Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227971 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1575 on: May 15, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »
Yea, caught DTP twice last year so I didn't really miss much overall.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: May 19, 2017, 07:31:54 AM »
I think Devin is my favorite musician on social media.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1577 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:52 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

I think Devin is my favorite musician on social media.

By far.  He is engaging, funny, informative and manages to post a ton without ever being one of those musicians who is needing acceptance or praise of everything he says or does.  More than any musician out there right now, he totally gets it.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1578 on: May 22, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »
Would anyone be able to point me towards a bigger, higher quality version of this image? I keep finding ones that are just the suit, but I want the logo too that says "Epiclouder". Multiple Google image searches are turning up nothing, and I am giving up and going to bed.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: May 22, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
Would anyone be able to point me towards a bigger, higher quality version of this image? I keep finding ones that are just the suit, but I want the logo too that says "Epiclouder". Multiple Google image searches are turning up nothing, and I am giving up and going to bed.

That's because the actual artwork on the CD/vinyl is just the suit. There's no titling, so any images like this one that have titles are fanmade. If the fan didn't make it larger than 300x300, you're not going to find it!

There's one at 600x600 but it says Epicloud, no -er.

Personally, I prefer cover art without titles, so it looks mighty fine that way to me!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1580 on: May 22, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
Well dang. Guess I'll just have to leave it as is then. I did find a cool cover for the Holding Patterns bonus cd that I assume is fanmade, so I'm using that.

And apparently Hevy Devy's eBay has copies of Devlab and The Hummer, so I'm going to scoop those up.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: June 10, 2017, 02:35:52 AM »
Huh, Devin just announced a bunch of shows in August/September, and there's actually a gig in Moscow on 29th September. I'm not a big fan, but I suppose I may as well attend.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1582 on: June 13, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1583 on: June 14, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
Just watched this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDfqYlSzNs

Holy fucking shit...

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1584 on: June 15, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
I wish he would hurry up and hammer into the Moth Symphony already  >:(
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1585 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »
Just watched this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDfqYlSzNs

Holy fucking shit...

A very fitting reaction. It's an absolutely incredible performance. Much better than the album version, in my opinion.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1586 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »
God damn it, it is so fucking good.

Also that first comment.  :rollin :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

So awesome that he's that into it as well. So many motherfuckers these days just dredge through the performance and clearly aren't even into their own music or what they're doing and there's Devy with a god damn hard dick.

I love it.

And yes, fifteen million fold better than the album version both for the comradery and the performance. Also the fact I can understand the lyrics and hear his voice.  :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1587 on: June 15, 2017, 02:16:36 AM »
I still think the best version of The Death Of Music is the one from London this year. I don't know what it is, but it really seems to hit in on that performance and it's mesmerizing to watch.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1588 on: June 20, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »
Cool video of Dev and Steve Vai playing Truth with an Orchestra
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVh5eW6lwir/

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #1589 on: June 23, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
I'm going to orchestrate the ZTO theme...just in case  :biggrin:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1590 on: June 23, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
Anyone else thinks the chorus of Failure sounds really familiar? If so, do you know songs with choruses that sound like it? Just wondering where I might've heard a similar chorus before.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:18:09 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1591 on: June 24, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
Anyone else thinks the chorus of Failure sounds really familiar? If so, do you know songs with choruses that sound like it? Just wondering where I might've heard a similar chorus before.

Maybe ask reddit? I know what you mean, certain things in that song sounded so familiar when I first heard it (even more than when I heard Dream Theater's selftitled, those dejavu moments  :justjen )
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1592 on: June 25, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

So We Row - Pineapple Thief

I thought the same thing when I heard it.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1593 on: July 14, 2017, 06:32:40 AM »
Just saw on Devin's twitter that the show in the Ancient Roman Theatre in Plovdiv will be recorded and later released on BluRay. The show will have a By Request portion and the full Ocean Machine album with an orchestra.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:17 AM »
Just saw on Devin's twitter that the show in the Ancient Roman Theatre in Plovdiv will be recorded and later released on BluRay. The show will have a By Request portion and the full Ocean Machine album with an orchestra.

