Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369508 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1855 on: July 24, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
I'm commenting on a whole that a few complain every time something is released.  I was generalizing Hef.  Always complaining.

Hey, I've been waiting for Lucas to release the original Star Wars Trilogy in Blu Ray 5.1 forever.  Guess what, I didn't worry about it.  Someday he will and I just won't but any other release like he does until it happens.  No whining.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1856 on: July 24, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Um, OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: July 24, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
My feeling have nothing to do with SW, I say this about every band that people complain about. 

I've seen people complain about Rush releasing a live Blu Ray every tour. I tell them the same,  don't buy it then.  I had to uy shitty bootleg on VHS every tour.  Now I get 5.1 all the time.
People aren't complaining that it's "another SW release."

They are complaining that this release is allegedly more accessible music designed for new fans, but it is vinyl only and not easily available.  Which seemingly contradicts its stated purpose for existence.

That's their premise that it's to draw in new fans and if that was true Hef, why wouldn't he release it on all formats.  I don't believe it's to draw in new people at all.  So simply, don't buy it. 

Is it hard to figure out SW is old school and loves these album releases for the purists?  I can skip it.  Other seem to lament over whatever weird releases he does.  It's not the first and it's not the last. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:07:22 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1858 on: July 24, 2015, 10:59:16 PM »
So, yesterday I was at the pharmacy at Walmart. The girl behind the counter (kinda cute) commented on my Raven Album Cover shirt. She asked what it was.

I then went into a deep explanation on who Steven Wilson was and what not.

And her eyes glazed over.

SHE IS NOT WORTHY
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1859 on: July 25, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »
She may go down to hell like The Holy Drinker.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1860 on: July 25, 2015, 01:06:01 AM »
 :lol

Next time you just gotta be like "Girl, you have to hear this album." Make sure she writes it down/looks it up, and leave it mysterious.

As for this new vinyl, I kinda think it's dumb but at least it comes with a download code. But yeah, nobody without a record player, unless they're already a SW collector, is going to buy that. I guess maybe a big SW fan could buy it and invite a friend who's never heard it over to listen on a record player. But I'm personally not crazy about the track list. Lots of songs I love, but I just don't see them going together well. *shrug*
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: July 25, 2015, 05:06:50 AM »
So, yesterday I was at the pharmacy at Walmart. The girl behind the counter (kinda cute) commented on my Raven Album Cover shirt. She asked what it was.

SHE IS NOT WORTHY

My mother in law saw the album cover for Raven on my 5.1 Blu Ray next to my TV and asked, "What's with the Halloween  music"?  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1862 on: July 25, 2015, 05:28:47 AM »

SHE IS NOT WORTHY
Why a deep explanation?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1863 on: July 25, 2015, 05:47:18 AM »
Because, ya know, trains are deep, right?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: July 25, 2015, 05:51:36 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1865 on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:26 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1866 on: July 25, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
Why the deep explaination? Because Prog.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: July 25, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
I don't know why it took so long, but I decided to delve into Steven Wilson this past week. I'm majorly bummed that I missed his stop in SF in June.  :'( :'(

On the bright side, I headed over to my local Rasputin music and lo and behold, they had a single copy of the deluxe box set of Hand. Cannot. Erase. :caffeine:

I was actually about to buy the Blu-Ray when I noticed the cover art on the shelf behind her, so I stopped the cashier a moment before she swiped my card and verified that this was the same version that was sold out everywhere online. I've only glanced through the book, but I can't wait to delve into it this weekend.  :metal

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1868 on: July 25, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »
That's awesome! It's a great piece of art.

Because, ya know, trains are deep, right?

:lol, duh. But yeah, that's probably why the girl's eyes glazed over. Somebody you don't know is not going to get super excited when you go into a long monologue on a band they've never heard of. Hence the mystery approach.

:rollin

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1869 on: July 25, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »

On the bright side, I headed over to my local Rasputin music and lo and behold, they had a single copy of the deluxe box set of Hand. Cannot. Erase. :caffeine:

Love Rasputin! That and Amoeba are my favorite record stores in the Bay Area  :metal

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #1870 on: August 24, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
I'm afraid I won't be able to attend the two shows next month at the Royal Albert Hall :-[. Should there be anyone who'd want the chance to purchase tickets for these gigs, please let me know.
There are both a seated and a standing ticket available for each of the nights. (Both seated tickets are located in the Circle section).

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1871 on: August 24, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »
I am going to see him in Rome in about a month oh god i'm just gonna  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1872 on: August 24, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
Why the deep explaination? Because Prog.

And thus the glazed eyes.   

I had a revelation recently; my wife, daughter and step daughter were all talking about the relative merits of Rally Green versus Julep Green for the downstairs bathroom, and I've come to the realization that that conversation... prog.   Doesn't mean they are not worthy, doesn't mean I love them any less, but... prog.   

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1873 on: August 24, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »
I'm afraid I won't be able to attend the two shows next month at the Royal Albert Hall :-[. Should there be anyone who'd want the chance to purchase tickets for these gigs, please let me know.
There are both a seated and a standing ticket available for each of the nights. (Both seated tickets are located in the Circle section).

Good gawd I wish. Why can't you go??

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #1874 on: August 25, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
Good gawd I wish. Why can't you go??

Unfortunately it's a financial matter. Tickets were bought right when they went on sale but I've had to wait a bit to book a hostel and transport, with some dumb luck mixed in between it's something that I just can't afford at the moment. :-[

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1875 on: August 26, 2015, 01:30:24 AM »
Some of you have asked about the 2016 shows, and if the set list will be the same as on the recent Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour, to which the answer is definitely not!

While there will still of course be a focus on the music and visuals of the recent album, the set is being considerably revamped, and we are learning songs going back to the 90’s that I have not played at my solo shows before, as well as music from a forthcoming EP of previously unreleased / unfinished tracks originating from the Hand. Cannot. Erase. sessions. Some of this new/old material will also feature in the forthcoming September dates, concluding with the Royal Albert Hall shows where we’ll be performing around 4 hours of repertoire across the two nights (with some friends helping out).

Ok, this makes me even more excited.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1876 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
So, those shows are gonna be filmed, right?

Someone say yes.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1877 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
SW is coming to Finland again in February, this time also to the city where I live! :metal Can't wait for the new EP and the show... :caffeine:

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1878 on: August 26, 2015, 10:52:42 AM »

Someone say yes.

Don't think so, Steven said something about live DVDs being boring.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1879 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »

Love Rasputin! That and Amoeba are my favorite record stores in the Bay Area  :metal

Rasputin FTW, all of DTF should be hella jelly they don't have access to such quality record stores.. :metal :metal :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1880 on: August 27, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »

Someone say yes.

Don't think so, Steven said something about live DVDs being boring.
He has certainly done them before.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1881 on: August 27, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
I would bet they are gonna be filmed.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1882 on: August 28, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »
He certainly has done them before, he also stated in an interview earlier this summer that the royal albert hall shows would not be filmed. It's a shame though...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1883 on: August 29, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
More often than not, SW seems to take that "a live DVD can never capture the spirit of the actual show, so why bother" stance.  On the one hand, it'd be great to get a live DVD from every tour, but on the flip side, it will make it more special when he does eventually release another. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1884 on: August 29, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »
Got my fingers crossed for the OTSOL 25 Year Anniversary DVD set in two years.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1885 on: August 29, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »
More often than not, SW seems to take that "a live DVD can never capture the spirit of the actual show, so why bother" stance.  On the one hand, it'd be great to get a live DVD from every tour, but on the flip side, it will make it more special when he does eventually release another.

I would have wished a DVD for The Raven. For me, the live songs were so much better than the studio. Would be great if we get both Raven and HCE played entirely on this Albert Hall 2 night run.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1886 on: August 29, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »
Some bands have a trend of putting out a new live dvd/cd from every tour, but in general it's really not a common thing. I can think of many bands that haven't put out a live release at all, or just a single one. I think SW has done a pretty good job at it through his career, we have several from PT, we have gotten live albums by both No-Man and Blackfield, and we have Get All You Deserve as well as Catalogue/Preserve/Amass. Plus the live stuff on the Drive Home EP. He probably won't drop another live release until after the next studio album or so, and that's pretty much the frequency you could expect I think.

No matter how good the band/artist is, I don't think there's ever a need for a live album every tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1887 on: August 29, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »
Agreed.

Rush did one for every tour this century, but to me, that was making up for the fact that they only had three concert videos for their first 16 albums (none of which were whole shows, and two of which were only about an hour long), so I doubt anyone had a problem with that, especially since the set lists were usually radically different from tour to tour following the R30 tour (outside of the handful or so of usual suspects).

As for SW and PT, I guess I tend to be in the minority of people who think his live stuff, while good, rarely approaches the awesomeness of his studio recordings.  That's not to say I wouldn't have loved a DVD from The Raven tour (since that was like a perfect set list).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1888 on: August 29, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
I have always felt like a new live release is justified when the artist has put out enough new albums that they can do pretty much an entire different setlist for the new release compared to the previous one. It doesn't have to be 100% different, but if you drop a new live release with every tour, it's basically the same rehashed songs with some new ones. I think every 3 albums or so is a good mark for a new live release. Then you have mostly new stuff but can also throw in some of the older ones.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1889 on: August 30, 2015, 02:30:14 AM »
Well, we did get the Drive Home EP, and the stream of the LA show is still floating on the Internet, so that's better than nothing. Who knows, maybe Steven will change his mind and put together a full-length official DVD at some point?