Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227920 times)

Offline Basekick

"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1331 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »

That is fucking BAD ASS!!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1332 on: October 14, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Stunning video. One of the best I've seen in a while.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1333 on: October 14, 2016, 04:52:50 PM »
Very cool video. Devin is the man. :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1334 on: October 14, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »
gonna be at studio seven shortly getting HYPE

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1335 on: October 14, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
I'm on the front rail of the balcony in my dude sweater!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1336 on: October 15, 2016, 01:46:59 AM »
never went up to the balcony tbh but
show was good
devin is so good

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1337 on: October 20, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzvs3xgSg0

I wish he played it more often. Amazing song and voice.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1338 on: October 20, 2016, 01:21:17 AM »
Oh yes. That song is the perfect ending to Infinity for me.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1339 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:40 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1340 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:58 AM »
https://m.facebook.com/dvntownsend/photos/a.175020189189978.40890.134347786590552/1373787185979933/?type=3&fs=5

Anyone else seen this??  :omg: :omg: :omg:

Playing Ocean Machine in it's entirety possibly???

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1341 on: October 21, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised, the fans are loud about their appreciation for the album and Devin seems to enjoy playing stuff from it.

Not that big of a deal though, he already played the deep cuts from that album recently.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1342 on: October 21, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
I'd pay good money to see Ocean Machine in its entirety live

I mean. Funeral AND The Death of Music (among all the other great stuff) ???? yeah

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1343 on: October 21, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
He's been vocal about this symphonic project but I doubt it will be about Ocean Machine. That amphitheater is in Plovdiv, Bulgaria btw.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1344 on: October 21, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
At the Meet and Greet last month, I asked him if he any plans for the 20th Anniversary of Ocean Machine and he said(I'm paraphrasing here), "Cake. And maybe a one-off show in Spain. Probably not a full tour for it though."

Glad it's becoming reality. I expect this will be filmed for a Live Album/Blu-Ray later on. It'll probably be with the DTP but if it's possible, I'd like to see him reunite the old Ocean Machine band from the early 90's.

And as much as I love Devin's goofiness and banter between song, I'd like to see this album done like the Ghost night of By Thread; all the way through with little to no audience interaction.
Ocean Machine has an amazing atmosphere to it and it'll be interesting to see how they pull it off live. Especially the middle section of the album: Sister/3 A.M./Voices in the Fan/Greetings. We know they can pull off the the holy trinity live(Funeral/Bastard/The Death of Music) and the rest of the album(Seventh Wave/Life/Night/Regulator) has been played live regularly except for Hide Nowhere and Thing Beyond Things.

He's been vocal about this symphonic project but I doubt it will be about Ocean Machine. That amphitheater is in Plovdiv, Bulgaria btw.

Then explain the Ocean Machine logo on the picture :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: October 21, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
What's more interesting than the album live (to me at least since a lot of OM was covered from the previous tours) is that venue.  Looks amazing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1346 on: October 21, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »

My bad, didn't realize it until now! It still seems weird he's doing it in Plovdiv, of all places. He's not that popular in Bulgaria, from what I've gathered.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1347 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1348 on: October 23, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »

My bad, didn't realize it until now! It still seems weird he's doing it in Plovdiv, of all places. He's not that popular in Bulgaria, from what I've gathered.

The odds it seems like a concert film then? It wouldn't make sense otherwise, would it?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1349 on: October 24, 2016, 01:37:53 AM »
If it's gonna be a concert film of Ocean Machine live with an Orchestra in Plovdiv I'm gonna be over the moon. That would be insane.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: October 24, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
If it's gonna be a concert film of Ocean Machine live with an Orchestra in Plovdiv I'm gonna be over the moon. That would be insane.

The official FB posted a followup today. It's OM live, plus by request set, in this venue, backed by an orchestra. No word on filming but they'd be stupid not to.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1351 on: October 24, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
I guess I should finally become familiar with Ocean Machine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1352 on: October 24, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
Meh. This metal band + orchestra thing is incredibly overrated.
And I don't like OM that much except for the last few songs. Plus all the good songs off the album were on the last DVD.

I'd be happier if he played Transcendence front-to-back + a by request set that didn't have any songs from the Royal Albert Hall DVD.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1353 on: October 24, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »
I'm so tempted to try and get tickets for this. Looks like I could get return flights pretty cheap. I've always wanted to go to Bulgaria and this is as good a reason as any  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1354 on: October 24, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »
And I don't like OM that much except for the last few songs. Plus all the good songs off the album were on the last DVD.

I'd be happier if he played Transcendence front-to-back + a by request set that didn't have any songs from the Royal Albert Hall DVD.

I dunno, when it's done right the band+orchestra thing works perfectly. OM is my favourite album by Dev and I wasn't at The Royal Albert Hall (I've seen the show of course but it's nowhere near the same as actually being there) so this would be worth all the money for me.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1355 on: October 24, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
I will hate him if he doesn't film it for a DVD.  ;D

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #1356 on: October 24, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
I want it to be set 1: Ocean Machine
Set 2: The orchestra playing The Moth, DTP not involved (like Zappa)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1357 on: October 24, 2016, 08:05:07 PM »

It's music. So why should it matter.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1358 on: October 24, 2016, 08:37:34 PM »

I dunno, when it's done right the band+orchestra thing works perfectly. OM is my favourite album by Dev and I wasn't at The Royal Albert Hall (I've seen the show of course but it's nowhere near the same as actually being there) so this would be worth all the money for me.

I personally don't think orchestra + rock/metal band has ever been pulled off well. I honestly think it's a waste of an orchestras time to simply be playing chords behind a band. I know people will hate this opinion, but I feel strongly about that.

The times Dream Theater have used a backing orchestra is no exception for me either, sorry to say
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1359 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
Orchestra can be hit or miss, I actually think the bands with lower budgets end up pulling it off better. I was very impressed with the orchestrations on the live tracks Opeth included on their latest album.

Ocean Machine with an orchestra was a bit of a head scratcher for me though. Why not Deconstruction? Regardless, as long as some care is put into the arrangements I'm sure it will be cool. Looking forward to it!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1360 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
I'm so tempted to try and get tickets for this. Looks like I could get return flights pretty cheap. I've always wanted to go to Bulgaria and this is as good a reason as any  :metal

Go for it, dude. This is very likely a once in a lifetime event, and if you've got the means to pull it off, why not?

Nothing sucks more than looking back on things in life and saying "I wish I had".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: October 25, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
This whole concert sounds pretty awesome.

Orchestra + metal = awesomeness IMO.  I haven't heard any concert like this that I didn't like.  Sure some are better than others, but I'd rather take the orchestral spin than just the album itself since we have live versions of a lot of that album anymore.

Besides hoping for a blu-ray (which is just stupid if they didn't record this) I really hope the by request setlist is very different than RAH, not because those song choices were bad, but because we already have them on video now.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1362 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »

Yeah, I think it will be cool to have different takes on the songs, as well. I do agree with the others who have said the concept has been hit or miss,
but I think Devy will be one of those who gets it right. I envision him being so "involved" with it that it just can't fail.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1363 on: October 25, 2016, 03:16:46 PM »
The "By Request Set" wasn't really 100% by request. He had been playing Night, Namaste and Heatwave during the tour and I don't think fans really wanted to see those songs rather than others.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1364 on: October 25, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »

I personally don't think orchestra + rock/metal band has ever been pulled off well. I honestly think it's a waste of an orchestras time to simply be playing chords behind a band. I know people will hate this opinion, but I feel strongly about that.

The times Dream Theater have used a backing orchestra is no exception for me either, sorry to say

Why would it be an orchestras waste of time?  Music is music and an orchestra helps.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD