Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371028 times)

Online gazinwales

Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #2975 on: August 30, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
I can confirm that there is NO download code with the Blu-Ray audio disc release.
You will need to 'seek' the audio files from another 'source'  ;D

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2976 on: August 30, 2017, 10:54:09 PM »
Maybe this was shared before, but there is a video game coming out tomorrow for Windows and PS4 called Last Day of June
Last Day of June is an interactive tale about love and loss that takes players on a profound and poignant journey. Join Carl and June on what begins as a magical outing to their favorite spot, and try to unlock the sequence of events that could save the day -- and June's life -- in this cinematic experience that compels players to ask themselves "What would you do to save the one you love?"

A true artistic innovation in visualizing a bittersweet story, Last Day of June is experienced through a welcoming, painterly world that showcases the beauty of life and love, but also the contradictions of loss. Relive this fateful day by traveling back in time through her paintings in an attempt to change the results of the fateful and final drive home by solving emotionally challenging puzzles.

SW let them use the characters from the Drive Home video and create a story. He does the soundtrack as well, but it may just be instrumentals of existing tracks. Still pretty cool

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/30/16228320/last-day-of-june-review
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:59:45 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: August 30, 2017, 11:48:08 PM »
I read that review last night and was frankly surprised the author didn't once mention the music and its relevance to the game.

Looking forward to picking it up (as a gamer, rather than as a Steven Wilson fan (which I am!)).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2978 on: August 31, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »
Maybe this was shared before, but there is a video game coming out tomorrow for Windows and PS4 called Last Day of June
Last Day of June is an interactive tale about love and loss that takes players on a profound and poignant journey. Join Carl and June on what begins as a magical outing to their favorite spot, and try to unlock the sequence of events that could save the day -- and June's life -- in this cinematic experience that compels players to ask themselves "What would you do to save the one you love?"

A true artistic innovation in visualizing a bittersweet story, Last Day of June is experienced through a welcoming, painterly world that showcases the beauty of life and love, but also the contradictions of loss. Relive this fateful day by traveling back in time through her paintings in an attempt to change the results of the fateful and final drive home by solving emotionally challenging puzzles.

SW let them use the characters from the Drive Home video and create a story. He does the soundtrack as well, but it may just be instrumentals of existing tracks. Still pretty cool

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/30/16228320/last-day-of-june-review

I totally missed this, but here's an interview with Steven Wilson himself in regards to this title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smOfrUStEE

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2979 on: September 01, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
No. 20 in the UK album chart for To the Bone's 2nd week, which is far less of a drop from last week's heights than I thought it would experience.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2980 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
I'm very pleased that Steven is on Spotify... because I finally got to listen to To The Bone yesterday and loved it. Ordering it this evening. Very good stuff. Permanating is even better in the context of the album proper. Lovely music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: September 01, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
The next move is to put all of PT's catalog on Spotify.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2982 on: September 01, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
It mostly is tho, just missing on Fear of a Blank Planet and a couple little things more.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2983 on: September 01, 2017, 11:26:26 PM »
After digesting this album and it's related B-Sides, I've come up with, yet again, another personal playlist that puts together all of these tracks. As usual, they're set-up as vinyl sides, each about 19-20 minutes long with minor edited here and there, mostly to crossfade "Antisocial" and "People Who Eat Darkness" (as the former was intended as the intro to the latter).
Side 1 - 20:48
01 To The Bone         6:42
02 Nowhere Now         4:04
03 Pariah         4:47
04 The Same Asylum As Before   5:15

Side 2 - 20:10
05 Refuge         6:45
06 Permanating         3:35
07 A Door Marked Summer      7:41
08 Blank Tapes         2:09

Side 3 - 20:06
09 Ask Me Nicely (Intro)   1:43
10 Antisocial         3:09
11 People Who Eat Darkness   6:01
12 Song Of I         5:22
13 Northern Cyclonic (Inst.)   3:51

Side 4 - 19:10
14 Ask Me Nicely      3:54
15 Detonation         9:20
16 Song Of Unborn      5:56

As the album by itself, it's really grown on me, but I really enjoy the songs that were cut as well, especially "A Door Marked Summer" and "Antisocial", but I can understand why SW would want to cut some of that stuff, especially the intro pieces and instrumentals, going for a more concise album with "just the songs", but you guys know me - I love having a complete playlist of an album's (released) songs, because I read that SW even wrote a song called "How Big The Space?" that wasn't recorded for this album, but was written at the time. He's also said he wrote songs at the start of the sessions but those few were cut for sounding too much like HCE material, as he says happens when beginning a new album (that the first few tunes are reminiscent of the previous album).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2984 on: September 02, 2017, 03:51:24 AM »
Marc that's pretty cool what you have done and I will throw that together on to a CDR if it will fit.

Did you do something similar with FOABP and the NR EP?
I'm sure I read somewhere that someone combined the two with a really seamless running order.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2985 on: September 02, 2017, 04:55:23 AM »
I've had a chance to listen to this repeatedly now... And I love it! I now find myself skipping no songs and just playing it on repeat, as I usually end up doing ever since I discovered SW/PT just a few short years ago (on the Raven album.. ok maybe more than a few years now).

BTW, I'm one who really likes Stupid Dream. There's just so many thing I relate to in general in his music (Piano Lessons really takes me back to my youth)...

Really wish I had pulled the plug on the box set. I hesitated then it was sold out before I knew it  :sad:.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2986 on: September 02, 2017, 05:36:07 AM »
I remember SW once saying that his definition of progressive music is that the music takes you on a journey.  With that definition, he is probably the most prog artist currently in business. Every album of his tries to take you into an entirely different spot.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2987 on: September 02, 2017, 09:04:02 AM »
Marc that's pretty cool what you have done and I will throw that together on to a CDR if it will fit.

Did you do something similar with FOABP and the NR EP?
I'm sure I read somewhere that someone combined the two with a really seamless running order.

I've used the Vinyl running order for yesrs, which puts CTP after My Ashes, and the rest after ST - NR, Normal, and WHN, tho I recently discovered the track "Always Recurring" and have used it as an intro to "What Happens Now?" as it ends with the same sounds that open WHN.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: September 02, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
"Antisocial" and "People Who Eat Darkness" (as the former was intended as the intro to the latter).

Where was that info? In the box?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2989 on: September 02, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
The documentary is awesome, watch it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: September 02, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »
It mostly is tho, just missing on Fear of a Blank Planet and a couple little things more.

Holy shit you're right! Last I checked (a long time ago) it had only a couple of albums.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2991 on: September 02, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »

The doco is great, but the state of the 'studio' is something else, I cannot find the words to describe it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2992 on: September 02, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »

The doco is great, but the state of the 'studio' is something else, I cannot find the words to describe it.

It's quite bizarre indeed. The guy obviously doesn't give a shit as to how it all looks. Remember that segment where he said he didn't now where a lot of his pedals went?  :lol
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2993 on: September 02, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »
What documentary?

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2994 on: September 02, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »
The doco that is on the blu-ray audio release of TTB.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2995 on: September 02, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »
Ah ok. I wish I could see it, but I only have the standard CD.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2996 on: September 02, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

Holy shit you're right! Last I checked (a long time ago) it had only a couple of albums.

Same... very pleasant surprise!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2997 on: September 02, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
"Antisocial" and "People Who Eat Darkness" (as the former was intended as the intro to the latter).

Where was that info? In the box?

Yes. The instrumental also features a lot of similar riffs and motifs used in PWED, so it's a natural fit as it's intro.

-Marc.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2998 on: September 03, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
I didn't get the deluxe edition, so I haven't heard Antisocial, I should check the usual places for it.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2999 on: September 03, 2017, 04:56:05 AM »

Yep. I'm pretty sure Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and In Absentia weren't there week ago.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3000 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:40 AM »

Yep. I'm pretty sure Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and In Absentia weren't there week ago.

All the Kscope+Warner albums were sorta popping on and off all year. Now they're all back (save FOABP for some reason) because Kscope now has the rights for all of them – note that it says Kscope 2017 for the copyright. There's a lot of hope now for DW and IA vinyl reissues and remasters, with even Burning Shed being coy about it on Twitter.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3001 on: September 03, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »
Fear of a Blank Planet isn't even on iTunes. I was gonna by it since I lost my copy  :(
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3002 on: September 04, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
This album is awesomely chill. Its a good combination of his previous 3 albums. I'm really enjoying it a lot.

Song of I is calm and soothing and just mesmerising. Wish I could see it live one day. I don't think there's a song I dont like. Glad I bought the deluxe box.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3003 on: September 05, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
This album is coming round nicely, I feel like I get into it a lot easier than his last records. I just hope that doesn't mean I grow tired of it too fast.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: September 06, 2017, 05:40:33 AM »
I've decided to check out his other solo stuff. I've heard To The Bone and HCE - right now I'm focusing on The Raven. I really like the tracks Drive Home and The Holy Drinker.

How would you rank his solo albums? Which is your favourite?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3005 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:28 AM »
Hand. cannot. erase.
The Raven
Grace
To the bone
Insurgentes

Grace and To the bone might switch places, To the bone is growing on me quite a bit.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3006 on: September 06, 2017, 06:42:06 AM »
Grace
Insurgentes
Raven
To the Bone
Hand Cannot Erase

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3007 on: September 06, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »
Raven
Insurgentes
To The Bone (ranking may change over time)
Hand
Grace
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3008 on: September 06, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »
Raven
To the Bone
H.C.E
Grace
Insurgentes

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #3009 on: September 06, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
H.C.E
To The Bone
Raven
Insurgentes
Grace

(tho Raven still has my favourite SW song)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!