Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227574 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1435 on: January 24, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
Yeah I was disappointed to see her form a new band. After that TG reunion show I was kind of expecting her to go back with them to do that type of music parallel to her more mellow solo stuff.

Why? It was a huge reunion show. I don't know why you think she'd be more likely to return than the dude singer, their background singer, their old bassists or guitarists.

Also, if you want more mellow stuff from her, I really suggest checking out her album Verloren Verleden, with Árstíðir. Amazing beautiful mellow folksy stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1436 on: January 24, 2017, 11:32:53 PM »
Because of the way she talked about the experience after, and these things tend to happen like Halford and JP, was hoping it would rekindle something between them and given how TG has toured far less since she left it might have been a good time for a full reunion.
That and as cool as most of her stuff has been since, nothing comes quite close to the awesomeness of TG's albums. Not only in terms of music but her singing too, it was far more unique then as opposed to somewhat generic now.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1437 on: January 24, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »
Because of the way she talked about the experience after, and these things tend to happen like Halford and JP, was hoping it would rekindle something between them and given how TG has toured far less since she left it might have been a good time for a full reunion.
That and as cool as most of her stuff has been since, nothing comes quite close to the awesomeness of TG's albums. Not only in terms of music but her singing too, it was far more unique then as opposed to somewhat generic now.

Yea, I definitely put her The Gathering stuff above her solo stuff. I personally hope she explores a sound similar to Souvenirs, though it's unlikely.

However, I'm really happy with the direction The Gathering are taking with their new singer, so I'm cool with the band being as is (though I wish their bassist hadn't left).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.exe
« Reply #1438 on: January 26, 2017, 08:49:17 AM »
In addition to the Bulgaria show later this year, Devin will be playing Ocean Machine in its entirety in London on March 17th.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/devin-townsend/devin-townsend-project-to-play-ocean-machine-in-full-at-londons-hammersmith-apol/1368868316518817

Awesome for European fans, but when is he gonna bring this show to the US? 

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1439 on: January 26, 2017, 09:52:21 PM »
Quick thought: Colonial Boy is a really underrated song. Easily the best song on Infinity, love everything about it, memorable and beautiful melodies.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1440 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
I've been waiting for this to be released since some of it was filmed by Zim on Dev's tour....

2 nerdy Canadians ramping themselves up... Dev on Talk is Jericho podcast. Pretty hilarious! :lol

https://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=593&pid=1706184

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1441 on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
Worth a listen indeed.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1442 on: February 05, 2017, 06:49:14 AM »
How many of you guys have read Devin's book and what did you think about it?

I'll admit I was a little disappointed, I think Dev is a fascinating, intelligent bloke with a really good outlook on life (I mean, I think it's quite similar to mine). The book was good but I had hoped for more. I have watched loads of interviews and I love how he goes off on tangents and talks about what he is thinking and his view on certain things. I was hoping for more of that, I must say. I mean, I'm sure a lot of people liked the approach he took, I know it's an autobiography and it is expected that he will cover his life story, up to this point. I was hoping that would be like the first half of the book and then we would get the rambling musings of the man. I know that when he gives interviews he may ramble on and actually end up saying things he regrets, or could be taken out of context maybe, and that with a book he can edit out all that sort of thing. But that to me is where all the best bits are, for me, I like his unfiltered, stream of consciousness kind of interviews. All in all that is a difficult thing to put into a book, I liked him explaining where his head was at through certain stages of his life but there was a bit too much of just explaining what was happening at the time (and not enough of his thoughts at the time, or after). With all the drug use there is a good chance that he doesn't remember a great deal of certain periods in his life  :lol but that's just my two cents.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: February 05, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »
The book was good but I had hoped for more.

This is exactly my reaction. I love the background about the disastrous Ocean Machine mixing and his concept behind Infinity, but he stops short of going through every album song by song in depth, which is exactly what I was hoping he'd get into. I know he's done production commentaries so maybe he'd rather just talk that stuff out rather than write it into coherent sentences. So I guess that's really what I want is the full hour per album of Dev sitting in his car and recording into his little Zoom doohickey, reminiscing as each song goes. He's done super short Physicist (all lyrics though) and Terria commentaries, so hopefully at some point he does 'real' ones like he did for the DTP albums.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.exe
« Reply #1444 on: February 12, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »
The Strapping Young Lad album City turned 20 yesterday :metal :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1445 on: February 12, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »
As much as I love Devy I absolutely can't stand Strapping Young Lad. I never even got through one entire song.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1446 on: February 15, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »
As much as I love Devy I absolutely can't stand Strapping Young Lad. I never even got through one entire song.

You might like the later stuff. The New Black is pretty similar to the typical Devin sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1447 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
Dates announced today.

Devin is coming to St Louis in May.

I will finally get to see him.

It's a good day.

:metal :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1448 on: February 15, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
Can't wait to see Devy today. The fact that Planet of the Apes is in the setlist makes me giddy like a little girl.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1449 on: February 15, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »
I'm so excited for that Red Rocks show. I bought tickets for Opeth before DTP was even announced. Didn't think I could be more excited before that.  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1450 on: February 16, 2017, 01:14:39 AM »
Dates announced today.

Devin is coming to St Louis in May.

I will finally get to see him.

It's a good day.

:metal :metal
maybe i'll schedule an excuse to go home that week & catch him, heh
doesn't look like he's coming to WA this year unfortunately

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »
I'm so excited for that Red Rocks show. I bought tickets for Opeth before DTP was even announced. Didn't think I could be more excited before that.  :metal

Crazy how this tour is playing Red Rocks and then playing a small venue here in NJ.  I plan on going.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1452 on: February 16, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Is Red Rocks his biggest show to date with DTP?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »
Is Red Rocks his biggest show to date with DTP?

Nah, he's the opener, but Red Rocks is a solid venue good sized venue (and I meant that compared to the Starland ballroom where that same tour is playing for me, a 2.5k capactity vs 9.5k capacity).  I don't know the answer, but I'd think maybe the Royal Albert Hall show (little over 5k)?  I mean if we are just talking any show then probably a festival, but when people talk about biggest show, they typically mean biggest headlining show.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1454 on: February 16, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
Oops I meant to say biggest show in the USA, regardless of whether he's the opener or not. I'm sure he has played a lot of much bigger shows in Europe.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1455 on: February 16, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
Fuck me hard in the poophole guys. I'm so happy he's coming here again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1456 on: February 16, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
Looking at his current set lists, damn, he is playing Suicide?  Nice.  I hope he chucks the Z2 songs and Planet of the Apes by the time he tours in May, but I'm thrilled just to finally be seeing him. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: February 17, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Looking at his current set lists, damn, he is playing Suicide?  Nice.  I hope he chucks the Z2 songs and Planet of the Apes by the time he tours in May, but I'm thrilled just to finally be seeing him. :metal

Agreed.  Give me more of his older stuff and not Z2. I was cool with that last tour leg since I hadn't seen him before, but now I want some more variety.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.exe
« Reply #1458 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:38 AM »
Poozers, Ziltoid Goes Home, and Rejoice have been played to death. Both times I've seen him he's played all 3 of those songs.
Poozers and ZGH are kinda fun in a live setting, but Rejoice is very boring. Most of Sky Blue hasn't been played live, I don't know why he insists on playing the worst song from that album constantly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:05 AM »
Yea, I really wish he would perform the song Sky Blue personally.  Im obsessed with it, but I'm guessing that album is Anneke heavy and maybe it doesn't make sense to perform those songs without her?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.exe
« Reply #1460 on: February 17, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »
Yea, I really wish he would perform the song Sky Blue personally.  Im obsessed with it, but I'm guessing that album is Anneke heavy and maybe it doesn't make sense to perform those songs without her?

Well so is most of Addicted and Epicloud and that hasn't stopped him

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: February 17, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »

Well so is most of Addicted and Epicloud and that hasn't stopped him

True, but those albums seem to be held in higher regards than Sky Blue by both the fans and probably himself too so he may not want to overload his set with Anneke songs.  I'm just guessing here honestly, I want more sky blue live personally.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1462 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
I want less Rejoice live honestly. Saw it live two times now even though I can't stand the song.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1463 on: February 17, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »
I'm hoping for a more varied set as well. He played 5 songs that weren't Z2 songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »
I'm hoping for a more varied set as well. He played 5 songs that weren't Z2 songs.

I'd also like more of the new stuff.  Transcendence is great, it would be cool if he played some of the other songs off it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1465 on: February 17, 2017, 10:05:28 AM »
Yup...just bought my ticket. Hooray for love...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1466 on: February 17, 2017, 05:10:22 PM »

Agreed.  Give me more of his older stuff and not Z2. I was cool with that last tour leg since I hadn't seen him before, but now I want some more variety.

To clarify, when I said chuck the Z2 songs, I meant the Dark Matters ones, not the ones from Sky Blue.  I'd be fine with Rejoice, even if I like many songs from it more.  I can see the appeal of March of the Poozers live, but Ziltoid Goes Home is such a generic, bland metal tune; that's a waste of six minutes.  If nothing else, it might give me a piss break. :lol :biggrin:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1467 on: February 17, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »
Ziltoid Goes Home was amazing live honestly. Really enjoyed that one. It's fun to see the entire crowd sing the chorus along with Devy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: February 17, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
Ziltoid Goes Home was amazing live honestly. Really enjoyed that one. It's fun to see the entire crowd sing the chorus along with Devy.

I enjoyed it as well, it's a pretty hardcore song with a sing along chorus, but Dev's catalogue is so deep that I'd rather see something else.

Also Kev, I'm with you, I'm down for more Sky Blue.  Rejoice is a cool song IMO, but saw it twice, like the above, the catalogue is too good to keep playing these songs.  It's not like they are commercial hits to appease his fan base.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1469 on: February 17, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
Universal Flame seems like a natural live beast; I am stunned that is not a live mainstay.  Yeah, it would need backing tracks for Anneke and the chorus, but so what?