Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226553 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1470 on: February 17, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
Universal Flame seems like a natural live beast; I am stunned that is not a live mainstay.  Yeah, it would need backing tracks for Anneke and the chorus, but so what?

Just like the blu ray from RAH.  That's a fantastic song and I agree.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1471 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
Universal Flame seems like a natural live beast; I am stunned that is not a live mainstay.  Yeah, it would need backing tracks for Anneke and the chorus, but so what?

It's also a very simple song to play (guitar-wise) and engages the audience a lot. He uses backing tracks for like half of the vocals on Planet Of The Apes so I don't see the problem in that either. I'd really prefer this song to be a live staple instead of a few others. I'd love to see it!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1472 on: February 17, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
We can only hope.  It is impossible for me to watch the RAH performance of it without smiling.  Same goes for Little Pig from the Retinal Circus.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1473 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
Ziltoid Goes Home was the only song that I would've taken off the set last year. Rejoice is a great song, so I didn't mind it live. I'd like to hear other songs from Sky Blue too though. March of the Poozers is awesome live, I don't mind that staying.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1474 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »
I saw him a week ago and it was so fun, I was smiling the whole time because his smile is so addicting :biggrin: (You could say I was... Addicted! :lhk:)
The only song that was kinda boring to me was Planet of the Apes but I never got into Deconstruction so what do I know. I would happily trade it for one or two more songs off the latest.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1475 on: February 18, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
Planet of the Apes makes sense because they're touring with BTBAM, and Tommy(the singer for BTBAM) sings guest vocals on the track. But from what I hear they're just using backing tracks for that section. What a wasted opportunity.  :facepalm:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1476 on: February 18, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
I was fully prepared to see DTP because TYS is opening, but the Philly show on Saturday and NJ show on Sunday overlap with the dates I'll be in Gettysburg for RoSfest. Sad panda.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1477 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
Planet of the Apes makes sense because they're touring with BTBAM, and Tommy(the singer for BTBAM) sings guest vocals on the track. But from what I hear they're just using backing tracks for that section. What a wasted opportunity.  :facepalm:

Actually it's really good because Tommy was terrible live tbh. Couldn't hear him well and when I did it sounded pretty bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1478 on: February 18, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
I don't dislike Planet of the Apes by any means, but it's not even close to being a favorite of mine.  I can probably name 100 Devin songs I prefer. :lol :lol

Tickets have been purchased for the St Louis show. :metal :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1479 on: February 22, 2017, 03:49:13 PM »
My tickets for Devin came today  :metal

Getting psyched for this now, I will be mainly listening to Hevy Devy and Leprous for the next few weeks  :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1480 on: February 22, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
I've listening to a lot of Devin in the last week.

I have a whole new appreciation for Acceleration Evolution, which I've always liked a lot, but never considered it that great. And I was reminded that Sky Blue really is pretty fantastic.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1481 on: February 22, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »

I have a whole new appreciation for Acceleration Evolution, which I've always liked a lot, but never considered it that great. And I was reminded that Sky Blue really is pretty fantastic.

I love Accelerated Evolution, but Sky Blue is a bit meh to me. Not bad by any means, with some great songs, but just feels very phoned in at times (which he admitted it kind of was).

I hope to develop some deeper appreciation for Teria though one day. Still can't stand that album outside of Earth Day and Deep Peace.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1482 on: February 22, 2017, 07:35:21 PM »
I hope to develop some deeper appreciation for Teria though one day. Still can't stand that album outside of Earth Day and Deep Peace.

Thank you.

Accelerated Evolution is a mixed bag for me. I used to love the album, but I kinda overplayed it and find the songs really boring nowadays, even Deadhead.
Sky Blue on the other hand I adore. Would definitely make my top 5 Devin albums. Rejoice is the only song on the entire album I'm not really keen on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1483 on: February 22, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »
I listened to Universal Flame through Rain City the other night in the car when it was just getting dark out and it was kinda ugly out (not quite rainy, but not a sunny day at all)...and it was most awesome.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1484 on: February 23, 2017, 12:16:13 AM »
Accelerated Evolution is just great, probably top 3 Devin record for me.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: February 23, 2017, 04:05:33 AM »
I listened to Universal Flame through Rain City the other night in the car when it was just getting dark out and it was kinda ugly out (not quite rainy, but not a sunny day at all)...and it was most awesome.

The first time I heard Rain City, I was listening to Sky Blue for the first time on my headphones walking through a cloudy and damp Amsterdam.  The song is forever engrained in my mind of that walk through the city that day.  Crazy how that works.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1486 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
When I first heard it, I couldn't get into Rain City at all, but over time, it's become my favourite on the album. Something about the atmosphere that that song creates is so unlike everything else that Devin has done that I really enjoy it. However, overall, Sky Blue is an album that I rarely come back to - there's a few really great songs here (Universal Flame, Rain City, Before We Die), but there's also a couple of songs that I don't care for at all (Rejoice, Sky Blue) so it often falls to the wayside when I'm in a Devin mood.

In other Devin news, Transcendence has held up really well. Still not a huge fan of Transdermal Celebration and Stars, but the rest of the album is top notch. Offer Your Light, Secret Sciences and Higher are some of my favourite Devin songs at the moment. The bonus disc is also really good and definitely something that I'd recommend to anyone - Gump and Monkeymind I probably prefer to anything on the main album aside from the three songs that I named earlier. If you switch them in for Stars and Transdermal Celebration, then the main album might even make my Top 5 Devin albums or at least come mightily close, and that's no small thing.

Terria is still the best them though, and I highly doubt that that will ever change (though I'd of course love to be proven wrong on that one).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1487 on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
I would say Secret Sciences has slowly been creeping up as my favorite song on Transcendence.  I liked it initially, but every time I go back to that album I feel like that may be the song I want to listen to the most.  And I am still glad to be one of the few to witness Offer Your Light live.  That song should be getting more live play because it's so fun and energetic.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1488 on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Secret Sciences is probably my least favourite on the album. I find the main riff pretty annoying to listen to unfortunately.
Higher is definitely getting better with each listen though, it's very slowly growing on me.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1489 on: February 23, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
I love Secret Sciences. Would love to see it on the upcoming tour.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1490 on: February 23, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
My opinion on Transcendence has stayed about the same.  I like it a lot, bonus songs and all, but I don't love it.  It never really owned my CD player like new Devin CDs often do. Whenever I listen to it, it sounds great, but it's just not something I reach for much at all, for whatever reason.  Ocean Machine is similar in that regard.

The first time I heard Rain City, I was listening to Sky Blue for the first time on my headphones walking through a cloudy and damp Amsterdam.  The song is forever engrained in my mind of that walk through the city that day.  Crazy how that works.

That sounds pretty awesome.  :hat

Online Adami

« Reply #1491 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:37 PM »
I feel similarly about Transcendence.

The only thing that drags it down for me are (a large amount of) Devy's vocals. Musically it's just amazing, but a good amount of the vocals just don't feel inspired anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1492 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »
I am utterly baffled at the lack of usage of Anneke on it.  What was the point of having her on an album again if she was going to do mostly background stuff?  The lead stuff like Offer Your Light is pretty sparse.  I know, it's the Devin Townsend Project, not the Devin & Anneke Project, but not utilizing her fully seemed like a lost opportunity.  Fortunately, we have Addicted, Epicloud and Sky Blue for plenty of Devin/Anneke shared goodness already, but the lack of Anneke in a lead role on this record was just a bit disappointing. 

But yeah, I hadn't really thought of it, but Devin's vocals don't seem as awesome as this record as usual.  I can usually point to a thousand awesome Devin vocal moments on every CD, but off the top of my head, none are coming to mind from this one.  Weird.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1493 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

I remember when it first came out, I thought Sky Blue was really good, but not great. I listened to it for the first time in while just recently and I was struck by how... boring the album was. A couple of good songs, but it just lacked any sort of energy. In hindsight, I think I was just comparing it too much to Z2 at the time, which is an album that I'm not that fond of.

I am utterly baffled at the lack of usage of Anneke on it.  What was the point of having her on an album again if she was going to do mostly background stuff?  The lead stuff like Offer Your Light is pretty sparse.  I know, it's the Devin Townsend Project, not the Devin & Anneke Project, but not utilizing her fully seemed like a lost opportunity.  Fortunately, we have Addicted, Epicloud and Sky Blue for plenty of Devin/Anneke shared goodness already, but the lack of Anneke in a lead role on this record was just a bit disappointing. 
I thought it was a nice change actually. I know lots of people love Anneke, but I didn't want yet another Addicted/Epicloud clone in the vein of Sky Blue. I'm glad Transcendence is just a little bit different and I'm not sure it would've been if Anneke had a more prominent role.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1494 on: February 23, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
I think Sky Blue is definitely his least intense metal record, but I don't think it's boring or lacking in energy; it just seems a bit more streamlined and accessible, which I don't think it is a bad thing.  I think it's an album you could give to a non-fan and convert them pretty easily, if they dig metal.  As incredible as Addicted is, and somewhat accessible, too, that one would be a tougher sell at first to a new fan, simply because his vocals in the first two songs, by and large, are all screaming ones.  Sky Blue, by Devin's metal standards, is an easy and effortless listen.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1495 on: February 23, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
Stormbending and Failure have amazing vocals. The rest of the songs are kinda eh in the vocal department, I'll give you that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1496 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
What can I say?  Devin has spoiled us. :metal

Celestial Signals and Time Overload are both about as good as anything from the main disc.

Online Adami

« Reply #1497 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »

Celestial Signals and Time Overload are both about as good as anything from the main disc.

Oh man, Time Overlord is an awesome song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1498 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
I love it.

I think MonkeyMind might be the wankiest song he's ever done...and I love it.

And even though the chorus is a blatant ripoff of CCR's Travelin' Band, Canucklehead is tons of fun.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1499 on: February 23, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
I think Sky Blue is definitely his least intense metal record, but I don't think it's boring or lacking in energy; it just seems a bit more streamlined and accessible, which I don't think it is a bad thing.  I think it's an album you could give to a non-fan and convert them pretty easily, if they dig metal.  As incredible as Addicted is, and somewhat accessible, too, that one would be a tougher sell at first to a new fan, simply because his vocals in the first two songs, by and large, are all screaming ones.  Sky Blue, by Devin's metal standards, is an easy and effortless listen.
That's fair. I don't agree, but that's a fair assessment. :)

By boring I mean that, aside from a few standout songs, it just kinda runs together for me.

Oh man, Time Overlord is an awesome song.
Time Overload is easily my favorite song on the bonus disc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1500 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
I know what you mean about much of it running together, but I think in this case, that works in its favor.  It has a nice flow and some of the songs are just nice, catchy metal tunes that might not stand out, but make for a nice flow when listening from start to finish.  But I get why others might not see it that way.  :)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1501 on: February 23, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
Yea I was happy with Anneke's involvement on this album. Love her voice but it didn't seem like any of the music required her in more of a lead role. Having her for background stuff as texture worked great. And the few lead parts she has (namely Secret Sciences) are awesome.

I remember when it first came out, I thought Sky Blue was really good, but not great. I listened to it for the first time in while just recently and I was struck by how... boring the album was. A couple of good songs, but it just lacked any sort of energy. In hindsight, I think I was just comparing it too much to Z2 at the time, which is an album that I'm not that fond of.

I'm with you on this one. They really are two different albums. Once I finally realized that and stopped forcing myself to listen to Sky Blue and Dark Matters together, I found myself going back to Sky Blue a lot more. I haven't revisited Dark Matters in a very long time.

At first I was kinda meh on Transcendence, but something about it kept me coming back. A grower but a really solid album IMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: February 24, 2017, 07:42:26 AM »
I also with for more Anneke, but I think Devin's vocals in Higher are pretty awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1503 on: February 25, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
The songs I am getting the most mileage out of it from Transcendence are:

Stormbending
Failure
Secret Sciences
Higher
Offer Your Light
Gump
Celestial Signals
Support the Cause
Time Overload
Victim
Monkeymind
Canucklehead
Loud

I need to condense that into a good running order.  It always sound weird kicking off my listen to of the album when Stormbending and that intro that is already going (since I never listen to that vastly inferior version of Truth).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1504 on: February 25, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »
I'd just switch Stormbending and Failure. If Truth wasn't on the album I'd want that to be the opener.

Also am I the only one who prefers this version of Truth? I can't stand Infinity's production. It's the main reason why I don't like the album.