Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370993 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #2310 on: April 24, 2016, 09:31:05 PM »
I hope for the next tour I see him with Marco and Guthrie again. The two current ones are good too, but it's not quite the same.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2311 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:19 AM »
At least Marco recently hinted that he may not be involved with SW's band anymore: https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77/photos/pb.60833133772.-2207520000.1461563233./10153746080283773/?type=3
Just found this shot of Steven and I, taken a few months ago at the Classic Rock Awards in London. And it just reminded me about how cool that band was after all and also of course about the albums we've recorded together over the last few years. Life's sometimes crazy when you tour a lot, it's sort of like rotating at the edge of a black hole, where time morphs and you lose perspective :). With all the touring for Steven Wilson, Joe Satriani and the Aristocrats, I wasn't even home since June last year! And then while browsing through the tour pictures, this one showed up, and I thought: Right, we used to play together, ...almost a bit emotional, isn't it.. :)
TBH I don't mind, because Craig Blundell is a great drummer (and a down-to-earth guy judging by his FB posts) too, and I actually prefer Kilminster to Guthrie on guitar. Don't get me wrong, Guthrie is a great player, but he seemed a little bit distant at the show I went to last year and I feel like Kilminster's playing style meshes better with Wilson's.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2312 on: April 25, 2016, 06:40:21 AM »
At least Marco recently hinted that he may not be involved with SW's band anymore: https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77/photos/pb.60833133772.-2207520000.1461563233./10153746080283773/?type=3
Just found this shot of Steven and I, taken a few months ago at the Classic Rock Awards in London. And it just reminded me about how cool that band was after all and also of course about the albums we've recorded together over the last few years. Life's sometimes crazy when you tour a lot, it's sort of like rotating at the edge of a black hole, where time morphs and you lose perspective :). With all the touring for Steven Wilson, Joe Satriani and the Aristocrats, I wasn't even home since June last year! And then while browsing through the tour pictures, this one showed up, and I thought: Right, we used to play together, ...almost a bit emotional, isn't it.. :)
TBH I don't mind, because Craig Blundell is a great drummer (and a down-to-earth guy judging by his FB posts) too, and I actually prefer Kilminster to Guthrie on guitar. Don't get me wrong, Guthrie is a great player, but he seemed a little bit distant at the show I went to last year and I feel like Kilminster's playing style meshes better with Wilson's.

Added to that, I don't know for sure, but it seems that Craig and Kilminster are more avaible to a full/exclusive comitement with a band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2313 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
So I was bored and made a list with every album on every Steven Wilson playlist and thought of sharing it here  :corn
Bumping the thread because I've updated this :P

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2314 on: May 03, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »
So I was bored and made a list with every album on every Steven Wilson playlist and thought of sharing it here  :corn
Bumping the thread because I've updated this :P

I bookmarked it, whenever I don't know what to listen to, I'll just grab an album off of there. Thanks for your effort!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2315 on: May 03, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »
You're welcome! I hope you've found some good stuff there  :smiley:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2316 on: May 13, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
Looks like Insurgentes has been re-relased with a more quiet, dynamic master. From DR6 to DR9. I can confirm it sounds even better now, less compressed and a bit cleaner  :hat

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2317 on: May 23, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
Even though we all already knew this and/or expected it, it's nice to get an update of sorts! Workin' on SW5! I cannot wait to hear what the man comes up with.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: May 23, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »
Hopefully something more electronic and modern  :smiley:

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #2319 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »
Not really sure what to expect from SW5. Though he dabbles and showcases other genres (electronic, jazz), his solo career style has been somewhat confined to just that - prog with some other genres sprinkled in there - ever since Grace.

Which definitely works for him, but I'm hoping for something a little different and jarring akin to Grace following Insurgentes, for example. HCE was a good step in that direction. He does great at not repeating himself so it's hard to imagine him disappointing.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2320 on: May 23, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
I'm definitely hoping for something more like the first couple albums. I like the supremely emotional stories he's told but the sound of them is waning on me. Love the orchestral macabre world he's created but I'd love a change. As long as the feels keep coming, I'm all good no matter what though, but I'd prefer to be feelsy and grooving as well.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2321 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
I really couldn't care less what style it is, I'm just pumped!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2322 on: May 23, 2016, 09:24:46 PM »
So, several months ago after 4 1/2 came out, I had asked if anyone had any idea where the non-album tracks from the HCE sessions would fit, and after a lot of listening and lyric-reading, and visiting the HCE blog, I came up with a final track listing for a "complete" HCE, which runs at 96 minutes, or two CD-rs at exactly 48 minutes each (it just worked out that way after I cross-faded tracks and what not).

1. First Regret / 3 Years Older
2. Hand Cannot Erase
3. Perfect Life
4. Key Of Skeleton

5. My Book Of Regrets
6. Sunday Rain Sets In
7. Routine

8. Happiness III
9. Vermillioncore
10. Home Invasion / Regret #9
11. Transience

12. Ancestral
13. Happy Returns / Ascendant Here On... / Last Regret

Each chunk was made out to be about a side of vinyl (as I like to do with most of my 2-CD tracklist remixes), each running 22 to 25 minutes or so, and I also kept in mind the pacing of instrumental tracks throughout the whole album as well.

It runs together very nicely, and the new tracks transition well with the older ones, at least to me, and I enjoy this version as much as I did the old one. I'm sure SW purists will scoff at the idea of making his albums longer "than they need to be", but I personally love longer albums, especially double/2-CD albums, more so if they're conceptual in nature. If anyone tries out this tracklisting, let me know what you think, or if you have ideas for alternative tracklistings, though I'll probably stick to this one for the time being (if not the rest of my life) as I quite enjoy it now (and have had the 2-CDrs burned and in my car for a couple of weeks).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2323 on: May 23, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »
I tried to do something like that with FOABP/NR, but I could never find anything that was satisfying.   The running order on the 2-LP seems more like the NR tracks are just "tacked on" as an afterthought, so I never really accepted it.  I had at least 2 different orders that I liked better, but nothing that really flowed like I had hoped it would.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2324 on: May 23, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »
Not to be a spoil sport, but I don't think the 4 1/2 tracks fit amongst the HCE tracks; they were left off that album for a reason.

I also agree about Fear/Nil Recurring. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2325 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
I tried to do something like that with FOABP/NR, but I could never find anything that was satisfying.   The running order on the 2-LP seems more like the NR tracks are just "tacked on" as an afterthought, so I never really accepted it.  I had at least 2 different orders that I liked better, but nothing that really flowed like I had hoped it would.

Regarding FOABP/NR, I actually grew to really enjoy the 2LP version of the track list quite a bit. The recurring themes and ideas presented on Side 4 really help tie together the album and the first three sides. The opening drum groove to "Nil Recurring" is the closing drum groove from the title track, while "Normal" is a great flip-side to "Sentimental", as the protagonist begins to realize that life isn't what they thought it was, and they wake up to reality, moving into the final track, "What Happens Now?" which revisits some lyrical and musical ideas from previous songs on the album, and works better as a closer than "Sleep Together" (at least, to me it does).

Sure it looks like those three tracks from NR were "just tacked on the end" because of time, but in terms of the flow of the "story" of the album, it fit very well to me. The final side was the wrap-up/conclusion to the rest of the album that we didn't already get, and it fits perfectly to me.

As for HCE, after reading the lyrics to the four HCE-outtakes (or at least the tracks recorded during those sessions), and reading numerous interviews with SW about those tracks, I did feel like they could be included, and some of them were intended to be but were eventually cut due to wanting the album to be shorter and more concise. As someone who enjoys inserting non-album same-session tracks back into their "parent album" (as I've done with numerous Flower Kings albums, Porcupine Tree albums, Dream Theater albums where applicable, as well as Genesis and Yes albums, etc.), having these HCE outtakes really spurred me on to try and accomplish the same thing, but it seemed harder since this was a concept album, so trying to find out how those other pieces fit felt like a challenging puzzle, but I understand if some folks don't see how they might fit, or just don't prefer to have them in there at all. Some fans are completely content with keeping their albums as they are, and that's fine, but I like exploring the possibilities of including more material when possible.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: May 24, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
Regarding FOABP/NR, I actually grew to really enjoy the 2LP version of the track list quite a bit. The recurring themes and ideas presented on Side 4 really help tie together the album and the first three sides. The opening drum groove to "Nil Recurring" is the closing drum groove from the title track, while "Normal" is a great flip-side to "Sentimental", as the protagonist begins to realize that life isn't what they thought it was, and they wake up to reality, moving into the final track, "What Happens Now?" which revisits some lyrical and musical ideas from previous songs on the album, and works better as a closer than "Sleep Together" (at least, to me it does).

Sure it looks like those three tracks from NR were "just tacked on the end" because of time, but in terms of the flow of the "story" of the album, it fit very well to me. The final side was the wrap-up/conclusion to the rest of the album that we didn't already get, and it fits perfectly to me.

It's good you put that level of consideration into it, but the fact is FOABP is a theme album rather than a proper concept: every song is about or related to the disaffected teen theme, but there is no coherent storyline whatsoever. You have to make MASSIVE leaps of logic for the whole thing to read like event-to-event. The clincher is, quite simply, "My Ashes" – the eulogy for the disaffected kid AFTER he's shed the problems and can look back in 20/20, placed as track #2 after the title track introduces the kid and his disaffectation (I made a word!). Then it's followed by "Anesthetize" which is, lyrically (if not musically), a smattering of the same stuff from FOABP without any progression or change, and "Sentimental" which also talks about the same stuff without progression or change. The only 'events' are in WOOH and potentially "Sleep Together," plus the bonus tracks.

It's much, much more related musically than it is lyrically. Dropping in Nil Recurring tracks will fit anywhere because it's already a set of vignettes placed out of order lyrically but in a nice set of transitions musically. That's why "Cheating the Polygraph" works so well as track 3 on the vinyl – makes zero sense lyrically, but the music follows perfectly after MA, and sets up a better transition into the music of "Anesthetize."

I quite like what you did with HCE, since it has much more of a narrative sense. (I'd leave out "Key of Skeleton" because I think it's really awful, though...)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2327 on: May 24, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »
Going from memory... I think my listing for FOABP/NR was

1. Fear of a Blank Planet
2. My Ashes
3. Normal

4. Anesthetize

5. Cheating the Polygraph
6. Sentimental
7. Way Out of Here

8. What Happens Now?
9. Nil Recurring
10. Sleep Together

EDIT - Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:30:13 AM by jammindude »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2328 on: May 24, 2016, 11:04:43 PM »
Going from memory... I think my listing for FOABP/NR was

1. Fear of a Blank Planet
2. My Ashes
3. Normal

4. Anesthetize

5. Cheating the Polygraph
6. Sentimental
7. Way Out of Here

8. Way Out of Here
9. Nil Recurring
10. Sleep Together

You must really like "Way Out Of Here", eh?

-Marc.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2329 on: May 24, 2016, 11:15:36 PM »
Guessing one is supposed to be What Happens Now? Shame. That and Sleep Together are my top 2 for sure.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2330 on: May 25, 2016, 05:52:13 AM »
1. Anesthetize
2. Fear of a blank planet
3. Way out of here
4. Cheating the polygraph

5. Normal
6. What happens now?
7. Sleep together
8. Sentimental
9. My ashes

10. Nil recurring

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2331 on: May 25, 2016, 06:19:30 AM »
No no no no no.....it's not a ranking.  It was my running order to put the two albums together as a single album.

Stay on topic!!!   :rollin

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2332 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:33 AM »
No no no no no.....it's not a ranking.  It was my running order to put the two albums together as a single album.

You listed Way Out Of Here twice in your running order, hence his comment ;)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2333 on: May 25, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Dang. I honestly need to learn how to read, this isn't the first time this has happened.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2334 on: May 26, 2016, 06:29:05 AM »

You listed Way Out Of Here twice in your running order, hence his comment ;)

DOH!!!!  I just noticed that.  Yes....track 8 (beginning side 4) is What Happens Now.   Thanks for the catch.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2335 on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:40 PM »
Just read that he is (or has) remixed KC Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair 🙂... Gonna have to buy those as well as his Dicipline remix. I love that era of Crimson. Can also see there will be a box set coming in October that will include all three... So guess I'll hold off on Disipline for now.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: June 16, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
On 17th June, Steven is releasing Insurgentes, Grace for Drowning, The Raven that Refused to Sing (and Other Stories), Hand.Cannot.Erase, 4½ and Cover Version to the following services: Apple Music, Deezer, Google Play, Napster, Spotify and TIDAL.

I'm sure most of you have this in physical format and don't care much about this but for a long time now I've been using spotify 95% of the time and having these available makes me super happy
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2337 on: June 16, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
That is good news.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: June 16, 2016, 09:06:50 AM »
That is good news.
This.

Also, updated the albums list. Lots of weird stuff there.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2339 on: June 16, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
Yay, finally I'll be able to listen to his solo stuff at work! :D

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2340 on: June 16, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
Wonder what made him change his mind?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2341 on: June 16, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2342 on: June 16, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
That's a good interview.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2343 on: June 16, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »
Yes, that's a very interesting read! I really hope he gets more fans through streaming, he deserves it  :tup
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2344 on: June 16, 2016, 12:15:45 PM »
I liked 4 1/2 when it came out, but got bored with it soon. Not of the same creative quality as HCE in my opinion.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .