Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370524 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1610 on: May 29, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
NYC tonight, baby!  Oh, yeah!   :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1611 on: May 29, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
Anyone who attended the last shows of the tour could comment about the new drummer and guitarist, please? I'm curious if they really match the level of Marco and Guthrie...
Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1612 on: May 29, 2015, 01:36:28 PM »
I didn't go, but I saw some videos

Craig is pretty great, and stands up to Marco pretty well actually. He's definetly better than Chad Wackerman (last tour's replacement for Marco).
Dave has a very different style from Guthrie, but he seems more into the music than Guthrie does. Then again, he didn't record his parts, so he kind of switches the solos up a bit, but nothing too shockingly different.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1613 on: May 29, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »
They were both good. The only time it was ever really noticeable that either Guthrie or Marco was missing was the solo in The Watchmaker, though that's probably Guthrie's craziest solo in Steven Wilson's discography, so I can't blame the new guy for not being able to play it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1614 on: May 29, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »
They can both hold their own. But I would lie if I said I didn't miss Guthrie and Marco.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1615 on: May 29, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
They can both hold their own. But I would lie if I said I didn't miss Guthrie and Marco.

I agree.  I think I was so jazzed when the same band was recording that it was a slight letdown finding out they would be on our leg of the tour but both guys didn't miss a beat with only 10 days of rehearsals between the change of band members.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1616 on: May 29, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1617 on: May 29, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
I haven't seen them yet, but my friend who went to the Newark show said that they were good but you could tell they were new with the band/still getting used to it. I'm hoping it will be less obvious by the time they get to Boulder  :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1618 on: May 29, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
Holy crap. I just realized that in 2001, I lived in SW's hometown (Kingston upon Thames) for several months.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1619 on: May 29, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
I haven't seen them yet, but my friend who went to the Newark show said that they were good but you could tell they were new with the band/still getting used to it. I'm hoping it will be less obvious by the time they get to Boulder  :D
I didn't think it was obvious at all. Especially the guitar player. He was pretty much flawless. The drummer was awesome, but I did still wish I got to see Marco.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1620 on: May 29, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
Just got back from the 1st NYC show. Spectacular show! I'm seeing the concept of the album in totally different light thanks to the awesome live visuals. Thought that Craig and Dave did a great job of filling in for Marco and Guthrie.

Jordan Rudess was at the show as well (as he was for the last few times SW was in NYC). At the end of the show I said hello to him and even got a picture with him.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: May 29, 2015, 09:27:45 PM »
Great show tonight! Definitely missed Marco. I love watching him perform. The highlight for me was "Sleep Together." Love FoaBP but didnt see that tour. It was pure magic live!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1622 on: May 30, 2015, 08:09:14 AM »
Going tonight  :biggrin:

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1623 on: May 31, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »
Amazing show tonight. Saw both NYC shows and personally, I thought the 2nd night was the better of the two. Crowd was more vocal and expressive 2nd night and it truly showed in the way the band's stage presence came across tonight.

That video for Routine though...man, it was a depressing song as it is, but now after seeing the video, I'm seeing the song in a different light (though just as melancholic as I saw it before) :'(

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1624 on: May 31, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »
What exactly happens in the Routine video? I've heard the song is about a mom whose husband and children were killed, but I've read many comments about the video.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1625 on: May 31, 2015, 02:56:04 AM »
There was a bit with the woman washing the dishes and bleeding into the sink, it was both terrifying and touching. But I don't remember much more, I was mostly floored by the performance and the band.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:22:07 PM by Mladen »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1626 on: May 31, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
Amazing show tonight. Saw both NYC shows and personally, I thought the 2nd night was the better of the two. Crowd was more vocal and expressive 2nd night and it truly showed in the way the band's stage presence came across tonight.

That video for Routine though...man, it was a depressing song as it is, but now after seeing the video, I'm seeing the song in a different light (though just as melancholic as I saw it before) :'(
Where we you sitting? I was talking to a guy in my row who said the same exact thing.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1627 on: May 31, 2015, 09:38:51 AM »

Where we you sitting? I was talking to a guy in my row who said the same exact thing.
Fifth row center.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1628 on: May 31, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »
I am so stoked for that live stream on the 13th.

I'm gonna have the house to myself... I think I may even reinstall my surround system and make it into an event.

Also.. I kinda burnt myself out on H.C.E... but pulled it out this morning and am listening to it... and falling in love with it all over again!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1629 on: May 31, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
Anyone else going to the Pittsburgh/Greensburg show on Tuesday?

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1630 on: May 31, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »

I was there last night but didn't go to the first show in NYC so I'm glad to hear that  :lol Did you see Jordan in the crowd? He was sitting pretty close to me and I happened to notice him a little bit before the show started.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1631 on: May 31, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
Very decent show tonight

SW was in a very good mood. Lots of smiles, and crowd interaction. Very cool and small venue. Overall a really great show.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #1632 on: May 31, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Very decent show tonight

*snip*

SW was in a very good mood. Lots of smiles, and crowd interaction. Very cool and small venue. Overall a really great show.

I was there as well and had an amazing time.  Sound was incredible, SW banter was fun, and the entire sensory experience was really impactful.  Will definitely be seeing him next time around.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1633 on: June 01, 2015, 12:11:09 AM »
There was a bit with the woman washing the dishes and bleeding into the sink, it was both terrifying and touching. But I don't remember much more, I was mostly floored by the performance and the band.
The first night, I missed the part where she bleeds into the sink as I was watching the band but the second night I saw it and had quite what they call a "fridge horror" moment seeing that. I remember after that sequence she goes back into the children's room and throwing the toys and the sequence after that was epileptic sequence showing the cutout the newspaper article of the woman's husband and children being killed. It ended with her standing in front of a tree of her house as if that was her personal grave marker for her deceased family.

I was there last night but didn't go to the first show in NYC so I'm glad to hear that  :lol Did you see Jordan in the crowd? He was sitting pretty close to me and I happened to notice him a little bit before the show started.

I didn't see him in the crowd even though I knew he was in attendance both nights. I was pretty close in the front and center and quite short so I would've had a hard time trying to look for him. :lol But the first night I saw him talking to a few fans as I was walking out of the theater and said a quick hello to him.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1634 on: June 01, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
The good news is that, I think, the stream will still be up for 24 hours of repeats after the show and I think, eventually, someone may upload the stream to youtube.

Has this been confirmed? I'll happily stay up until 3 in the morning for live SW, but I'd rather not if possible.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1635 on: June 01, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
What exactly happens in the Routine video? I've heard the song is about a mom whose husband and children were killed, but I've read many comments about the video.

I think what made the video extra depressing is the fact that it reveals that they were killed in a school shooting. Children dying is depressing enough, but having it be a school shooting that caused it is extra fucked up.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1636 on: June 02, 2015, 12:35:42 AM »
The good news is that, I think, the stream will still be up for 24 hours of repeats after the show and I think, eventually, someone may upload the stream to youtube.

Has this been confirmed? I'll happily stay up until 3 in the morning for live SW, but I'd rather not if possible.

I don't know if it has been officially confirmed, but I've seen many of these Yahoo live streams over the past year, and have caught some replays during the day after.  I don't see why this case would be any exception.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1637 on: June 02, 2015, 07:37:45 AM »

Actually, i just checked the link again, and it says 11pm ET! That i can definitely watch.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1638 on: June 08, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
I will say while HCE is my favorite Wilson album since probably Deadwing, I came away from his show with somewhat of a bitter taste in my mouth. Seemed a bit like he was trying to act deep and smart, which I've never seen him do before. We all know that he's deep and smart, I just could have done without him talking about the "poetry of melancholia" on stage.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1639 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »
I saw him twice this tour, and while I wasn't at the same show as you, I didn't get that vibe.  He explained his music and why he writes melancholy music, but it didn't seem like he was trying to be "deep and smart" as you put it.  Most people seemed to like the banter, and I think the shows would have been worse off if he just introduced songs.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1640 on: June 09, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »
Aviv Geffen, Steven Wilson & Alan Parsons
Blackfield 5 - recording session
February 2015
This was posted on the Blackfield official page a few hours ago along with a pic of them together. Is Steven back? Is he just a producer this time? The hell is Parsons doing there?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1641 on: June 09, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
Blackfield 5 warms my heart

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1642 on: June 10, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »
Holy fuuuuck, the Boulder show.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1643 on: June 10, 2015, 01:49:50 AM »
Holy fuuuuck, the Boulder show.

And holy fuuuuck, the DC show as well. It's been a couple of weeks since I saw him, and I'm still kind of digesting it all, but I really enjoyed SW this go around. A bit more than the last time I saw him, on TRTRTS tour, which makes sense given that I've become much more interested in his music these past couple years. My girlfriend cried during Routine and afterwards said that SW clearly isn't human. That he's some sort of extra terrestrial creature using music as a way to get in with the human population. Of course, as she said, he hasn't quite mastered the aging thing yet. I loved the visuals as well and was really tickled with the amount of interaction with the crowd.

Also it was really nice seeing the turnout. Last time I saw him in a smaller venue and there were a lot more people lining up before the show this time.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1644 on: June 10, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »
Yeah, this particular show was sold out and the crowd was clearly very into it. I was in the second row and the view was amazing! I cried/teared up about five times. I wasn't expecting to hear Lazarus, so that really got me (as did Routine, Ancestral, Happy Returns and Raven). The rendition of Index they did was very fucking cool, sorta had a more Insurgentes vibe to it... and speaking of, Harmony Korine was wonderful to hear. Sleep Together= badass. I was next to another woman who was super into it and we were groovin' our asses off. Watchmaker was awesome as usual... and what am I forgetting? I dunno, but it was amazing. Possibly my favorite of the five or so shows I've seen from this band. Of course there are always songs you wished you could've heard, but I really couldn't have asked for a better set. The drummer/guitarist were both great too. Not quite the same as Marco and Guthrie, but clearly very talented dudes and comfortable with the material at this point.