Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369424 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #2450 on: September 28, 2016, 03:24:46 AM »
... Not to mention that if you know a band has a certain label, it often makes you not want to listen to it at all because you already have a bad experience with bands with the same or similar label. It can make you close-minded...

Or if you don't have even the slightest hint of what kind of music a band makes, you are not interested in it. There is simply too much music out there so that you have to make a preselection based on some kind of criteria, and that can be the label.

True, you get close-minded when you put too great an emphasis on the labels and when you actively reject everything that's not from your favorite genre. But I think that those people want to be close-minded for whatever reasons and attaching a label to music or removing it won't change that.

Everything is labeled/grouped into certain genres from movies to literature to art in general. Why should music make an exception?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2451 on: September 28, 2016, 06:03:25 AM »
I feel like the point with progressive rock is that it has almost become a genre tag for bands that do a little bit of everything and don't really fit in anywhere else. Not to get into the prog vs prog discussion, but a band like The Dear Hunter is usually described as progressive rock, yet they aren't really progressive in the traditional sense. No odd time signatures, no complex solos, they are categorized as progressive mainly because they dabble in several different musical styles and you don't really know what to expect.

"Prog" doesn't necessarily refer to the pretentious 30-40 minute epics with musicians who go off on their 5 minute solos (not that there's anything wrong with that), it can also be bands that are progressive in other ways.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2452 on: September 28, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »
That my friend is what we call a music lover.  I never just stick to one genre.  Whatever a band is playing, how short or long, if it's good I'll buy and listen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2453 on: September 28, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
Speaking of long or short, I have noticed that the more I listen to HCE, the more I realize that two of the three long songs are my least favorites.  I like both Ancestral and 3 Years Older, but I like most of the songs on that record more.   Routine, on the other hand, is still one of his best songs ever.  I listened to that on the way home from work earlier and the ending gave me goosebumps on my arm (as it usually does). :hat

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2454 on: September 28, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »
Speaking of long or short, I have noticed that the more I listen to HCE, the more I realize that two of the three long songs are my least favorites.  I like both Ancestral and 3 Years Older, but I like most of the songs on that record more.   Routine, on the other hand, is still one of his best songs ever.  I listened to that on the way home from work earlier and the ending gave me goosebumps on my arm (as it usually does). :hat
Routine has quite the impact on me. I remember listening to it after it came out and remembering my mom's quadruple bypass surgery from a few months prior. It hits me for several reasons because the chorus reminds me of how I coped with all of it, by going to work and school and going to the hospital afterwards for two weeks. I kept my routine to keep my mind of the depressing, horrible stuff that was going. The last part of the song talking about the bees and the jasmine sway reminds my of how I felt the day after her angiogram where they found that her heart had significant blockage and it wasn't 100% sure if she would survive surgery. I just couldn't believe that a beautiful fall day where everything in the world seemed perfect, our world was falling apart. That just connects to me.

Long story short: I equate Routine with my emotions during my mom's heart surgery.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2455 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »
That took guts to share that story, man. Everything turn out well with your mom?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2456 on: September 30, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
Yeah, the surgery was a success. Her dad died on the operating table from the same surgery many years ago, so that was also part of our worries as well. Now, her heart is back to normal functioning and she's healthy and fit. It's truly amazing.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2457 on: September 30, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »
Yeah, Steven's music can do that. It's unbelievable how it just reaches you. Also great to hear everything turned out well, man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2458 on: September 30, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »
Ditto that.  :tup :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #2459 on: October 23, 2016, 10:28:08 PM »
For anyone interested, SW appears to be in NZ this week, and there's a 20min interview with him here. If the article is anything to go by, it's probably entry level stuff, but whatever.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/nat-music/audio/201820490/steven-wilson-producer-progressive-without-being-prog-rock

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2460 on: October 24, 2016, 03:37:00 AM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2461 on: October 24, 2016, 08:32:33 AM »
hi de ho, neighbor
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2462 on: November 03, 2016, 11:14:55 PM »
Happy birthday to Steven! So pumped for the Denver show next week :caffeine:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2463 on: November 03, 2016, 11:49:26 PM »
In the upcoming release of Rush's 2112 - 40th Anniversary edition, Steven Wilson provides a cover of "The Twilight Zone".

Ya know....wrap your head around that one. I cannot wait to hear it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2464 on: November 04, 2016, 02:52:08 AM »
 I just got home from the show in Portland. Amazing!

The lead singer from the pineapple thief was supposed open, but his visa didn't arrive in time. So we had no opening act and Steven Wilson played an evening with show.

The crowd sang happy birthday to him, and he was generally in excellent spirits all night.

The first set was all of hand. Cannot. Erase.  I'm trying to remember the second set off the top of my head. I know he played dark matter, don't hate me, sleep together,  Lazarus, the sound of Muzak,  and a cover of sign of the times by Prince.

It ended up being about a 3 hour show. There was more, but it's extremely late and I actually have a kidney stone procedure in about four hours. So I'm going to try to get a little bit of shut eye before going to the hospital.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2465 on: November 04, 2016, 06:51:47 AM »
It ended up being about a 3 hour show. There was more, but it's extremely late and I actually have a kidney stone procedure in about four hours. So I'm going to try to get a little bit of shut eye before going to the hospital.

Now that is dedication.  Some would rest up before a procedure, others go to rock concerts.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: November 04, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »
I don't know why it took so long, but I decided to delve into Steven Wilson this past week. I'm majorly bummed that I missed his stop in SF in June.  :'( :'(

Fixing this tonight in SF! Looks like the singer from Pineapple Thief is still delayed, so here's hoping for another extended set! :caffeine:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2467 on: November 04, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
As awesome as SW is, man I'd be bummed to not see Pineapple Thief live.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2468 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
As awesome as SW is, man I'd be bummed to not see Pineapple Thief live.

I thought Bruce was playing solo acoustic?  I could be wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2469 on: November 04, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
Yeah, I think it's just Bruce. I wonder if he will open here next week. I love TPT but I would also be fine with a longer SW set.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: November 05, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »
Great show, and SW even referenced the genre discussion a couple times between songs, first loosely identifying with pop music: "No politics...Let's make pop great again!". Later he opined on his distaste of "genre" as a label, and that good music was just good music. He also lamented on the increased time between albums starting in the 80s, growing from 18 months to 2, 3, and 5 years, "and then you get to TOOL"  :lol  His thought process was that by having a continuous annual release cycle, you can afford to be more creative and risky with each individual release, and that bands can be hesitant to venture outside their established sound because they have this pressure to not lose a significant portion of their fanbase between fresh material.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2471 on: November 05, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
Makes sense, and while I know some have had a problem with his distaste for the prog label, I think he's just a guy who doesn't want any specific label put on his music for the reasons he stated: fans then expect your music to almost always be in that genre. 

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2472 on: November 05, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
can't wait for the LA show tonight!  :metal :metal
anyone else going?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2473 on: November 05, 2016, 04:21:40 PM »
I still don't quite get the genre hate. I'm going to expect him to have a certain sound whether there's an official prog stamp on it or not. When I say that Wilson plays progressive rock I'm not saying that all his future work will always be prog, just that what he's done so far has definetely been progressive rock.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2474 on: November 05, 2016, 05:04:32 PM »
A bit of an odd statement to make from Steven given how he himself is on a 2+ year cycle.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: November 05, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »
A bit of an odd statement to make from Steven given how he himself is on a 2+ year cycle.

Yeah, though he never explicitly claimed to meet that ideal, he did point to 4 1/2 as an attempt to give fans new material on a more frequent basis.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2476 on: November 05, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
I was looking at Queen's and Bowie's discography. Man, yeah, in the 70s they released a new album every year.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: November 05, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
Well I think album length maybe a factor, albums were shorter.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2478 on: November 06, 2016, 12:19:55 AM »
I was looking at Queen's and Bowie's discography. Man, yeah, in the 70s they released a new album every year.

Very true. More albums, but shorter ones, can mean a "larger" discography in a shorter time. Look at The Beatles - 7 years together, but all of that music!!! It's pretty nuts when you think about it, but in terms of total length of music put out, it's not that much. Then you look at a band like The Flower Kings, who between 1995-2007, released about 18 hours of studio material (considering they released 4 double albums, and others with bonus discs).

Then again, once you get into this discussion, it becomes about quantity or quality, how to balance both, etc. etc. If bands or artists need time between albums, I would at least expect something of good-to-great quality. I'd hate to wait 3-5 or more years and get a 35 minute album of 10 songs that ranged from meh-to-OK. Conversely, I'd probably hate it if I got a new album every 2 years where the music slowly became stale and repetitive.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2479 on: November 06, 2016, 07:09:39 AM »
I'd be all for annual EPs tbh. Maybe my life just changed but I can hardly find time for a full LP these days, much less for a double LP.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2480 on: November 17, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
A little off-topic, but Jess Cope - who made the videos for Raven, Drive Home and Routine, as well as Storm Corrosion's Drag Ropes - has directed the animated video for Metallica's Here Comes Revenge. Maybe Trujillo got her to work for them, being a SW fan? https://s4.postimg.org/7d9vjdpdp/swtrujillo.jpg

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2481 on: November 17, 2016, 05:41:30 AM »
Cool, when I saw Metallica video, I thought the style was too similar from that SW videos and I didn't know that was the same director (directress like actress? I don't know, my english isn't very good  :loser:)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2482 on: November 17, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
Probably also had to do with artists being more able to live almost entirely off of album sales, whereas today most of the money comes from merch and touring. Albums are just a way to get feet to the floor/butts into the seats.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2483 on: November 19, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »
Rob's a fan of SW? That's pretty cool!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2484 on: November 20, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
Great show, and SW even referenced the genre discussion a couple times between songs, first loosely identifying with pop music: "No politics...Let's make pop great again!". Later he opined on his distaste of "genre" as a label, and that good music was just good music. He also lamented on the increased time between albums starting in the 80s, growing from 18 months to 2, 3, and 5 years, "and then you get to TOOL"  :lol  His thought process was that by having a continuous annual release cycle, you can afford to be more creative and risky with each individual release, and that bands can be hesitant to venture outside their established sound because they have this pressure to not lose a significant portion of their fanbase between fresh material.

Pretty much had the same banter in St.Pete as well, he did add during the encore that he appreciates Kanye West as an artist a lot to the boos of the crowd, he said to give his material a chance to appreciate his creativity even though he wasn't a fan of his music at all.

We had John Wesley as the opener and he played a great set.

Scroll past if you don't want to know SW's setlist but at this point I think he only has a few shows left on the tour.

They played HCE the entire first set.
2nd set was

No twilight within the court
Index
My book of regrets
Insurgentes
Harmony korine
Don't hate me
Vermilioncore
Sleep together

Encore---
Space oddity (David Bowie)
Sign of the times (Prince)
Sound of Muzak
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan