thanks for the link

It's nice to see an interview where the questions are as thoughtful as the responses.  Really good interview.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3572 on: September 28, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »
Excellent interview indeed! About the mandatory Porcupine Tree question, one thing that caught my atention was that SW admited explicity that, if PT had continued, they would recorded the same records from its solo career. I always felt strongly this way, specially about the last 2 SW's albums. And about this question, I think it's time to reformulate it to this one :"Would you play with Gavin Harrison again?". Personally it's what I miss most of the band. With no disrespect to Craig Bludell or any other drummer, but SW music + GH drumming is the perfect match IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kocak

« Reply #3573 on: September 28, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
Excellent interview indeed! About the mandatory Porcupine Tree question, one thing that caught my atention was that SW admited explicity that, if PT had continued, they would recorded the same records from its solo career. I always felt strongly this way, specially about the last 2 SW's albums. And about this question, I think it's time to reformulate it to this one :"Would you play with Gavin Harrison again?". Personally it's what I miss most of the band. With no disrespect to Craig Bludell or any other drummer, but SW music + GH drumming is the perfect match IMO.

I personally belive that despite PT music being great, they did the right thing by calling it quits. Many bands nowadays are making money on the back of their 2 decades old success without giving the bands a new story to get excited about. I also think that it takes a lot of courage to admit that their last output had been sub-optimal.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3574 on: September 28, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
Great interview!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3575 on: September 28, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »

I miss Gavin working with Steven a lot too but I definitely think that SW would play with Gavin again. I think Gavin even recorded the drum tracks for a few songs on To The Bone. I think SW didn’t use those tracks though (I could be wrong)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3576 on: September 28, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
Gavin is great and all, but Richard Barbieri is the real MVP for Porcupine Tree, aside from Steven of course. The amazing atmospheres he creates with his soundscapes are what I miss from Porcupine Tree the most in Steven's solo work.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3577 on: September 28, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
Of the former members I most want to see SW work with again, Gavin is a distant 3rd on my list, with Edwin and Barbieri duking it out for first place.

I will check out that interview later tonight.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #3578 on: September 28, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
I don't think he has any intention of working with them.
In fact, I would not be surprised if his next album is with a completely different set of musicians.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3579 on: September 28, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »

I miss Gavin working with Steven a lot too but I definitely think that SW would play with Gavin again. I think Gavin even recorded the drum tracks for a few songs on To The Bone. I think SW didn’t use those tracks though (I could be wrong)

Yup, he definitely mentioned that in an interview a little while ago. That Gavin had recorded drum tracks for at least one To The Bone track but SW ended up not using his takes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3580 on: September 28, 2018, 06:17:39 PM »
I think Richard opened some shows for him on his last tour so it appears as if they’re on positive terms. I assumed they had a falling out of some sort near the end of PT. I’d love him to work with Steven again as he was easily my favorite part of PT. That makes Colin the only member that SW has not had any professional dealings with since PT. I wonder if he’s the one on bad terms with SW.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3581 on: September 28, 2018, 08:37:13 PM »
Gavin is great and all, but Richard Barbieri is the real MVP for Porcupine Tree, aside from Steven of course. The amazing atmospheres he creates with his soundscapes are what I miss from Porcupine Tree the most in Steven's solo work.

That reminds me that I should check out Richards solo work sometime

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: September 28, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »
I think Richard opened some shows for him on his last tour so it appears as if they’re on positive terms. I assumed they had a falling out of some sort near the end of PT. I’d love him to work with Steven again as he was easily my favorite part of PT. That makes Colin the only member that SW has not had any professional dealings with since PT. I wonder if he’s the one on bad terms with SW.

They shared a very warm public embrace at one of the Albert Hall shows (can't recall if it was the second or third. Think it must have been the third because of where I was sat).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3583 on: November 02, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
Got my Blu-ray copy today from England shipped by burning shed.

Will have to check it out tonight.
Blu-ray.com's review highly recommends it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3584 on: November 03, 2018, 02:01:01 AM »
Burning Shed and Eagle absolutely fucked up on the distribution. About half the orders didn't get shipped until yesterday. Burning Shed knew about the issue earlier this week but couldn't be arsed to tell its customers, thereby removing the option to purchase from elsewhere on day of release. First world problem, absolutely, but deliberately shitty customer service annoys me.

Anyway, rant over.

Since I didn't have the blu-ray to salivate over yesterday, I listened to a few snippets on Spotify. OH MY LIFE! The sound of the drums! Gosh, they sound so vivid. My suggestion for everyone is to play The Creator Has a Mastertape loud. Very loud indeed! :metal
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3585 on: November 03, 2018, 04:51:03 AM »
Can't wait for everyone's thoughts about this! I have an exam on Monday, after that I will head to Vienna to get this DVD - it will be my ultimate reward  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #3586 on: November 03, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »
Burning Shed and Eagle absolutely fucked up on the distribution. About half the orders didn't get shipped until yesterday. Burning Shed knew about the issue earlier this week but couldn't be arsed to tell its customers, thereby removing the option to purchase from elsewhere on day of release. First world problem, absolutely, but deliberately shitty customer service annoys me.

Anyway, rant over.

Since I didn't have the blu-ray to salivate over yesterday, I listened to a few snippets on Spotify. OH MY LIFE! The sound of the drums! Gosh, they sound so vivid. My suggestion for everyone is to play The Creator Has a Mastertape loud. Very loud indeed! :metal

There's a local record shop I go to to pick up the latest CD/Blu-ray releases, and they only had the CD/DVD edition in. Even Amazon won't have the American release available until the 7th. Weird.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3587 on: November 03, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
I could only get to watch the first track last night and man this is hands down the his best video presentation. It looks absolutely amazing.
It sounded great as usual. I listened in stereo and didn't try the 5.1 output yet.
Regarding shipping I am honestly very surprised I got it on release day. Probably first time in my life something I pre-ordered and it came as planned.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: November 03, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
I forgot about this, seems amazon doesn't have the blu-ray?  That's what I want so maybe I'll just wait a little bit to get it

Offline Rob801

« Reply #3589 on: November 03, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
I forgot about this, seems amazon doesn't have the blu-ray?  That's what I want so maybe I'll just wait a little bit to get it
I havn’t checked lately, but I got my pre order BD/CD in the mail yesterday from Amazon US... it wasn’t completely clear in the description when I ordered (mentioned DVD and BD) but it was the BD That I received.

Absolutely awesome BD/performance. I so do wish I could have seen him on this tour.

Edit: sorry, can see it is out of stock till the 7th.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #3590 on: November 04, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
So . . . Steven has a stepdaughter, apparently?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpuHCQ7gkdu/

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3591 on: November 04, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
I. Didn’t. Know. That.

I didn’t think he was dating anybody.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3592 on: November 05, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »
I saw that two, and I was wondering about it too. Wasn't Steven always the dude who had no family so he can fully concentrate on making music?

Don't you think of making less/less good music now just because you have a girlfriend, Steven  >:(

Just kidding of course.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3593 on: November 05, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
He went to the Prog Awards with his gf: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnrxHYtn-1n/

He also mentioned in some recent interview that he's now with a lady who has kids, which is new for him.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3594 on: November 05, 2018, 07:26:23 AM »
Well, during the last years, he seemed more and more relaxed on stage. Maybe the girlfriend has something to do with it?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #3595 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
Well, during the last years, he seemed more and more relaxed on stage. Maybe the girlfriend has something to do with it?
He's also getting older.  He might be tired of his failing health.   :azn:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3596 on: November 05, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
Listening to all of Raider II on the way home from work on a chilly, drizzly evening... :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #3597 on: November 06, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
Just finished watching Home Invasion with some friends, and when this moment came up, we laughed uncontrollably. Maybe it's because we think he looks like a Jim Henson creation. Either way, good show!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: November 07, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
I havn’t checked lately, but I got my pre order BD/CD in the mail yesterday from Amazon US... it wasn’t completely clear in the description when I ordered (mentioned DVD and BD) but it was the BD That I received.

Absolutely awesome BD/performance. I so do wish I could have seen him on this tour.

Just placed my pre-order for the CD/Blu-Ray combo.  I'm really still a noob to SW.  Saw him during his last tour on a whim without knowing the music and while I enjoyed the show, I haven't come back to his music.  Once I get these CDs I will be rocking out to it as his concert approaches and I'll see him again more armed with his music knowledge.

Too bad I won't have Jackie to rock out with this time around

Also, reason I just did it is because I've got Nick's radio show streaming and they are playing Arriving Somewhere But Not Here from the live album and it sounds fantastic.  Reminded me I should just place the order before I forget.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3599 on: November 07, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

Just placed my pre-order for the CD/Blu-Ray combo.  I'm really still a noob to SW.  Saw him during his last tour on a whim without knowing the music and while I enjoyed the show, I haven't come back to his music.  Once I get these CDs I will be rocking out to it as his concert approaches and I'll see him again more armed with his music knowledge.

Too bad I won't have Jackie to rock out with this time around

Also, reason I just did it is because I've got Nick's radio show streaming and they are playing Arriving Somewhere But Not Here from the live album and it sounds fantastic.  Reminded me I should just place the order before I forget.

Well, here's my hero of the day. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3600 on: November 08, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »
next album likely in 2020

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/steven-wilson-on-the-home-invasion-concert-film-and-touring-to-the-bone/

SDE: Does that mean we shouldn’t expect anything new next year, but more likely the year after?

I think that’s quite likely, yeah. I’m looking at Spring 2020 for the new record

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3601 on: November 08, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Bummer to have to wait that long, but he will deliver as always, so it will be worth the wait.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #3602 on: November 09, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
I feel like we'll get an EP sometime in 2019, though. He's usually pretty good about that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: November 19, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »
The Home Invasion blu ray is beautiful.  I haven't watched the entire show, but I've had a couple sessions watching a few songs here and there.  The quality is superb, both picture and such crisp audio.  The CDs sound fantastic in my car too (well, ripped them to my phone since my new car doesnt even have a CD player anymore).  The shots from above the hall looking down are just so awesome, plus the front of the band screen with the projection came off really well on video too.  Looks amazing. 

Having said that, I think this confirms what I thought I might have felt before with my intro to Steven Wilson.  I like his music, but not all of it.  There's some stuff he does that just doesn't interest me.  Then there's some stuff he does that is just amazing.  I guess that's just because it's a solo prog artist, they have the freedom to go beyond any certain sound and sometimes its a hit and sometimes its a miss, for me.  That goes for someone who I love like Devin Townsend as well where their music is just more than any single style.

I'll be seeing him in less than two weeks, should be a fun show.  I'm expecting to go into this concert much more armed with his music knowledge though than the first time.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3604 on: November 22, 2018, 03:59:33 AM »
If I remember correctly, a few weeks ago there was some discussion here regarding Steven Wilson's pronunciation. I've always thought he sometimes pronunces 'N's as 'L's but I didn't have any example in mind at the moment so I didn't post anything. I've been on a bit of a SW binge lately and I've got three examples now, from three different projects to boot. Please keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker plus my hearing is so-so - it could very well be that I'm just wrong.

Porcupine Tree > Stupid Dream > Even Less

And I may / just waste away / from doing Lothing

Steven Wilson > The Raven that Refused to Sing > The Raven that Refused to Sing

But I Leed you Low / I Leed our former life  (being generous it could be that he says "I'll need" instead of "I need")

I had a Blackfield example too but I can't find it now, will post it later if I remember.