Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371248 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #2905 on: August 21, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »
It's all good.  :coolio :hat

BTW, have you guys heard A Door Marked Summer, a bonus track from To the Bone?  It's on YT.  Another fantastic tune.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2906 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:27 PM »
Thanks I didn't know that. Just listened to it and I'm blown away, absolutely beautiful. Updated Drown With Me kind of songwriting, love it. Dig the psychedelic pop influence.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2907 on: August 22, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »
Steven playing 4 songs off the new album live :tup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVOez5ZXB4

BTW I absolutely adore this album. After the first listen I wasn't really into it, probably wasn't in right mood but I'm SW fanboy so I'm not surprised I liked it after all :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2908 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
came here to post this, this is pretty great  :angel:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #2909 on: August 22, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »

BTW I absolutely adore this album. After the first listen I wasn't really into it, probably wasn't in right mood but I'm SW fanboy so I'm not surprised I liked it after all :P

PWED is amazing live.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2910 on: August 22, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
It's funny, looking back now, how people were moaning about the line "I'm tired of Facebook" from Pariah, which was the first snippet from this album that we heard. Now we know the full context of that line, and how it's a fictional character, the negative side to Ninet's positivity and encouragement, it just proves that people shouldn't jump to conclusions about these things.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2911 on: August 22, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
Has someone done a mashup of Prodigal and Same Asylum yet, they are way too similar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2912 on: August 22, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
It's funny, looking back now, how people were moaning about the line "I'm tired of Facebook" from Pariah, which was the first snippet from this album that we heard. Now we know the full context of that line, and how it's a fictional character, the negative side to Ninet's positivity and encouragement, it just proves that people shouldn't jump to conclusions about these things.
It's still a cringe line imo :P

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2913 on: August 22, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
Has someone done a mashup of Prodigal and Same Asylum yet, they are way too similar

No, they're not. That one little bit is, but apart from that, they're completely and utterly different songs. Now, all of you, stop going on about it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2914 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »

No, they're not. That one little bit is, but apart from that, they're completely and utterly different songs. Now, all of you, stop going on about it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2915 on: August 22, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »
I have posted this somewhere else before:  I think Pariah is a Peter Gabriel homage.. Don't give up you still have us? Pariah, you'll begin again, take comfort from me? A sad, verse-singing dude and a hopeful, chorus-singing woman? Trademark Don't Give Up.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2916 on: August 22, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »
Thanks I didn't know that. Just listened to it and I'm blown away, absolutely beautiful. Updated Drown With Me kind of songwriting, love it. Dig the psychedelic pop influence.

:tup :tup

PWED is amazing live.

That song has quickly risen on my list of favorites from this record.  Killer tune.  :metal

This. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #2917 on: August 22, 2017, 07:04:08 PM »
Steven posted on Facebook something I am uncomfortable with. He said 25 years ago, he released his first solo album under the name Porcupine Tree.

So he views Porcupine Tree as a solo act?

No. 

On the Sunday of Life was not a band effort; it was Steven Wilson releasing a solo record under the name Porcupine Tree, which later became a real, full-time band.
I'm quite sure even the followup Up the downstairs was pretty much a solo effort save a couple of guest appearances of Colin and Richard. Signify I believe was the first full on band album with contributions and all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2918 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
What Kev said. UTD could probably pass as a solo effort with some features but yeah...OTSOL is full on wacky Wilson mode with Duffy lyrics (except I think just Radioactive Toy).

Awesome to think of and I'm glad he still cherishes that part of his career. I am probably still the only huge fan of OTSOL here. Love that shit. Quite some time ago...wowee. *cue obligatory Time Flies pun*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2919 on: August 23, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »
I have posted this somewhere else before:  I think Pariah is a Peter Gabriel homage.. Don't give up you still have us? Pariah, you'll begin again, take comfort from me? A sad, verse-singing dude and a hopeful, chorus-singing woman? Trademark Don't Give Up.

Yeah I thought about Don't Give Up after I heard Pariah too.

Pariah is by the way my favourite track off this album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2920 on: August 23, 2017, 12:53:07 AM »
Steven posted on Facebook something I am uncomfortable with. He said 25 years ago, he released his first solo album under the name Porcupine Tree.

So he views Porcupine Tree as a solo act?

No. 

On the Sunday of Life was not a band effort; it was Steven Wilson releasing a solo record under the name Porcupine Tree, which later became a real, full-time band.
I'm quite sure even the followup Up the downstairs was pretty much a solo effort save a couple of guest appearances of Colin and Richard. Signify I believe was the first full on band album with contributions and all.

What happened to The Sky Moves Sideways? That one is the first full band effort.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2921 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Awesome to think of and I'm glad he still cherishes that part of his career. I am probably still the only huge fan of OTSOL here. Love that shit. Quite some time ago...wowee. *cue obligatory Time Flies pun*

I love OTSOL too. For me, it's a 90s equivalent of The Beatles' White Album in terms of its diversity of songs and styles.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2922 on: August 23, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
Wilson has used the falsetto when singing for as long as I can remember, yet all of sudden some have an issue with it.  Seems like an odd thing to get shuked over.
I don't mind his falsetto in general, it's just that those particular verses in Asylum would sound a lot better and more natural sung an octave lower IMO.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2923 on: August 23, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »
I am just about finished with my first listen and wanted to offer my own perspective.

First, some background -- I'm a Porcupine Tree fan...mostly starting with Stupid Dream. I don't really care for most of what came before it. But I found the band with In Absentia. I've been sorta meh on his solo albums. I dig some of all of them, but I think I'd be accurate in saying that I'm not a "fan" of his solo work like I am a fan of Porcupine Tree from Stupid Dream through The Incident.

I've been fortunate over the years to get advances of his records and always listen to them intently. They've been hit and miss for me, but I have to say, I really like what he's done here on To the Bone. It's still very much prog, and does have some classic PT-sounding moments (the last track in particular). But he's infused it with this 80s pop sound that while not usually my cup of tea, I am finding really entertaining. PROG magazine referenced Peter Gabriel's SO era, and that's about right. But its definitively Steven Wilson.

Even after one listen, I find it much better than Hand. Cannot. Erase. Although that record received a lot of acclaim, I didn't get into it much. I did enjoy Raven Refused to Sing, but it has been a while since I listened to it, so I'd hate to do a comparison without giving it another spin first.

But simply put, if you like Steven Wilson, and don't mind a little 80s pop mixed in (it doesn't distract at all, it sorta just "works") it'll be a real enjoyable listen. Again, I'm not the biggest SW solo fan. I much prefer Porcupine Tree. But I was pleasantly surprised with To The Bone. Worthy of checking out for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2924 on: August 23, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »

What happened to The Sky Moves Sideways? That one is the first full band effort.

Sort of.  Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder, I believe, were originally just Steven Wilson on those tracks playing everything, while the other tracks were full band efforts.

Wilson has used the falsetto when singing for as long as I can remember, yet all of sudden some have an issue with it.  Seems like an odd thing to get shuked over.
I don't mind his falsetto in general, it's just that those particular verses in Asylum would sound a lot better and more natural sung an octave lower IMO.

Fair enough.  :coolio

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2925 on: August 23, 2017, 11:44:21 PM »
But simply put, if you like Steven Wilson, and don't mind a little 80s pop mixed in (it doesn't distract at all, it sorta just "works") it'll be a real enjoyable listen. Again, I'm not the biggest SW solo fan. I much prefer Porcupine Tree. But I was pleasantly surprised with To The Bone. Worthy of checking out for sure.

This could be said by me after the first real listening.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline home

« Reply #2926 on: August 24, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
This outtake from To The Bone (A Door Marked Summer) is pretty rad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IIx6g_2DsE

It's pretty Porcupine Tree-ish, hence why it's probably not on the album. The last two minutes especially are really beautiful. :angel:

Edit: this was already mentioned before, oops
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:40:37 PM by home »

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2927 on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
His performance at HMV in London is on his YouTube channel. I love how relaxed he seems on stage nowadays, chatting away with the crowd and all. He seems really happy with where he is atm, and he deserves every success that comes to him.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: August 24, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »
Really wish A Door Marked Summer was on the record, it would've been one of, if not the best song on the album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2929 on: August 24, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Why doesn't SW wear shoes?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2930 on: August 24, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Really wish A Door Marked Summer was on the record, it would've been one of, if not the best song on the album.

I can't go that far, but it is a highly enjoyable tune.

His performance at HMV in London is on his YouTube channel. I love how relaxed he seems on stage nowadays, chatting away with the crowd and all. He seems really happy with where he is atm, and he deserves every success that comes to him.

:tup :tup

This outtake from To The Bone (A Door Marked Summer) is pretty rad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IIx6g_2DsE

It's pretty Porcupine Tree-ish, hence why it's probably not on the album. The last two minutes especially are really beautiful. :angel:

Edit: this was already mentioned before, oops

My guess is that it didn't make the album because it didn't fit with the flow of the album.  Wilson has left songs off albums before that he thought were album-worthy, but didn't fit the flow (Drown with Me, Half Light).

Also, several of the songs on To the Bone are very PT-sounding, so I doubt that would be any factor in his decision.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: August 24, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
Why doesn't SW wear shoes?

I think he said it's easier for him to use his pedal board without shoes on.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2932 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:15 AM »
He's also barefooted in interviews.

He doesn't like shoes.  :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2933 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:55 AM »
Yeah I've noticed live he is barefooted and a few recent interview he is also shoeless.

Offline home

« Reply #2934 on: August 25, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
It's to reinforce his hipster identity of course

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:55 AM »
It's to reinforce his hipster identity of course

Where is Wilson's Beard?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2936 on: August 25, 2017, 02:47:39 AM »
Probably can't grow one to save his life, he has a bit of a baby face.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2937 on: August 25, 2017, 03:30:55 AM »
I take that back, he just appeared on BBC Breakfast TV, with stubble and wearing shoes.
He really is mainstream 'pop' now  ;D

Offline home

« Reply #2938 on: August 25, 2017, 04:27:03 AM »
Where is Wilson's Beard?

He recently started growing a beard, didn't you know?

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni