Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226534 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1540 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
I can never get past track 1 of Devlab. I like some weird, noisy, experimental music from time to time but I just can't get into Devlab.
The Hummer is decent background music.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1541 on: March 14, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
In Amsterdam the moshpit started with Ziltoid Goes Home and went on until the end basically (apart ftom
Ih-Ah). I hadn't done that in ages, it was fun!
Yeah, that was awesome!

The Hummer and Devlab not getting a lot of love from you guys. I love those two, even have a signed Devlab cd.
Never could get into those albums. Maybe I should try again though.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1542 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
Haven't listened to:

Terria

Fix that
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1543 on: March 14, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1544 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
I can never get past track 1 of Devlab. I like some weird, noisy, experimental music from time to time but I just can't get into Devlab.
The Hummer is decent background music.

Yeah the first couple of minutes actually seems to be there to throw people off. After that the crazy manipulated drums return maybe once or twice, but the album is full of great soundscapes, some drones and great buildups of tension with amazing releases of wonderful ambience. I like it better than most of his regular albums.

Maybe so you guys will have some guidance I'll write down my thoughts:

The album basically starts after 1:30 of crazy stuff, and gets pretty right away. Mostly electronic stuff, some layered vocals, with a hint of processed (sometimes with a very beautiful envelope filter) piano every now and then.

After minute 6 the song quiets down, and starts building up with some organ and just random noise (including stuff sounding like the intro, but way more processed, slowed down, down-pitched etc.) every now and then. When the track again seems to get ugly (intro-like), around 10:30, you get a couple of extremely low hits, slamming you back into the (again quieting down) trip.

After around 14 minutes you even get a short dance like section, swiftly swallowed by a lot of reverb and delay, only to be punched down by a incredibly heavy drone, but that quickly gets taken over by some over the top screaming, and directly back into the void.

The next 10 minutes is a buildup to some trance-like electronics. Dev seems to have experimented with this more often, but this sort of electronics rarely made it onto his albums.

From 30 minutes onward stuff gets darker. It really slows down, with some no-tempo ambient, and a sample of reversed vocals, at 35-36 minutes you slowly wake up again. Once more a deep punchy synth, and a nonsense Devin vocal should make you pay attention to the next section. The next bit is more vocal-laden, layered stuff with a lot of reverb.

From 40 minutes on one of the most beautiful parts of the album takes off. A big major chord, with sometimes shifting bass notes, with something that sounds like a movie dialogue on top of it.

Around 45 minutes one of the only clean cuts of the album happens. Although this is supposed to be one long track, this seems to be something new starting off. From 40 minutes on this has become more beautiful step by step, but this is really one of the highlights. Although it's just IV-I over and over again, played by some sequenced or arpeggiated synth, the way everything finally reaches a musical resting place is amazing. I even dare say that the beat coming in afterwards makes it too much of a song. But it is possible that that piece (around 53 minutes) will suit the regular music fan the most.

The last couple of minutes fits the 'fever dream' concept, up until the very (pretty disturbing) end.

PS. I loved reading reviews online 'there are not real keyboard or guitars on this record', 'this is not actual music', 'meaningless loud noises compiled together'
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:59:12 PM by Nihil-Morari »
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1545 on: March 18, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDaRhp1zMEc

He played the whole Ocean Machine yesterday in London. All the videos are there. Amazing.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1546 on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »
Bump

The eBook version of his autobiography, "Only Half There", is now available.
https://us.rocket88books.com/products/only-half-there-ebook

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1547 on: April 07, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »
Bump

The eBook version of his autobiography, "Only Half There", is now available.
https://us.rocket88books.com/products/only-half-there-ebook

It's also available through Amazon Kindle

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1548 on: April 07, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
Devin on Twitter last night...

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1549 on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
 :lol :heart :millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1550 on: April 29, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
Three days till I see Devin for the first time. :metal

Looks like the set last night was:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/devin-townsend-project/2017/the-glass-house-pomona-ca-3be60048.html

I'd be totally cool with that set list on Tuesday. :hat

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1551 on: April 29, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »
I'm seeing him tomorrow night. I'm tempted to look at the setlist but don't want to be disappointed if its close to the set he played last time he was here
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: April 29, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »
Im seeing him next Sunday but he's the opener.  I hope he keeps Deadhead in the set, it's the only song changed from the fall tour it seems, but I also expect like a 30 minute set so who knows.  It may just be a few new songs and a couple old so might not see much variety at all.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1553 on: April 29, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
I've been reading Devin's bio. I have read about a third of the book. Love his sincerity.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1554 on: April 30, 2017, 12:55:13 AM »
I was at the Pomona show since I won tickets, ''twas a great night as expected  :metal
Met Devy and the whole band after the show and got them to sign my Transcendence vinyl, they were all super nice  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1555 on: April 30, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
On my way there to the show. Don't think I'll make it in time for ONI
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1556 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
Fantastic show tonight!  Only a couple hundred people there, yet Devin acted all night as if he were performing to 20,000.  He's such a talent, and an even greater person; he is as genuine as it gets and is totally appreciative of every fan he has.  He's one of those guys you just love to be a fan of, and tonight the proof was in the pudding. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1557 on: May 03, 2017, 07:01:10 AM »
I forgot to mention how Devin started the show:

"Hey everybody, we're nerdy, but we're gonna play some metal for you because...BUTT SEX!" And then bam, the first song starts. :lol :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1558 on: May 03, 2017, 07:32:19 AM »
 :lol typical Devin, I'm pumped for him Sunday night.  Just wish he was the closer, not Opeth.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1559 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
As much as I love Opeth, I cannot imagine them playing after such a high energy show as the one Devin puts on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: May 03, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »
As much as I love Opeth, I cannot imagine them playing after such a high energy show as the one Devin puts on.

Well there is also Gojira between them  :lol It's one hell of a line up.  I'm actually not much of an Opeth fan.  Seen them twice with DT on prognation and really never interested me (even though everyone says they are a band I would like, they just haven't clicked for me).  Gojira I just started listening to and Magma is a sick album so I think by the time Opeth comes on, I may be dead already.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1561 on: May 03, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
LOL, never know. I am pretty wiped out after last night (which is why I took the morning off).  Then again, I am 43 now, so I tire out quicker now. :P :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1562 on: May 03, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
He stated at our show how he took 4 shits that day and said " I guess we'll be going with that."

Was a blast but he didn't play Grace.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1563 on: May 03, 2017, 08:55:35 AM »
Ditto. I am trying to avoid spoilers for those who do not want them, but the set list was basically the same as in the link I posted the other day (still on this page), minus Grace.  And the 2nd to last song in that posted set list was moved to the first encore spot.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1564 on: May 03, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
It was better that way.

Also, we sang the Fuck out of Supercrush!, which he forgot the lyrics to some parts which he was glad we knew...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1565 on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
Yep, same thing last night.  There were parts of the chorus where he walked to the front of the stage and let us all sing the lines, which we did.  :metal

And the Anneke parts in that song...I honestly could not tell if I was hearing them in my head or if they were being triggered and actually audible. :lol :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1566 on: May 03, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
They were audible at times. But I mostly heard the audience for the "Save My Soul" lines.

Also, I was a bit upset at not many of us singing along to Ih-Ah!...plus he did a quiet moment and one guy yelled something and fucked up the moment.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1567 on: May 03, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
Part of me is still slightly miffed at Devin for not bringing back Universal Flame (that is such an obvious live beast and should be a natural to play often), but the show was so dang good and he was so fun to watch that I can't stay mad at him. :metal :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1568 on: May 03, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
I almost forgot!  Their after show music, while they were waving to and high giving the crowd, was from the Police Academy movies.  The music from the gay bar The Blue Oyster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

I was nearly in tears laughing. :lol :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: May 04, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
 :lol

I tweeted this last night in prep for the concert this weekend (a short clip I took of Grace from ProgPower last fall)

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/859911896035713024

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1570 on: May 13, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1571 on: May 13, 2017, 10:10:48 PM »
I would say Secret Sciences has slowly been creeping up as my favorite song on Transcendence.  I liked it initially, but every time I go back to that album I feel like that may be the song I want to listen to the most.  And I am still glad to be one of the few to witness Offer Your Light live.  That song should be getting more live play because it's so fun and energetic.

I might be there with ya now. I've always liked it a lot, but a few recent listens made that one really stand out as my favorite from this record. 

I still like Higher a lot, but while I thought it was clearly the best song at first, the shine is off a tad. I think the chorus being so incredible is what grabbed me so hard, and I still think that chorus is bananas, but the rest of the song around it is merely good, to me that is. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1572 on: May 13, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Saw Devy at Red Rocks (with Opeth and Gojira) the other night. Was pretty amazing.

His solo on Failure has improved a ton. He was clearly a little rusty when I saw him on the initial Transcendence tour, but he nailed it this time around.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: May 14, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
That concert must have been amazing (line up + venue), I actually had to sell my ticket the day of the concert last weekend due to illness.  I was so pissed, but there was no way I could attend in my condition.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1574 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
That's a major bummer, man.  Have you at least seen him before, cramx3?

Mosh, he really does nail the Failure solo well.  He rarely solos, but when he does, it is always quite good.  I love the fact that he doesn't feel the need to throw solos into his songs just because it is what many expect.