Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227889 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1715 on: February 01, 2018, 03:00:09 AM »
Weird suggestions, let me add:

Kingdom
Deadhead
Planet of the Apes
the entire Ocean Machine album
Supercrush!
Earth Day
Deep Peace
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1716 on: February 01, 2018, 05:07:31 AM »
Is it safe to admit I’ve never heard one note of his music?  :(
Listen to Terria, Ocean Machine, Accelerated Evolution, Synchestra, Addicted and Epicloud.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: February 01, 2018, 06:59:53 AM »
Just watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_u93cZJGYc

The fact that DTP is an indefinite hiatus doesn't bother me. The fact that Devin is still doing music is all I need to know. Hopefully we get another Casualties of Cool album. Perhaps some more collaborations too.

Pretty much. I have DTP listed in my files as "Devin Townsend" like his regular albums (same with tDTB and CoC) so it's just like, still getting DT albums, sound might change, cool.

Yea, I do the same.  I'm happy that Devin is able to do what he feels is in is heart for his music.  The reason why I am bummed about this is because out of all the other work he's done, DTP has been the work of his that I've enjoyed the most.  Addicted, Epicloud, and Transcendence are maybe my three favorite albums of his.  Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution being next.  I certainly will check out the music he makes though. 

Also, can't wait for the Plovdiv blu-ray. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1718 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:46 AM »
I can't say I'm nearly as disappointed by this as I thought I'd be upon initially starting to read the announcement. I think he's wrung out every ounce of individuality from the band as he could. I liked Transcendence a good bit, and some tracks I really loved, but it's clearly getting to a point where he's got a kind of waxing and waning repetitious sound. I personally don't think it's gotten boring yet, but I think it would have after the next album or two. There's only so much you can do with a certain sound unless you're willing to make a hard left turn at the genre intersection.

A great thing about Devy is that he's already done so many genre twists that him having different projects and avenues for his creative side is that no one is going to do a double-take if he does a project under yet another different band name that is completely different than what he's done before (I mean, I don't think I can be as surprised as when I heard he'd be making a country-esque album, a genre I abhor, and then being blown away again when I loved the shit out of it). If he did that with DTP, it'd be a little different.

So in reality, I don't think this is going to change things all that much aside from the touring side (which actually is kind of disappointing). I'm still really excited to hear what he comes up with next.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1719 on: February 01, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions  :tup   Looks like that’ll be a good assortment of songs to get me acquainted
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1720 on: February 01, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
Gary, avoid the Strapping Young Lad recommendation.  No need to start off with his speed metal stuff (since I am pretty sure that is not your thing).

The following songs are great starters:

Deep Peace
Bend It Like Bender
Deadhead
Kingdom (Epicloud version)
Awake
Ghost
Universal Flame
Slow Me Down
Truth
Life
Failure
Stagnant
Supercrush
Triumph
Mountaintop
Coast
Bad Devil

Some of those aren't even major favorites of mine, but I think that is good mixture of his songs and styles.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1721 on: February 01, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »
The reality of the situation is that I cant do both DTP and these other compulsions at the same time. Its simply more than I (or anybody) can afford financially. I appreciate everyones patience during all this as I feel it essential to do these other things. It was a hard choice.

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/959264134515769344

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1722 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »
In the comments below that, he also said:

Of course. If I had an extra 120k per year to keep everybody afloat while I did other things, that would be swell, but its 2018 and the industry doesn't work like it once did.

Reading between the lines, it's clear that he wants to get away from doing the kind of music where he would need those players, and because he can't expect them to just sit around waiting for him and struggling financially, he is basically ending the band so they are free to move on.  :tup :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1723 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
I remember he wasn't planning to do DTP stuff one year but ended up doing it anyway because it was a source of income for the band. I'm guessing that was the point where he was no longer doing it for artistic fulfillment.

Transcendence seems like a logical conclusion for DTP IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1724 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:55 PM »
That was a common theme in his book as well, at least as he progressed through to the latter part of the period covered by that book.   For him - and I'm not suggesting that he is unique here - there is a financial variable in a lot of what he does.  Not saying it drives the decision, but certainly it's a factor with more than a zero input. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1725 on: February 01, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »
I remember he wasn't planning to do DTP stuff one year but ended up doing it anyway because it was a source of income for the band. I'm guessing that was the point where he was no longer doing it for artistic fulfillment.

Transcendence seems like a logical conclusion for DTP IMO.

That was exactly my thought upon reading that, and yes, Transcendence is a perfect send off and while it's not my favorite DTP album, it's still really great and a good closer to that part of Devy's journey.

RIP DTP.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1726 on: February 01, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
Transcendence was OK but it felt like Devin going through the motions. While I feel bad for the musicians he's parting with, I'm taking this as being good news. I'm really looking forward to what he's got cooking right now and I feel like we're in for a similar surge of creativity that was heard in the original DTP.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1727 on: February 01, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
See, I thought Z2 (for the most part) was Dev going through the motions. While Transcendence was exactly transcendent, it felt like the full band had something to say, and that Devin was giving them a platform, if that makes any sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1728 on: February 01, 2018, 11:24:40 PM »
Well I agree that Z2 felt that way too, although Sky Blue was significantly better than Dark Matters.

I get what you mean with Transcendence. I actually prefer it to Z2, although neither would be among his best work. The fact that it feels like a full band effort is definitely one of its strong points. I just feel like it doesn't really take the DTP sound any further, which is somewhat disappointing coming from a constantly evolving artist.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1729 on: February 02, 2018, 12:04:45 AM »
Definitely didn't take DTP further as far as avenues go. It was a very familiar sound, but I do think that it was DTP refined to the sharpest the band had been in a long while.

RIP DTP.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1730 on: February 02, 2018, 01:07:40 AM »
That was a common theme in his book as well, at least as he progressed through to the latter part of the period covered by that book.   For him - and I'm not suggesting that he is unique here - there is a financial variable in a lot of what he does.  Not saying it drives the decision, but certainly it's a factor with more than a zero input. 

You mention the book here. Is that the 'Only Half There' autobiography of his? I'm considering getting that one, if it's a good read. Is it?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: February 02, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »

You mention the book here. Is that the 'Only Half There' autobiography of his? I'm considering getting that one, if it's a good read. Is it?

I thought so.  It's a little scattered, and I can't tell if he's really that deep or pretending (he seems to veer between deep, tortured artist contemplation and raw, fuck-it, frat boy tomfoolery) but it's certainly inciteful.  I didn't like him at all after hearing his work with Vai, but then some kind soul sent me "Deep Peace" live in London in a recent roulette and it was (I think) the highest scoring song in the entire roulette.  It REALLY struck a chord.   I went and listened to a couple songs from the newest album as well.  So I've probably heard maybe 10 of his songs? I read it from that frame of reference...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: February 02, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »

I thought so.  It's a little scattered, and I can't tell if he's really that deep or pretending (he seems to veer between deep, tortured artist contemplation and raw, fuck-it, frat boy tomfoolery) but it's certainly inciteful.

I haven't read it, but knowing what I know about him, that description seems like it could be spot on.  I'd say there's no pretending.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1733 on: February 02, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »

I thought so.  It's a little scattered, and I can't tell if he's really that deep or pretending (he seems to veer between deep, tortured artist contemplation and raw, fuck-it, frat boy tomfoolery) but it's certainly inciteful.

