Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227821 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1750 on: March 28, 2018, 06:08:56 AM »
I think whales are probably a little bigger  :corn

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1751 on: March 29, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »
I think it's pretty gorgeous!

Super excited to hear it!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1752 on: March 30, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »
I think whales are probably a little bigger  :corn

ever heard of depth? the whale is just super close and the islands are further away :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1753 on: March 30, 2018, 01:00:55 AM »
Then turtles must be huge  :corn

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1754 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:09 AM »
I mean... if all artwork had to be realistic and proportional then Picasso would be FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.

Also fuck Picasso.  ;D

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: March 30, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »
I think it's kind of cool and I can already get an idea of what kind of music that album may be (or maybe I am just making that up).  I get a feeling I may not like much of those 100 songs he's working on, but I also know there's a lot in there I will love.  Should be interesting to see how this all comes out, but he tweeted something recently that made me think he could be working on something really special:

Been many years since I’ve had complete control over my vision. No label, band, management, anything. It could be a trip up my own ass, but I feel I’ve earned that trip. I think it’s going to be tremendous.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg32CTvFJhT/

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1756 on: April 05, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/960661966028075008

The Plovdiv DVD will be called 'ERAS'

According to Dev’s Twitter, he fucked up and now ERAS is the title of the Vinyl Box Set of Ki, Addicted, Deconstruction, and Ghost.  :lol

The Ocean Machine DVD will be titled Ocean Machine - Live at the Plovdiv Ancient Theatre
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:21:26 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1758 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
Some of those are perfect. Mainly Dark Matters and Terria.

"It's nature. Shit Happens."  :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1759 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
There's a Spongebob one in the related videos too, and the Physicist bit from that one cracked me up.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1760 on: April 27, 2018, 04:10:35 AM »
On the 22nd September 2017, Devin Townsend Project played a special show at the Ancient Roman Theatre in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the landmark Ocean Machine album in full, as well as a set of fan-requested tracks alongside the Orchestra of Plovdiv State Opera. This concert was filmed, and on 6th July 2018 it will see the light of day as ‘Ocean Machine – Live at the Ancient Roman Theatre Plovdiv’.

‘Ocean Machine – Live at the Ancient Roman Theatre Plovdiv’ will be available as a limited deluxe 3CD/2DVD/Blu-Ray artbook (with liner notes from Devin and a special documentary dubbed ‘Reflecting The Chaos’ on the second DVD & Blu-Ray), Special Edition 3CD/DVD Digipak, standalone Blu-Ray and as digital audio download. Pre-order now here: https://DevinTownsendProject.lnk.to/OceanMachineLive

Devin comments: “Plovdiv and this live package represents a lot to me, it signifies the end of one era, and the celebration of another. Amidst a gruelling touring year, this show came together with much blood, sweat, and tears, and the result is the culmination of many aspects of my work on one stage.

Ocean machine was released 20 years ago, and though Marty (drums) is no longer with us, I was able to finally perform the album in its entirety with the original bassist John ‘Squid’ Harder on this night. On a cold evening in an old city in the ancient theatre, many lifelong milestones came to a conclusion on this night and I’m exceptionally proud of it.

I am currently writing, writing, and writing some more for the next stage of my life and work, and the team of individuals who contributed to this project, from the musicians in the band and orchestra, to the crews locally and with this, management, artists, filmographers and most importantly, the audience... made this night a powerful and strangely bittersweet moment I am proud to have documented with this work.

This is a very special live recording of a very special night, and I hope you enjoy it as a monument to the things that inspired it all in the first place.

Love and light,

Devin Townsend”

The full track-listing is as follows:
By Request with Orchestra
1. Truth
2. Stormbending
3. Om
4. Failure
5. By Your Command
6. Gaia
7. Deadhead
8. Canada
9. Bad Devil
10. Higher
11. A Simple Lullaby
12. Deep Peace

Ocean Machine
1. Seventh Wave
2. Life
3. Night
4. Hide Nowhere
5. Sister
6. 3 A.M.
7. Voices in the Fan
8. Greetings
9. Regulator
10. Funeral
11. Bastard
12. The Death of Music
13. Things Beyond Things

With the exception of Gaia, Canada and Deep Peace the setlist is a big MEH.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1761 on: April 27, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »
Blame the "fan select" votes....

Other than...that's awesome he's releasing it. Especially as the end to the DTP.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: April 27, 2018, 06:36:18 AM »
I don't think it was a true fan selection personally.  I don't buy that.

But the setlist doesn't look meh to me (could be better, but not terrible and fairly different than his other DVDs).  Plus the orchestra and setting, I'm really looking forward to this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1763 on: April 27, 2018, 07:31:53 AM »
I don't think it was a true fan selection personally.  I don't buy that.

But the setlist doesn't look meh to me (could be better, but not terrible and fairly different than his other DVDs).  Plus the orchestra and setting, I'm really looking forward to this.

Hence the quotes....I know darn well when bands say fan set, its just a ruse. I hate That....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1764 on: April 27, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
Preordered the limited deluxe edition. I've been looking for an excuse to spend money  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DTA

« Reply #1765 on: April 27, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
It could be truly fan selected, it's just that fans are shit at picking underplayed and rare songs. I remember that Metallica did a "fan select" tour a few years ago and while a few cities picked out some rarities, most cities chose pretty much the exact same set that the band always plays, including all the radio songs that they've played a million times. I'd choose songs that they never play for the sheer novelty of it because you know the next time they tour it'll be back to the same old shit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »
It could be truly fan selected, it's just that fans are shit at picking underplayed and rare songs. I remember that Metallica did a "fan select" tour a few years ago and while a few cities picked out some rarities, most cities chose pretty much the exact same set that the band always plays, including all the radio songs that they've played a million times. I'd choose songs that they never play for the sheer novelty of it because you know the next time they tour it'll be back to the same old shit.

Yea, but I recall when the vote was out, it was only a certain selection of songs to vote on and it came with a side note that DTP could change whatever was voted.  I think only some of the highest voted songs made it, plus you knew he was going to put the new songs on it regardless.  So I think the whole thing deserves an * personally, or just say "including fan picked songs" and not "fan picked set"

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1767 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »
Yes, it wasn't much fan selected. I remember Devin chose like 20-30 songs of his catalogue and made it into a vote. I understand he has to play songs from Transcendence to promote it, but he could have played 1 or 2 songs less from it and instead played something he hasn't played before. I really can't believe the fans chose "Om". For me, everything else would have been better.

I love Deadhead, but it is veeeery overplayed and was already played on the Royal Albert Hall. On the live Tuska DVD too. There are thousands of acoustic versions, guitar clinic versions on youtube. Unnecessary. Instead he could have opened the concert with Depth Charge, from the same album, which is a KILLER opener and has never been played before.

Bad Devil and By Your Command are ok choices. I guess it is fine they are on the set.

Higher is almost 10 minutes long and could have been easily left out and substituted for 2 older songs.

A Simple Lullaby was never played live and isn't on any official live release, but............ there are much better songs. Overall, I think it is a kind of forgettable song. Plus, it is 8 minutes long..

Truth is another overplayed song and was already played on The Retinal Circus. If he had played just Failure and Stormbending it would have been fine. All these other songs could have been replaced by better ones. And he could have played more songs, since most of those are long.

I remember the reason he limited the number of songs one could choose from is because the orchestra had to learn the parts too, which, for me, it doesn't make sense. He could have put his entire catalogue for a vote. The songs that win the most votes he could "teach" the orchestra.

Songs he could have played instead:

Noisy Pink Bubbles (It was amongst the ones up for vote, it was only played acoustically and is not in any official live release)
The Fluke or Nobody's Here or Tiny Tears or Stagnant (have never been played before as far as I know)
Depth Charge (Killer opener, never played before)
Storm (It has been played over the years, but it is not in any official live release and it is an amazing song)
Sunday Afternoon or Slow Me Down (Ok, not very popular songs, but it would be interesting)
Triumph or Pixillate (The first one was the first song he ever wrote, at least he says so in his book. MUCH better than A Simple Lullaby. Pixillate was played on By A Thread, but it is almost never played. He could have invited a female singer as guest.)
The Way Home! or Awake!! (Two amazing songs that were played once on By A Thread and then never again. The rest of Addicted was very overplayed, but not these two)
Praise The Lowered (Only played on By A Thread and then never again)
Fallout or A New Reign
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:49:04 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline DTA

« Reply #1768 on: April 28, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
That sucks about the limited fan-selection choices. Megadeth pulled that shit back in the early 00's where all the choices were songs they play constantly anyway. Why not just open up the entire catalog and go nuts? Musicians must hate relearning songs late in their careers which is why I feel like bands' setlists get less adventurous as time goes on (except Rush oddly enough, who started less adventurous and got way more interesting later on). It's easier just to stick to what's ingrained in the muscle memory.

