Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371236 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #2170 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:56 PM »
I still need to devote more time to this. I have listened to My Book of Regrets several times, and it is great, but I was on a massive Bowie kick for several weeks until last Friday, and then it has been nothing but The Astonishing since.  I'll get to it soon.

Kev, you need to see the new live video Steven Wilson  just releaaed.  I won't say anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2171 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »
I saw it. Very nice.  :tup :tup

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2172 on: February 05, 2016, 03:16:27 AM »
Saw him Wednesdsay, fantastic concert!

I see people here liking My Book of Regrets, I agree! For me, that song was the highlight of the concert, amazing performance. And Vermillioncore was another highlight, partially due to the awesome visuals (projected on a transparent curtain in front of the stage).

I was totally expecting to like the Hand. Cannot. Erase. set the most, but I enjoyed set 2 even moreso. While I do not like every song he played during the second set, in a live setting it all worked extremely well and some tracks had more balls to them. Overall I really enjoyed having a more coherent concept telling a story at the beginning, with a more varied and regular setlist visiting all kinds of past and present material after it.
I still need to devote more time to this. I have listened to My Book of Regrets several times, and it is great, but I was on a massive Bowie kick for several weeks until last Friday, and then it has been nothing but The Astonishing since.  I'll get to it soon.

Kev, you need to see the new live video Steven Wilson  just releaaed.  I won't say anymore.

Where? Not on yt? Edit: I was being blind  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:34:34 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2173 on: February 05, 2016, 06:34:43 AM »
Seeing him in 10 days and damn I'm so excited about that. Great to hear that about set 2.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: February 05, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »
I'm still waiting for him to announce a date in Argentina. He already has one in Chile so I would assume he'll come here as well, if he doesn't I'll be very pissed off....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2175 on: February 05, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
Same, as I didn't caught him on the last 2 tours  :(

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2176 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
You're in for a treat  :smiley:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2177 on: February 07, 2016, 02:10:04 AM »
I've been listening to 4½ for the past few weeks and I like it. My Book of Regrets and Year of the Plague are awesome, and Happiness III and Vermillioncore (heard this one on the radio a week ago :D) are pretty good too. The new version of Don't Hate Me doesn't measure up to the original, though: it's a little too slow, the guitars in the verses sound kind of rigid (for lack of a better word) compared to the PT version, and Ninet's vocals lack the tortured feel that the chorus calls for.

BTW, does anyone else think the cover art may have been inspired by this? ;)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2178 on: February 07, 2016, 03:45:29 AM »
I agree on Don't Hate Me after listening again. It's not bad, but it does not have that same mood. But overall I'm really enjoying 4 1/2 so far, especially Year of the Plague.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2179 on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »
I like this version of Don't Hate Me just as much as the original,  but,  I'm also totally in love with Ninet's voice :heart so...  Yea
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2180 on: February 07, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
Finally giving the EP a good listen...

That chorus from Happiness III is going to be stuck in my head all day now. :biggrin:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2181 on: February 07, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
Finally giving the EP a good listen...

That chorus from Happiness III is going to be stuck in my head all day now. :biggrin:

While I think My Book of Regrets is the best song, Happiness III really gets stuck in my head more than anything.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2182 on: February 07, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
Didn't hear the whole EP yet but I heard Happiness III on new year's episode of WPaPU and this reminded me I liked it so now I have it on repeat on Youtube :lol catchy tune, it really shows how diverse Steven's music is
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2183 on: February 07, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
Okay, so I managed to finally see this man live after missing out on 4 shows during the last 3 years. This was probably the greatest show I've ever been to, granted, I haven't seen many live acts (DT thrice, Steve Vai and Neal Morse Band (with haken)) but they were all stellar as well. Performancewise, this tops them all, the band was on fire, they really nailed it, the sound was great, every instrument was audible and the setlist was to die for. The Entire Hand. Cannot. Erase. album alone was amazing, but the clear highlight was Dark Matter, then again, it's a top 5 SW song (ever) for me so that meant alot. Bottom Line, I had the greatest friday of my life, if you get the chance to catch this show live, take it!

(Craig seemed to have some problem with The Sound of Muzak though, a bit strange if you ask me)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2184 on: February 07, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »
Craig didn't have any problems with TSoM (or indeed with any song) during the Hannover show.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: February 11, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
Aaaaand I got my tickets  :D

March 22nd it is

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2186 on: February 11, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
I'll get mine soon, colour me fucking hyped :caffeine:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: February 11, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
Mine is in four days and oh hell yes I'm so ready for this.

I'm going to be useless at work at Monday. All my thoughts are going to be about this gig.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: February 16, 2016, 02:22:53 AM »
Well, that was really magical and fantastic show.

Setlist

I'm not even going to write a lot about this show here, everyone who saw him live (and now I'm a happy part of this group) knows what I'm talking about. Great, clear sound, every musician is so precise and the emotions I felt during songs like Routine, Happy Returns, Lazarus and Raven are really can't be compared with anything I felt on other concerts (well except for The Theater Equation). Just as I thought, I indeed teared up on the Routine.

Glad we've got Open Car instead of Dark Matter or Drag Ropes, it was a fitting opener for the second set which was heavier than HCE in its entirety, this song set the mood just fine. Another big highlight was the Bowie cover. Space Oddity sounded fantastic and drew a huge ovation from the audience. I wish they played The Watchmaker though, but this seemed to be the case only for one odd show on this tour. Well, maybe next time!

Steven was also a lot of fun with his banter between the songs.

All in all, loved the show and I hope he'll be coming a bit more often down here.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2189 on: February 16, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
I really hope I get to hear Dark Matter live at some point, definitely the best PT song. Would be magical to hear it, but he seems rather fond of it, so it might appear in future live sets as well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2190 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »
I think I'm getting my ticket on the next payday. Cash is tight this week. If they're sold out by then, I'll just have to miss him.   :sadpanda:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2191 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
Does someone here know if there is an official way to purchase/stream the H.C.E. Yahoo live show? I see most (all?) songs on yt but would like to have the full, official thing. But I can only find a broadcast link that says the show is finished? (and that the re-broadcast was finished).

Well, that was really magical and fantastic show.

Setlist

I'm not even going to write a lot about this show here, everyone who saw him live (and now I'm a happy part of this group) knows what I'm talking about. Great, clear sound, every musician is so precise and the emotions I felt during songs like Routine, Happy Returns, Lazarus and Raven are really can't be compared with anything I felt on other concerts (well except for The Theater Equation). Just as I thought, I indeed teared up on the Routine.

Glad we've got Open Car instead of Dark Matter or Drag Ropes, it was a fitting opener for the second set which was heavier than HCE in its entirety, this song set the mood just fine. Another big highlight was the Bowie cover. Space Oddity sounded fantastic and drew a huge ovation from the audience. I wish they played The Watchmaker though, but this seemed to be the case only for one odd show on this tour. Well, maybe next time!

Steven was also a lot of fun with his banter between the songs.

All in all, loved the show and I hope he'll be coming a bit more often down here.

Glad that you loved it too!

I always liked SW's material but never considered myself to be a "fan" (to the extent I call myself a fan of an artist), but seeing him live definitely changed that for me. Some songs (from PT) I do not really like all that much were really great live. Like I said before, I really liked the contrast between the two sets and overall the show felt perfectly balanced. I hope we will at least get an audio release of a current liveshow, as they are in fantastic shape indeed. And I was surprised by his banter, he was genuinely funny in the show I attended, gotta love that dry British humor.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2192 on: February 17, 2016, 02:37:35 AM »
That's a fantastic setlist!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2193 on: February 23, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
I REALLY like the EP... And i really wish he was playing Train (in Denmark) again on the second leg :-(.

I was fortunate enough to see him on the first leg of this tour and the second leg of Raven but I'd have to go to Copenhagen this time around and just can't swing it (plus I really hate going to concerts over there).

Glad everyone who can is enjoying the second leg, I'll be looking forward to the live release he talked about earlier which I'm sure will cover some of new material on this leg :-).

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2194 on: February 27, 2016, 10:38:42 PM »
Ex-Mansun singer Paul Draper is finally releasing some solo music aaaaaand......it's a collaboration with SW!  :o  That should be good
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2195 on: March 04, 2016, 12:25:51 PM »
I hear SW has a cold which is why Raven has been dropped from the set a few nights.  hoping he's better by the show in NY tomorrow, easily one of my favorite tracks so it'd be a shame to not hear it  :-[
anyone else going tomorrow?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2196 on: March 04, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »
I hear SW has a cold which is why Raven has been dropped from the set a few nights.  hoping he's better by the show in NY tomorrow, easily one of my favorite tracks so it'd be a shame to not hear it  :-[
anyone else going tomorrow?

Yeah, I'll be there tomorrow, really looking forward to it!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2197 on: March 04, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2198 on: March 04, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »
does anyone know what time his show's have been ending this tour?  just trying to make my travel plans back to philly from new york, if it's done by 10:45 I'll be in much better shape..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2199 on: March 04, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: March 04, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »
So damn close Rumbo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2201 on: March 04, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »
Dude, those are the cheapest seats in the venue.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2202 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
Figures. I'm getting a new furnace plus DT show and RoSfest again this year so I passed on this show.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2203 on: March 04, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2204 on: March 04, 2016, 08:28:52 PM »
Nice! I'm leaving for Chicago tomorrow morning and staying til Wednesday to see both shows there. Anybody else going to either show?

So. Pumped.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.