Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369507 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #2800 on: July 02, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
I haven't got the patience for that. Time's going too slowly. Still just under 7 weeks until the release, and the hype is well and truly real.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2801 on: July 02, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »
I haven't got the patience for that. Time's going too slowly. Still just under 7 weeks until the release, and the hype is well and truly real.

Actually, in case you have forgotten, time flies. ;)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2802 on: July 03, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »

Yes, sometimes I am very close to die but in the end it's totally worth it.
any rock can be made to roll

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2803 on: July 05, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Wasn't very excited about this release upon hearing the singles as they came out, but just spun them a few times on long car ride, and they're starting to grow on me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2804 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
Has anyone realised that 3 of the 4 singles end with a fade out? Probably a conscious choice because back in the 80's, like 80 percent of pop tunes ended that way. Nowadays, it's probably the other way around.

So this track 'Permanating'. I'm kind of amused by it. It'll probably be the worst track but it's good to hear him try this type of thing. But still, cool disco vibes but his vocals are just not 'good' enough to carry such a track. I have to say I'm surprised by all the backlash. I thought Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson fans were open minded, but apparently a lot of them are as close minded as a lot of pop music listeners.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2805 on: July 20, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
I don't think the fans being close minded applies to all of the negative backlash though. I feel like compared to many artists, Steven Wilson has pretty much always (since PT got popular at least) had a fan base defending his music like no other. Even the albums that got lesser reception are usually held up as the pinnacle of what musicians should strive for, and I would say he has stayed away from a lot of criticism. I don't think all of it is blind fanboyism though. I don't think the ground he walks is holy, and he definitely has albums I don't consider near the classic status they have, but I do think that even on a bad day, he usually delivers an album that is at worst, a decent album. But there's only so long you can have that luck going before you have a miss fire.

The new album could be amazing but even if the general reception turns out lukewarm, it's not that bad for an artist who puts out an album every 2-3 years and generally hits. Just for me personally, I don't mind SW changing styles, I just feel that lately (more than before) his take on different music styles haven't been nearly as interesting as the bands that did it initially. There's definitely some fans who are close minded and just want him to write prog, but I have seen a lot of people who prefer the poppier SW side (trains, lazarus, Blackfield etc) who didn't like Permanating, not because of the style, because they just didn't like it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2806 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
Has anyone realised that 3 of the 4 singles end with a fade out? Probably a conscious choice because back in the 80's, like 80 percent of pop tunes ended that way. Nowadays, it's probably the other way around.

I didn't even notice, to be honest, but then again, fade-outs do not bother me (most of the time).

So this track 'Permanating'. I'm kind of amused by it. It'll probably be the worst track but it's good to hear him try this type of thing. But still, cool disco vibes but his vocals are just not 'good' enough to carry such a track. I have to say I'm surprised by all the backlash. I thought Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson fans were open minded, but apparently a lot of them are as close minded as a lot of pop music listeners.

While I would never call SW a great singer, that song doesn't need one for it to be good; I think his vocals are fine in it.  And he seems to not use vocal effects nearly as much as he used to.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2807 on: July 20, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »
I don't think the fans being close minded applies to all of the negative backlash though. I feel like compared to many artists, Steven Wilson has pretty much always (since PT got popular at least) had a fan base defending his music like no other. Even the albums that got lesser reception are usually held up as the pinnacle of what musicians should strive for, and I would say he has stayed away from a lot of criticism. I don't think all of it is blind fanboyism though. I don't think the ground he walks is holy, and he definitely has albums I don't consider near the classic status they have, but I do think that even on a bad day, he usually delivers an album that is at worst, a decent album. But there's only so long you can have that luck going before you have a miss fire.

The new album could be amazing but even if the general reception turns out lukewarm, it's not that bad for an artist who puts out an album every 2-3 years and generally hits. Just for me personally, I don't mind SW changing styles, I just feel that lately (more than before) his take on different music styles haven't been nearly as interesting as the bands that did it initially. There's definitely some fans who are close minded and just want him to write prog, but I have seen a lot of people who prefer the poppier SW side (trains, lazarus, Blackfield etc) who didn't like Permanating, not because of the style, because they just didn't like it.
Yeah this is a very good point. Let's not forget that are are still people who are genuinely pissed he went pop and left prog, accusing him of selling out. Which is just dumb.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2808 on: July 20, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
Well, it's dumb to think he left prog (he hasn't), and I am guessing the people who think he went the pop route have probably never heard Stupid Dream.  Writing catchy songs has been a part of SW's pallet for decades.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2809 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »
I think people are stupid to want to limit him to What They want out of him musically.  That's not how he works and they should know better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2810 on: July 20, 2017, 07:10:05 PM »
And the best part is, instead of worrying about it, Wilson doesn't give two shits what any of us want, which is why he is a true artist in every sense of the word. :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: July 20, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
Which I love! 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2812 on: July 21, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
I think people are stupid to want to limit him to What They want out of him musically.  That's not how he works and they should know better.

Thats how feel about a lot of fans

And the best part is, instead of worrying about it, Wilson doesn't give two shits what any of us want, which is why he is a true artist in every sense of the word. :coolio

Yup and why I love it when they decide to screw those people by doing a 180 or something similar.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2813 on: July 21, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »

Well, it's dumb to think he left prog (he hasn't), and I am guessing the people who think he went the pop route have probably never heard Stupid Dream.  Writing catchy songs has been a part of SW's pallet for decades.

All of this. Honestly, if more pop music was like SW's brand of pop, it would be an immense improvement on a lot of what we've got atm.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2814 on: July 21, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
Video for Permanating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gryiltJo0&t=122s

I like to think he did this just to take the piss. :lol :lol

Good song and fun little video. :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2815 on: July 22, 2017, 04:50:39 AM »
I wouldn't voluntarily watch that video again. Nothing's wrong with it, it's just too odd for me.  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2816 on: July 22, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
See what he did there is what I love about musicians. But at the same time, it's not really nothing new with Wilson.

The best ending too..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2817 on: July 22, 2017, 08:19:02 AM »
I don't know how Steven Wilson got the idea of using Bollywood-like dancers for the video.  I actually like Permanating though.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2818 on: July 22, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
I don't know how Steven Wilson got the idea of using Bollywood-like dancers for the video.  I actually like Permanating though.

He said on Facebook. Don't feel like looking though, too lazy now.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2819 on: July 22, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »
I'm gonna get flak for this, but nothing that's been released has really grabbed me. I want to like it. But it's just too.. poppy. Which isn't a bad thing. I'm not trying to sound pretentious but... yea
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2820 on: July 23, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »
I'm gonna get flak for this, but nothing that's been released has really grabbed me. I want to like it. But it's just too.. poppy. Which isn't a bad thing. I'm not trying to sound pretentious but... yea

Same. Nothing against pop music, SW has made incredible pop music before. These songs just haven't grabbed me for whatever reason.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #2821 on: July 28, 2017, 12:18:09 AM »
just listened to the leak, i guess this album will be in the bottom tier for as far as his solowork goes.. :-\

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: July 28, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
just listened to the leak, i guess this album will be in the bottom tier for as far as his solowork goes.. :-\

I think it's excellent. Not as good as HCE but it's quite a different beast from it. Apples and oranges, etc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2823 on: July 28, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
Discussing leaks (even revealing that a leak is out there) for any band should be against forum rules. It certainly is for Dream Theater; why should other bands be treated differently? We get to see who the true fans are now, those who hold out until the time the artist wants us to hear it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2824 on: July 28, 2017, 12:50:50 PM »
I mean.. I don't see why we are discussing the beginning of Beneath The Surface on a Steven Wilson thread...

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2825 on: July 29, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
To the Bone is very good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2826 on: July 30, 2017, 07:05:04 AM »

That is not necessarily a bad thing, though, considering that Insurgentes is very good and the next three were all pretty great (to varying degrees).

To compare, many thought The Incident wasn't that great and among the least best Porcupine Tree albums, which I now agree with, but it is still a really good record.

Even a songwriter as gifted and consistent as Wilson isn't going to hit it out of the park every time.  Sometimes, he just hits a ground rule double. :biggrin:

Discussing leaks (even revealing that a leak is out there) for any band should be against forum rules. It certainly is for Dream Theater; why should other bands be treated differently? We get to see who the true fans are now, those who hold out until the time the artist wants us to hear it.

Oh, come on.

Note: I am waiting till the release of it to hear the rest, but I am not copping that "I am a real fan because I choose to wait" attitude.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2827 on: July 31, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
Note: I am waiting till the release of it to hear the rest, but I am not copping that "I am a real fan because I choose to wait" attitude.

Thank you. People are overreacting way too much over this.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2828 on: July 31, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »

I have not heard one note, but am waiting just so that I can hear the whole cd fresh from start to finish.  I try the same with concerts, but usually end up knowing the set list ahead of time.  I saw the Rush40 show and did not know the set list and it was great.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2829 on: July 31, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »

I have not heard one note, but am waiting just so that I can hear the whole cd fresh from start to finish.  I try the same with concerts, but usually end up knowing the set list ahead of time.  I saw the Rush40 show and did not know the set list and it was great.

You're lucky to be so patient. I wish I could do that everytime a favorite band releases a new album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2830 on: July 31, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

You're lucky to be so patient. I wish I could do that everytime a favorite band releases a new album.

I've had my moments over the years where I couldn't resist, but most of the time I am pretty good about waiting till the official release.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: July 31, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »
I'm with Kev.  I cheated a little and listened to every released song once but they are not fresh in my mind.   

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2832 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
I listened to the first tune, liked it and then decided to not listen to anything else.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2833 on: August 01, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
August is upon us! Another step closer to release day! :caffeine:

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #2834 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
Blank Tapes is one of the most lovely songs ive ever heard.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:41:57 PM by HarlequinForest »