Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439414 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1085 on: May 03, 2016, 07:11:57 PM »
This album is weird.   It's not instantly grabbing me like The Mountain did....but parts of it are...and I can't stop listening to it.   I view this as a good thing, because it means that this sound is a drastic left turn from what I'm used to, and my mind has to adjust.   

It's just blowing my mind how totally different sounding this album is compared to anything else they've done before.    ...or almost anything for that matter.   It's like TesseracT on steroids.   

EDIT:  I've got it!  It's like TesseracT and Anathema and the newest album from BTBAM had a baby. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:21:03 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline FsF

« Reply #1086 on: May 03, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »
Only halfway through my first listen, and this album is blowing me away. That bit in 1985 is freaking unreal, matches any of BtBaM's juxtaposed sections.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: May 04, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
I have a crush on the chorus in Lapse.

I've listened to the album many times and I still can't remember what Lapse sounds like  :lol

Listen again!

"Days and nights seem never eeeeeendiiiiiiing
Space and time bleed into oooone"

And I'm the opposite. Zydar, ever since I read your post a couple hours ago, I haven't been able to get the chorus of Lapse out of my head. :lol

Awesome!  ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1088 on: May 04, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »
I like Lapse - the super groovy guitar solo and the final chorus in particular are great. But it definitely took a few listens for it to sink in. As I said in my review, positioned between the two "epics", it's easy to not really notice it. I prefer it to The Architect now, though, I think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1089 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:46 AM »
Been listening for a while now and I enjoy it alot! There's a lot of musical nuggets everywhere which I love. I feel the album is a good mix of everything I love about Haken combined with some fresh new elements. Honestly haven't really anything negative to say other than I didn't really dig his growl in The Architect, I don't know it just sounds a bit weak and forced but not a big deal overall.

The first three tracks Initiate, 1985 and Lapse are just amazing. Can't really say the album tops Visions which has been my favourite album for along time though.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1090 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:50 AM »
The album didn't really grab me on my first listen either, but now I love it really, I've listened to it a lot in the last few days. The electronic, post rock and djentish influences mixed with solid prog metal is just amazing

The architect is probably my favourite now, though Red Giant has by far the best vocal moment/melody imho. Only Lapse hasn't really grabbed me yet, but as Ariich Said, it's between two amazing epics :azn:

Bound by Gravity, especially it's intro reminds me a lot of Sigur Ross (of untitled 3 I think). I
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1091 on: May 04, 2016, 06:51:21 AM »
Didn't pay too much attention to it before, but Red Giant sneakily entered my head and won't leave anytime soon. Great song.

Also, the more I listen to The Architect, the more I feel like it's one of the weaker songs. Will post a ranking after a few more spins.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1092 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »
After several spins, I can't find anything I dislike about the album. Too early to rank it but it could become my favourite.

It once again demonstrates Haken's ability to craft albums. The are more technically proficient musicians out there, lots of bands that have written better songs and are more avant-garde at pushing boundaries, but I don't know any band that has released four albums in a row that resonate with me like these.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1093 on: May 04, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
I didn't really dig his growl in The Architect, I don't know it just sounds a bit weak and forced but not a big deal overall.
The harsh vocals aren't Ross, it's Einar from Leprous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1094 on: May 04, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
It's still too soon to say, but I think Affinity is by far my favourite Haken album  :angel:

Btw: any of the Dutch people, any idea how late the show in Zoetermeer ends? I have to leave at 23:00 if I want to get back to Groningen with the train, but with two support acts, I think Haken would only just have started playing then :p
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1095 on: May 04, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
Yea I don't know if it's worth it if you have to leave at 23:00, like you said there's going to be two supporting acts. Never been to De Boerderij before though so I have no idea how they handle their intermissions and stuff, and they probably arrange that kinda stuff with the bands themselves.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1096 on: May 04, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
Didn't pay too much attention to it before, but Red Giant sneakily entered my head and won't leave anytime soon. Great song.

Also, the more I listen to The Architect, the more I feel like it's one of the weaker songs. Will post a ranking after a few more spins.

I feel the same way with Red Giant, it's magnificent. About the Architect, I love the sung parts, but I think the rest of the song is just ok.

Also, guys, do we all agree on the first solo in Lapse being a synth solo? I've found some people saying that this solo (the one breaking just after the vocals) is a guitar with some weird effect, but I'm pretty sure it's a synth solo, followed by a guitar solo.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1097 on: May 04, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
The first is definitely a synth solo. You can't get those little pitch shifts on a guitar.