That's fantastic, I kind of figured that would be likely, but good to have the confirmation.  Do we have any details about how to put in the requests?  I was only just a newb fan when he did the by request setlist for the last blu-ray so I didn't participate, but I'd hope the fan base can pick some different songs than last time.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1595 on: July 14, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »
I have no idea as well, I've asked him twice on twitter but so far I haven't gotten an answer.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1596 on: July 14, 2017, 06:54:08 AM »
Last time people just commented on a Facebook post. It'll probably be the same this time.

My ideal setlist: (About 1.5 hours)
Let It Roll
Hypergeek
Triumph
Storm
Stormbending (Gotta have something to represent the new album.)
Kingdom (I'd like something different, but we all know it'll be on the setlist)
Juno
Gaia
Sky Blue
Nobody's Here
Tiny Tears
Stagnant
From the Heart

Encore:
Higher
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:21:22 AM by Metropolaris »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: July 14, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
Last time people just commented on a Facebook post. It'll probably be the same this time.

And I just went over to twitter and saw this:

We're just getting the by request thing figured out, should start on the Facebook page in the next day or two

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/885801148678123520

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1598 on: July 14, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/dvntownsend/posts/1737730122918969
Got my tickets and voted for Deadhead, Earth Day, By Your Command, Bad Devil, and Numbered.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:17:13 AM by abydos »

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1599 on: July 14, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Got my tickets and voted for Deadhead, Earth Day, By Your Command, Bad Devil, and Numbered.

I voted for Deadhead, Failure, Numbered, Deep Peace and Higher. I thought about Earth Day as well, but Deep Peace could be more interesting with an orchestra off that album.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: July 14, 2017, 11:37:36 AM »
I already forgot what I vote  :lol But I did make sure to vote for songs that weren't already on DVD and I did vote for Numbered.  That song rocks.  :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1601 on: July 14, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »

I voted for Deadhead, Failure, Numbered, Deep Peace and Higher. I thought about Earth Day as well, but Deep Peace could be more interesting with an orchestra off that album.
The By Request setlist is without the orchestra, it is only for Ocean Machine.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1602 on: July 14, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
I voted Canada, Sunday Afternoon, Noisy Pink Bubbles, Stagnant and Deep Peace.

The amount of tracks to choose from is ridiculous.

I hope he doesn't play Kingdom nor Grace nor Rejoice nor The March of the Poozers nor anything that he plays constantly and was  in almost every live album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: July 14, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »

The By Request setlist is without the orchestra, it is only for Ocean Machine.

I thought that originally, but not according to that facebook post:

As you may know the upcoming show in Plovdiv, Bulgaria this Sept 22nd will have a "By Request" set that will be played together with the Orchestra of Plovdiv State Opera. Devin has now compiled a list of tracks from which you can pick your top five favourites so please cast your votes that will determine the set list!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1604 on: July 14, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
Oh, nice. IIRC initially it was stated that it was only going to be the first set as this has always been the case for the shows with the orchestra here, but this is great news. I don't know how much time they will have to properly incorporate the orchestra with the requested songs, though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Yea, I am curious how much the orchestra is going to add to the by request set list since it's not finalized yet.  Also, the vote does have a note at the bottom essentially saying that the vote may be meaningless  :lol  I'm going to guess he already knows for the most part what he is going to play then.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1606 on: July 14, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
I'm not going and I want Suicide to be played so badly.

Make it so.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1607 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »
Dude is cutting it close. When does the voting end?

I feel like it takes some real time to not only get the orchestra to practice, but also...you know....write the orchestra parts. That, I feel, takes a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: July 14, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
Dude is cutting it close. When does the voting end?

I feel like it takes some real time to not only get the orchestra to practice, but also...you know....write the orchestra parts. That, I feel, takes a while.

Yea I totally agree.  I really think he already knows most of the songs he's playing because of this, his limited selection of choices, and the * note at the bottom. 

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1609 on: July 15, 2017, 05:09:50 AM »
NOT MIGHTY MASTURBATOR?? I REPEAT NO MIGHTY MASTURBATOR??????????

What the hell Dev  :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

Let me get this straight, you're playing this show with an ORCHESTRA and you don't do The Mighty Masturbator or even Deconstruction???????? and that one even has deliberate Stravinsky-esque moments in it   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I love you Dev, but:  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid