Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440064 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3010 on: October 19, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
People (even the band) keep saying they have half the album out, but by running time it's actually only 37%.

If you round that up to 50%, that's half of the album.
:lol

:lol
Sucks because I thought the videos for the Affinity songs were pretty cool, but these look lazy and boring.
*remembers Earthrise video*

Er....

And I had to go and watch it...never though that song could get taken down a notch, but there ya go...the whole time I'm just all "Ross...please just stop..." :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3011 on: October 19, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
I had no issue with the Earthrise video, it was the first thing I saw/listened to by them.  Didn't love it immediately either, but it wasn't a turn off for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3012 on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
It was a fun 80's style video.  It poked fun of that style of videos in the 80's.  What's not to like about it?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3013 on: October 19, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
I inmediately loved TGD and Puzzle Box, but the new song does nothing for me :-\ hope it gets better with more listens. Right now it just sounds like Haken trying to become Leprous.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3014 on: October 19, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
It was a fun 80's style video.  It poked fun of that style of videos in the 80's.  What's not to like about it?

Ross' poses are just cringe-worthy. Not Billy Squire bad, bud on there way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3015 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »

Ross' poses are just cringe-worthy. Not Billy Squire bad, bud on there way.

Just think how many time you had to see that Squire video on MTV back in the day.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3016 on: October 19, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
I'm curious—do we know for sure whether Haken will be the de facto headliners in the upcoming shows, i.e., closing the shows, or whether they will be alternating? Though I've seen it done both ways before, and though I'd personally prefer to see Leprous finish the night off when I see them, my impression is that Haken has the larger US audience.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3017 on: October 19, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
I've enjoyed all 3 songs so far. Pre-saved it on Spotify. I hope I could catch them this tour. Only time available is the Phoenix show, I doubt I'll make the Denver show. The thing about the Phoenix show is Leprous is playing a headline show the night before.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3018 on: October 20, 2018, 05:23:10 AM »
I'm curious—do we know for sure whether Haken will be the de facto headliners in the upcoming shows, i.e., closing the shows, or whether they will be alternating? Though I've seen it done both ways before, and though I'd personally prefer to see Leprous finish the night off when I see them, my impression is that Haken has the larger US audience.

My thoughts exactly. With so many "bubbles of thought" these days, caused by the social networks algorithms, it's easy to have a wrong perception about things, but my impression is that Haken are MUCH more popular and talked about than Leprous.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: October 20, 2018, 06:13:36 AM »
I have no idea who is or isn't more popular, but Leprous has a youtube video with 1.7 million views, a million more than Haken's best video.  Judging by shows listed on setlist.fm both bands have played around 50 times in the US as well.  Leprous is new to me, but it seems like they are on fairly even ground with maybe an argument for Leprous actually?  I'd love to know for sure who is headlining the NYC show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3020 on: October 20, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »
I listened to The Good Doctor when it first came out...once. And I’ve already forgotten it.

I remember really liking it, but I really want the album to be a fresh experience, so I’ve been avoiding all the other releases completely. Only one more week!!!

That's been my impression with all three songs they've released. :lol :lol

Listened to each once, thought they were all okay, and didn't feel the need to revisit any of them again since.  Oh well, I will get the whole album next week and see how it is.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3021 on: October 20, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
I've recently been spinning The Good doctor like crazy, it's ridiculously infections. However, I decided not to catch up with other singles, given that the album will be relatively short. Friday couldn't come any slower, though.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #3022 on: October 20, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »
First impression: best two songs on the album are GD and PB.. This is not to say I didn't like the album (it's Haken after all), and I feel it'll grow on me.. :metal
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3023 on: October 21, 2018, 06:21:59 AM »
I'm quite amazed that The Good Doctor hasn't got its hooks firmly implanted in some of you.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #3024 on: October 21, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
Yeah, me too.. It totally rocks.. :metal
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #3025 on: October 21, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
I'm avoiding listening to any of it until the album comes out. I want that nice clean first listen-through.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: October 22, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
I like some hear have listened to all the singles but only a couple times each.  I didn't want to spoil the flow of the album, but also didn't want to miss out on a solid taste of it. I found The Good Doctor to be my favorite of the three songs so far, but that could change with more listens.

I've been listening to Leprous a lot to check them out before the show in a couple weeks, but once this new album comes out it'll be time to binge that.

Online The Letter M

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #3027 on: October 22, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
It seems that Haken are going to release a vinyl LP with the 4 L-1VE bonus tracks recorded at Prog Power!
https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Haken_-_L-1VE_-black_LP-CD-/16496

I don't quite understand this release but Haken is always a no brainer for me.
I just hope they will release the "actual" L-1VE on vinyl too!