The solos might be a reason why I don't like the song as a whole that much to be honest. It's so incredibly peaceful and immersive (I love the prechorus so much) and then you just get this minute of solos that don't fit the mood of the song at all thrown in. That might just be me growing out of prog though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1098 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
Got my order from BurningShed today, and I've got to say, I'm SOOOO glad I ordered the 2 CD version. I've listened to most of the instrumental disc, and there's a lot of stuff in there that I didn't hear before without the vocals covering them up.

Also, the mediabook is NICELY done, very good hardcover book outside. Also, the band-signed postcard I got with it is pretty sweet, too. Add Haken to my list of bands I have full-band signatures from! :tup

"1985" is still slaying me good, too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1099 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:16 AM »
Very good record indeed. Probably my second favorite this year so far after the new Myrath album,where I love all the tracks. Haken just isn't the kind of band that writes good ballads IMO (almost no-one is, I consider at least 9/10 ballads in general to be emotionless filler tracks), so I find the whole of Bound By Gravity to be boring. Red Giant is ok, but I also find that one to be rather boring after a couple of minutes. The rest of the album is great though, much better than The Mountain. There's only one thing that annoys me elsewhere, and that's the low E's played on guitars. It's just a few notes too low to sound anything near good.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1100 on: May 05, 2016, 05:12:54 AM »
There's only one thing that annoys me elsewhere, and that's the low E's played on guitars. It's just a few notes too low to sound anything near good.

You must learn to appreciate good dj0nt

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1101 on: May 05, 2016, 07:00:51 AM »
This album was finally delivered today  ;D commencing first listen as I type  :metal

Offline me7

« Reply #1102 on: May 05, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »
This album was finally delivered today  ;D commencing first listen as I type  :metal

I imagine someone typing this line while affinity.exe builds up in the background :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1103 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
Finally gave this a few listens. Wow. They did it again. Very, very solid album and amazingly consistent as there isn't a single weak track here.

I'm actually surprised by the lack of love for The Architect. Might be in the top 3 of this album for me. Lapse is also criminally underrated, too.

It still needs to really sink in and I can see it being a grower, but as it is it's a really good effort. Probably an 8/10 for me, though I'm not sure it'll top The Mountain.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1104 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
The instrumental part of the Architect after the growls is awesome :metal

The last three tracks are the ones I enjoy less at the moment, but maybe I have to listen more to them. I don't listen to Haken very much usually, even if I love all their tracks and they are one of my favourite bands

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1105 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
The transition from the second verse of Lapse into the key solo is freaking awesome.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1106 on: May 05, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
Great first impression, I only started listening to Haken in January so all their albums still feel fresh to me. Trying not to OD on them but it's tough, really impressive band and don't think they've released a mediocre album yet, all top quality  :metal

Along with Native Construct I think they're easily the best musical discovery so far this year for me  :hefdaddy

Offline me7

« Reply #1107 on: May 05, 2016, 02:55:40 PM »
Affinity is definitely the most interesting album I've heard since Quiet World :metal

Since you mention Haken and Native Construct, have you checked out Leprous? Not that they sound similar, all three bands are very different but they are all top-notch at what they do.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1108 on: May 05, 2016, 04:23:47 PM »
Affinity is definitely the most interesting album I've heard since Quiet World :metal

Since you mention Haken and Native Construct, have you checked out Leprous? Not that they sound similar, all three bands are very different but they are all top-notch at what they do.

Yea man, I downloaded Bilateral yesterday actually and was really impressed on first listen. I had previously heard a few tracks off The Congregation but wasn't blown away. I've seen a lot of positivity surrounding Bilateral on here so went for that album, not disappointed so will be sure to check out the rest of their back catalogue soon. Also finally got around to downloading Vertebrae by Enslaved, really enjoyed that too so going to slowly digest their back catalogue as well.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: May 05, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
I've listened to the album a few times now and I LOOOVE the album musically. My early impressions vocally though are that I have trouble understanding what Ross is singing in many spots and that hurts my enjoyment a bit at the moment. Maybe if I sit with the lyric sheet that might help. I also feel like his voice isn't my thing over some of the heavier sections when I'd prefer a more powerful voice belting it out, but I always seem to love his voice over softer sections. For example, "As Death Embraces" is my favorite Haken song. I think it's a flawless tune. Overall, I'm impressed with the album. It's nice to see the band continue their string of solid releases. They're really making their mark in progressive metal!

On a related note, with the band providing an instrumental disc of Affinity, I'm curious if various fans and aspiring vocalists will record themselves singing the tunes and post them online.  It would be interesting to hear how other vocal styles sound over the music.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:55:59 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1110 on: May 05, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »
I have some trouble understanding what Ross is singing in various spots and that hurts my enjoyment a bit at the moment.

Wow you must hate DT then.  :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1111 on: May 05, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »
I've listened to it about 5 times. It's good, but not as good as The Mountain imo. The only song I consider truly great is 1985. Maybe The Architect. I don't like the Opeth sounding part though because, well, it does sound way too much like Opeth.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1112 on: May 05, 2016, 11:59:30 PM »
Does anyone else love the "ooooooo-ooooo" at the end of Lapse? I think it's gorgeous

Offline Newmz

« Reply #1113 on: May 06, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
I can't stop jamming to the architect's chorus (3:50).  The guitar line is so aggressive! It gets me amped. :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: May 06, 2016, 05:31:05 AM »
I've listened to it about 5 times. It's good, but not as good as The Mountain imo. The only song I consider truly great is 1985. Maybe The Architect. I don't like the Opeth sounding part though because, well, it does sound way too much like Opeth.

Meanwhile, I've also hit 5 or 6 listens, and I think it's only barely second place to Visions. There isn't a lesser moment on the whole damn thing for me. The clear vinyl will be mine!

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #1115 on: May 06, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
In my opinion this is their best album yet. Every song has a strong identity by itself, and they all flow together perfectly as an album. It has lots of new ideas and sounds while still being coherent and emotionally impactful. I just adore everything about this album (minus one or two very minor gripes). It's one of those albums that seems like it was written exactly for me. I've loved every Haken album previously but none of them really hit me like this one. I've probably listened through this album 12 times in the past week, and someone I continue to enjoy it more. I'm trying to keep myself from listening to it because I don't want to get old too quickly, but nothing else sounds appealing.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1116 on: May 06, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »
You'd get slaughtered if you said The Astonishing is better :lol

But TA is better.   Okay, I have only heard Affinity once, but most of it sounded like the usual okay to pretty good Haken stuff, while much of TA is pretty great.  Not even close in my book.

LOL Kev.  Such a fanboy.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1117 on: May 06, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »
Yea I don't know if it's worth it if you have to leave at 23:00, like you said there's going to be two supporting acts. Never been to De Boerderij before though so I have no idea how they handle their intermissions and stuff, and they probably arrange that kinda stuff with the bands themselves.

I've been there a bunch of times and De Boerderij is usually quite considerate with people that have to leave early. I think the show ends at around 23:30, that would give 3 hours playing time total. 1.5 hours for both support acts and 1.5 hours for Haken. Sounds very reasonable to me.

See you there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1118 on: May 06, 2016, 09:07:50 AM »

Meanwhile, I've also hit 5 or 6 listens, and I think it's only barely second place to Visions.
saying it's second to their least good album isn't much of a compliment :neverusethis:

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1119 on: May 06, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
affinity.exe + Initiate
The opening sounds like a tame version of Descent of the NOMACS. I really dig Initiate and love how the main riff returns a few times later on.

Full on 80's sound. Might take some getting used to, but there is something about those 80's drums that makes me smile everytime. The whole thing kind of shows that Haken still have that sense of humour.

Lapse
Didn't leave much of an impression really. The instrumental part reminds me of Polyphia and I like the upbeat approach, but this one is probably the weakest track for me.

The Architect
This one is a little tough because long tracks usually take some time to digest. I enjoy how the song get's heavier as it progresses, but it drags a little bit to me, especially the King Crimson Discipline part. I'm indifferent regarding the growling - but I'm not a fan of growls anyway, so the fact that they don't bother me here is probably as good as it's gonna get for me. I know many people love the song, but I feel like it's one of the weaker tracks.

Earthrise
Nice change of the mood after the previous song, but in the end, Earthrise falls into the same category as Lapse for me. Neat song, but didn't leave too much of an impression.

Red Giant
Awesome! Love the way the drums progress basic beat throughout the song. Love the vocals and the vocal effects, love the atmosphere, just a great song overall.

Endless Knot
Okay song, but it get's some bonus points because of the instrumental breakdown. Great bass!

Bound by Gravity
Really enjoy this one, especially the vocals and the ambient, spacey atmosphere. Works really well as a last song.

I can't really rate song by song, but if I introduce three tiers, this would be my rating:

top tier: Red Giant, affinity.exe + Inititate, Bound by Gravity
middle tier: 1985, The Architect, Endless Knot
lower tier: Lapse, Earthrise

Great album!