Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437291 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2030 on: June 19, 2017, 04:06:00 AM »
I'll stick to Celestial Elixir. Strong contenders are 1985, In Memoriam, and Crystallized.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2031 on: June 19, 2017, 04:36:18 AM »
Sheesh, don't know if I can pick a single favourite. Those that are right up there at the top for me are Drowning in the Flood, Deathless, In Memoriam, Falling Back to Earth, 1985, Red Giant and The Endless Knot.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2032 on: June 19, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
It's really tough to pick just one so I'm gonna go with either Pareidolia, Earthlings or Falling Back to Earth depending on my mood  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2033 on: June 19, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
For me it's definitely still Crystallised.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2034 on: June 19, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
The Point Of No Return or Snow. I used to say Pareidolia but I listen to that song really rarely so I cannot say it's my favourite anymore.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2035 on: June 19, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
No idea why you would listen to Snow when Crystallised exists, but ok. I feel like they improved the song in every possible way.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2036 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
I think my favourites are Cockroach King, Red Giant and The Endless Knot.

Crystallised has some of my favourite moments in any Haken song, but overall I feel it's just a little too disjointed.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #2037 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »
No idea why you would listen to Snow when Crystallised exists, but ok. I feel like they improved the song in every possible way.
Hmm, I'd say that's debatable. The two have a pretty different sound, due to half of the band being different. Snow has a more dark, emotional feel to it, and appears to be more focused on falling into a depression and then getting better again, while Crystallised is less dark and the story seems to focus on growing up and learning to live with the fact you aren't a kid anymore. That's just my take on it though, feel free to disagre. I personally prefer Crystallised, as I think it sounds better, but it doesn't feel as emotional as Snow does, so I can understand why some people prefer Snow. I still sometimes listen to Snow because it's nice to hear something different.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2038 on: June 20, 2017, 03:43:53 AM »
My favorite is still Celestial Elixir. No other song has had that big an impact on me on first listen.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2039 on: June 20, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
I think I've listened to Crystallized less than 10 times. I liked it at first listen but after that I felt it was disjointed particularly near the end. The chorus of Crystallized and the ending doesn't give me almost any emotion, while in Snow I love them. I don't know why, because they are similar.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2040 on: June 21, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
I plan on seeing them in September. Anyone have any info on what they've got at their merch booth for this tour? Prices?? I'm super stoked to see them!
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: June 27, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »

This. Celestial Elixir and Streams are close though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ruby Inferno

« Reply #2042 on: July 03, 2017, 03:42:37 AM »
Is that a legit thing being discussed within the band?  If so, that would suck to see them become like Spock's, where the albums become less frequent because it is their hobby on the side, rather than their main gig/job.  Hopefully, the tour this year will go well, and you have to think that over half of the band playing on that Shattered Fortress thing could give them more exposure.
Aha, finally found the interview where Richard says they're looking to make Haken a full time thing: https://youtu.be/HgD1tEjtF2g?t=2m49s

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2043 on: July 08, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
Is that a legit thing being discussed within the band?  If so, that would suck to see them become like Spock's, where the albums become less frequent because it is their hobby on the side, rather than their main gig/job.  Hopefully, the tour this year will go well, and you have to think that over half of the band playing on that Shattered Fortress thing could give them more exposure.
Aha, finally found the interview where Richard says they're looking to make Haken a full time thing: https://youtu.be/HgD1tEjtF2g?t=2m49s

Thanks for posting that. :tup :tup

Sadly, their upside is probably limited due to the style of music they play, so it will tough to get to that point where they can all afford to be full time musicians with nothing on the side.  Having six guys in the band probably makes it hard for each individual to make too much of a profit either.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2044 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
My favourite Haken song is Visions, followed closely by Celestial Elixir, then 1985 and Aquarium.

Offline Ruby Inferno

« Reply #2045 on: July 10, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

Sadly, their upside is probably limited due to the style of music they play, so it will tough to get to that point where they can all afford to be full time musicians with nothing on the side.  Having six guys in the band probably makes it hard for each individual to make too much of a profit either.

Yeah. £100 split between all 6 of them is roughly £16.6 each. :(

They deserve so much success. They're talented, they're clearly very passionate about the music, and they're lovely people.

It's a shame how underappreciated prog is by the general population. Prog is beautifully complex and amazing. It deserves so much more recognition.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2046 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »

They deserve so much success. They're talented, they're clearly very passionate about the music, and they're lovely people.

It's a shame how underappreciated prog is by the general population. Prog is beautifully complex and amazing. It deserves so much more recognition.

While this is all mostly true, Haken have managed to push things much further than other bands in their genre and could pull it all off with a break or two. Ask yourself this, how many bands formed in the last 10 years have managed to not only very successfully tour Europe, but also have managed to crack North America with no major commercial acclaim or big publicity break? They are about to embark on the scope of a headlining tour unparalleled by almost any of their peers in that regard.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ruby Inferno

« Reply #2047 on: July 10, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
While this is all mostly true, Haken have managed to push things much further than other bands in their genre and could pull it all off with a break or two. Ask yourself this, how many bands formed in the last 10 years have managed to not only very successfully tour Europe, but also have managed to crack North America with no major commercial acclaim or big publicity break? They are about to embark on the scope of a headlining tour unparalleled by almost any of their peers in that regard.
That's very true, actually. I saw them live for the first time in March, and my brother who saw them in the same city last year said the venue they played in this year is considerably larger than the one last year. I do hope they keep growing at this pace. :D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2048 on: July 10, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
Haken's success is insane. I have no doubt that as long as they continue touring and making new music at the same consistency they will continue on their trajectory of success. Probably among the few (if not the only) prog band from this decade that will be able to keep up with other "middle tier" prog draws, such as Devin Townsend.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2049 on: July 10, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
I'm pumped to see them this September! I still can't believe they're coming through St. Louis but I'll take it! I dig Sith Aye as well and they're opening for them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2050 on: July 10, 2017, 08:56:33 PM »

I suppose that is true, even if the venue they are playing at here holds no more than 200-300 people.

With any luck, they will be back in a few years and be playing the venue next door to 2-3 thousand people. :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2051 on: July 10, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Kev.... Delmar Hall is supposed to max out at 750. Seems high but that'd pack that place out. I would imagine the show this fall will have 300 or so there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2052 on: July 11, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
Still debating whether or not to see them in Pittsburgh at the end of August.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: July 11, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »

Delain has done this as well, saw them as an opening act in the US for awhile and they did their first full headline tour earlier this year, same with Amaranthe who've now done multiple headlining US tours.  Granted, they aren't progressive, but small time European metal bands that have broke into the US market on some level.  Sadly, Haken arent at their level yet if I am comparing the venues and attendance, but they can get there with continued touring.  They definitely have the chops, but they need to be able to keep touring here.  That's the one thing similar to the bands I mentioned, the constant touring of the US.  I feel like those bands play here twice a year and that's how they get the exposure.  Delain is already coming back again.  It's another reason why I think Haken touring as the opener for a much bigger band, say DT, would be huge for them. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2054 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »

I totally agree with this, but the majority probably want music they can just stick on as background noise to their daily tasks, ie. they don't actually want to *listen* to music. Many of those same people can quite easily spend 2 hours or more watching a movie or reading a book, but they aren't willing to put in what is more often than not less time to listen to an album or a symphony, which are movies and books for the ears.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2055 on: July 11, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »

The correct answer is yes.
Photobucket sucks.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2056 on: July 11, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »

:lol

I know, I know... Honestly, these guys have never clicked for me the way they seem to for many here. I don't dislike them, just not super into them.

I'm sure they put on a killer show though and tickets are cheap so I'm sure I'll end up going.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2057 on: July 11, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Go man! I decided last minute to go see them when they came near and it was a fantastic decision :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2058 on: July 11, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »

I know, I know... Honestly, these guys have never clicked for me the way they seem to for many here. I don't dislike them, just not super into them.

I'm sure they put on a killer show though and tickets are cheap so I'm sure I'll end up going.

If you are a fan at all, given how cheap tickets are, I'd go.  I probably would have gone a year ago, when I was still lukewarm on the bulk of their material (as opposed to now, having finally gotten into them in a big way).

Kev.... Delmar Hall is supposed to max out at 750. Seems high but that'd pack that place out. I would imagine the show this fall will have 300 or so there.

Sounds about right. I expect a similar turnout as we had at the Neal Morse Band concert.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2059 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:17 AM »

If you are a fan at all, given how cheap tickets are, I'd go.  I probably would have gone a year ago, when I was still lukewarm on the bulk of their material (as opposed to now, having finally gotten into them in a big way).

Thats pretty much where my train of thought is at the moment. I checked last night, and it looks like even if I don't get around to ordering tickets ahead of time, I could walk up night of the show and get in for $25. I'll probably end up ordering a couple ahead of time and trying to find someone to go with me though  :lol

Offline Ruby Inferno

« Reply #2060 on: July 13, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
Thats pretty much where my train of thought is at the moment. I checked last night, and it looks like even if I don't get around to ordering tickets ahead of time, I could walk up night of the show and get in for $25. I'll probably end up ordering a couple ahead of time and trying to find someone to go with me though  :lol
Where's your Octavarium though?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
:clap:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2062 on: July 13, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2063 on: July 13, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »

I totally agree with this, but the majority probably want music they can just stick on as background noise to their daily tasks, ie. they don't actually want to *listen* to music. Many of those same people can quite easily spend 2 hours or more watching a movie or reading a book, but they aren't willing to put in what is more often than not less time to listen to an album or a symphony, which are movies and books for the ears.

I laughed when I read your post and it rings so true.  Nick can relate to my comment.  Beardfish has a song called 'Ode to the rock and roller' that speaks of your comment.  One line from the song is 'they didn't come here to listen, they just came here to drink, so play those three cords over and over so  they don't have to think'.

I miss beardfish :sad:
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2064 on: July 13, 2017, 03:26:45 PM »
I've been relistening to Restoration and I must say I found new appreciation for Crystallized. The melody starting at about 4:20 and the entire "passages of time" section is so beautiful.