Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 228896 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #595 on: January 18, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »
Dev said they're going into the studio in March so I'd expect it out by Fall

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #596 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
Anyone repurchased Casualties of Cool for the DVD? How is the performance.

I'd love to get that DVD, but buying the album again feels weird.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
Ordered it, still waiting for it to arrive.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #598 on: January 22, 2016, 03:23:30 AM »
Ordered it, still waiting for it to arrive.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #600 on: January 28, 2016, 05:39:35 PM »
I got out my copy of Terria over the last few days and honestly I am enjoying it more than the Astonishing. From Olives to Stagnant, I am reminded why I love Hevydevy so much  :heart  :hefdaddy
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #601 on: January 28, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
I just wish the ending of Mountain was a bit louder.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
Casualties DVD is totally mesmerizing. I wish they'd played some other stuff like "Radial Highway" but obviously they kept to stuff made with Che and it's great. She's the best part of the gig, really.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #603 on: January 28, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
After hearing Three Days again, I had the sudden urge to listen to Anti-product from SYL and fuck I love this!! One of my favourite Strapping songs, I love the brass/flute induction, love Devy!  :lol  :hefdaddy
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Onno

« Reply #604 on: January 28, 2016, 11:48:17 PM »
I listened to The New Black for the first time in a while a few days ago. Really good album apart from a few tracks. I don't really care for Antiproduct that much but it's decent. Monument is probably my least favourite song on that album, with standout tracks being Far Beyond Metal, Wrong Side, Almost Again and Polyphony/The New Black.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #605 on: January 28, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »
I listened to The New Black for the first time in a while a few days ago. Really good album apart from a few tracks. I don't really care for Antiproduct that much but it's decent. Monument is probably my least favourite song on that album, with standout tracks being Far Beyond Metal, Wrong Side, Almost Again and Polyphony/The New Black.

I love Anti-product and the ending trilogy of songs.
Good lead up to ZTO also!
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #606 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
After listening to The Astonishing 4 times now, I pulled out my copy of Sky Blue  :hefdaddy

Midnight Sun  :heart  :heart  :hefdaddy
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Onno

« Reply #607 on: January 29, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
It's almost like Sky Blue is growing on me still with every listen. Granted, there's a few tracks that I think are only decent and nothing more (probably not a coincidence, but these are the tracks that have been inspired by/are almost covers of other songs, namely Silent Militia and Sky Blue. For some reason I tend to dislike songs if they're just 'reworks' of songs by other artists). But songs like Midnight Sun, A New Reign, Rain City and Forever have all grown on me a lot.

Wow, that must have been the largest piece of text between brackets I've ever written on this forum.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #608 on: January 29, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
For some reason I tend to dislike songs if they're just 'reworks' of songs by other artists).

What about Quiet Riot off Ki, do you like that?
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Onno

« Reply #609 on: January 30, 2016, 06:05:27 AM »
Weirdly, yes, I do. I love that song. It's a cover but it sounds way different than the original, maybe that's the key. Or maybe it's the fact that the whole of Z2 has quite a few songs which are 'covers' or which are influenced heavily by other artists.

Or maybe I just have to get over it and enjoy the music  :lol I don't know, for some reason it just bugs me. If I don't know it's a cover it usually doesn't bug me, but once I learn about it, the song in question starts to feel out of place. Weird, isn't it?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: January 30, 2016, 06:10:55 AM »
That's interesting. I find the Z2 ones fit just right, but "Quiet Riot" sticks out like a sore thumb on Ki. He'd have been better off using "Synchronicity Freaks" in its place (or just going straight into "Demon League").

Offline Onno

« Reply #611 on: January 30, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
I love Quiet Riot on Ki, it's the perfect song after the climax of Ki.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: January 30, 2016, 09:57:05 AM »
I think it's because his acoustic sounds like he's playing a bag of change. :lol His guitars sound so lush and then this Wal-Mart acoustic pseudo-cover comes on. Sounds like a demo, so it doesn't fit.

"Juno" should have been on Addicted, though.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #613 on: February 05, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »
Looks like Transcendence will be a transition into heavier music again! Just read his recent twitter posts, it's exciting!!!!
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #614 on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »
Just saying guys, as someone who owns a huge music collection.

Casualties, Ziltoid and Ocean Machine are three of the greatest albums ever made

My work here is done  :metal
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #615 on: February 11, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
I still don't get what's so good about Casualties. It's incredibly boring to me, and that's coming from a guy who loves Ghost.  :justjen

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #616 on: February 11, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
dat atmosphere mang
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #617 on: February 11, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #618 on: February 11, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
Atmosphere has a lot to do with it but I genuinely enjoy the melodies and the actual sound to the songs as well, as in the production and instruments on them. Then again I am really into ambient music and really enjoy the more minimalistic side to music at times. I think CoC does that in spades and has the added bonus of having some really fantastic vocals and messages to the songs. I can totally see it being boring and I myself do find it to be boring at times, but I get that way with everything in my life if I play/watch/read/listen enough. But sometimes I just want to chill out and get away from the visceral, loud, heavy music I love and this is a perfect remedy for that. It's absolutely even more niche than his music already is though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #619 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
it's absolutely beautiful music

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #620 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
Speaking of CoC, I recently got the Live at the Union Chapel DVD. Can't wait to check it out!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #621 on: February 12, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
I still don't get what's so good about Casualties. It's incredibly boring to me, and that's coming from a guy who loves Ghost.  :justjen

I think Ghost is mostly boring too and I never understood the praise for Casualties. I decided to give it another spin recently and I kinda see where the appeal could be, it was better than I remembered and it's all about the atmosphere. But I think the album is far too long. And for me it's still near the bottom of my Devin ranking.

Would you listen to country if it was from another artist?

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Onno

« Reply #622 on: February 12, 2016, 01:38:42 AM »
Speaking of CoC, I recently got the Live at the Union Chapel DVD. Can't wait to check it out!
Do check it out. It's incredible, really.

I don't know why you don't get it either  :lol Just a difference in taste I guess. I think Casualties if one of the best albums ever made.

Just saying guys, as someone who owns a huge music collection.

Casualties, Ziltoid and Ocean Machine are three of the greatest albums ever made

Ziltoid is great, but replace it with Ki here and you're the man.

By the way, I recently started listening to Epicloud a lot again. It's a great album!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #623 on: February 12, 2016, 02:58:52 AM »
I vehemently abhor country and I love Casualties. I played it for a friend of mind who is a fucking country addict and she said that while she liked it, it certainly isn't country and is far more akin to blues and even then isn't pure blues but something different mixed in. (She has no idea what kind of music Dev is and probably doesn't even know what 'prog' is to give you an idea) I couldn't agree more though and funny enough have heard that description of it before.

CoC has slight hints of country but it is nowhere near pure country; not even close. You haven't been subjected to the horrors of true blue pure country if you think that. Bless you child. Don't find out. (Okay sorry to anyone who likes country :lol ) It's absolutely the embodiment of "Progressive Blues". I'm normally one who really hates the super ridiculous and insanely specific genre creating but this is one album that fits the name to a fucking T. I love it for that reason alone.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #624 on: February 12, 2016, 03:18:28 AM »
Not to split hairs but this is much more country than it is blues. It's not pure country but for lack of a better description it is closer to country than to any other music style, at least for me.

And I've heard a ton of country, most of it is absolutely not my cup of tea but as in almost every other genre there are gems hidden here and there.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #625 on: February 12, 2016, 06:41:05 AM »
I live in Alabama.

Casualties is not country.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #626 on: February 12, 2016, 06:51:39 AM »
Why is it that people hate country? I like a bit of it :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: February 12, 2016, 06:53:36 AM »

Country seems to be either loved or hated.  I feel like there is no middle ground with that genre.  Country isn't my thing, but I certainly can respect the genre and have heard songs that I can enjoy.  I don't understand the hatred either.

Just to add, I don't have the CoC album, but from what I heard on youtube, it's not music for me.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #628 on: February 12, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »
Why is it that people hate to admit that CoC is country/has a strong country influence? Is it not cool enough if it's country?

From his pledgemusic site: Country rock, Blues rock, Country blues (https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool)

From facebook: ... he revisited the rootsy country and North American folk music of his youth ... (https://www.facebook.com/notes/devin-townsend/casualties-of-cool-to-see-full-release-including-live-at-union-chapel-dvd/967846509954335/)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #629 on: February 12, 2016, 07:14:06 AM »

I don't hate country, at least not universally. Some of it is good. Some of it is not. But Casualties really sounds nothing like country either way.