Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439084 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3745 on: December 31, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
Visions is their more DT sounding album, so it's clearly good :lol :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3746 on: December 31, 2019, 04:40:01 PM »
Seriously, anyone, whenever you decide to listen to a band for the first time, give it a couple of goes before you even declare that you've done so. Saves U-turns like this, which happen frequently amongst many people.

I just finished a listen through The Mountain and I don't really get it.

I actually gave the mountain a spin again and I did enjoy it more. I've taken to the later half of the album at lot more than the first half.

It is impossible for anyone to form a solid opinion on just one listen. I have frequently found albums a bit meh on first listen, only for that to change as I get used to the music.

I usually don't give albums multiple spins if they don't click with me but with Haken there was a lot going on in that album plus a lot of praise coming from the forum I figured to give it another go.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3747 on: January 10, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
Just saw that HAKEN will be playing a one off show in St. Louis while on tour with Townsend on March 18. Pretty sweet considering we were going to make the trip to Nashville to see them. Now it just became a lot cheaper night.

My boys are really in to HAKEN and they’re my middle sons favorite band. So, we may do some tour bus stalking after the show that night to try and see if we can meet any of them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3748 on: January 10, 2020, 12:55:23 PM »
That's pretty sweet  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3749 on: January 10, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »
Just saw that HAKEN will be playing a one off show in St. Louis while on tour with Townsend on March 18. Pretty sweet considering we were going to make the trip to Nashville to see them. Now it just became a lot cheaper night.

My boys are really in to HAKEN and they’re my middle sons favorite band. So, we may do some tour bus stalking after the show that night to try and see if we can meet any of them.

I heard about that, although it looks like a show by themselves (with no Devin).  The place where they are playing is a hole in the wall in a part of the city I try to avoid. Okay, I try to avoid all of the city. :lol :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3750 on: January 10, 2020, 03:32:43 PM »

I heard about that, although it looks like a show by themselves (with no Devin).  The place where they are playing is a hole in the wall in a part of the city I try to avoid. Okay, I try to avoid all of the city. :lol :lol

But, on the off chance you had a far off visitor coming in for the show, surely you'd make the point to be there?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3751 on: January 10, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »

But, on the off chance you had a far off visitor coming in for the show, surely you'd make the point to be there?

Of course!  Not that I wouldn't go anyway, although those concerts during the week are rough for us old guys. :P

You coming to town??

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3752 on: January 10, 2020, 04:02:55 PM »

Of course!  Not that I wouldn't go anyway, although those concerts during the week are rough for us old guys. :P

You coming to town??

It being during the week is the only thing not making it automatic. I'll hopefully make a determination within a week or so. If I did it would unfortunately probably be flying in Wednesday morning, seeing some sights in the afternoon, seeing the show in the evening, and flying back out Thursday.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3753 on: January 10, 2020, 06:35:57 PM »

It being during the week is the only thing not making it automatic. I'll hopefully make a determination within a week or so. If I did it would unfortunately probably be flying in Wednesday morning, seeing some sights in the afternoon, seeing the show in the evening, and flying back out Thursday.

Would be cool to see ya there! Keep us posted.  :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3754 on: January 14, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »

Dude....if you do make the trip make sure to PM me.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3755 on: January 14, 2020, 08:53:09 PM »
I'm likely going to make a trip out of the St. Louis and/or Louisiana headlining shows.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3756 on: January 14, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »
I'm likely going to make a trip out of the St. Louis and/or Louisiana headlining shows.

Gimme a shout if you do

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3757 on: January 15, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
Same here. Would be cool to see a bunch of us DTF'ers at the same show here in STL. :hat

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3758 on: January 20, 2020, 09:48:45 PM »
Jumping in here to give some random Haken musings (can't think of a site that would appreciate it more).

I had a random urge to listen to Haken after largely being off them lately (also Spock's, I feel a general prog phase coming on). Anyway, I ended up listening to Vector and Affinity back-to-back, which was an interesting experience. On one hand, I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by Affinity when it came out, but I had it on constant rotation for at least a year. On the other hand, Vector came out right as I was starting college and as a result I didn't have time for more than a couple listens (although I did see them on the tour and it was awesome). Regardless, Vector left a great first impression, and while I didn't listen to it many times I found it immediately had a lot going for it. Also keeping in mind that both of these albums are living in the shadow of The Mountain, which may very well be my album of the decade.

