Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371140 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1960 on: September 29, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
I still don't understand the logic of not playing Transience. It's like 3 mins long at the most (and a great song)!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1961 on: September 29, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand why he wouldn't play Transience as well. Would love to hear/see that live.

I was trying to see if anyone had posted anything from last nights show on youtube... although didn't have high hopes since most people tend to respect it if he ask not to record (which I'm not sure if he did at last nights show) but I did stumble across this which I hadn't seen before so I got my new SW live material fix partially filled (it's a sanctioned drum cam video of Home Invasion from a sound check in Luxembourg).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4WPm3ZVaIQ

Thanks for posting that!  I love this song, love the album and would really dig seeing him live some day.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1963 on: September 29, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
Nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1964 on: September 29, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
That playlist is incredible.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1965 on: September 29, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
Holy fuck... I've had the pleasure of seeing him play the albums live the few times I've seen him but it's setlists like this that give me a jealousy boner. ARGH! I want to go to another show so bad but...it's just possible for quite some time...  :'(

The only one I'd replace is Lazarus. That is one of the few songs by the man that I'm just not that into. It's more than likely got to do with the fact that an ex of mine played it CONSTANTLY whenever I attempted to get her into my music and is literally the only motherfucking song that she liked.  :lol As if to say "YEAH! I LIKE YOUR MUSIC! LEMME PLAY THIS ONE SONG OVER AND OVER!". Good for you, woman. Good. For. You. Shiiiiiieet. I wasn't into the song that much already, but that put it on my do-not-play list...and other than maybe two other songs, is the only PT/solo songs that I haven't liked all that much. The other I can think right off the top of my head is YOUR UNPLEASANT FAMILY. Hoooollly shit. It's...funny because it's one of the only songs I'd call from Wilson that's...bad. Okay, I digress. Not the time/place. Oopsie!

That said...man, the next chance I get that I possibly can, I am going to a show and dollars to doughnuts the setlist will pale in comparison to the ones you guys have posted because my luck is just that good.

Also count me in the group that is disappointed that he hasn't been playing Transience. It's tied as my favorite with Routine off the new album and it's so damn beautiful. I mean...not that it'd affect me right now anyway, but it'd be nice to know that he is playing it for whenever I do see him live again.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1966 on: September 29, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Killer set lists. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Bummer there won't be a live DVD from those shows. :(

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1967 on: September 29, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
Shesmovedon would be so great... Ahh!!!

Great setlists
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1968 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
Duuude.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1969 on: September 30, 2015, 02:20:08 AM »
SW and Gavin sharing the stage again? Nice! :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: September 30, 2015, 02:43:46 AM »
Another very entertaining show although I admit I didn't know (although have previously heard at least once, I think) about 3/4 of the setlist.

I can tell you Routine was astonishingly good again and Ninet remembered all the words, too.

There was a printed request on both nights for people not to take pictures or videos but many people did and were seemingly discreet about it. No-one was forced to watch either show through someone else's mobile device which was, as I said previously, refreshing. As for me, I was in a box on both nights and did record some video last night. I don't know how the audio came out yet (and I admit to feeling a little ashamed for having taken it) but I'll let you all know. I got the whole of Routine, and I think the whole of the encore, too, with Gavin Harrison.

As a side note, Matt Berry was amazing! For those who don't know, he's a fairly well-known comedic actor in the UK. Turns out he's also released some wonderful music.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1971 on: September 30, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
Were the shows filmed professionally?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1972 on: October 01, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
As a side note, Matt Berry was amazing! For those who don't know, he's a fairly well-known comedic actor in the UK. Turns out he's also released some wonderful music.

Haha really? What'd he do?  I did know he was a muso, but didn't think he would be the type to hang with Steven Wilson.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1973 on: October 02, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »
Okay so Steven just posted some exciting news on Facebook.

"And so another leg of the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour has come to an end, and although reasonably short (12 shows) there were some unforgettable evenings, concluding with 2 fantastic nights at one of the most special concert venues in the world, The Royal Albert Hall in London. A big thank you to everyone that came along to any of these shows. Special mention and praise has to be given to the 2 new guys joining myself, Nick, and Adam for their first European tour; Craig Blundell on drums, and Dave Kilminster on guitar, who not only had the daunting task of filling extremely large shoes, but had to learn over 4 hours of music in just over 4 months, which they then proceeded to play brilliantly and make their own. I’d also like to thank all my special guests at the 2 RAH shows for helping to make these shows such a memorable experience. My personal highlight (among many) would have to be the performances of Routine - relieved of vocal duties I was able to step back, and the combination of one of my favourite songs, the band’s stellar performance, Jess Cope's amazing animated video on the big screen, and Ninet Tayeb’s astounding vocal performance and charisma, all conspired to create a powerfully emotional moment that made me think maybe I did something pretty good with my life after all (-:

Next up for me is to assemble and record a mini album of previously unreleased material, mostly from the HCE writing sessions, including the fairly long piece My Book of Regrets that we played on the recent tour. This project will essentially be album "4 and a half", a companion to the main album, but also a stepping stone to the next album proper. I’m proud of the pieces on it, which are by no means “leftovers”, more like pieces that just didn’t fit in at the time, and subsequent reworking and additional composition has taken place since. This should be released in January, at which point we will be back on the road for another major touring period that will continue on and off until the Summer, and take in a lot of countries for the first time. I have also invited Ninet to join me and the band for this part of the tour, although exactly how many and which shows she will appear at will depend on her availability, as she has a very active career of her own - you can watch her new video here: https://youtu.be/k6qc9bX_7vQ

During this period we're also planing to shoot a live performance film. These days I’m not so enthusiastic about the standard filmed live concert format, so myself and Lasse have been looking at a way to do something really different and to perhaps push the envelope a bit with regard to what a live performance film can be.
But the bottom line is that there will be a visual live document of the HCE era, and hopefully a very special and unique one.
Photo credit - Miles Skarin - Crystal Spotlight"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1974 on: October 02, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »
Alright, he knows just how awesome HCE is that it'd be crazy not to document the live shows somehow.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1975 on: October 02, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
Nice, I'm thinking of going to Manchester in January to watch him live (couldn't attend the concert in France two weeks ago) so I might get to watch some new stuff live. Hopefully it won't replace some of the PT songs, it'd be nice to get a varied show.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: October 02, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
at which point we will be back on the road for another major touring period that will continue on and off until the Summer, and take in a lot of countries for the first time.

I wish he would visit Russia, though I know it will probably never happen. Still, I can hope.

And nice to hear about the live performance filming, I'm certainly looking forward for this one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1977 on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »
Okay so Steven just posted some exciting news on Facebook.

During this period we're also planing to shoot a live performance film. These days I’m not so enthusiastic about the standard filmed live concert format, so myself and Lasse have been looking at a way to do something really different and to perhaps push the envelope a bit with regard to what a live performance film can be.
But the bottom line is that there will be a visual live document of the HCE era, and hopefully a very special and unique one.
Photo credit - Miles Skarin - Crystal Spotlight"

I just hope he doesn't pull an Chaos in Motion...not  so much about the quality but the format. You know, several live clips from different shows, some interviews in between...HCE deserves to be played completely (and documented).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1978 on: October 02, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
Awesome blossom!! Still looking forward to the new HCE unreleased session album very much so! But also really great to hear I'll get to see some of the tour myself since I won't be able to make it this time around. What a fuckin' badass and a hard as hell worker. He and Townsend are just nonstop amazingness.

Goo, there's no way that happens. Only Chaos In Motion can pull a Chaos In Motion. Such a horrible idea...  :lol I get what they were going for but they didn't have to be so literal with the chaos.  :P

RIP DTP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1979 on: October 02, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
Awesome blossom!! Still looking forward to the new HCE unreleased session album very much so! But also really great to hear I'll get to see some of the tour myself since I won't be able to make it this time around. What a fuckin' badass and a hard as hell worker. He and Townsend are just nonstop amazingness.

Goo, there's no way that happens. Only Chaos In Motion can pull a Chaos In Motion. Such a horrible idea...  :lol I get what they were going for but they didn't have to be so literal with the chaos.  :P

LOL..I just meant the format: no complete show, just a compilation of live songs...I would be extremely disappointed if the HCE tour would be documented that way. HCE needs to be filmed completely (including Transience which I still dont understand the reason why it wasn't included in the RAH shows).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1980 on: October 02, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
Ahhh, gotcha. I think that's a long shot as well though, at least I too am hoping... Like he said in that announcement though, that's been done so many times before and is almost always received poorly and he wants to do something original and make it special, so I think we're safe.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1981 on: October 02, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
Good to see that there will be some type of live video from this tour.  :coolio

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1982 on: October 03, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »
New EP, new DVD, Ninet possibly touring with the band... 2016 is going to be an awesome SW year! :caffeine:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1983 on: October 03, 2015, 12:27:46 AM »
I personally felt that Arriving Somewhere accomplished this goal already. 

I know not everyone likes the look of that film, but to me it is a MUCH more watchable end product than Anesthetize by miles and miles.   The visual effects make the whole thing seem more like an actual art film or (dare I say) movie than just a bland visual representation of a concert. 

I own dozens of concert videos, but Arriving Somewhere is the only one that I enjoy watching multiple times, and it is strictly for the visual aspect.   I hope this new video does something similar.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1984 on: October 03, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »
I personally felt that Arriving Somewhere accomplished this goal already. 

I know not everyone likes the look of that film, but to me it is a MUCH more watchable end product than Anesthetize by miles and miles.   The visual effects make the whole thing seem more like an actual art film or (dare I say) movie than just a bland visual representation of a concert. 

I own dozens of concert videos, but Arriving Somewhere is the only one that I enjoy watching multiple times, and it is strictly for the visual aspect.   I hope this new video does something similar.

I prefer the audio on Arriving Somewhere. It's a bit more raw and energetic than the overly produced audio in the Anesthetize live album. But I love the Anasthetize video. I can't stand the artsty feel of Arriving Somewhere.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: October 21, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
at which point we will be back on the road for another major touring period that will continue on and off until the Summer, and take in a lot of countries for the first time.

I wish he would visit Russia, though I know it will probably never happen. Still, I can hope.

And I just found out on his official site he's coming to Moscow next year February 15th and the tickets are already on sale! Wow, I'm so happy right now it's ridiculous.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1986 on: October 21, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »
I bought my ticket for the January Hannover show this week. Can't wait  :)

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #1987 on: October 23, 2015, 02:51:33 AM »
As far as solo SW song rankings go:

1. The Watchmaker
2. Ascendant Here On...
3. Perfect Life
4. Significant Other
5. Ancestral
6. Luminol
7. Drive Home
8. 3 Years Older
9. The Holy Drinker
10. Harmony Korine

Notice how GFD is omitted completely? That's because nothing in the album is memorable. I've tried hard to enjoy the album as a whole and as a collection of songs, but I feel nothing for it. Sigh.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1988 on: October 23, 2015, 03:05:43 AM »
No specific ranking other than being top10 songs from his solo career:

Raider II
Deform to Form a Star
Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye
Home in Negative
Salvaging
Harmony Korine
Get All You Deserve
The Raven That Refused to Sing
The Watchmaker
Routine

Offline Onno

« Reply #1989 on: October 23, 2015, 03:43:42 AM »
Home in Negative
I didn't even know that song, since I don't own the BluRay version of GfD. Are the rest of SW's bonus tracks also this good?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1990 on: October 23, 2015, 03:52:01 AM »
Home in Negative
I didn't even know that song, since I don't own the BluRay version of GfD. Are the rest of SW's bonus tracks also this good?

The bonus tracks on Insurgentes (there's 5 of them) are definitely great and worth checking out. The other ones from GfD are cool I guess, but Home in Negative is the one that stands out. I think Raven had a b-side? (not entirely sure) and I guess that's that. He also has that album called Cover Version which features 6 covers and 6 original songs, some of those are really neat as well.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1991 on: October 23, 2015, 04:11:54 AM »
Great, thanks. I have heard Cover Version, though I don't own it yet. Great album.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: October 23, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
Alright, here's the b-side rundown.

Insurgentes:
Deluxe bonus disc (posted to Soundcloud as well)
- Port Rubicon
- Puncture Wound
- Collecting Space
- Insurgentes Mexico
- The 78
Film bonus music
- Desperation
- Veneno Para Las Hadas (Early Version)
- A Western Home
- Deadwing Theme
- Collecting Space (Demo)
- Insurgentes (Sweet Billy Pilgrim remix)

- Vapour Trail Lullaby (demo of what became Blackfield song "Lullaby")

Grace for Drowning:
Deluxe edition bonus disc (The Map)
- Home in Negative
- Fluid Tap
- The Map
- Raider Acceleration
- Black Dog Throwbacks
- Raider II (Demo)
Bluray Demos
- Sectarian
- Deform to Form a Star
- No Part of Me
- Remainder the Black Dog
- Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye

- Cut Ribbon (app bonus/Soundcloud download)

Raven:
Demo CD deluxe edition bonus disc
- Clock Song
- plus the whole album in demo form
Bluray
- instrumental version
Drive Home single
- The Birthday Party
- Drive Home (Lounge Version)
- Raven (Orchestral Version)
- plus the live tracks

HCE:
Deluxe edition
- First Regret alt mix
- HCE radio
- Perfect Life (Grand Union mix)
- Routine (Ninet solo vocal version)
- Regret #9 alt take
- Happy Returns radio
- instrumental version of the album
- Key of Skeleton (Demo)
- Last Regret (Demo) plus the proper album in demos minus HI/R#9

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1993 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
For what it's worth, my current top 10 SW solo songs:

1. Drive Home
2. Deform to Form a Star
3. Raider II
4. The Watchmaker
5. The 78
6. Regret #9
7. Luminol
8. Abandoner
9. Harmony Korine
10. The Raven That Refused to Sing

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1994 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
Tickets bought for february, really interested in seeing him live!