Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439422 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1960 on: May 02, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
I love both but Affinity is just a hair better in my book.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1961 on: May 02, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
This might've been mentioned before, but I could easily see years from now The Mountain vs Affinity being discussed in the same way that DT fans discuss I&W vs Awake.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1962 on: May 02, 2017, 09:46:21 PM »
This might've been mentioned before, but I could easily see years from now The Mountain vs Affinity being discussed in the same way that DT fans discuss I&W vs Awake.

And just like with that debate, the earlier album is clearly the better one. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: May 09, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
The Mountain and Affinity are both incredible, and I find my favorite switching between the two depending on my mood. They are definitely different enough to make the choice incredibly difficult.

However, one objective thing The Mountain does have: a longer runtime.  :laugh:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
:P
« Reply #1964 on: May 09, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
The Mountain and Affinity are both incredible, and I find my favorite switching between the two depending on my mood. They are definitely different enough to make the choice incredibly difficult.

However, one objective thing The Mountain does have: a longer runtime.  :laugh:

In your opinion.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1965 on: May 09, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
Affinity rules tho! 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:29:07 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1966 on: May 10, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
I find that the high points of The Mountain are better than Affinity for me (The Architect doesn't have a partner on the same level to compare against the Falling Back to Earth + Pareidolia tag team), but Affinity is overall a more consistent album with fewer songs that I don't at least really like yet.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: May 10, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
Like Haken? Click and join the fun over at P&S.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50221.0

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1968 on: May 27, 2017, 06:44:35 AM »
I totally missed the boat on it when I first heard this band, but The Point of No Return is one of their best songs.  That main keyboard melody (first heard around :45) is totally awesome, and when it is brought back at the climax at the end of the song, that is great, great stuff.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1969 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:34 PM »
Hmmmm, my attempt to bump this thread failed.

Looks like I need to talk smack about the singer's voice and/or Cockroach King again...:P :biggrin:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1970 on: May 30, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »
Got the VIP upgrade for the Philly show. Once you factor in the free t-shirt it comes with, not a bad deal.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1971 on: May 30, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
 :lol

Kev, I've stayed away from playing them for a while because I was overplaying them but im ready to spin them again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1972 on: May 30, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
See, for me, after being a lukewarm for a while, I have finally gotten into them in a big way and have overplayed them this spring.  They really only have a few songs I do not like at all now.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1973 on: May 30, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »
I keep on meaning to spend some quality time with Aquarius and Visions, but Restorations, The Mountain, and Affinity are just too damn good to not listen to.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1974 on: May 30, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
It's easy for me to hit it all since I made an mp3 CD for the car, and since the only have four albums plus an EP, it all fits on there.  My growing love for The Point of No Return is helped by it being the first song on the CD (the songs are on the CD in chronological order), so when I pop the CD in, I will always listen to that before skipping around.

Really, the only songs I never or almost never listen to are Darkest Light, Eternal Rain and Initiate. Those three stand out to me as the three weakest songs they have done.  I don't listen to Nocturnal Conspiracy a lot, because for me to listen to a 13-minute song on a regular basis, it has to be damn good (at worst), and while not a bad song, it's not damn good.

At this rate, my 10 favorites would be:

The Point of No Return
Streams
Celestial Elixir
Deathless
Visions
The Path/Atlas Stone
Because It's There
Falling Back to Earth
Somebody

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:20 AM »
My favorite song at the moment is Endless Knot, it has so much power that I'm always headbanging when it comes from the playlist  :metal

1985 is my another favorite, I love Ray's drum work in Affinity, especially the first minute in 1985 and first minutes in Architect are so challenging that I always get lost somewhere!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1976 on: May 31, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
The keyboard player is still my favorite member of the band, but the drummer is pretty great, too.  Both guitarists sound really good, although I have no clue who plays what. :lol :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1977 on: June 03, 2017, 04:38:22 AM »
The keyboard player is still my favorite member of the band, but the drummer is pretty great, too.  Both guitarists sound really good, although I have no clue who plays what. :lol :lol

I have the same problem, they're both equally skilled at playing and their style of playing is also pretty similar. They have small nuances in their solos that make them stand out but sometimes I find out I'm wrong when I guess who plays what.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1978 on: June 03, 2017, 04:52:20 AM »

I have the same problem, they're both equally skilled at playing and their style of playing is also pretty similar. They have small nuances in their solos that make them stand out but sometimes I find out I'm wrong when I guess who plays what.
They're honestly really not. Hen has a much smoother, jazzier, style, more legato playing, more tapping, more versatility. Charlie is more JP in style, more shreddy.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: June 03, 2017, 05:27:46 AM »
Rich is dead on.  You see that live.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1980 on: June 03, 2017, 05:43:17 AM »
Also to say that in terms of soloing, I don't find Diego that interesting for the most part. But his sound design is phenomenal and a huge part of Haken's overall sound.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: June 03, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
Sort of like Tony Kaye in the 80's Yes.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1982 on: June 03, 2017, 06:50:36 AM »
How much did Kaye actually play on those records?  I always thought that Rabin did a lot of the keyboard work and Kaye was there in name only to play a little and give more credence to them using the Yes name (even though Kaye was part of the original Cinema group before Anderson came aboard and it became a Yes record).

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of that many solos Tejeida plays, but that is okay, since keyboard solos are not easy to nail. His overall sound and style are both awesome, though. The solo at the end of Drowning in the Flood definitely sounds like they borrowed Jordan Rudess for that song. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: June 03, 2017, 06:59:04 AM »
I can't answer that but I've seen many pictures of Kaye in the studio for those albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1984 on: June 03, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
BTW, why is the band touring for the 10 year anniversary of their first album when it came out 7 years ago? 

Second, why is a band this new already doing an anniversary tour for a record?  Seems like that is what bands do once they are past their prime and are needing a hook to sell concert tickets.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1985 on: June 03, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »
The tour is for the 10th anniversary of the band not of their first album  :P And I don't think they need it as a hook to sell tickets as they just did a headlining tour for affinity before this and afaik are still rising in popularity in the prog scene.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1986 on: June 03, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »
Right, I get that. Neither of my questions were meant to be a criticism of any kind. It just seems kinda weird.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: June 03, 2017, 10:55:50 PM »
They are riding their new popularity and this is really the first year the tour is worldwide.  It with help them immensely.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1988 on: June 03, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
Yeah, it's definitely weird for a band to do it this early in a tour, but they are riding that line between Haken as a hobby and Haken as a possible main job, and if this helps them ride the wave towards that, I'm all for it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1989 on: June 04, 2017, 02:41:14 AM »
The tour is for the 10th anniversary of the band not of their first album  :P
This.

And yeah I guess maybe 10th anniversary is a fairly early one, but at the same time they're not making a huge song and dance of it. I think they were just looking to tour more after the Affinity tour, and it being the 10th anniversary gave a nice thing to tour around.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1990 on: June 04, 2017, 08:05:58 AM »
Makes sense. :coolio

Yeah, it's definitely weird for a band to do it this early in a tour, but they are riding that line between Haken as a hobby and Haken as a possible main job, and if this helps them ride the wave towards that, I'm all for it.

Is that a legit thing being discussed within the band?  If so, that would suck to see them become like Spock's, where the albums become less frequent because it is their hobby on the side, rather than their main gig/job.  Hopefully, the tour this year will go well, and you have to think that over half of the band playing on that Shattered Fortress thing could give them more exposure.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1991 on: June 04, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
What I remember from talking with I think Rich on CttE was that they're approaching but not quite at the point where they can ditch their day jobs for doing Haken full time.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1992 on: June 04, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
Is that a legit thing being discussed within the band?  If so, that would suck to see them become like Spock's, where the albums become less frequent because it is their hobby on the side, rather than their main gig/job.  Hopefully, the tour this year will go well, and you have to think that over half of the band playing on that Shattered Fortress thing could give them more exposure.
They all have day jobs already, or at least other ways to make money such as other bands/projects, teaching, etc. And Haken has been buiding in stature, popularity and success so I don't think any of them are looking to make Haken less of a thing - if anything I think they see it as being more reliable and steady.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1993 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
Ah, okay. That is good to hear.  :coolio

I listened to all of Visions the other day from start to finish and really enjoyed how it was a concept album that had little nods along the way that reminded you that was a concept album. As much as I love Neal Morse's music, the whole "Let's beat you over the head with reprises on every concept album" (that, really, The Who started with both of their concept albums) can be a bit tiresome at times, and it's good to see that other prog acts do not succumb to that way of thinking.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1994 on: June 04, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Yeah I like that Haken still has very distinctive songs on the concept albums, but a handful of nods and reprises to notice and enjoy.

I be am boner inducing.