Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 228909 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #1085 on: August 23, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
Funny is I was watching the recent Docs. and a video I saw of the funniest dev. Moments....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1086 on: August 23, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »
Hahaha....

OMG. I'm laughing my ass off at the first minute. They are such awesome dudes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1087 on: August 23, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
For anyone who didn't really like Failure as a song: It definitely works better in context with the album, coming down dynamically after the HUGE opening statement that is Truth+Stormbending. 

Holy FUCK what an intro O_O

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1088 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
For anyone who didn't really like Failure as a song: It definitely works better in context with the album, coming down dynamically after the HUGE opening statement that is Truth+Stormbending. 

I didn't think I could be any more pumped for this album but now I am!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1089 on: August 24, 2016, 08:41:44 AM »

I'm one of those who doesn't understand this concept. I either like a song on its own or I don't. I liked "Failure" from the very first listen. I gave the album another listen last night, and it's just amazing from start to finish.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: August 24, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »

I'm one of those who doesn't understand this concept. I either like a song on its own or I don't. I liked "Failure" from the very first listen. I gave the album another listen last night, and it's just amazing from start to finish.

I agree about "Failure," but you really don't think album context can totally change a song? I mean, maybe you like listening to "Sister" on its own, but I'd say the Ocean Machine context completely and irrevocably alters the impression it leaves. I do agree to the extent that if it's a full, 'proper' song (like "Sister" is not), it shouldn't make a huge difference, but a difference should exist nonetheless. It can be an issue of masterful pacing – like the fact that "Bastard," a piece of brilliance alone, is surrounded by "Funeral" and "The Death of Music," and connected to them with perfect transitions to create a deep and engaging half hour of unforgettable context – or simply that an otherwise 'meh' piece of music is better when related to a song next to it in a sort of 'moon reflecting the sun's glow' way, like the underrated "Down and Under" following the majestic mountain "Canada." When we're talking about a guy who sequences albums to flow in specific ways that tell (what he sees as) a narrative, the context sometimes makes or breaks single songs (see "Divine").

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1091 on: August 24, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »

I agree about "Failure," but you really don't think album context can totally change a song? I mean, maybe you like listening to "Sister" on its own, but I'd say the Ocean Machine context completely and irrevocably alters the impression it leaves. I do agree to the extent that if it's a full, 'proper' song (like "Sister" is not), it shouldn't make a huge difference, but a difference should exist nonetheless. It can be an issue of masterful pacing – like the fact that "Bastard," a piece of brilliance alone, is surrounded by "Funeral" and "The Death of Music," and connected to them with perfect transitions to create a deep and engaging half hour of unforgettable context – or simply that an otherwise 'meh' piece of music is better when related to a song next to it in a sort of 'moon reflecting the sun's glow' way, like the underrated "Down and Under" following the majestic mountain "Canada." When we're talking about a guy who sequences albums to flow in specific ways that tell (what he sees as) a narrative, the context sometimes makes or breaks single songs (see "Divine").

Welp, you explained that WAY better than I ever could have.  :lol

But to put it a little simpler in regards to how I feel about Failure specifically:
That intro riff just sounds more pleasing to the ear when it's coming off of the ending to Stormbending, and that cool dynamic instrumental section, in my opinion, is way better when heard 12 minutes and 28 seconds into the album as opposed to 2 minutes and 15 seconds into the song. In that context, the flow of the music and the dynamics are just more satisfying to listen to.

I know that's kind of a silly way to look at music, but some of us are just wired differently.  :P

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1092 on: August 26, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Seems like life is all dynamics.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1093 on: August 26, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »
So I caved in and listened to the leak. I'm gonna listen to it a few more times before I give any kind of review.

I will say that the Truth redo does nothing for me. It's a great song but I don't think the few changes they made(production aside) warrant a rerecord. I think a new instrumental piece would have been a better choice to open the album. It also doesn't need that ending verse (May you learn to live without fear etc.). It kills the momentum and instead should go right into the intro of Stormbending.
The drums do sound fantastic though all through the album. I think this album may be my favorite RVP performance.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:03:42 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1094 on: August 27, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
I've only listened to it twice (will still buy the version with the extra disc when it comes out), but I have to agree regarding Truth; that doesn't come close to the awesomeness of the original, which, IMO, is a top 5 Devin tune.  I thought the Hallelujah section was going to be bananas with Anneke singing it, but while the original sounded like Devin screaming it while total chaos was going on around him, he toned down the intensity about 10 notches during that section this time, and it lost a lot of punch.  I also agree that the long fadeout seemed kind of weird. Basically, I will stick with the original version, and for me, Transcendence will begin with Stormbearing, which seems like a pretty great song so far. :coolio

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1095 on: August 27, 2016, 11:55:46 AM »
I liked the remake of Truth. I prefer it to the original.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1096 on: August 27, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »
So according to https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282141566286 <- this product posting on eBay, the second disc of the special edition is called "Pulsing Patterns"? I think that's what it says. I can't quite make out the text, but if so then that's pretty cool. Another Epiclouder situation it seems. Hopefully the tracks are of similar production quality to the main album  :)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1097 on: August 27, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
Yea, I hope the tracks are as good as they are on Epiclouder.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1098 on: August 27, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »
I liked the remake of Truth. I prefer it to the original.

The original has shit production so this one is obviously better to me.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1099 on: August 27, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
So according to https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282141566286 <- this product posting on eBay, the second disc of the special edition is called "Pulsing Patterns"? I think that's what it says. I can't quite make out the text, but if so then that's pretty cool. Another Epiclouder situation it seems. Hopefully the tracks are of similar production quality to the main album  :)

It's "Holding Patterns", although, funny enough, I think I like the sound of "Pulsing Patterns" better.

I gave the album another listen today, and it continues to get better. One minor gripe is the lyrics to "From the Heart". You absolutely can NOT use the line
"have I told you lately?...." without having a Van Morrison (or Rod Stewart, I suppose) flashback.

This last time listening to it, I noticed it's mostly a I-IV progression in C, so I started singing Modern English's "Melt With You" (which utilizes the same progression, but much faster tempo) over it. Kinda neat.  :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1100 on: August 27, 2016, 09:02:17 PM »
The original has shit production so this one is obviously better to me.
Dunno, I've always felt all of Infinity songs sounded great.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1101 on: August 27, 2016, 09:03:53 PM »
okay i love infinity but the production is a really blatant weak point on the album

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1102 on: August 27, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »
Yea Infinity sounds really bad.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1103 on: August 28, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »
It's one of the reasons I don't like Infinity. I feel that the songs are ranging from pretty good to great but it's just such a chore to listen to. I never spin it anymore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1104 on: August 28, 2016, 07:01:35 AM »
I think you guys are crazy.  :biggrin: 

Infinity sounds great.  Okay, I get that it might be too much for some, but it's supposed to sound the way it does.  I always say that it sounds like Broadway metal on crack.  Those piles and piles of layers are necessary.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1105 on: August 28, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Those piles and piles of layers are necessary.

If you want to make the record sound like a muddy mess then definitely.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1106 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
You know....he's basically RE-releasing Infinity, but slowly.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1107 on: August 28, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
Those piles and piles of layers are necessary.

If you want to make the record sound like a muddy mess then definitely.
Agreed. I like most of the songs on Infinity, but the production is a definite low-point.

I think you guys are crazy.  :biggrin: 

Infinity sounds great.  Okay, I get that it might be too much for some, but it's supposed to sound the way it does.  I always say that it sounds like Broadway metal on crack.  Those piles and piles of layers are necessary.
Just because something is supposed to sound some way, does not mean that it ultimately ends up sounding good. Devin may have been going for a wall of sound type thing but he ended up with a sloppy wall of mud.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1108 on: August 28, 2016, 09:12:22 AM »
I get why it bothers some, and I probably wouldn't like that type of sound most of the time, but in the case of Infinity, I think it just works.  The wall of sound with a thousand layers is part of the charm of it.  Plus, it still manages to have a warm and organic sound, despite the many layers.  To each his own.  :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: August 28, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
Add me to the group that doesn't understand the remake of Truth, sure it's pretty good and sounds better on this album... but why not a new tune?  I guess better than nothing at all.  Anyway, it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of this album.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1110 on: August 28, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
That bass drop though is pretty killer.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1111 on: August 28, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »
I'm not sure I'm convinced that Infinity was meant to sound that way. It sounds like an amateur producing job from Devin and he was probably aiming for more than what he was capable of doing at the time, given his more limited knowledge.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1112 on: August 28, 2016, 11:01:13 AM »
I think Accelerated Evolution is the first Dev album that actually sounds good. All the albums before that sound extremely muddy to me.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1113 on: August 28, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »
I think in general all Dev's records sound muddy, the vocals sound unclear as if he is in singing in the closet or from 1km distance. No wonder that his voice sounds really pure and fresh live. A shame, really, he's probably my favorite vocalist. He has an amazing voice.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1114 on: August 28, 2016, 03:10:54 PM »
I've never had a problem with the production on any of Dev's albums. Then again, I'm not really picky with regards to production, anyway, but still - I'm actually quite happy about the fact that I can often still enjoy albums that other people can't.

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1115 on: August 28, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
I've never had a problem with the production on any of Dev's albums. Then again, I'm not really picky with regards to production, anyway, but still - I'm actually quite happy about the fact that I can often still enjoy albums that other people can't.
One can still get enjoyment out of something whilst admitting it's not perfect.

I think in general all Dev's records sound muddy, the vocals sound unclear as if he is in singing in the closet or from 1km distance. No wonder that his voice sounds really pure and fresh live. A shame, really, he's probably my favorite vocalist. He has an amazing voice.
I'm about 50/50 on Devy's production style. I think the weird production/sound on Ocean Machine kinda lends to its charm a bit while the muddy wall of sound on Infinity is a detractor. Ki, Accelerated Evolution, Ghost, and Alien all sound pretty great while the production on Physicist (of course), Infinity, Addicted, and Sky Blue just don't work for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1116 on: August 28, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
Ocean Machine sounds fine, Terria sounds fine. Infinity sounds kinda bleh and Physicist sounds awful  :lol
No real complaints about any Devy production job other than those two honestly.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1117 on: August 28, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »

True. I should have said that I'm glad that what other people perceive as lacking in production doesn't lessen my enjoyment in the way that it does so for other people.

Anyway. I finally got around to listening to Transcendence and it's pretty awesome. The first and the last track don't really add much in my opinion, but the middle of the album is just super cool. Highlights for me include Stormbending, Secret Sciences, Higher and Offer Your Light. I'll have to give the album a couple more spins to say it for sure, but first impressions have been very positive.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1118 on: August 28, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
Ocean Machine sounds fine, Terria sounds fine. Infinity sounds kinda bleh and Physicist sounds awful  :lol
No real complaints about any Devy production job other than those two honestly.

I honestly have a hard time with Terria because of the production. I also have major issues with Z2 and Epicloud, but mostly due to the drums sounding like bad drum machines (which oddly I don't have an issue with on Ziltoid).

However the two songs I've heard from the new one sound incredible, so I'm not worried.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »

True. I should have said that I'm glad that what other people perceive as lacking in production doesn't lessen my enjoyment in the way that it does so for other people.

Anyway. I finally got around to listening to Transcendence and it's pretty awesome. The first and the last track don't really add much in my opinion, but the middle of the album is just super cool. Highlights for me include Stormbending, Secret Sciences, Higher and Offer Your Light. I'll have to give the album a couple more spins to say it for sure, but first impressions have been very positive.

Offer Your Light has kind of a power metal and More! sound to it and I love it.