Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226490 times)

Offline adace

Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1295 on: September 26, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
If anyone's curious, the Japanese bonus tracks for Transcendence have surfaced:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqMs_zMJwksLyyFwXbPhSAxNsN-Kd0RsM
Thanks! Wolves is awesome.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1296 on: September 28, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
Man, I came to love this record! As usual Devin delivers what I need in my life at this specific moment, I don't know how he does that. Any of you guys following the online tour documentary? It's so fun.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: September 28, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »
Yea the tour docs are great.  I have only seen a couple, but its really well done.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1298 on: September 28, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »
Stupid question, but the scream at the end of Intronaut's Habitual Levitations album is for sure a callback to Devin right?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1299 on: September 29, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »
Anybody catching the Vegas show next saturday?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1300 on: September 30, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »
Headliner in Austin tonight  :metal

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1301 on: September 30, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »

Shit, I may be heading to Vegas sometime before the end of the year. I've already seen him, but Devin and Vegas sounds like the ultimate
combination.

Also, I'm totally digging "Farther On" from the bonus disc. I've always been a sucker for Lydian mode based songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: September 30, 2016, 08:00:27 AM »
Devin and Vegas sounds like the ultimate
combination.

That it does.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1303 on: October 05, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »
Got my copy of Dev's book today, anyone else got theirs?

Definitely diving into this bad boy asap. Can't find the track list for the album, Iceland, that came with it. Anyone know what's on it? I think it's just acoustic recordings of old songs.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1304 on: October 05, 2016, 11:56:08 AM »
Wikipedia Fact or Fiction with Dev
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ZdpLSUrTU

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1305 on: October 05, 2016, 09:11:58 PM »
Got my copy of Dev's book today, anyone else got theirs?

Definitely diving into this bad boy asap. Can't find the track list for the album, Iceland, that came with it. Anyone know what's on it? I think it's just acoustic recordings of old songs.

Can't wait! I really just want to find out if I'm in the book. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: October 06, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1307 on: October 06, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »
Will his book be available on any other website? I am just interested in the book, nothing else. Don't want to pay 35 pounds + delivery for a book.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1308 on: October 06, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »

:tup

Oh, and unless I am mistaken, wasn't there supposed to be an official video released for one of the songs from the new album by now?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: October 06, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »

:tup

Oh, and unless I am mistaken, wasn't there supposed to be an official video released for one of the songs from the new album by now?

"Stormbending" was filmed against green screens a few weeks ago,  so it's gonna be a while until the post-production is finished.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1310 on: October 09, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
Devin in Vegas was awesome. His set was so much fun. Great choice of songs and by the time it ended I felt like he was just getting started. I'm very rarely left wanting more at concerts, usually an hour or 90 minutes per band is enough for me unless it's an evening with deal. The guy is an excellent entertainer too. He's funny but also you can sense a genuine appreciation toward the audience. A top class performer. He also took the time to shake everyone's hands in the front as well as chat a little. Really gracious guy.

He didn't rely on the backing tracks nearly as much as he does on the DVDs. Either that or I didn't notice it, the backing tracks that were there were mixed pretty low. It was also reasonable stuff too, like Anneke's vocals. I get more annoyed when a lead guitar part is played by a track or one of the lead vocals. But there was none of that. If you're like me and you've been reluctant to see him live for this reason, I recommend checking it out anyway. It's no secret around here that his live shows are a lot of fun, but it still exceeded my expectations. Definitely going to keep seeing him whenever he's in town.

BTBAM were awesome too btw. Their show gave me chills. BTBAM+DTP was the perfect package too. The former were very visceral. No audience interaction, it was all intensely focused on the music. Very DT-esque in that regard. But with DTP there was a lot more entertainment value. Even if you weren't a fan you could go to the show and have a great time. It was a cool contrast and I enjoyed getting a taste of both worlds last night.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1311 on: October 11, 2016, 02:08:48 AM »
I've been catching up with the DTP tour videos on YouTube and they are GREAT! I love Devin, his band, his crew (Lisa  :heart). They are just the whole package, humble, gratuitous, talented, no egos, no bullshit. I respect the hell out of Devin and his approach to playing metal. There's no bravado or macho bullshit. It's ok to play insanely heavy music then still act like a goof, dance like a Dad and make fart jokes. There are a lot of bands that could learn a lot. Also a lot of people in life in general.

I've always had a similar view to Devin in that to be "metal" you don't have to have dress a certain way or act a certain way. If you want to go to a metal gig dressed in casual clothes and dance like you are at a pop concert then that's fine. You shouldn't be made to feel any less a part of it, or like you shouldn't be there. Dev gets that and that's why he appeals to so many.

I guess people just associate themselves with a scene/culture and anything that makes them feel it less "hardcore" than it should be, in their head, scares them.

I guess I'm going off on a tangent. I just love Devin, I'm reading his autobiography at the moment and he's gaining more respect and love from me every day right now. I actually hope I can get to meet him in March. I'm not usually bothered about meeting band members but I'd love to discuss loads of world issues and views on characteristics of human behavior with him. Anyway, I digress again.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1312 on: October 11, 2016, 03:49:07 AM »
I've been catching up with the DTP tour videos on YouTube and they are GREAT! I love Devin, his band, his crew (Lisa  :heart). They are just the whole package, humble, gratuitous, talented, no egos, no bullshit. I respect the hell out of Devin and his approach to playing metal. There's no bravado or macho bullshit. It's ok to play insanely heavy music then still act like a goof, dance like a Dad and make fart jokes. There are a lot of bands that could learn a lot. Also a lot of people in life in general.

I've always had a similar view to Devin in that to be "metal" you don't have to have dress a certain way or act a certain way. If you want to go to a metal gig dressed in casual clothes and dance like you are at a pop concert then that's fine. You shouldn't be made to feel any less a part of it, or like you shouldn't be there. Dev gets that and that's why he appeals to so many.

I guess people just associate themselves with a scene/culture and anything that makes them feel it less "hardcore" than it should be, in their head, scares them.

I guess I'm going off on a tangent. I just love Devin, I'm reading his autobiography at the moment and he's gaining more respect and love from me every day right now. I actually hope I can get to meet him in March. I'm not usually bothered about meeting band members but I'd love to discuss loads of world issues and views on characteristics of human behavior with him. Anyway, I digress again.

The one thing that struck me about him when I met him last month was the fact that he went way beyond just a handshake, signing an autograph, and giving a quick "thank you" to any praise that was given. He actually conversed with everyone and asked them questions about themselves. I'm not gonna lie, I did also enjoy watching Lisa help load up the gear in her tiny shorts. I love her voice, too.

I've seen damn near everyone and their brothers in concert over the years, but this show stood out the most. The crowd was one of the liveliest and happiest I've ever seen. It was more than a concert. It was a party.

I just watched the "Walls of Jericho" vlog, too. Devin stopped the show for a frame of bowling. Fucking hilarious.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1313 on: October 11, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »

I agree with all of this. Can't wait to get the autobiography, I just got an email saying it's being shipped  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:06 AM »
To add to the above, one thing I noticed when I saw DTP in NYC was before they came on, the band themselves were on stage setting up their instruments.  With the help of the crew, but I saw everyone but Devin himself on stage before they performed.  You don't see that with bands.  I think that helps make them humble and much more down to earth, because they are doing it all themselves. 

Also with regards to the youtube videos.  It amazes me what a low budget band can produce.  The youtube videos are great and very well done.  Devin's last two blu-rays (Retinal Circus and RAH) are amazing.  The guy has some serious love for the music and it shows.

And having met him, he is 100% genuine and seems very interested in what you have to say.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1315 on: October 11, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
Never seems to amaze me how a fucking cool guy Devin is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-iLIozUrHs

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1316 on: October 12, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
I think you guys will get a laugh out of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQIu0KIDZR8
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1317 on: October 12, 2016, 11:12:32 AM »
I still haven't listened to Transcendence. Is it worth it?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1318 on: October 12, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
Yeah. It's not as good as Terria or OM, but it's miles ahead of Z², both sides. I'd definitely get the two-disc edition though, I like both the main album and the bonus disc pretty equally.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: October 12, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »

Is this even a question?  :omg: But seriously, yea, I really dig it.  Haven't listened to any bonus songs myself so no comment on that from me.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1320 on: October 12, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »

It's really great. Vocals are a bit weak, but I think it's his best since Ghost.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1321 on: October 12, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »
Really good album, still growing on me but I could see it being the best since Ghost for me as well. Feels like a return to form after Z2.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1322 on: October 12, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
I'm loving Transcendence, but I'll say that it's taken some time to really sink in and for me to actually start to love some songs. The only thing that hit me right off the bat was the production and some melodies here and there. Also +1 for the bonus disc love; another album where I've listened more to the bonus disc than the main part of the album. Which is fine, more than fine, it's awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1323 on: October 12, 2016, 07:44:30 PM »
The only Dev album that didn't need to grow on me was Addicted. Even at his most accessible, I need a few listens to start to love it. Right now I'm really digging Secret Sciences.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1324 on: October 12, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »
Transcendence is my overall favorite since Deconstruction and I've enjoyed pretty much all of his work.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #1325 on: October 14, 2016, 03:08:19 AM »
Transcendence is to start recording within a week!!!  (insert appropriate meme)  :yarr

It's been a while since I was last here. Now the symphony is upon us.
As described by Devin himself, it's a "cock symphony"  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1326 on: October 14, 2016, 04:33:44 AM »
I'm loving Transcendence, but I'll say that it's taken some time to really sink in and for me to actually start to love some songs. The only thing that hit me right off the bat was the production and some melodies here and there. Also +1 for the bonus disc love; another album where I've listened more to the bonus disc than the main part of the album. Which is fine, more than fine, it's awesome.

At this point I feel like I actually like the bonus disk more than the main album!! It's so bloody good.

And, I've said it before on this thread but I'll say it again, the one-two punch of Monkey Mind/Canucklehead is just brilliant. Listening to it as I type  :metal

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1327 on: October 14, 2016, 04:44:53 AM »

At this point I feel like I actually like the bonus disk more than the main album!! It's so bloody good.

And, I've said it before on this thread but I'll say it again, the one-two punch of Monkey Mind/Canucklehead is just brilliant. Listening to it as I type  :metal

I love the 2nd disk more than the main album too (same thing with Epiclouder)
Though the main album has started growing on me a bit.  :tup
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1328 on: October 14, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1329 on: October 14, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
I must admit I've not seen a massive amount of Dev's music videos but that is easily the best I've seen. Really cool actually. Can't wait to hear my friends tepid reactions when I show them this  :loser: