Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226594 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2015, 08:12:17 AM »
 :metal  :metal Happy Addicted Friday!  :metal  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:50 AM »
So I watched all of The Retinal Circus DVD and I really enjoyed the Epicloud and Addicted tracks so I got those albums.  I know his music is kind of diverse.  Any recomendations being that I enjoy tracks from those albums?  It seemed they were featured the most on the DVD as well, but I liked a lot of the other songs too like War, Juular, Life, Vampira, and Colonial Boy.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »
I'd recommend you check out Accelerated Evolution next. It's kinda in the same "Progressive Pop Metal" vein as Addicted and Epicloud, though a little bit more on the metal side in some places.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »
I'd recommend you check out Accelerated Evolution next. It's kinda in the same "Progressive Pop Metal" vein as Addicted and Epicloud, though a little bit more on the metal side in some places.

This. Also his new album Sky Blue (which is part of Z2) is pretty much a continuation of the Epicloud sound, so if you liked that album you'd probably like it too.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »

This. Also his new album Sky Blue (which is part of Z2) is pretty much a continuation of the Epicloud sound, so if you liked that album you'd probably like it too.

Cool thanks, and I dont mind more metal.  The other heavy songs from Retinal Circus are good too, just the ones I listed really stick out to me.  I like the more poppy influences stuff I guess.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
Accelerated Evolution is one of my least favourites so I'm not sure I'd recommend it necessarily.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
Accelerated Evolution is one of my least favourites so I'm not sure I'd recommend it necessarily.

On the contrary, it's my favorite solo album of his prior to the DTP.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »

This.  Also, it really isn't that much like Addicted or Epicloud.  The classic Devin wall of sound is mostly non-existent, and it has that big almost-mainstream sound to it, mostly in the drums, which are more in your face than normal on a Devin record.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
...That's not coffee in that mug, is it?  :|
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
Just Dirk doing some relaxed triplets in Juular:

https://youtu.be/an66Ddp4Bks

I get cramps just by watching this!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2015, 12:44:26 AM »
So here's something I've been wondering about. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but I've recently come across some Devy interviews where he says that Sky Blue came about because the record company asked him to make that kind of album because they wanted something that would sell to make up for "an album about farting aliens". I don't really understand this though. Wasn't Ziltoid 2 highly anticipated by fans? I remember there being hype for it all the way back before Epicloud even came out. Plus Insideout is a prog label, shouldn't bloated rock operas be their bread and butter? And beyond that, at this point anything by Devin is going to sell pretty well for their standards right? I dunno, I get that Sky Blue is more accessible and those types of poppy albums from Devin have been really popular, but it just seems really odd that there was a worry about the Ziltoid thing not selling as well.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2015, 01:36:42 AM »
Given Devin's entire work ethic, I find it highly doubtful that he would make an album because a record company asked him to.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:58:58 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2015, 02:07:16 AM »
Found the interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIc5MwMeEw Check out 5:40

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2015, 02:48:14 AM »
So I listened to Z2 on my walk to work today and it's nowhere near as good as the first Ziltoid album.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
Given Devin's entire work ethic, I find it highly doubtful that he would make an album because a record company asked him to.

he did indeed. it's in most interviews he's done about the albums. apparently they asked, he tried, and he ended up having something to say, so he went through with finishing it.

So here's something I've been wondering about. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but I've recently come across some Devy interviews where he says that Sky Blue came about because the record company asked him to make that kind of album because they wanted something that would sell to make up for "an album about farting aliens". I don't really understand this though. Wasn't Ziltoid 2 highly anticipated by fans? I remember there being hype for it all the way back before Epicloud even came out. Plus Insideout is a prog label, shouldn't bloated rock operas be their bread and butter? And beyond that, at this point anything by Devin is going to sell pretty well for their standards right? I dunno, I get that Sky Blue is more accessible and those types of poppy albums from Devin have been really popular, but it just seems really odd that there was a worry about the Ziltoid thing not selling as well.  :lol

i think the issue is their ability to sell the Devin Townsend Project name. they were probably worried he was going to release Z2 as Devin Townsend or whatever and so all the branding and marketing that's built since 2009 would be dead and gone. (i can't justify their concern when his name alone is already 2/3 of the band name, though!)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »

he did indeed. it's in most interviews he's done about the albums. apparently they asked, he tried, and he ended up having something to say, so he went through with finishing it.
This is a good thing to point out. I'm sure he wouldn't release the album if it wasn't an honest effort.

i think the issue is their ability to sell the Devin Townsend Project name. they were probably worried he was going to release Z2 as Devin Townsend or whatever and so all the branding and marketing that's built since 2009 would be dead and gone. (i can't justify their concern when his name alone is already 2/3 of the band name, though!)
[/quote] Yea that could be. Still a bit odd.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
So what's the actual difference between TD vs TDP from a newb?

By the way I took the recomondations from this thread and got Accelerated Evolution which I don't find similar to Epicloud or Addicted, but I'm enjoying it after a couple listens.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
So what's the actual difference between TD vs TDP from a newb?

well, i dunno. DTP was initially just the quadrology of Ki/Addicted/Deconstruction/Ghost, but it was extended moving forward, and i think that was mostly at the suggestion of Inside Out/Century Media.

there are always going to be similarities because Devin is singing and writing the music. it's sorta like asking what's the difference between DT solo and the Devin Townsend Band (who made AE/Synchestra) — basically it just entails the same lineup of musicians are continuing to back Dev until the name gets dropped or changed.

remember: Ocean Machine was the band name!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »
Like I said, from a newb I didn't even know there was a DT vs DTB vs DTP... Seems confusing since its all DT buy I was wondering if one band has a specific sound over another.  Like how Epiccloud and Addicted have a similar sound but AE is a bit different .

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2015, 09:29:45 AM »
Nope, no difference really. Devy writes all of the music, and there's no connection in terms of genre/style/whatever. Epicloud and Addicted might sound vaguely similar, but Ghost, Ki and Deconstruction are all as different as Devy's music gets.

Like seasons said, the DTP was originally going to be those first four albums, and it was literally a project focussing on Devin Townsend, it was meant to exhibit separately four quite distinct styles/moods that make up Devy's music. Sounds like the label pushed for that name to be retained.

I've no idea about the use of the Devin Townsend Band moniker.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »
I've no idea about the use of the Devin Townsend Band moniker.

That was just for AE and Synchestra. They both have the same line-up; it was supposed to be a real band that Devin put together to record and tour his solo work. It was disbanded at the same time as SYL I believe, though several of the members are now part of his solo band (the DTP) now.

Also, apparently there's going to be a poll for a fan-request part of the upcoming Royal Albert Hall setlist in the next few days.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »
Also, apparently there's going to be a poll for a fan-request part of the upcoming Royal Albert Hall setlist in the next few days.

hopefully "Bastard" will get a lot of votes besides the usual "Earth Day" etc., but i gotta say, if he could bring back the album arrangement of "Funeral..." that would be it. i'd be satisfied. the one damn song.

the unfortunate part about fan voting is the material that gets tossed by the wayside: think anyone's gonna vote for something off Ghost? there's no way!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
Funeral would be badass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »
I'd love to hear Seventh Wave and Depth Charge  :metal .

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »
Maybe it's too much for the band (especially Ryan), but I would love to see Pandemic. If not, Suicide.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
Devin, Beav, Mike, and Dave could definitely handle it.
Ryan has to simplify Juular when he plays it live and that's only the second hardest song on Deconstruction.
Pandemic would kill the poor guy.

On a somewhat related note, who played bass on the Deconstruction night of By a Thread?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
On a somewhat related note, who played bass on the Deconstruction night of By a Thread?

the inimitable Mike Young! brother of Dave! (ex-DTB!)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2015, 07:16:58 PM »
So I listened to Z2 on my walk to work today and it's nowhere near as good as the first Ziltoid album.

Agreed.  And the first one isn't even that great!  Especially when compared to his other studio albums.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:13 PM »
Like seasons said, the DTP was originally going to be those first four albums, and it was literally a project focussing on Devin Townsend, it was meant to exhibit separately four quite distinct styles/moods that make up Devy's music. Sounds like the label pushed for that name to be retained.
I remember when Epicloud came out he said that he kept DTP because he really liked the logo. But with the whole Sky Blue thing and all I wouldn't be surprised if the label had some influence on that. It sounds like they have more of a say in Devin's career than it seemed before. Not necessarily in a bad way either, Devin seems to like that "team" aspect they've had in the recent years as opposed to him being a completely solo act.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »
Quote from: Metropolaris link=topic=42639.msg1913771#msg1913771
Pandemic would kill the poor guy.
[/quote

In the commentary of The Retinal Circus Devin says that at the end of Juular Ryan's head explodes at each show  :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »
i still can't get over how good Moon is
am I the only one or is it the general consensus that Moon is the best Casualties of Cool song

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
I read in another site that it's one of the most beautiful a guy had listened in a long time. So yeah.

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »
Like I said, from a newb I didn't even know there was a DT vs DTB vs DTP... Seems confusing since its all DT buy I was wondering if one band has a specific sound over another.  Like how Epiccloud and Addicted have a similar sound but AE is a bit different .

Screw all that. I save everything into my Media Player Library as "Devin Townsend".       Though Strapping Young Lad of course remains as "Strapping Young Lad"
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »

Screw all that. I save everything into my Media Player Library as "Devin Townsend".       Though Strapping Young Lad of course remains as "Strapping Young Lad"

That's what I do too.