With that context in mind, listening to the two albums back to back was really ear-opening in that Vector really gets right where Affinity kinda misses the mark for me. The back half of Affinity kinda falls apart, the only song that sticks with me is Endless Knot and while Earthrise is OK, I find Red Giant and Bound By Gravity extremely tedious.

I saw a lot of complaints online about Vector being too short, but it feels the perfect length. Each song packs a punch and they leave you satisfied. I also somehow feel that there's a lot more musical content and variety in the shorter amount of time than the entire Affinity. The band also feels more energized. I'm not sure where it sits in the discography, but I could see it coming close to my second favorite. It's really hard to compare their current work to the pre-Mountain era though. 

Affinity would've benefited as a 45ish minute album as well I think. Replace Initiate with Endless Knot and then lose everything after The Architect and you have a pretty excellent album. 1985 is the one song that I think will stick in the upper echelon of their catalog. The album kinda has that sophomore slump vibe, where they just put out an instant classic masterpiece and now are under pressure to follow up. With that being said though, I could easily see this turning into an Images & Words vs Awake situation where there are some fans who feel really favorable toward one or the other. I also thought maybe the underwhelmed feeling I got from Affinity was due to The Mountain being too amazing to followup, but I think after having some time since both albums and also Vector since then, I can safely say that it's just not for me.

Anyway, really excited to go back further and listen to The Mountain again. It's been a long while. I'm also excited for the Devin Townsend tour!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3759 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »
I need to go back and listen to Vector again.   Maybe I was just burnt on Haken when it came out.  (I had been glutting on them for about 2 years when that album finally came out).

But we are completely at odd about Bound By Gravity.    I'll admit that the "set up" takes awhile, but the climax is one of the most "goosebump moments" in my entire music collection.     The long set up is worth the payoff.   It's literally (to me) like when you have hours with the Mrs, and there's no rush, and you've decided that the foreplay alone is going to be going on for several hours.   

....when the payoff happens, you go to another planet, and by the time it's done, you are surprised to find yourself on the physical planet and actually in a room of a house....much less one that you're familiar with.   

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?    :angel: :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3760 on: January 21, 2020, 04:57:44 AM »

But we are completely at odd about Bound By Gravity.    I'll admit that the "set up" takes awhile, but the climax is one of the most "goosebump moments" in my entire music collection.     The long set up is worth the payoff.   It's literally (to me) like when you have hours with the Mrs, and there's no rush, and you've decided that the foreplay alone is going to be going on for several hours.   

....when the payoff happens, you go to another planet, and by the time it's done, you are surprised to find yourself on the physical planet and actually in a room of a house....much less one that you're familiar with.   

This is probably the best description I have read about this song. :clap:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3761 on: January 21, 2020, 06:22:04 AM »
 :lol

I've actually listened to Vector last week for the first time in awhile and feel like I did originally. Too short and it ends poorly.  Affinity has a much better ending IMO and I feel Vector would have benefitted with one more solid song to end it. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3762 on: January 24, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »
Just noticed in Devin Townsend's latest social media post that Haken and the Contortionist are rotating as "main support"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7t0fXDhyl4/?igshid=2et2nstje1vu shows the dates with * or ** to signify who's the main support.  NYC and Philly are both Haken, Boston is not.  Not sure that makes plans different for folks.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3763 on: January 24, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »
Damn it. Would have much preferred a longer set from Haken for the Boston show... The Contortionist doesn't do much for me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3764 on: January 24, 2020, 03:38:57 PM »
Does anybody know if St Louis is the only non-Townshend show? Looking in your direction, Nick. I've found references to a Pitt show with just Haken and The Contortionist, but it doesn't seem terribly legit.

Personally, I wish I'd waited to buy my tickets. I'd have preferred to spend that money seeing Haken headline somewhere.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3765 on: January 24, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »
Does anybody know if St Louis is the only non-Townshend show? Looking in your direction, Nick. I've found references to a Pitt show with just Haken and The Contortionist, but it doesn't seem terribly legit.

Personally, I wish I'd waited to buy my tickets. I'd have preferred to spend that money seeing Haken headline somewhere.

Devin's latest IG post that I shared doesn't show a Pitt date so that may just be Haken and The Contortionist.  Now, who headlines that show I have no idea.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3766 on: January 24, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »

Devin's latest IG post that I shared doesn't show a Pitt date so that may just be Haken and The Contortionist.  Now, who headlines that show I have no idea.
You're right. Songkick is showing Haken in Pitt on the 17th, though. It's listed as Haken and TC.

edit: Looks like Jefferson, LA, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3767 on: January 24, 2020, 03:56:07 PM »
Airbnb and ticket purchased for St. Louis. Will likely book a flight next wee :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3768 on: January 24, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
EB, you going to St Louis too? Would make for an epic dtf meet up. I honestly was looking at going to the dallas show since I need to start burning vacation and I've got no plans plus the brooklyn and boston shows right now seem ridiculous for a ticket. But I dont know if I'll do that and end up just going to philly but if everyone's going to st louis....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3769 on: January 24, 2020, 04:59:15 PM »
EB, you going to St Louis too? Would make for an epic dtf meet up. I honestly was looking at going to the dallas show since I need to start burning vacation and I've got no plans plus the brooklyn and boston shows right now seem ridiculous for a ticket. But I dont know if I'll do that and end up just going to philly but if everyone's going to st louis....
Giving it very serious thought. If Haken is playing a proper headlining show in this country I want to see it. I'm just figuring out how I could catch one of them on the cheap as I've already got Europe and Mexico on my concert calendar this year.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3770 on: January 24, 2020, 05:28:09 PM »
Giving it very serious thought. If Haken is playing a proper headlining show in this country I want to see it. I'm just figuring out how I could catch one of them on the cheap as I've already got Europe and Mexico on my concert calendar this year.

Unfortunately I am likely out for St. Louis. Being in the middle of the week is just a killer considering it falls the week before Cruise to the Edge starts.

That said I'm still looking into swinging the New Orleans show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3771 on: January 24, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
Airbnb and ticket purchased for St. Louis. Will likely book a flight next wee :hat

Awesome.  :tup :tup

...and then you are coming as well, right? ;)

Hope to see ya in town for the show!

Unfortunately I am likely out for St. Louis. Being in the middle of the week is just a killer considering it falls the week before Cruise to the Edge starts.

Bummer, but I get it. Those middle of the week concerts in another city are pretty rough.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3772 on: January 24, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
Yeah, its Sundayness certainly helps. I've got the PTO to burn, but I'll be blowing through a lot of my stockpile. I've also got friends that have been wanting to drag me down there for ages. Might give them the opportunity. Franky, though, NO just never really had much appeal to me. Not that StL has been beckoning to me or anything, but it seems more my sort of place than NOLA.

That said I'm still looking into swinging the New Orleans show.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3773 on: January 24, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »
I was thinking about both STL and NO, but the flight alone for New Orleans is as much as my flight and my airbnb in St. Louis, and then add on weekend lodging in New Orleans... pass.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3774 on: January 27, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »
Has there been any sort of official confirmation that StL, NOLA, and Pitt are actual Haken headliner shows?
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3775 on: January 27, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
Has there been any sort of official confirmation that StL, NOLA, and Pitt are actual Haken headliner shows?

HAKEN themselves on social media announced the St. Louis show as a headliner show....I don't believe there's even an opener.

https://redflagstl.com/event/haken/

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3776 on: January 27, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »

HAKEN themselves on social media announced the St. Louis show as a headliner show....I don't believe there's even an opener.

https://redflagstl.com/event/haken/
Thanks. Just found the post. StL and NOLA are Haken shows, and Pitt/Richmond are co-headliners with TC. That's what I was missing.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3777 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:07 PM »
Posted my personal update in the Devin thread too but I bought and booked myself for March 2nd in Philly.  Just easier and cheaper than any other option to see Devin Townsend and Haken (as main support).  Since I took the day off from work, I hope to get there early. Maybe some good philly cheese steaks after  :metal  Since the show in Brooklyn is a Saturday, I will wait till the day of to maybe pick up a decent priced second hand ticket, but I almost doubt it considering the prices today that they will be "decent" plus getting to Brooklyn from where I am in NJ is maybe just as long or even worse and more expensive than getting to Philly.  I'm open to going to both, but I'm happy to confirm I am going to one of them

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3778 on: January 31, 2020, 09:15:05 AM »
Kev just texted me a cool update that HAKEN announced....looks like St. Louis will be one of four headline shows they're gonna play 'Affinity' in it's entirety along with hinting that it's Aquarius's 10 year anniversary they said "we thought we'd go all out and celebrate that album too". Don't know if that means the whole things is being played but they said it's going to be an 'epic set' so.....sounds like a killer show!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3779 on: January 31, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »
Wow thats awesome!  :metal :metal