I would love to see the songs you mention ChuckSteak, especially Nobody's Here, Tiny Tears, and Praise The Lowered. Deadhead, By Your Command, Truth, and Bad Devil are SO overplayed and even if they are someone's favorite songs, I don't know why you'd want to see them every time you go to a Devin Townsend show.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1769 on: May 12, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »
He didn't do the song that got me into DT - Earth Day, so leaving out Deadhead would have been a big no-no for me. Would have loved more stuff from Terria but while at the show I didn't feel disappointed at all, and I still don't. Keep in mind, they might be overplayed in general, but this is also the first time he's done a show there so to most people none of those songs are overplayed. Chances are most of the people there won't see him live again.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1770 on: May 12, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
Earth Day sucks live. I prefer the studio version over any other. It has so many details that are impossible to deliver live.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1771 on: May 12, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
Imo Earth Day's only good part is the intro riff. The verses and chorus are pretty samey and boring.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1772 on: May 13, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »
Earth Day sucks live. I prefer the studio version over any other. It has so many details that are impossible to deliver live.

I wouldn't say it sucks live, but it is definitely impossible top or even equal the studio version.  It's not just the little details that we don't get live, but Terria as a whole has a particular vibe and feel that it just impossible to recapture.  As much great stuff as Devin has done, that album was catching lightning in a bottle, and good luck catching that again.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1774 on: May 23, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
Yes please! https://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/devin-townsend-posts-four-teasers-of-new-music-of-varying-styles

It's amazing how one man can go between a ton of styles and still have his signature touch on all of them. Second one sounds like it's from The Moth, first and fourth sound like their probably going to go on Empath and third sounds like an SYL comeback (it's probably not, but it's pretty intense).

On a different subject, I listened to Transcendence recently and while I liked it, it feels a little disjointed. I think it doesn't help that about twelve minutes of the album are essentially recycled music. 'Truth' didn't need to be re-recorded and the 'Transdermal Celebration' cover ends the album in a sort of anti-climax, especially with that ambience that lasts for half of the song. If the album was 'Stormbending' to 'From the Heart' it'd probably be one of my favourite albums of his.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1775 on: May 23, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
The second clip is definitely my favourite. Sounds absolutely glorious.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1776 on: May 23, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
Interesting clips.  Can't wait to hear what he does with them.

On a different subject, I listened to Transcendence recently and while I liked it, it feels a little disjointed. I think it doesn't help that about twelve minutes of the album are essentially recycled music. 'Truth' didn't need to be re-recorded and the 'Transdermal Celebration' cover ends the album in a sort of anti-climax, especially with that ambience that lasts for half of the song. If the album was 'Stormbending' to 'From the Heart' it'd probably be one of my favourite albums of his.

I am not sure I can go that far, but I agree that having a better opener would have helped the album a ton.  I love the original Truth (one of my favorite Devin songs ever), but a) it didn't need to be recorded again, and b) the newer version is vastly inferior.  I think the bonus disc has enough great stuff that a great one-disc album that flowed well could have easily been made.  I still like the album quite a bit, but it just didn't wow me and never dominated my CD player like his new releases usually do.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1777 on: May 24, 2018, 01:38:16 AM »
Imo Transcendence is the strongest and most consistent Devin release start to finish. I prefer the new version of Truth (can't stand how Infinity sounds honestly) and every single song is equally strong.
Every other album has atleast two songs I'm not really keen on, that's not the case here.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1778 on: May 24, 2018, 04:36:46 AM »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1779 on: May 24, 2018, 05:08:41 AM »
Amazing mix and sound. I like that he sang the parts he usually omitted and extended the song. Shitty setlist, but TAKE MA FVCKING MONEY!  :metal :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1780 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1781 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:58 AM »
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1782 on: May 24, 2018, 08:03:37 AM »
Amazing mix and sound. I like that he sang the parts he usually omitted and extended the song. Shitty setlist, but TAKE MA FVCKING MONEY!  :metal :metal

The mix is actually the only thing that seems to be off for me. The drums are overpowering everything, especially the guitar and the strings.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1783 on: May 24, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »

The mix is actually the only thing that seems to be off for me. The drums are overpowering everything, especially the guitar and the strings.

Yea, I'd hold off judging the mix from super compressed YouTube videos, but I noticed that too. The kick drum in particular was really loud and the orchestra could have been louder. But once again, a lot of that could end up sounding better if not overly compressed on YouTube.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1784 on: June 22, 2018, 05:36:39 AM »
Regulator from the upcoming DVD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlEXMS1DRLQ