Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437274 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2450 on: June 21, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
I know very well about Ray's vegan meals thanks to Nick!

Yeah Ray has been posting hilarious instagram stories about baking vegan cakes for his mum  :lol
I had the pleasure to hang out with the guy once, he is a hilarious and ver humble dude.
any rock can be made to roll

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2451 on: June 21, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Thanks to Nick we are with Ray, Rich and Joey Frevola from Kyros.  Oh and Nick :lol at a vegan restaurant.   The food was dynamite!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2452 on: June 21, 2018, 09:35:45 AM »
Thanks to Nick we are with Ray, Rich and Joey Frevola from Kyros.  Oh and Nick :lol at a vegan restaurant.   The food was dynamite!

Dude, if that place was near me I'd eat Vegan regularly, it was insanely good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2453 on: June 21, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »
Vegan food, when done right, is delicious.

(Disclaimer: one of my best friends part owner of a restaurant specializing in vegan dishes)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2454 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
I know very well about Ray's vegan meals thanks to Nick!

Yeah Ray has been posting hilarious instagram stories about baking vegan cakes for his mum  :lol
Ray's parents are absolutely lovely.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2455 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Nick, I could eat that every day it was that good.

I can't wait to pick up the CD tomorrow!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2456 on: June 22, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »
L-1ve is now out basically everywhere!

In additional to the interview with Ray already posted we also talked about the new live set (and upcoming set from Devin Townsend) on our latest discussion podcast here: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/talking-perspectives-episode-eight/
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2457 on: June 22, 2018, 11:59:18 AM »
So the main takeaway from that is that the new studio album could well be here before the year is out. That's exciting news indeed!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2458 on: June 23, 2018, 06:15:44 AM »
Nothing new album related......

But....I was listening to Haken and for some reason I thought about making my own dream setlist...This is what it became.

(I don't own Aquarius or else there'd be plenty of them. Still need to acquire and listen to that album...)

The Path
Earthrise
Portals
Pareidolia
Bound By Gravity
Visions
-------
Shapeshifter
The Endless Knot

Edit: I just realized Shapeshifter needs to be after Portals. Duh...

Edit 2: It actually does work both ways. I just can't choose...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:36:15 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2459 on: June 23, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
With the exception of Initiate, the set list on that last tour was pretty stellar. I am not always fond of medleys, but the one they did for the first album was very well done, we got Visions in full, and tons of stuff from the last two albums.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2460 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
I’m also not a big fan of medleys, but I also think they did a great job on aquamedley. And it was a great selection of songs, no doubt, although if L-1VE had insomnia, mind’s eye, portals and shapeshifter instead of visions I would be even happier 😉
It seems Nolly from Periphery is mixing the new album:
https://www.loudersound.com/news/haken-plan-to-release-new-studio-album-later-this-year
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2461 on: June 23, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
Over time, I find that, while I like the whole album, the only songs I got out of way to listen from Visions are the title track and Deathless (two of my favorite songs by the band in general).  Meanwhile, I listen to most or all of the other three albums. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: June 23, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
I got my CD/DVD yesterday but didn't have any time to watch, I plan on doing that today  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2463 on: June 23, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »
I was pretty happy with the medley. It was my first time seeing them (and probably the first time many people in the states have seen them) and I wanted a setlist that covered as much ground as possible. Condensing the Aquarius stuff into one medley that managed to hit most of the highlights was a nice way to make that happen IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2464 on: June 23, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »
I’m also not a big fan of medleys, but I also think they did a great job on aquamedley. And it was a great selection of songs, no doubt, although if L-1VE had insomnia, mind’s eye, portals and shapeshifter instead of visions I would be even happier 😉
https://www.loudersound.com/news/haken-plan-to-release-new-studio-album-later-this-year

FWIW that article is just referencing the interview I already posted here! :p

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2465 on: June 23, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
Yes, it’s true!
I didn’t heard the original interview, is it correct the information of Nolly mixing the new album?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2466 on: June 23, 2018, 10:29:03 PM »
So I watched the DVDs last night and, I'm not sure if it's the tv I played it through or not, but was it just me or were the vocals a bit hard to hear in some songs/sections? They seemed buried in the mix to me at times, and I couldn't quite make out his words, let alone hear them at all in some moments. The instruments all sounded nice and crisp, but the vocals were drowned out and it was kind of a downer. Maybe I need to watch them on a different tv or something, but I'd like to hear what others say about it first before I think I'm going crazy...

Over-all, though, it's an amazing concert, and a great set list! What a superb first live album for the band. I hope they continue releasing live albums from here on out if they're this good or better!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2467 on: June 23, 2018, 10:46:42 PM »
The instruments all sounded nice and crisp, but the vocals were drowned out and it was kind of a downer.

Drowned in a flood? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2468 on: June 23, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
So I watched the DVDs last night and, I'm not sure if it's the tv I played it through or not, but was it just me or were the vocals a bit hard to hear in some songs/sections? They seemed buried in the mix to me at times, and I couldn't quite make out his words, let alone hear them at all in some moments. The instruments all sounded nice and crisp, but the vocals were drowned out and it was kind of a downer. Maybe I need to watch them on a different tv or something, but I'd like to hear what others say about it first before I think I'm going crazy...

Over-all, though, it's an amazing concert, and a great set list! What a superb first live album for the band. I hope they continue releasing live albums from here on out if they're this good or better!

-Marc.

It was very weird for me, I had the same feeling at the beginning playing those tunes on iTunes (just over a portable Bose speaker). When I watched the promo video file with headphones, his voice was perfectly hearable... I later re-listened on iTunes/Bose and Ross' voice was audible way better..

I can't explain that at all  :rollin
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2469 on: June 24, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »

-Marc.

It was very weird for me, I had the same feeling at the beginning playing those tunes on iTunes (just over a portable Bose speaker). When I watched the promo video file with headphones, his voice was perfectly hearable... I later re-listened on iTunes/Bose and Ross' voice was audible way better..

I can't explain that at all  :rollin

Very odd, indeed. I'll have to listen to the CDs at some point soon and see if they're any better.

Also, any chance we'll ever get the ProgPower tracks as a digital download from the band at some point? I'd love to add them to the live album proper as a sort of "bonus tracks" set! I suppose I could try and rip the audio from the DVD, but that's such a pain. I'd rather throw a couple bucks to the band directly for downloads of those four songs, which total nearly 48 minutes! That's practically a live album in itself! A shame they couldn't have been on the CDs themselves since the live album is only 114 minutes - with some clever editing, all the songs could have fit onto 2 CDs...ah well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2470 on: June 24, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »
I ripped my CDs into iTunes and then onto my iPod and I didn't notice any issue with the vocals.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: June 25, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »
I watched most of the DVD and bonus DVD over the weekend.  I wouldn't say there was an issue with the vocals, but there were a few spots I feel like I agree that the vocals got muddied in the mix, but not to the point of annoyance, just that it was noticeable a few times.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2472 on: June 25, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »

That's good for Haken. Nolly's mixes are fantastic!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2473 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »

That's good for Haken. Nolly's mixes are fantastic!

Agree :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2474 on: June 29, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »
Okay, I give in. I've been lowkey listening to Haken on and off since The Mountain, but I never caved in and became a big fan the same way most of DTF did. Until now. I embrace Haken in all of their glorious prog, humor, cheese, heaviness, complexity and neon sunglasses. :lol

Just ordered L-1VE on Amazon, bought it again on iTunes, along with The Mountain and Restoration. Should be a good enough start for now, since L-1VE has most of Affinity on it already and I'm not as familiar with Aquarius and Visions as I am the two more recent albums.

Can't wait to hear this heavier-sounding, Nolly-produced new studio album coming later in the year! :hefdaddy :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2475 on: June 29, 2018, 11:50:12 AM »
Love the new live album and Ross is kicking ass! They all are!!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: June 29, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
I've watched it twice now (it arrived yesterday), and this release has definitely taken them up a few more spots on my list of favourite bands ever.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2477 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
I discovered that all of the audio was posted on the official Haken YouTube page so I gave it a listen. It sounds really, really good! Still excited for the DVD to come in the mail and watch it though.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2478 on: June 29, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »
Still need to get the DVD.  Wow, the audio is really good on this live album.  Love it.  :hefdaddy

Edit:  Wish they could've fit in Falling Back to Earth.  :(   Still...an awesome live album.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:57:11 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2479 on: June 30, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »
It's goofy that neither Falling Back to Earth nor Pareidolia are part of the main concert, instead relegated to being on the additional DVD as bonus footage, but the set list is still mostly really good.  I got this the other night and haven't had a chance to watch all of it yet, but I did check out 1985, the Aquarius medley and Visions.  Looked good to me, although the camera barely showing the guitarist playing that incredible solo about 14 minutes into Visions was a major epic fail.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2480 on: July 01, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
I feel like the live release doesn't really do justice to the live Haken experience. Wish the crowd was mixed more since that's (at least me) appreciates the energy in a Haken live show. Been enjoying the FW live album more...

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2481 on: July 04, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »
Been listening to Aquarius a lot lately. Such a great album! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: July 04, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Oh yes, fantastic :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2483 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
Finally watched the live DVD from start to finish last night at a friend's house.  Pretty great. :metal

I am not sure who Raymond Hearne pissed off to where he got so little up-close screen time, but considering the small budget they had for this, they did mostly a good job.  Hopefully, their popularity will surge and they will be able to upgrade the look and quality for the next DVD shoot a few albums down the line or whenever. Despite those flaws, this is a must-have for any current fan. :coolio

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: July 07, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
As always I'm late to the party. Had heard of them but for whatever lame reason I never gave them a go.  Just gave them a first listen. SERIOUSLY impressed!!!  Listening to "Visions" Remastered.