Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437283 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1785 on: March 19, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
I have been pronouncing it Hack-en

I did as well until I saw them.  I didn't get the thread title either until after this realization.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1786 on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
I have been pronouncing it Hack-en

I did as well until I saw them.  I didn't get the thread title either until after this realization.

Glad I am not alone :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1787 on: March 19, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
Jay you Hak

en.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1788 on: March 19, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1789 on: March 19, 2017, 07:42:27 PM »
I actually had to go and look up an interview on youtube ahead of seeing them last year so I could hear the name pronounced because I had no clue as to the proper way :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1790 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:20 AM »
IMO:

Aquarius: 9/10
Visions: 9/10
The Mountain: 10/10
Affinity: 9'5/10

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1791 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »
Ordered my copy of Aquarius, which should be here tomorrow. At last!

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1792 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
I'm going to be that guy for a second, but I remember way back when Aquarius first came out. And I remember randomly just finding the album on youtube at the time, and it didn't have too many views... I was just immediately pulled in and I was so impressed with how inspired the band sounded. I liked it all man, the growls and the 'mm-bop-bop' included. For some reason I never expected them to become the giants that they are today, but I'm really glad that they found their stride and gained some serious popularity.

Aquarius holds a special place in my heart with them, but I would say that The Mountain is probably their greatest work so far. Just an extremely talented group, and I hope that they take the DT route and work hard throughout their career.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1793 on: March 20, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
I love Affinity, but does anyone else feel the overall sound is cleaner on Visions and The Mountain? 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1794 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »
I'm going to be that guy for a second, but I remember way back when Aquarius first came out. And I remember randomly just finding the album on youtube at the time, and it didn't have too many views... I was just immediately pulled in and I was so impressed with how inspired the band sounded. I liked it all man, the growls and the 'mm-bop-bop' included. For some reason I never expected them to become the giants that they are today, but I'm really glad that they found their stride and gained some serious popularity.

Aquarius holds a special place in my heart with them, but I would say that The Mountain is probably their greatest work so far. Just an extremely talented group, and I hope that they take the DT route and work hard throughout their career.

I discovered the band randomly when Aquarius came out, because I saw a 90/100 review for a progressive metal album. I would like to find awesome discoveries like that also in these years.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1795 on: March 20, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
I love Affinity, but does anyone else feel the overall sound is cleaner on Visions and The Mountain? 
I think I like Affinity's production the most out of all their albums actually
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1796 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

I discovered the band randomly when Aquarius came out, because I saw a 90/100 review for a progressive metal album. I would like to find awesome discoveries like that also in these years.
That's awesome. Yeah, it's a great feeling when you randomly discover something great like Haken or what have you. I also remember listening to one of the posters on this forum's prog-cast and discovering Frost* from one of their shows. That was an epic feeling hearing No Me No You for the first time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1797 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »

That's awesome. Yeah, it's a great feeling when you randomly discover something great like Haken or what have you. I also remember listening to one of the posters on this forum's prog-cast and discovering Frost* from one of their shows. That was an epic feeling hearing No Me No You for the first time.

I'm going to guess that was me, just basing off the fact that half the time I play Frost* it's that song. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1798 on: March 20, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »
Nick just got a big prog woody.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1799 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »
I think I like Affinity's production the most out of all their albums actually

Same here.  I don't have an issue with the sound of any of their albums. but Affinity really stands out, especially in the lower end, which really has a major punch at times, and without ever overpowering the rest of the music.  That section around 2:20 or so in The Endless Knot (which I think it was people refer to as the dubstep section) wouldn't have worked nearly as well if it the production had let it down.  Sonically, that section sounds perfect.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1800 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »
Kev, that section live was so amazing. Even middle age fat dudes (yup, I'm calling myself out) got into the moment and jumped up and down be dammed of injury. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1801 on: March 20, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
I can see that.  I mean, I don't wanna see that :p, but I can see it. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: March 20, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »
Seriously.  :lol

No, seriously.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1803 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »
That section is one of the only times at any concerts I actively look forward to and participate in that sort of shenanigan.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1804 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »
Lol yep, it was When Prog and Power Unite alright. So thanks for that, Nick. Haha.  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »
Kev, that section live was so amazing. Even middle age fat dudes (yup, I'm calling myself out) got into the moment and jumped up and down be dammed of injury. :lol

Definitely one of the most fun live moments from their show  :metal

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »
Trying to get in to Haken today. It's been awhile since I made the attempt. I decided to do it different this time and start at Affinity and go backward, which looks like it was a good idea. So far I'm really enjoying it. 1985 and Lapse particularly.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1807 on: March 21, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »
That section is one of the only times at any concerts I actively look forward to and participate in that sort of shenanigan.

So glad they saved that for the outdoor set at CttE, such a cool moment :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1808 on: March 21, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
Listening to Aquarius in full for the first time. Prior to this, I was only familiar with Celestial Elixir, so the remaining songs are pretty much new to me. First of all, pretty cool to hear bits of Celestial Elixir in Point of No Return and Streams. Second, I didn't realise this was a concept album. It's quite easy to pick up the story by reading the lyrics.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1809 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
I think I'm finally coming around on 1985.  I was iffy on it at first, but really liking it now.  Not sure if this has been pointed out, but the vocal effect around the 4:20 or so mark sounds totally like the one in the Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star. Given the 80s vibe of the song, that has to have been intentional.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1810 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »
I think I'm finally coming around on 1985.  I was iffy on it at first, but really liking it now.  Not sure if this has been pointed out, but the vocal effect around the 4:20 or so mark sounds totally like the one in the Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star. Given the 80s vibe of the song, that has to have been intentional.

Very plausible, if not entirely intentional. "1985" was honestly the first song to REALLY grab me when I first listened to Affinity, easily an instant favorite, and it still is. I think I have an affinity (har har) towards those synths and electronic drum sounds because I grew up with Transformers, and when the 1986 movie came out, I was still just a baby, but my brother was a Transformers fan, and I grew up to be one too, so when I was old enough to understand it, I watched the HELL out of that movie, and fell in love with Vince DiCola's sound track, so hearing his influence in a Haken song just really touched me in a super-nostalgic way. You could play that entire middle section in the Transformers movie and it'd fit right in with every other DiCola track!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1811 on: March 21, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »
A friend of mine, who doesn't have nearly the love for 80s music that I do, was surprised right away when I wasn't a fan of 1985; he figured it would be right up my alley. :lol :lol  I have said before that most of their songs take time to really grow on me because of the vocals, and that one just took longer.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1812 on: March 22, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »
Since my move last year to Raleigh, I have been WAY behind on music purchases.  Just received Affinity in the mail.  Will be listening to it over the next few days.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1813 on: March 22, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »
As I am seeing Haken on Saturday, for the first time, I am currently just blasting all their music. I really do love all their albums and would love them to do a set that really represents all albums equally (closing with Visions  :heart) but I know that is unlikely to happen  :tdwn

I do really like Affinity though so I won't complain about a Affinity heavy set.

Anyway, back to Pareidolia  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1814 on: March 22, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Pretty sure they're playing Visions/Aquarius heavy sets man, since they're celebrating the re-issues of those albums. Though last year when Affinity just came out, the setlist was very Mountain/Affinity heavy and it was still an awesome concerts. Even songs I normally don't like (1985 and Earthrise) came out great.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1815 on: March 22, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
I would love them to encore with Visions but I think I might be getting my hopes up.

I've just been on setlist.fm and their average set for 2017 so far is:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/haken-2bd434ee.html?year=2017

I'll be plenty happy with a set like that so I know I'm not going to be disappointed. My personal preference would be to just change the encore to Visions. I'm taking two friends who have never heard of Haken (one doesn't even listen to metal or know what prog is  :lol and the other has a history of getting knocked out at gigs and me taking him to the hospital) so it should be fun times.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:50:59 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1816 on: March 22, 2017, 10:54:03 AM »
Yeah, but this is a separate tour celebrating their 10th anniversary and the recent reissue of their first two albums, so I would expect a fairly different setlist from the above, with a bit more of their older stuff worked in.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1817 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
Dude can you please take the setlist off this thread and just put a link in here? I don't want to know what they're gonna play and it's almost impossible not to see a couple of songs when scrolling through.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1818 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
Since my move last year to Raleigh, I have been WAY behind on music purchases.  Just received Affinity in the mail.  Will be listening to it over the next few days.

Let us know how you like it. 

My last song of the night before sleep is Bound by Gravity.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1819 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »
I've really come around on Visions (the song) and think it might be their best long epic yet.  I think it is more consistently great than Celestial Elixir, which has that bad ass instrumental section, but is merely good the rest of the way, IMO.  Visions is a great listen from start to finish.

However, I am still struggling to get into any of the other songs from the Visions CD.