Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440413 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3395 on: November 27, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
I checked setlist.fm and it looks like there were no Bilateral tracks in St. Louis. 

Song three was "From the Flame" which I really like and five was "The Price" which is their most viewed song on youtube.  The 4th song was a cover, I didn't know the original song, but I enjoyed it when I saw them although I'd rather have seen an original song personally since the sets aren't too long.

I wish I had paid attention better as to which song(s) it was that I liked best. I know it was after their first two songs....then it was a couple there that I dug....then I think the one that RJ is talking about came up because i think I seen a video of it and it seemed to be the popular one.

Haken's light show did bug me a little. Leprous had a fair amount of movement in their lighting, but I didn't notice it strobe much. Haken used quite a bit of strobe. At the Dallas show I was behind some [really inept] moshers, and all of the strobing made it particularly hard to tell what was happening in front of me. Either I couldn't see somebody until they were right on top of me, or I'd see somebody coming and get ready to check them only to find they weren't moving at all (which really makes you look silly).

totally opposite in St. Louis. If anything, there was a point where the fog got a bit out of hand with HAKEN....you couldn't even see Diego for a couple minutes.... :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3396 on: November 27, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »
When I saw them in Montreal, they played Mb. Indifferentia from Bilateral. I think it was the 4th or 5th song.

Yes, it looks like they are playing the one above or Acquired Taste from Bilateral every third show.  I looked on setlist.com and not sure how reliable it is, but for one of the early shows they apparently played Forced Entry from Bilateral, which is a crowd favorite from the old days and a song that I thought of Haken when I first hear it.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3397 on: November 27, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
When I saw them in Montreal, they played Mb. Indifferentia from Bilateral. I think it was the 4th or 5th song.

Yes, it looks like they are playing the one above or Acquired Taste from Bilateral every third show.  I looked on setlist.com and not sure how reliable it is, but for one of the early shows they apparently played Forced Entry from Bilateral, which is a crowd favorite from the old days and a song that I thought of Haken when I first hear it.

That's probably my favorite song I've heard from them.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3398 on: November 27, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »
Could anybody pick up a Vector drumming book? I can pay for it plus shipping and beer money or I could trade it for a Haken VIP XL shirt. Whatever your choice. PM please. I live in the states. Dumb for not picking it up in Austin.

Shouldn't be a problem to grab one for you when I hit the Chicago show (assuming they're still in stock).

PM sent.
Thanks

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3399 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
I thought the dark stage with Leprous was odd at first, but I get what they are going for.  It is cool too when the whole stage lights are flashing and you see the band members in the flickers, especially since they are all moving the whole time.  They just need to to something about those blinding lights that aim directly in the crowd and make you wish you had anti-seizure medicine. :lol :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3400 on: November 27, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »

That's probably my favorite song I've heard from them.

Forced Entry is one of my favorite songs by any band. That said, they played it a lot on the last tour, and it is pretty long, so I don't mind them not playing it now to make room for more new material.  I'd love to see it again in the future though.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3401 on: November 27, 2018, 10:49:03 PM »
Just got back from the show in Nashville.  The place holds 500 and it was not sold out, but a good crowd. 
Bent Knee - They started the set with a chant ' not dead yet ' and happy to be back after the accident.  They even had a jar at the merchandise booth for van replacement donations.  Musically they were ok, but not my thing.

Leprous - As expected, nothing from Bilateral.  About half the songs rocked, but the others sounded similar and not much meat to them. The strings were a nice touch.

Haken - Really tight set that seemed to fly by.  The songs sound much better live.  Nil by mouth was awesome live and as Lonestar said the encore was :metal. The drummer and keyboard player were particularly awesome.

If you get a chance to see the show, you will not be disappointed. 

Now on to my next two concerts, Steven Wilson and Dream Theater.  Hopefully they will be as good as Haken.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:13:33 AM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3402 on: November 28, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »
Now on to my next two concerts, Steven Wilson

yea man this saturday for me, looking forward to it

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3403 on: November 28, 2018, 07:02:01 PM »

Haken - Really tight set that seemed to fly by.  The songs sound much better live.  Nil by mouth was awesome live and as Lonestar said the encore was :metal. The drummer and keyboard player were particularly awesome.

Agreed. Everyone in the band does a tremendous job on their respective instrument, but I watch Tejeida and Hearne the most.  Tejeida is as good as just about keyboard player out there right now, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a better drummer right now in the prog scene as good as Hearne.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
The Chicago show was amazing as always. It was awesome to see all the familiar faces there. It was unfortunate that my car ended up being broken into during the concert but...that was just due to unfortunate planning on me and my friend's part.

I can't wait for them to come back again!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: December 03, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
The Chicago show was amazing as always. It was awesome to see all the familiar faces there. It was unfortunate that my car ended up being broken into during the concert but...that was just due to unfortunate planning on me and my friend's part.

I can't wait for them to come back again!

Damn that sucks.  Did anything special happen for the last show of the tour?  Would have been cool to see both bands do something together.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3406 on: December 03, 2018, 10:18:09 AM »
Not this time. A few of the other bands members messed with Haken as they were playing their encore, one got Richard to mess up one of his solos. But the didn't play together this year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3407 on: December 03, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
Not this time. A few of the other bands members messed with Haken as they were playing their encore, one got Richard to mess up one of his solos. But the didn't play together this year.

Ahh cool, at least good to see some last show shenanigans

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3408 on: December 13, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »

Agreed. Everyone in the band does a tremendous job on their respective instrument, but I watch Tejeida and Hearne the most.  Tejeida is as good as just about keyboard player out there right now, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a better drummer right now in the prog scene as good as Hearne.
While I agree that the drummer is really good, I don't think he holds a candle to Blake Richardson.

I did finally get around to listening to Vector enough to give it a rating. It ended up with an 8/10. It's really good, but I don't think it was as adventurous as Affinity. At least not to my ears. Definitely one to revisit though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3409 on: December 30, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
The VIP packages for European tour are up at:

https://www.hakenmusic.com/store

Just bought my VIP upgrade for the Hamburg show. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3410 on: December 30, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
Any word on the support for the European shows?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3411 on: December 30, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
Not yet from what I saw, but there will be some kind of support I guess as my ticket says "Haken plus special guest".

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3412 on: December 30, 2018, 08:59:22 AM »
How awesome it would be to just see Haken perform a Rush-esque 180 minute set.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3413 on: December 30, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
It would kill Ross.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3414 on: December 30, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
And they only have 5 albums and an EP to pick from. At the moment they'd be playing most of their discography in a single night.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: December 30, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
And they only have 5 albums and an EP to pick from. At the moment they'd be playing most of their discography in a single night.

Yeah....I think we're good with that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3416 on: December 30, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
How awesome it would be to just see Haken perform a Rush-esque 180 minute set.
Did anyone say "wish set list time?"  ;)

Set 1:
1. Clear
2. The Good doctor
3. Insomnia
4. Falling back to earth
5. As death embraces
6. Earthrise
7. Aquarium
8. Puzzle box
- - - -
Set 2:
9. Atlas stone
10. Cockroach king
11. 1985
12. Veil
13. Nil by mouth
14. Visions
- - - -
Encore:
15. Celestial elixir

:metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3417 on: December 30, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
Visions followed by Celestial Elixir?

:metal :metal :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3418 on: December 30, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Set 1:

Clear/The Good Doctor
In Memoriam
The Mind’s Eye
Portals
Shapeshifter
As Death Embraces
Drowning in the Flood
Earthlings
Falling Back to Earth

Set 2:

The Atlas Stone
Cockroach King
Puzzle Box
Veil
The Endless Knot
Deathless
Celestial Elixir

Encore:
Bound by Gravity
Crystallised
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline krands85

« Reply #3419 on: December 30, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
Some of the tracks I'd really love to hear would be Celestial Elixir, Crystallised, 1985, The Architect, The Endless Knot, The Good Doctor, Puzzle Box and A Cell Divides.

But I just hope it's a good long set because the first time I saw them it was co-headlining with Leprous (which was cool), but it meant quite a short set, which was truncated even more due to the venue curfew.  :'(
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3420 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »

If I recall correctly, I saw this once, around 2012/13 or so in the Bergkeller Reichenbach (100 people at best). Could be that it was the other way round. It was awesome.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3421 on: December 30, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
Set 1:
Clear
The Good Doctor
Cockroach King
Darkest Light
The Mind's Eye
Portals
Shapeshifter
Celestial Elixer
-----------------
Set 2:
affinity.exe
Initiate
Puzzle Box
In Memoriam
Nil By Mouth
As Death Embraces
Veil
Visions
-----------------
Encore:
Bound By Gravity
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:54:41 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3422 on: December 30, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
Set 1:

Clear/The Good Doctor
In Memoriam
The Mind’s Eye
Portals
Shapeshifter
As Death Embraces
Drowning in the Flood
Earthlings
Falling Back to Earth

Set 2:

The Atlas Stone
Cockroach King
Puzzle Box
Veil
The Endless Knot
Deathless
Celestial Elixir

Encore:
Bound by Gravity
Crystallised

This would be awesome... I love that you included Earthlings too  :tup :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3423 on: December 30, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »
Set 1:

Clear/The Good Doctor
In Memoriam
The Mind’s Eye
Portals
Shapeshifter
As Death Embraces
Drowning in the Flood
Earthlings
Falling Back to Earth

Set 2:

The Atlas Stone
Cockroach King
Puzzle Box
Veil
The Endless Knot
Deathless
Celestial Elixir

Encore:
Bound by Gravity
Crystallised

This would be awesome... I love that you included Earthlings too  :tup :tup

I made it “from the gut” thinking I might tweak it later, but the more I look at it, the more I love it.

In looking back on it, Vector seems a tad underrepresented (considering this “pipe dream” would be a tour for that album) and with that in mind I would try to squeeze either Host or Nil by Mouth into the 2nd set without changing anything else.

EDIT - I just added up all the times and found that I’m running at a little over 66 min for the first set, and a little over 67 for the 2nd set, and just short of 28 for the encore. That rounds off to about a 160min show. So adding one more might be a stretch. But if I did have a full 180 available, I would add Host to the first set and Nil by Mouth to the 2nd. (That way you have one instrumental in each set as opposed to putting both in the first half of the show)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:15:35 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3424 on: December 30, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »

If I recall correctly, I saw this once, around 2012/13 or so in the Bergkeller Reichenbach (100 people at best). Could be that it was the other way round. It was awesome.

Yeah, I saw the same once as well. Was awesome indeed!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3425 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:30 AM »
Support bands for European tour are Bent Knee and VOLA. I guess that means Haken won't get a longer set, but on the other hand, I get to see Bent Knee.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3426 on: January 09, 2019, 04:44:14 AM »
Haken and Vola playing together is such a great moment in modern prog history. However, I still don't feel like travelling. God, I wish they played my city.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3427 on: January 09, 2019, 05:22:54 AM »
Well the last times I saw them they also had two support bands, but then played for at least 90 mins.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3428 on: January 09, 2019, 05:38:42 AM »
Support bands for European tour are Bent Knee and VOLA. I guess that means Haken won't get a longer set, but on the other hand, I get to see Bent Knee.
That's a pity, I was hoping it would only be 1 support band - Haken only played a 70minute set the first time I saw them :(

I've always wondered, what's the reasoning behind having 2 support acts? Is it to pad out the crowd a bit with fans from the smaller bands?
EDIT:
I may have listened to a Vola track a while back, but other than that, I don't know anything about the support bands, so I'll check them out on Youtube  :tup
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:00:52 AM by krands85 »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3429 on: January 09, 2019, 07:18:06 AM »
That's a fucking sweet lineup. Wished Vola toured the States with them. Maybe next run...