I'm just gonna repost this here since it was completely ignored and I'm not sure if it was just overseen between all the Puzzle Box hype  :lol

Since the new album seems to have overshadowed any attention to the upcoming release of L+1VE, I'm bumping this reply up so I can see if anyone knows where I can order this set within the US so I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of shipping. I'd really like to get this, mostly because of the CD, unless the band are willing to sell the four tracks as a digital set. I saw one listing on Amazon for the vinyl, but it's not listed as being Available, so I'm not sure if they'll even get it. There isn't even a price listed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #3028 on: October 23, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »
It seems that Haken are going to release a vinyl LP with the 4 L-1VE bonus tracks recorded at Prog Power!
https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Haken_-_L-1VE_-black_LP-CD-/16496

I don't quite understand this release but Haken is always a no brainer for me.
I just hope they will release the "actual" L-1VE on vinyl too!

I'm just gonna repost this here since it was completely ignored and I'm not sure if it was just overseen between all the Puzzle Box hype  :lol

Since the new album seems to have overshadowed any attention to the upcoming release of L+1VE, I'm bumping this reply up so I can see if anyone knows where I can order this set within the US so I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of shipping. I'd really like to get this, mostly because of the CD, unless the band are willing to sell the four tracks as a digital set. I saw one listing on Amazon for the vinyl, but it's not listed as being Available, so I'm not sure if they'll even get it. There isn't even a price listed.

-Marc.

I just checked the shipping from insideout for you, you'd pay 18,99 for the LP (and CD) plus 10€ shipping to the States. That's 29€. Not sure if you wanna spend that kind of money (given that you're not a vinyl collector).

Where does omerch ship from?

I think it's not available on Amazon because it will be released in December! I'm sure it will become available there once it get released.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3029 on: October 23, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »
Quick past-album post while we wait for Friday:

I think Somebody might now be my favourite Haken album closer. As much as I love Visions, and it remains high on my list, Somebody is stunning.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: October 23, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
Really? For me Somebody is nowhere near Celestial Elixir, Visions nor Bound by Gravity.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: October 23, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
1. Celestial Elixir

2. Visions

3. Somebody

4. Bound by Gravity

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3032 on: October 23, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
I listened to The Good Doctor when it first came out...once. And I’ve already forgotten it.

I remember really liking it, but I really want the album to be a fresh experience, so I’ve been avoiding all the other releases completely. Only one more week!!!

This applies to me as well. Quite looking forward to hearing the full thing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3033 on: October 23, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »
I'm quite amazed that The Good Doctor hasn't got its hooks firmly implanted in some of you.
I mean when you've only listened to it once,

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3034 on: October 23, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »
1. Celestial Elixir

2. Visions

3. Somebody

4. Bound by Gravity

Totally agree with this one, furthermore, Celestial Elixir is still my favorite Haken song!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3035 on: October 23, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
Oh yeah by the way extra wrong, bound by gravity is great & visions is the weakest (though not by that much)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3036 on: October 23, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »
Bound By Gravity by a margin...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3037 on: October 23, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »
Bound by Gravity is in my top 10 album closers by anyone ever. It would take a lot to top that one.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3038 on: October 23, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »
I'm afraid that Celestial Elixir will forever be the ultimate closer, although I think Somebody is pretty great as well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3039 on: October 23, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
Celestial Elixir (It's the song that made me fall in love with the band, and still their best epic, if not best song)
Bound By Gravity
A Call Divides / Somebody

Visions
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3040 on: October 23, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
All four album closers are not only great tunes, but I think all four would be in my Haken top 10. 

Controversial opinion: Somebody is the best song on the Mountain.  I know most will disagree with that, but it is my favorite.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3041 on: October 23, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »
All four album closers are not only great tunes, but I think all four would be in my Haken top 10. 

Controversial opinion: Somebody is the best song on the Mountain.  I know most will disagree with that, but it is my favorite.

I can’t believe that’s a controversial opinion. I don’t only think it’s the best song on The Mountain, I think it’s Haken’s best song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3042 on: October 23, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »
There ya go!

My top 5 Haken tunes is pretty firm now (in no specific order):

Celestial Elixir
Visions
Somebody
Crystallized (shut it, Joe :P)

It seems like Cockroach King, Falling Back to Earth and Pareidolia get the most love, and I get why (yes, I have come around to liking CK because the music is so good, vocals are still annoying to me at times on that one), but I think Somebody beats them all.  The climax in that song is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3043 on: October 24, 2018, 05:37:13 AM »
If I even have a minor complaint about The Mountain, it’s that it is a bit anti-climactic. It’s not that Somebody is bad, it’s just that it’s a 9 in a sea of perfect 10s.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3044 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
If I even have a minor complaint about The Mountain, it’s that it is a bit anti-climactic. It’s not that Somebody is bad, it’s just that it’s a 9 in a sea of perfect 10s.

I totally agree with this! When I listen to the album on its entirety I like the song, but it's the only song I don't listen on its own.