I haven't read it, but knowing what I know about him, that description seems like it could be spot on.  I'd say there's no pretending.
I read it, and it's quite good. There is no pretending.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1734 on: February 02, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »
I’m considering getting in. The part of me that’s hesitating is the part that’s been trying to read the Pink Floyd buography dor the last half year with a Porcupine Tree biography on the shelf as well.
Squ

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1735 on: February 02, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »
My introduction to Devin was the song Storm. Still my favorite song of his. Got it on a free sampler from InsideOut when the EU DT fanclub was still a thing  :rollin

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1736 on: February 04, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »

I thought so.  It's a little scattered, and I can't tell if he's really that deep or pretending (he seems to veer between deep, tortured artist contemplation and raw, fuck-it, frat boy tomfoolery) but it's certainly inciteful.  I didn't like him at all after hearing his work with Vai, but then some kind soul sent me "Deep Peace" live in London in a recent roulette and it was (I think) the highest scoring song in the entire roulette.  It REALLY struck a chord.   I went and listened to a couple songs from the newest album as well.  So I've probably heard maybe 10 of his songs? I read it from that frame of reference...

Bless their heart. :angel: They probably deserve a medal or something.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: February 05, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »

Bless their heart. :angel: They probably deserve a medal or something.  ;D

Haha.  It is one of about three or four songs from that roulette that really resonated with me.  I thank them deeply.  :)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: February 05, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/960661966028075008

The Plovdiv DVD will be called 'ERAS'

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:23:21 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1739 on: February 05, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
I am actually really happy that the DTP is on hold, Dev shouldn't stay tied to anything and I know he hated the rut that the label was trying to get him in (do Epicloud again! do Epicloud again! do Epicloud again!, and so on)

Plus, Dev is always most creative when in a fresh space - which he appears to be finally getting now.

I've loved most of the post-OG Project albums (when it became a band after Ghost), in addition to the OG four albums but by the release of Transcendence -  half of the album felt a bit stale to me (though I loved the second disk more).

Conclusion:
We're hopefully dealing with a situation like back in 2006, before wrote Ziltoid. Meaning, that he might release a few things that sound like nothing he's ever done before?  :metal

I'm still impatient for The Moth though...  :censored
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1740 on: February 07, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
I didn't care for most of Z2 and Transcendence, but 'Failure' was my favorite Devin track in a while. I thought the rest of Transcendence didn't live up to that track at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1741 on: February 07, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »
Ki is my favourite Devin Townsend album
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1742 on: February 07, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
Ki is my favourite Devin Townsend album

Ki is one of those "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" records.  None of the songs are ones I randomly listen to on their own (even though there are certainly some great songs here), but whenever I listen to the whole thing, its greatness just shines through. :hat

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: February 25, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
Dev mentioned another album he's working on entitled "Thank You"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfoJ1_6lxet/  (Read the comments)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1744 on: February 25, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
It seems there will be quite a few releases coming. Looking forward to it. I hope he releases something this year besides the live album.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1745 on: February 25, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
It's our biiiiiiirth fuckin' day!

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: March 09, 2018, 01:03:50 PM »
RVP's got a new project in the works featuring Beav on Guitar and Byron Stroud(from Strapping Young Lad) on Bass.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHD5Otg6iB/?taken-by=ryanvanpoederooyen

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1747 on: March 27, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
HYPE!!!

https://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/devin-townsend-to-hit-the-studio-tomorrow-has-100-songs-of-varying-styles-written

Devin Townsend announced earlier this year that he'd be putting The Devin Townsend Project to temporary rest, and would instead be focusing on varying new projects.

While we're still not 100% sure exactly what he'll be putting out musically in the coming months (and maybe years), we now know that we'll be hearing some of it pretty soon! Townsend has taken to Twitter to talk about some of the new stuff he's been working on and how it's pretty all over the board in terms of genres.

All we know for sure is that drummer and Casualties Of Cool collaborator Morgan Ågren is involved with the studio work. He also changed his Twitter profile picture to the artwork for his coming album Empath, which Townsend has been talking about for a while now and seemed to originally want to put out under the Devin Townsend Project name.

Well keep you posted as we know more!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1748 on: March 28, 2018, 04:08:50 AM »
Always glad to hear more Devin, but damn that cover is ugly, and definitely not how islands work :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1749 on: March 28, 2018, 04:30:00 AM »
yes it is, you heathen
Squ